What is the average age of the posters on TBD?

Dragonborn10

Amusing post!

"My recliner is my Titanic, and Ralph Wilson is the captian." [sic] ....beautifully poetic phrase.

Suggestion: change "is" to "was" and have it engraved on your tombstone. I would love to be strolling through a WNY cemetery and see that epitaph engraved in granite or marble.

Thanks!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 24.

I thought more would be around my age actually. My memory goes back to the days of Todd Collins trying, but failing to become the next Jim Kelly. I was lucky enough to witness the Magical Fluite run around the field and jump into the stands after defeating the undefeated Jags on a beautifully run Boot-leg. I vividly remember the last time we saw the playoffs as well (bad day)

For those asking how someone can become a fan without being conscious for the Super Bowl years, that simply goes back to being born in Buffalo, watching games with my Dad on Sundays. Traveling back to Buffalo multiple times a year to see family, going to games after leaving, and being proud to support the Bills while living in Detroit (I just wish we could get a #1 overall pick a year when a solid QB comes out) 7-9 won't cut it though. I also don't understand how people just pick a team to root for. No pride.

Go Bills!

48. I became a fan when my Economics teacher in 1985 would make fun of the Bills every Monday after another loss. I grew to hate Economics and love the Bills. I am still an eternal optimist, although for some reason last Sunday's loss really hit me hard. I felt like Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part III. Just when I thought they were finally going to be competitive, they rip it away from me...

33. First game was the 1985 season opener against the Chargers in the drizzling rain with Vince Ferragamo at the helm. I was 6 and sat in my Dad's Channel 4 box. I still remember it. They lost, of course. Had season tickets from 87-94 so I saw it all. Of course those seats were outside.

OK random sidebar- from someone who's actually been to all these games that are now legendary, people love to throw around fake temperatures at games they went to. The coldest game I ever went to was a December regular season game against the Raiders when it was 8 degrees. I hear people throw around "below 0" all the time. Never happened* Does anyone else remember that Raiders game?

Edit: *1985-present

Yeah, I remember it, but the coldest game I ever went to was against the Jets - 1993, the day after Christmas. (I believe we clinched the AFC East that day.) Temp was just above 0 and it was windy as hell, making for a wind chill factor around 30-below. Much colder than the Raiders game in '88.

Anyway, I was born the same year as the AFL and the Buffalo Bills. As a small child, almost got crushed by the mob of fans waiting to greet the championship Bills at the Thruway Plaza in 1964. My father put me up on his shoulders so I could see the players, and also to save me from being trampled to death! Still have a mini-football autographed by Daryle Lamonica.

As a got a bit older, friends and I used to go out to (then) Rich Stadium in the mid-70's real early on game day, wait for the moment when no one was looking, and hop the fence. Once inside we'd walk around non-chalantly, and eventually stumbled upon the catering carts as they set up the private boxes. If someone stole a bottle of vodka from your private box back in those days, I apologize - I was a young teenager, and had no money (or vodka)!

After college, went on to live in DC, then Boston, then San Francisco - where a couple of other Bills stallwarts and I started the whole SF Bills Backers/North Star thing. Some years back, made the decision to come back to take care of my aging parents - when I moved from California back to Buffalo, first purchase was Bills season tix. (Second was a 4WD vehicle.)

Now, I'm the one that's aging - and never losing hope that this will be the year...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer:

Yeah, I remember it, but the coldest game I ever went to was against the Jets - 1993, the day after Christmas. (I believe we clinched the AFC East that day.) Temp was just above 0 and it was windy as hell, making for a wind chill factor around 30-below. Much colder than the Raiders game in '88.

Anyway, I was born the same year as the AFL and the Buffalo Bills. As a small child, almost got crushed by the mob of fans waiting to greet the championship Bills at the Thruway Plaza in 1964. My father put me up on his shoulders so I could see the players, and also to save me from being trampled to death! Still have a mini-football autographed by Daryle Lamonica.

