Nix's UDFA/Waiver Wire grade

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article986366.ece

This article on Urbik made me think about some of the waiver wire moves Nix has made. Scott Chandler, Erik Pears, Chad Rheinhardt, etc. Buddy has found some solid players on the waiver wire. Do you think he's done better than most GMs? I have no perspective on how other teams have done in this area.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Buddy Nix is widely recognized as the NFL's best scout at finding disguarded talent. Considering how Buddy rebuilt a pitiful offense line he gets an A- from me.

The minus reflects the WR position. So far, not good enough.

It's really remarkable that we may have to cut serviceable players on both the offensive and defensive lines to make roster this year considering Cornell green started for us two years ago. If hagan somehow emerges as a solid 3 that might be the biggest reclamation success out of all the names mentioned. That guy is on his fourth or fifth team.

I think his adds, especially with Urbik, Rinehart and Chandler have been excellent. I vaguely recall reading that Buddy pulled some type of procedural "fast one", or maybe it was some kind of head fake (leading Cowboy staff to think he coveted a player on their team, so they protect him only to then have Buddy swoop in and take the player they really wanted) that landed Chandler. Anyone else recall this?

I also think that while Buddy's an excellent talent evaluator, a complete perspective has to take into account that Buddy has benefitted from inheriting a very favorable waiver wire "order" - in his first few years he had nearly the first pick of the waiver wire availables.

Urbick and Chandler have been very good pickups. The big problem that I had with Nix early on was if he was going to switch over to a 3-4 then why not sign OLBs. They were out there. At the end of last year they were so desperate that they were throwing Johnson and Carrington out there. Kelsay was a disaster from day one and Merriman should have never been counted on. It made the last 8 games of last year very hard to watch.

IMO, I think Buddy has assembled a playoff team this year. That being said, he didn't need to take 3 years to do it. The 2010 draft was a disaster. So my feelings about Buddy are still mixed.

Grade:C

Edited by John Cocktosten

This article on Urbik made me think about some of the waiver wire moves Nix has made. Scott Chandler, Erik Pears, Chad Rheinhardt, etc. Buddy has found some solid players on the waiver wire. Do you think he's done better than most GMs? I have no perspective on how other teams have done in this area.

PTR

Your thread title is a litle misleading, but I assumed that your post was going to be about waiver pick-ups because I read the same article this morning.

I don't see how you can give him anything less than an A for waiver pickups. It's a crapshoot, not unlike UDFAs and the fact that he's picked up 2 solid starters and several important backups (don't forget Merriman)is what leads me to giving him an A grade. I don't care how many 'misses' he's had with waiver pickups, only the wins matter.

The FA grade should include Mario, Anderson and re-signing our own IMO. The wavier wire stuff has been very good though too, plus as a GM he has been giving direction and vision to the team. It is all part of the picture IMO. A, would be about right. Plus, he is just damned entertaining to listen to. Make it A+, now where is that baby?

Yeah - you have to give Buddy extremely high marks, and that is compared to other GM's, for the work he's done with F.A. pickups.

Something comes to mind now that I haven't really formulated before: If I put myself in the position of a GM, especially one taking over a very talent deprived team, I have to take a long view perspective on building the team back up.

First year you see what you have, and you go out and get as many impact players as possible for your team via the draft. Buddy's first draft is his only real blemish, as far as most are concerned - but, I give him a pass on that because, for one, I think Spiller is awesome, and can really be a mega star with tremendous game changing ability. Also, he couldn't very well predict Troupe's back problems, and Carrington is, I believe, a good player. Add to the mix Nix didn't have a scouting dept. in place then, while Modrak knew he was on his way out, and I think you just let that draft go as a wash. Besides, other GM's who have had time to assemble staffs, and who are considered great, have had very bad drafts with no excuses. It can happen.

