Jets working out Derek Haggan

Tom stahl

This may seem a little naive but I would be interested to know how players look at something like this. Hagan may well have been told by the Bills there is a decent chance we want you back. He is likely not going to tell the Jets a thing unless and until they sign him to a contract that makes it guaranteed for the year (if he chooses to take that one-time only option). Working him out is one thing, and Hagan is very likely better than their #4 or #5 WR. If I were the Jets I would probably sign him and then pick his brain, although I have my doubts as to what exactly he can help with and if the Bills know what little he knows they may change something up just to !@#$ with the Jets.

Bills needed the player, signed him and he started. Hagan will neither sign or start

and Hagan giving away our secrets ? Like what "running the same offense as last year, Freds good, tight end is big, Stevie Johnson has averaged 80 yards a game versus Revis the last three games" ...okay thanks for coming in we'll be in touch

Edited by CardinalScotts

Frankly, id be hesitant to sign a guy that spills everything unless I'm cutting him FAST. If he tells you our secrets, he's going to spill yours next.

I don't think there are too many players (or people for that matter) who get cut and are told they don't want you around anymore because you are not good enough will feel any sense of loyalty to said cutter.

I don't think there are too many players (or people for that matter) who get cut and are told they don't want you around anymore because you are not good enough will feel any sense of loyalty to said cutter.

I was talking personal reputation- not warm fuzzy feelings for us.

You trash your last employer to your future and there's an element of what will you do to them when the time comes to move on.

It's football. Coaches make it sound a lot harder than it actually is to justify their salaries and the insane number of coaches every team has. There's only so much a team can do and there's nothing that hasn't been done before. The players generally aren't the smartest people in the world. So Hagan works out for the Jets on Tuesday. The game is Sunday. If they do sign him, wouldn't he have to learn the Jets plays? What could he possibly tell the Jets? That stuff is all just garbage. Uh....the QB lines up behind the center....they have a RB & wide receivers and a TE....they usually run or pass the ball. Jets really going to change their game plan because Hagan might tell them something? Nothing more than gamesmanship.

Si I can't figure out if you're serious or joking, but frankly wouldn't surprise me if they do sign such an agreement. How easily it is to enforce is another question. Certainly standard in most businesses.

Good thing Hagan signed a non-disclosure agreement which prevents him from divulging any details of he Bills' playbook and game plan.

GO BILLS!!!

Si I can't figure out if you're serious or joking, but frankly wouldn't surprise me if they do sign such an agreement. How easily it is to enforce is another question. Certainly standard in most businesses.

Just joking.

GO BILLS!!!

This gets so overblown every year

There isn't anything he can tell them that they don't already know

I disagree with that. Maybe true if we were playing them in week 4 but he does have some knowledge of how we plan to defend them and exploit their D. He was part of this team while we were actively game planning to play them. Additionally, he has knowledge of signs, signals, etc. If he cared to disclose that information.

I disagree with that. Maybe true if we were playing them in week 4 but he does have some knowledge of how we plan to defend them and exploit their D. He was part of this team while we were actively game planning to play them. Additionally, he has knowledge of signs, signals, etc. If he cared to disclose that information.

A lot of those will change after cuts (and regularly all season) for reasons like this, or spygate.

No big deal. If Hagan had a grasp of our offense he might have made the team.

haha well said.

He's a pretty good receiver though, I'm not surprised other teams are looking at him. I would have thought he and Namaan would be ahead of Ruvell Martin on the bills big board, but I guess not.

I was talking personal reputation- not warm fuzzy feelings for us.

You trash your last employer to your future and there's an element of what will you do to them when the time comes to move on.

Makes no sense NS. Why would someone be loyal to an employer that fired them? You really expect an unemployed guy to turn down a job on principle? This happens all the time in the NFL and I've never heard that happening. Haggans a cheap option for jets ... sign him, pick his brain, see what you can get, if he works out as a player all the better as its a position of need for them. If not cut him too and end up not paying much.

Makes no sense NS. Why would someone be loyal to an employer that fired them? You really expect an unemployed guy to turn down a job on principle? This happens all the time in the NFL and I've never heard that happening. Haggans a cheap option for jets ... sign him, pick his brain, see what you can get, if he works out as a player all the better as its a position of need for them. If not cut him too and end up not paying much.

I wasnt saying turn down the job, I was saying not show up with a photo copy of the playbook style selling your ex team down the river situation (not literally, but the idea). I wouldn't expect the guy to be silent but it'd certainly give me pause if he sold every secret he could come up with for a quick contract. Teams obviously account for this making regular changes to signals, verbiage, etc..... But it seems to be something that could bite you in the ass just as quickly if you target people for that reason when you cut them and they show up at your opponents door ready to do the same.