As a got a bit older, friends and I used to go out to (then) Rich Stadium in the mid-70's real early on game day, wait for the moment when no one was looking, and hop the fence. Once inside we'd walk around non-chalantly, and eventually stumbled upon the catering carts as they set up the private boxes. If someone stole a bottle of vodka from your private box back in those days, I apologize - I was a young teenager, and had no money (or vodka)!

After college, went on to live in DC, then Boston, then San Francisco - where a couple of other Bills stallwarts and I started the whole SF Bills Backers/North Star thing. Some years back, made the decision to come back to take care of my aging parents - when I moved from California back to Buffalo, first purchase was Bills season tix. (Second was a 4WD vehicle.)

Now, I'm the one that's aging - and never losing hope that this will be the year...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer:

I'm not sure what year my first game was in, but it was late October against the Broncos. I think either 1997 or 1998. We lost in OT. The weather was miserable. Cold rain. My friend and I were totally unprepared. No rain gear. We were soaked while we tailgated, then sat through almost 5 hours of football shivering our asses off. But it was a great experience. Especially for my buddy, the Broncos fan.

I'm 41. Haven't lived in Buffalo since 1988. I'm curious. If you were born after 1990 why do you watch this team? I was fortunate/cursed to become aware of the Bills and went to my first game in 1979. My first taste of Bills' heartache was Ferguson's twisted ankle followed shortly thereafter by Ferragamo and Dufek and 2-14 and 2-14 and Stephenson. I was in college/medical school for the SuperBowl years making many trips back for games. The nonplayoff streak is older than my marriage and my sons. How did some of you survive the 1970's? If you are my age with kids, how do you explain to your kids that they should follow the Bills and not Brady, the Mannings, or now RG3. I live on the West Coast and fortunately the Seachickens are awful too. My two sons' first jerseys were Lynch and Poz. I have no idea what to get them next - Dareus(probably will hold out and demand a trade), Super one tackle Mario, or Spiller (can you where a back-up RB jersey?).

Would love to hear your stories...

I'm 50. Born in Buffalo, went away to college in 1980 and then stayed away for law school. Have been living in the Albany area ever since. Being a Bills fan is just something that is expected when you are involved with me. My ex-wife (originally a Steelers fan) became hooked while watching my excitement as the Bills started to get good in 1988. She's still a Bills fan. My son, born in 1999, has no problem following dad's lead. :thumbsup: My fiancee is from Japan...she doesn't know anything other than golf and baseball so it was easy to make her a fan.

Edited by DerekJ

I’m older than I act and younger than I feel!! I hope one of those changes someday, hahaha. I’m 34 and have been a Bills fan all my life, my whole family has been since the beginning. My first game was in 88 against the Steelers although I really don’t remember too much about that day. Nor do I remember too much about the Bengals game we went to in 89. I do remember going to the Denver game in 1990…we scored 20 points in 77 seconds…that stadium was rocking!! My Dad was a cop and worked all the home games so I never got to go until he gave that up.

I don’t remember that Raider game but I do remember I was working security at that playoff game against the Raiders. I don’t know how cold it actually was but the wind chill was like -30. I’m pretty sure that was the coldest game in Bills history. The Jets game the week before (I think it was the regular season finally) was freezing cold too but not quite as cold as the Raiders game. We had to take shifts in the bathroom because that was the only place that had heaters. I thought I was going to lose some toes at both of those games.

***EDIT*** I found a link for you with the coldest games in Bills history. The Raiders and then Jets games I mentioned are #1 & 2.

http://www.buffalobi...5d-2490123ae81d

It's not that often that you'll hear me say this, but I stand corrected. Well done. I could've sworn it was a regular season game against the Raiders, but you are definitely right. But to my point, how many time have you heard someone say, "I was at a game back in '89 and it was 20 below zero?"