Second year, Buddy assembles his staff, has a very good draft, and adds talent to the team where it is needed. My point here is not to rehash his first years here, but to point to this: There are windows of opportunity for a team. You simply cannot afford to keep more than a few players a year, whose contracts come up, and who have played exceptionally well, while also adding F.A.'s and draftees. You have to try to get as many NFL ready players from the draft, serviceable players from the waiver wire - who will be affordable - and be very selective on big money contracts.

Had Buddy gone out his first two years and spent big money on contracts for players that wouldn't have put the team totally over the "hump", then we wouldn't have had the money to sign Mario and Anderson, not to mention we've given drafted players time to develop.

Buddy has his hands full next year trying to resign Byrd, Levitre, and Ubrik.

So - he's really done an excellent job of bringing in young, AFFORDABLE, talent. He doesn't overpay for players. And, now that our roster is competitive, we can begin to supplement players we might lose with younger guys or rookies.

I don't remember seeing anyone build a team so well in recent memory, except San Fran last year, although they were stocked up in certain areas already. I'd guess if Buddy left Buffalo tomorrow, he'd be able to find a GM job with at least 2 or 3 other NFL teams.

I think Buddy has done an outstanding job of getting good players off practice squads, wavers, UDFAs and the like- not all the moves succeed but you can feel a logical intelligent plan behind them- and if buddy hits on one or two of Dickerson, Onobun, Moore, Gilbert, Hagen, Brock, or Carmon then the word genius is going to start being used.

PTR

I think this is post is long overdue. I think he has done a very strong job, but with the lack of talent he started with, it may not have been as difficult to find talent better than what we had opposed to some other general managers.

I think his adds, especially with Urbik, Rinehart and Chandler have been excellent. I vaguely recall reading that Buddy pulled some type of procedural "fast one", or maybe it was some kind of head fake (leading Cowboy staff to think he coveted a player on their team, so they protect him only to then have Buddy swoop in and take the player they really wanted) that landed Chandler. Anyone else recall this?

It's possible but I highly doubt that Nix really knew this was going to happen. IMO, he simply needed a TE and went after one, and would have taken either of them. IIRC, Chandler was the #3 TE on the Cowboys roster, and a young guy with a lot of potential, I think it was Martin Rucker, was a TE on their practice squad. Nix put in a claim on Rucker and offered him a contract and guaranteed spot on the Bills roster, which teams have to do to get players off other teams PS. The Cowboys didnt know what they had in either guy really, but Rucker had PS eligibility and Chandler didn't. When the Bills offered Rucker the contract, the Cowboys were allowed to sign him to their active roster if they wanted (and I believe the rule is that the player can take either contract offer). Rucker was signed to the active roster because the Cowboys decided they wanted to keep him over Chander, and Chandler was released, and Nix immediately signed Chandler.

The story went that Chandler was the guy Nix wanted all along and he knew that was going to happen so he put in the claim on Rucker. Again, it's possible they had some information that the Cowboys were higher on Rucker than they were on Chandler so they would do what they did. But it was still a chance, a good one, that the Bills would have had Rucker instead.

Rucker never really panned out and went back to the Cowboys PS later on and then was signed off it by the Jags I think.

The minus reflects the WR position. So far, not good enough.

I really disagree here. Hagan is stepping up big time. Nelson was rock solid last year in his 2nd year. We already have Johnson

Jones is a ? but his injury and lack of experience worked against him. If Jones plays better and more consistent then last year then our WR situation will be just fine. Graham appears to be ahead of the curve from what most anyone expected this early.

What I don't like is the thought that a older FA WR vet is the answer.. Better to develop your own and that is what this team is doing, and I think it is and will pay dividends.

I am not worried about the WR position. What we need is better OT depth if Pears is going to be dealing with a chronic situation all season

Some years back, Bill Polian (hardly any football opinion I respect more) had a decision to make about extending either Edgerrin James or Reggie Wayne. Both were big to the Colts' offensive success and he could only fit one under the cap. He chose Wayne and the reason he gave was that it takes rookie receivers 3 seasons within an offense to realize their full potential but a talented rookie RB can be productive in year one. So he extended Wayne, let James walk and drafted Addai.

