Where is Kelvin Sheppard?

BillsLux

I'm interested in others opinions.

All offseason, I've heard praise about Sheppard from the coaches and fellow teammates, but I haven't seen a thing. Not only this year, but also the last half of last year. I can't think of an impact play.

I understand he has limited experience, which might explain mis-reads, penalities, and things like that, but it seems to me that he doesn't have the athleticism to play out there. He seems slow, without the ability to peel off a blocker. Any play that penetrates past the front line (draw, short pass) goes for 15 yards into the secondary.

I wasn't a believer in Poz because all his tackles were 5 yards down field, but at least he was there.

It's a shame because our line is really good.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That`s what I`ve preached,since day one of his starts. Like I said before..time will tell,and it`s starting. This is why he `s getting alot of reps to improve on. Mc killop looks much better against the run. In the backfield,a couple of times. Like I said before,he doesn`t come up to lay the smack in a hole. Too slow and although some think he`s jacked,not me ,little shoulders,upperbody. We need a real MLB. Bryan Scott also IS too slow.

All offseason, I've heard praise about Sheppard from the coaches and fellow teammates, but I haven't seen a thing.

You've summed up the problem by asking the question right there.

By the way, he's not playing any differently than he was last season.

People overlook reality in favor of what they want to see.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Where was Sheppard? On his back or where he shouldn't have been.

Two things I got from last night...

1) The entire linebacking corps sucks... that's why the Bils got gashed so much in the first half.

2) Outside of the DL and one corner and one safety, the rest of them suck. It is no coincidence that in two games, two very young QBs have taken this defense apart within the first 3 possessions. And to have eight play drives in the first quarter in the first two games, both resulting in TDs against your first team, indicates a trend. This defense is not going to crack the top 10. They ain't as good as I thought they were going to be.

All offseason, I've heard praise about Sheppard from the coaches and fellow teammates, but I haven't seen a thing. Not only this year, but also the last half of last year. I can't think of an impact play.

I understand he has limited experience, which might explain mis-reads, penalities, and things like that, but it seems to me that he doesn't have the athleticism to play out there. He seems slow, without the ability to peel off a blocker. Any play that penetrates past the front line (draw, short pass) goes for 15 yards into the secondary.

I wasn't a believer in Poz because all his tackles were 5 yards down field, but at least he was there.

Wandstadt will be asking that question when he reviews the game film.

He was running around in circles last night. There was a play where he got absolutely smoked by either their tight end or a fullback, I can't remember which and I don't even want to watch it again because it was so ugly.

Where was Sheppard? On his back or where he shouldn't have been.

Two things I got from last night...

1) The entire linebacking corps sucks... that's why the Bils got gashed so much in the first half.

2) Outside of the DL and one corner and one safety, the rest of them suck. It is no coincidence that in two games, two very young QBs have taken this defense apart within the first 3 possessions. And to have eight play drives in the first quarter in the first two games, both resulting in TDs against your first team, indicates a trend. This defense is not going to crack the top 10. They ain't as good as I thought they were going to be.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they all suck, but they certainly stunk up the joint last night. Moats seemed to be pretty decent overall, but the usually reliable Barnett was smoked in pass coverage over and over again. Most notably on the TD, and also the big gainer by Harvin during the 1st drive.

And yes, Shepp looked completely lost out there.

Sheppard sucked.

Morrison is playing at least as well as Moats. If they want a veteran guy at MLB maybe they should go to Kirk which would enable Moats to take over at the strong side.

Maybe McKillup can develop into the answer but I'm not liking what I see from Sheppard. I gave him a free pass last year but not anymore. This is supposedly the same D he played in at LSU, he's had a full offseason, and he's out of excuses.

Sheppard was god awful last night, Mark Kelso pointed out his mistakes often.

At one point, he turned his back on the ball carrier and he ran right past him.

Worst job by a MLB in years........

Sheppard sucked.

Morrison is playing at least as well as Moats. If they want a veteran guy at MLB maybe they should go to Kirk which would enable Moats to take over at the strong side.

Maybe McKillup can develop into the answer but I'm not liking what I see from Sheppard. I gave him a free pass last year but not anymore. This is supposedly the same D he played in at LSU, he's had a full offseason, and he's out of excuses.

One of the ones that ripped me months ago on Sheppard. Yeah what did I know ??

Sheppard sucked.

Yeah I was ripped a new one a couple months ago on Shep. Ha, what did I know

Sheppard was god awful last night, Mark Kelso pointed out his mistakes often.

At one point, he turned his back on the ball carrier and he ran right past him.

Worst job by a MLB in years........

It really was that bad. He didn't even factor in the boxscore. Not even an assisted tackle. It is as if they are playing short handed when he is on the field.

If I remember correctly, Shep graded out pretty well in last years Profootball Focus review. I am willing to give him a shot cause I think he's a leader, but it was pretty plain to see that he stunk it up last night.

I posted a couple of times in the offseason that I thought he was lousy last year.

That's why I was really praying for Kuechly in the draft. One pick ahead of us :cry:

Mckillop or Carder should start the opener. Sheppard can't get off blocks at all.

Like I was preaching for months Slow ,can`t shed blocks ,doesn`t come up in the hole. Oh yeah weak upperbody,really funny now.Where are the ones hiding now.