EDIT: OR the Raiders game I was talking about was #3! Oh well, I guess for whatever reason I don't remember those two games at the end of '93 for their coldness. But for some strange reason, I was 9 years old and I still remember being like, Dad it's freaking 8 degrees, this is insane. It's days like those that make you a lot tougher growing up in a place like Buffalo. We all know exactly how to prepare and dress for those conditions. And FWIW, I was at the Bills-Broncos game out here in 2008. And anyone who lives in a dry climate at altitude will tell you that 17 degrees out here doesn't feel anywhere near as cold as it does by the shores of Lake Erie.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

28, old enough to remember the great teams of the early 90's vaguely but not old enough to appreciate them at the time. The last time the Bills made the playoffs, I was a freshman in high school. Just had my 10 year graduation reunion. Still no playoffs :bag:

Oddly enough: my mother is a die hard giants fan and I was raised as such (but never really told I couldn't pick another team) and I watched the Super Bowl in 1990 with my mother. She explained that if "the guy missed the kick, we win."

Sure enough, wide right, we cheered!! But part of me just felt so bad for the other team that had tired so hard and lost. And their logo was "sooooo cooool!!" (remember I was 4 at the time) so I decided I wanted to be a fan of that team even though they just lost the Super Bowl...

If only the charging buffalo wasn't cool in comparison to the word "GIANTS" written on a helmet. Oh well...

Still, I have watched as much of the old AFL teams as I have managed to find (read more about them than any video I have seen) and I have done my best to educated myself about the stuff that came before my time.

One day soon I too hope to have children. And you might as well report me to child protective services now because they will be forced to suffer the same abuse. They too will be punished for my mistake. :nana:

I'm soon to be 50. Have lived in the Toronto area for 30 of those years. I split my fandom between the Bills and the Pats. Grew up in the east coast of Canada where there is a big Pats following. I have been following the Bills for most of the 30 years spent in Toronto so I'm probably the only dual Bills/Pats fan around.

In case anyone is wondering. I am also bipolar in my hockey fandem as well. I grew up a Habs fan but I am a season tix holder for the Leafs.

36, born and raised in salamanca, ny. lived a couple years in pittsburgh but had to come back for bills, buffalo wings, beef on weck and fish fries. i've been a bills fan from the time i was old enogh to pick my own team to root for, and i was spoiled going to all the games in the early 90's. good, bad or otherwise, i will always love my bills!

20 and became a bills fan in 2004. I really don't know why I became a Bills fan. I was not able to watch most games because I don't live near Buffalo. The only reason I can think of is that my grandparents were the ones who influenced me. they live in Buffalo and whenever I went their they would have a lot of bills memorabilia around the house. They also went to all the games and told me a lot of stories of them meeting coaches and players.

Good thread. I have read first 3 pages. Really good stuff.

Aged 33 yrs. I pretty much watched a Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith killing of the Jets on a monday night game and I got hooked. For those that dont know, the bills went to the superbowl that year and lost on a famous "wide right". I cried like a little biach btw. I was a little kid. My wife hates the bills since they lose and make me sad. My kids (little girlies) will be bills fans. I'm sure of that. But right now they make fun of me and the bills. Oh well.

Lived in los angeles at the time. No tie to new york or buffalo of any kind. Still live in Los angeles County.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed loyal to the broncos. But as a little kid you dont like "YOUR" team getting spanked by the 49ers in a superbowl.

26 years old, transplanted from WNY to Chicago, and I inherited my fandom from my dad, uncles, and grandfather during the Superbowl era. I was young and mostly remember the last two of the four Superbowls. Back then I took the losses fine, because I didn't know much better, but I can't imagine having to endure those losses as a die-hard 26 year-old.

35, grew up in Wayne county (Newark) when I was young I loved the helmets. There was a Bells (grocery store) in my town with one of those quarter machines with the plastic helmets in it. I spent every quarter trying to get that bills helmet, after I did I proceeded to ram all of the other helmets off the table with that helmet. I had no idea who the bills were, I just loved that charging Buffalo. When I saw the bills on tv I connected the two and quickly became a fan.