Edited by NoSaint

I wasnt saying turn down the job, I was saying not show up with a photo copy of the playbook style selling your ex team down the river situation (not literally, but the idea). I wouldn't expect the guy to be silent but it'd certainly give me pause if he sold every secret he could come up with for a quick contract.

If he doesnt do all that he can expect the quickest exit possible from his new employer. If he doesn't he'd get zero respect elsewhere too. Its wholly expected, common and rational. Its why teams pick the players they'll let in the inner circle and those on the periperhy.

This may seem a little naive but I would be interested to know how players look at something like this. Hagan may well have been told by the Bills there is a decent chance we want you back. He is likely not going to tell the Jets a thing unless and until they sign him to a contract that makes it guaranteed for the year (if he chooses to take that one-time only option). Working him out is one thing, and Hagan is very likely better than their #4 or #5 WR. If I were the Jets I would probably sign him and then pick his brain, although I have my doubts as to what exactly he can help with and if the Bills know what little he knows they may change something up just to !@#$ with the Jets.

After you sgn a contract now on I believe it's in not guarentted for the year...thus the player get a per game heck until they are released.

If he doesnt do all that he can expect the quickest exit possible from his new employer. If he doesn't he'd get zero respect elsewhere too. Its wholly expected, common and rational. Its why teams pick the players they'll let in the inner circle and those on the periperhy.

And what's the quickest way (minus mediocre play) to keep yourself out of the inner circle? Get a reputation of being a guy that will spill all those secrets.

If he wants a shot to come back, as a fringe player on any roster, he probably doesn't want the reputation of having burned us a few weeks earlier.

Not saying its a huge deal, just the flip side of how you can do business here.

It's like a salesman leaving and contacting his client list about coming with vs contacting everybodys lists, bad mouthing the prior company to get himself ahead at the new place. Risk/reward on how you handle yourself. If he goes to the jets and spills as many plays as he can find, unreported injuries, stirs up the pot on the way out, he may not play in buffalo again if he's cut in 3 weeks.

Wasn't that serious a concern, just thinking outloud casually. Certainly on a scale of 1-10 I take this as like a 2 in seriousness, and even that might be exaggerated.

Yeah everything you said happens all the time in business. Its why people get picked off from the competition, its why companies try to get employees to sign NDA's and take mandatory garden leaves. You don't make it to the inner circle because of you're not expected to talk, you get by being someone whose central to their plans, and they're going to keep and build around. Like Brady with the pats. But rest assured if the highly unexpected happened and pats cut him he'll be singing like a bird to the highest bidder.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Honestly? Laughable!

Yeah everything you said happens all the time in business. Its why people get picked off from the competition, its why companies try to get employees to sign NDA's and take mandatory garden leaves. You don't make it to the inner circle because of you're not expected to talk, you get by being someone whose central to their plans, and they're going to keep and build around. Like Brady with the pats. But rest assured if the highly unexpected happened and pats cut him he'll be singing like a bird to the highest bidder.

And for a guy that has only so many shots in this league, burning what might be his best bridge at what amounts to a job interview might not be a move he makes.

How he left buffalo may effect how he handles it.

Like I said, not a big deal, just floating out an alternative way for this to go - which people also do regularly.

Really not that worried, just bantering around some thoughts instead of the standard issue assumption that he's spilling his guts as quick as possible. Your post is definitely more likely.

Gosh, it's good the Bills would never do something like this, like signing Lawyer Milloy the year we played the Pats in the season opener, just 4 days before the game.

Obviously there are very few teams who would be above picking the brain of a player recently cut by their opening week opponent.

However (as you know) Lawyer Milloy was a 29-year old safety who had just come off his 4th consecutive Pro Bowl appearance.

Really not the same situation.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Honestly? Laughable!

If you don't think a player who knows game-planning details can provide a competitive advantage to another team, why does the NFL prohibit a team from signing a player off their next opponent's practice squad during the week before the game?

http://www.ehow.com/list_6640825_nfl-practice-squad-rules-waivers.html

If a team likes a player on another club's practice squad, that team is free to sign him to a contract--but only for its 53-man roster, and it has to keep the player on the 53-man roster for at least three weeks. The team that signs the player doesn't have to pay any kind of compensation to the team that lost him. Practice squad players are pretty much fair game. There's one small exception, though: You can't sign a player off another team's practice squad in the week before you play that team.