enough already with the hot pink

mrwilson60

I can understand the argument of "why do it for 4 weeks". It doesn't really bother me per se, but it is a little bit of overkill on one issue in a country with so many other problems, both health related and other.

On the flip side - just because there's a lot of issues doesn't mean organizations or individuals should be faulted for putting a focus on one.

Even if reaching out to female viewers to make money is a primary objective of it.

I think it's a cynical bid by the NFL to buy into the national breast cancer lobby and curry favor with the public. Certainly wearing pink socks will do nothing to prevent a single case of cancer.

It would be far more meaningful for the league to have colonoscopy awareness month (brown?) than glomming onto the Breast Cancer Awareness industry.

I think it's a cynical bid by the NFL to buy into the national breast cancer lobby and curry favor with the public. Certainly wearing pink socks will do nothing to prevent a single case of cancer.

It would be far more meaningful for the league to have colonoscopy awareness month (brown?) than glomming onto the Breast Cancer Awareness industry.

And in the long run - it does no harm. I don't mind one bit giving a gesture of support with this.

The NFL is being cynical here how?

I can understand the argument of "why do it for 4 weeks". It doesn't really bother me per se, but it is a little bit of overkill on one issue in a country with so many other problems, both health related and other.

I have no problem with the breast cancer awareness month and the pink stuff. (Although some do - see pinkwashing.)

I would like to see prostate cancer awareness get some play from the NFL with some of the powder blue stuff. MLB does that on Father's Day and it wouldn't hurt to help raise some awareness and funding for prostate cancer research. Prostate cancer is just as serious for men and breast cancer is for women, but way behind in research and funding.

i agree with the original poster 100%

hell, 1000%

if it was for 1 week, absolutely.

or the super bowl even.

but 4 games?

thats a quarter of the season.

the bills wear pink half as much as their away jerseys.

doesnt that seem a tad excessive.

essentially, pink becomes as much of an alternate color in our jersey scheme as white.

nay, essentially, pink becomes as relevant a color in jersey makeups than the home color of the jersey, for every team in the league.

this really doesnt seem excessive for anyone else besides me and the OP?

i find that hard to believe...

Edited by JohnnyGold

i agree with the original poster 100%

hell, 1000%

if it was for 1 week, absolutely.

or the super bowl even.

but 4 games?

thats a quarter of the season.

the bills wear pink half as much as their away jerseys.

doesnt that seem a tad excessive.

essentially, pink becomes as much of an alternate color in our jersey scheme as white.

nay, essentially, pink becomes as relevant a color in jersey makeups than the home color of the jersey, for every team in the league.

this really doesnt seem excessive for anyone else besides me and the OP?

i find that hard to believe...

I agree!

The NFL is being cynical here how?

It is the premiere awareness program in the country, yet very few women make up the NFL demographic. It's an easy PR win for the league but it's a largely meaningless gesture in their hands. They are buying a month of "We Care".

They would have a much more meaningful impact on fan health if they championed men's health issues--they have a captive audience.

And here I was just wondering how long it would take for the juvenile idiots to whine about it this year. Yeah, raising money for breast cancer isn't worth having to see players wearing pink trim for a few games.

Some of you need to grow the !@#$ up.

And here I was just wondering how long it would take for the juvenile idiots to whine about it this year. Yeah, raising money for breast cancer isn't worth having to see players wearing pink trim for a few games.

Some of you need to grow the !@#$ up.

I treat patients with breast cancer. I'm certainly not whining about this. Just pointing out that if the NFL was interested health issues, it would be more meaningful to target their audience, which is almost exclusively male. The biggest cancer killer is lung and it receives a fraction of the funding breast cancer does. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer and it receives even less funding than lung.

Instead, the NFL choses breast cancer research to support--not because it is underfunded (it's the most heavily funded)--but because it is the most high profile cancer (or disease in general) charity in the country. It's a social phenomenon. That's why I thought they were being cynical.

But feels free to whine about whining.

I treat patients with breast cancer. I'm certainly not whining about this. Just pointing out that if the NFL was interested health issues, it would be more meaningful to target their audience, which is almost exclusively male. The biggest cancer killer is lung and it receives a fraction of the funding breast cancer does. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer and it receives even less funding than lung.

Instead, the NFL choses breast cancer research to support--not because it is underfunded (it's the most heavily funded)--but because it is the most high profile cancer (or disease in general) charity in the country. It's a social phenomenon. That's why I thought they were being cynical.