Now I live in Orlando, fl, far from western New York and the finest of people in the world. People ask why do you cheer for this team, I honestly couldn't imagine not. I almost fear the day they win the super bowl, I think I'll die that very moment, but I'll die happy.

35, grew up in Wayne county (Newark) when I was young I loved the helmets. There was a Bells (grocery store) in my town with one of those quarter machines with the plastic helmets in it. I spent every quarter trying to get that bills helmet, after I did I proceeded to ram all of the other helmets off the table with that helmet. I had no idea who the bills were, I just loved that charging Buffalo. When I saw the bills on tv I connected the two and quickly became a fan.

Now I live in Orlando, fl, far from western New York and the finest of people in the world. People ask why do you cheer for this team, I honestly couldn't imagine not. I almost fear the day they win the super bowl, I think I'll die that very moment, but I'll die happy.

Great story. I too had the plastic helmets. At that time I think they only had 28 teams. My memory is messed up. Who cares.

64...will turn 65 between the Houston and New England games. Hopefully we'll have a few W's by then!

Used to watch practices at the Camelot Motor Lodge and later Niagara U. Graduated from NU in '69 and moved to N VA. in '70. I left BUF before Rich Stadium was open for business. Never been back to live in WNY. Beside the Peoples Republic of N VA, I've lived in Chicago, Houston and Seattle but could never get interested in any other teams.

Used to go to pre-season games at the Rockpile for $6 in the mid 60's. Bad seats, usually lost to the same Redskins, Lions as we do now. Took a Cottrell bus from one of the bars in S Buffalo-good times! Always travel with BILLS/SABRES stuff and have met other fans in: England, France, Italy, Germany, and of course in the USA too.

Live down in the low-rent portion of VA. now (Richmond area). Can't sell the house, so I guess I'm stuck sweating with the oldies here!

GO BILLS!

I'm 29 years old, I bleed red white and buffalo blue!!! I remember watching the Bills since I was a little kid like 7 years old. Darryl Talley was my favorite player growing up, he used to wear those spiderman sleeves haha. Carwell Gardner was another favorite too!

Fun thread. I'll play:

I'm 35, and live about 40 minutes away from Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA. I grew up in New England, but they were an awful team in the 80's when I discovered football and were never on TV. My father, a life-long die-hard Patriots fan, had similar reservations to many of you here today about raising me as a fan of an entrenched loser with terrible ownership and a legacy of failure, so he let me go my own way (Except in 85'. That year I was forced to wear a John Hannah jersey every Sunday for the last 6 games of the season. To this day noone is allowed to speak ill of Steve Grogan in his presence.), and by the time 1988 rolled around I was an entrenched Bills fan.

Fast forward to today.

<cue "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin>

I have become my father. My heart and soul are held prisoner by a franchise marred by a legacy of failure and ineptitude. Our stadium looks like it a discarded pile of concrete from 1970's era East Germany. Our owner is out of touch with his fan base, and sees his franchise not as the lifeblood and legacy of his community, but as a slow and steady stream of income. Our roster, long past it's glory days, seems like an endless parade of "has been's", "never will be's", and "who the !@#$ is he's". My Sunday ritual osilates between displays of incredulous anger and apathetic malaise. My recliner is my Titanic, and Ralph Wilson is the captian.

My children, however, will not be like me. I am breaking the cycle. They are being raised as Bills fans, and when our version of Robert Kraft steps through that door, and turns the tide, my children and I will celebrate our victories together. Had my Dad stuck to his guns and raised me a Pats fan, today I'd be an incredible douchebag, but my father would know what it was like to celebrate a Super Bowl victory with his son.

I'll second that. Great Post!!!

i hate to be an accuracy police guy, , but both of those games: foreman being hit with a snowball, and the miami streak ending were at rich stadium. i sincerely mean no disrespect, but thought i should point it out..

Dwight- If you re-read what I wrote, you may have misunderstood...I didn't intend it to read that the Bills beat Miami in the Rockpile. I know we beat Miami in Rich Stadium, as I was there and it remains one of my best memories of attending a game with my Dad.