Sheppard sucked.

One of the ones that ripped me months ago on Sheppard. Yeah what did I know ??

Yeah I was ripped a new one a couple months ago on Shep. Ha, what did I know

In other words I defended Sheppard before a down of football was played this year based on the testimony of coaches and players and because I didn't agree with your take, you're butt hurt?

Nope, Butt I told you. Watch and you will learn. Watch.

Oh great learned one of the endless school of I Told You So, if Sheppard somehow improves and starts making plays consistently, are you gonna come back and say you were wrong?

Somehow I doubt it.

GO BILLS!!!

This is about a coach and a general manager falling in love with their draft choice; and being blinded by first impressions. They can’t see that this guy has done nothing on the field to warrant any first string consideration. Click the link below to see the origin of this:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/12/1983979/chan-gailey-high-on-kelvin-sheppards-instincts

Oh great learned one of the endless school of I Told You So, if Sheppard somehow improves and starts making plays consistently, are you gonna come back and say you were wrong?

Somehow I doubt it.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, I will. My love for the Bills and the watching of a playoff game far outweighs my pride.

This is about a coach and a general manager falling in love with their draft choice; and being blinded by first impressions. They can’t see that this guy has done nothing on the field to warrant any first string consideration. Click the link below to see the origin of this:

http://www.buffaloru...pards-instincts

Actually, I will. My love for the Bills and the watching of a playoff game far outweighs my pride.

That's the spirit. I think any sane fan would be happy to be wrong about a player they didn't think had a chance. But I get the impression that for some, the investment in a negative outcome is so heavy that they can't have any other outcome.

As for Gailey and Nix, they aren't the first to fall in love with their draft picks. Especially one that they personally coached and watched play a very good game at the Senior Bowl. Gailey and Wanny have had a whole year plus to evaluate him so I don't think it's just a case of blind trust. But I think Wanny served him notice last night by having him play with the scrubs in order to get his game straight. Shap needs a good week of preparation and a strong showing next Saturday I think.

GO BILLS!!!

Okay, like most of you, I am very disappointed with shep overall. Here's my question, do you really think wanny or chan would ever bench him in favor of Morrison (which I think they should), or will they just let it pan out week after week because he was such a high draft pick....I'm worried they will let this crap continue all season...my reasoning is because he looks the EXACT same as he did last year, but they are hell bent on him being our MLB

I miss london fletcher i know that!

+1

It really was that bad. He didn't even factor in the boxscore. Not even an assisted tackle. It is as if they are playing short handed when he is on the field.

!?!?

The MLB on a 4-3 team did not even have an assist on a tackle? Wow.

Okay, like most of you, I am very disappointed with shep overall. Here's my question, do you really think wanny or chan would ever bench him in favor of Morrison (which I think they should), or will they just let it pan out week after week because he was such a high draft pick....I'm worried they will let this crap continue all season...my reasoning is because he looks the EXACT same as he did last year, but they are hell bent on him being our MLB

Let me get this straight, Morrison couldn't see the field last year and is sliding down the depth chart behind Moats, and all of a sudden he's The Man?

Be real

Here's my question, do you really think wanny or chan would ever bench him in favor of Morrison (which I think they should), or will they just let it pan out week after week because he was such a high draft pick....

This regime has admitted to their mistakes fairly quickly in the case of Trent Edwards and Cornell Green. However of the players they drafted, they've given every benefit of the doubt to Troup and Carrington. It will be very interesting to see their treatment of Sheppard in a worst-case scenario.

Let me get this straight, Morrison couldn't see the field last year and is sliding down the depth chart behind Moats, and all of a sudden he's The Man?

Be real

It's my unprofessional opinion that Morrison has played well this preseason… and I believe his best years came as a 4-3 MLB. JMO.

Agree, We need Tankster to take over. Shep is too slow and can not get off of blocks. Seems bad to me.

yes, because Sheppard hasn't been all that good, let's put in a rookie who hasn't shown all that much into a starting position because his name is Tank. Fans really should run the team.

I wonder how many people on this forum actually rewatched the tape...

I'm not defending Shep, but the original statement from the OP was Shep getting burnt on a draw play. Funny just had a look at the game and Shep wasnt even on the field on that play. The Bills were in nickel defense and it was in fact Bryan Scott who got blocked by a Viking guard and allowed the play to go long.

I'm not saying that excuses some of Sheps other bad plays but it makes me wonder if people are actually watching Shep or just assuming hes in the middle all the plays.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I wonder how many people on this forum. Actually rematched the tape...

I'm not defending Shep, but the original statement from the OP was Shep getting burnt on a draw play. Funny just had a look at the game and Shep wasnt even on the field on that play. The Bills were in nickel defense an it was in fact Bryan Scott who got blocked by a Viking guard and allowed the play to go long.

I'm not saying that excuses some of Sheps other bad plays but it makes me wonder if people are actually watching Shep or just assuming his in the middle all the plays.

for the most part, once a player is on the sh*tlist, it doesn't matter who actually makes a bad play. If Fred Jackson drops a surefire touchdown it will be Sheppard's fault (or Kelsay).

Not to diminish his effort at being umimpressive this preseason though