Thanks for your preaching, but this thread wasn't created to debate the NFL's priorities in charitable giving, it's about people having a problem with the color pink.

But feel free to keep sharing your sanctimonious bullish--.

Brain cancer. Lung cancer. Stomach cancer. Bladder cancer. Skin cancer. Prostate cancer.

Add a million other diseases. But the NFL focuses on breast cancer. All month.

The pink thing, for four games, is overkill, ineffective, arbitrary, and obnoxious.

:worthy:

It's ridiculous. And it looks ridiculous.

BTW, I didn't notice any pink on Jim Harbaugh today.

I have no problem with the breast cancer awareness month and the pink stuff. (Although some do - see pinkwashing.)

I would like to see prostate cancer awareness get some play from the NFL with some of the powder blue stuff. MLB does that on Father's Day and it wouldn't hurt to help raise some awareness and funding for prostate cancer research. Prostate cancer is just as serious for men and breast cancer is for women, but way behind in research and funding.

good post

You are wrong...NFL didn't start the program, Dan Snyders wife did and it started with the Redskins and spread to 28 of the teams. It was not chosen because its high profile but because Mrs Snyder is passionate about it and did something about it unlike most people who do nothing.

Thanks for your preaching, but this thread wasn't created to debate the NFL's priorities in charitable giving, it's about people having a problem with the color pink.

But feel free to keep sharing your sanctimonious bullish--.

As you know, this isn't about the color pink. It's about an OP annoyed with the intrusion of the breast cancer advocacy on his enjoyment of the game. You chastised him for this (I respect the basis of your opinion)--not about his aversion "to the color pink". Obfuscation.

There is no sanctimony in my response. Someone asked me why I thought the NFL was being cynical and I responded and gave my reasoning. If you want to join that discussion, I welcome you. If you would rather simply conclude that those who question the NFL's motivation in this are "whiners" and "sanctimonious", you really aren't helping advance whatever point you're trying to make.

Prostate cancer is just as serious for men and breast cancer is for women, but way behind in research and funding.

This. Much like the gender gap in college graduates that favors women, it's one of those things that the PC police would be crying bloody murder about if the situation were reversed and nobody would argue w/ them. But anyone who speaks up for men in this country is an insensitive (and in this case pro-cancer) pig. Whatever.

Edited by BuffOrange

The cause is just but the execution is poor.

Not really. It's got you posting about it. It got a topic started about it on a Buffalo Bills blog site. All because the players are wearing pink. So maybe just maybe someone will talk about it with their wife/girlfriend, they will go get an exam, and catch the cancer sooner than later.

A whole month each season?

Come on man

My sister died of breast cancer on April 17, 2011, at 5:35AM.

I watched her take her last breath.

She was only 42 and left behind a husband and 5-year-old daughter.

You = d-bag

Edited by Marshmallow

My sister died of breast cancer on April 17, 2011, at 5:35AM.

I watched her take her last breath.

She was only 42 and left behind a husband and 5-year-old daughter.

You = d-bag

i can play this game too.

im a cancer survivor, was diagnosed when i was a kid.

made it through.

has nothing to do with the nfl.

millions of people have cancer, millions of people die of different things every day.

they "awareness" color for the cancer i had is lime green.

im deeply offended that you dont think every nfl team should accent its uniforms for 25% of the season in lime green.

im sorry you lost your sister, im sorry i had cancer, im sorry cancer exists -

doesnt mean a quarter of every single nfl season from now until the end of time needs to look like a godd*mn easter egg hunt at a local preschool.

This thread is getting too heated, for all the wrong reasons. I suggest if you really want the NFL know how you feel, contact them directly...

National Football League

280 Park Ave., 15th Fl.

New York, NY 10017

Phone: 212-450-2000

Fax: 212-681-7599

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more. That **** is so obnoxious. If it was for a week I'd appreciate the gesture, but to pull this stunt for 1/4 of the season is overkill. I'd just as soon have them dress the refs in cycler spandex to promote road safety awareness.

I respect your opinion about the NFL going a bit over the top with Breast Cancer Awareness but it is a very common disease that potentially could affect half of the population of the planet, and the better looking half at that.

My wife is a recent Breast Cancer survivor and without the likes of the NFL and so many other organizations out there bringing this disease to light, i could be without a wife and my children could be without a mother right now. Anything that the NFL does regarding this is a positive for everyone.