The moral to this story is that if there is (are) any special player(s) within the Bills' WR group, it's no huge surprise that we haven't seen it yet. But, this is the year for many of these Bills to come due. Look how long it took Stevie.

PTR

Erik Pears was also an excellent signing--- incredible that so much of our line has been rebuilt so quickly in large part due to under the radar signings.

I've wanted to take a deeper look at the Bills scouting staff continuity over the years but haven't made the commitment. Despite the front office blunders of the previous regimes, the UDFA scouting has been exceptional pre-Nix/Whaley as well and I wonder how much credit should go to those unsung guys--- Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Jason Peters, George Wilson, etc.

I really lament the inability to retain Greer--- he should have been locked up prior to becoming a FA, which of course forced the Bills to draft another 1st rd DB in McKelvin. Jabari was a character guy that would absolutely fit in with this current group.

Your thread title is a litle misleading, but I assumed that your post was going to be about waiver pick-ups because I read the same article this morning.

I don't see how you can give him anything less than an A for waiver pickups. It's a crapshoot, not unlike UDFAs and the fact that he's picked up 2 solid starters and several important backups (don't forget Merriman)is what leads me to giving him an A grade. I don't care how many 'misses' he's had with waiver pickups, only the wins matter.

You're acting like Merriman has actually contributed to this team. Other than a hefty paycheck and a so called "veteran presence" he has done jack squat.

You're acting like Merriman has actually contributed to this team. Other than a hefty paycheck and a so called "veteran presence" he has done jack squat.

If he never produces on the field (beyond the few solid, if unspectacular, games he played in 2011) he is largely responsible for recruiting Nick Barnett and playing an important role as Buffalo Bills ambassador in the media. Those contributions can't be understated and make his signing worthwhile.

i think Merriman changed the culture of this locker room. he liked what he saw here and no doubt helped bring in some players that probably wouldnt have ever signed with us (Barnett)

If he never produces on the field (beyond the few solid, if unspectacular, games he played in 2011) he is largely responsible for recruiting Nick Barnett and playing an important role as Buffalo Bills ambassador in the media. Those contributions can't be understated and make his signing worthwhile.

i think Merriman changed the culture of this locker room. he liked what he saw here and no doubt helped bring in some players that probably wouldnt have ever signed with us (Barnett)

Good point, I think the Barnett pick up was huge for this team I'm sure he was involved in the other 2 DE's we got this season too

Urbick and Chandler have been very good pickups. The big problem that I had with Nix early on was if he was going to switch over to a 3-4 then why not sign OLBs. They were out there. At the end of last year they were so desperate that they were throwing Johnson and Carrington out there. Kelsay was a disaster from day one and Merriman should have never been counted on. It made the last 8 games of last year very hard to watch.

IMO, I think Buddy has assembled a playoff team this year. That being said, he didn't need to take 3 years to do it. The 2010 draft was a disaster. So my feelings about Buddy are still mixed.

Agree 100%. I hope Buddy's moves this year will turn this team around. The only reason it has taken them 3 years is that it is hard for this team (deprived of any talent) to fill that many holes in one season. He needed two seasons to fix the OL and DL including depth at those positions. However, there has been quite a few questionable calls during his tenure.

1. Switching to a 3-4 defense when we had cover-2 personnel. Fitting a square peg in a circular hole

2. Picking Spiller in the 1st round. They could have still had Best in the 2nd round if they needed a RB.

3. Picking Troupe, Carrington, Wang and a big question mark on this years 3rd round pick.

However, I would rather give him a B+ for getting good FA to actually sign with the Bills.

The Merriman signing is more like to get other FAs to sign with the team.

since were not including the draft, i dont see how it could be anything less than A-

the only position left on the team that could be considered a weakness is the second wideout (you cant even count the slot because nelson has that covered well). that is a legit criticism until somebody steps up and gets starter production. theyve added people almost everywhere else and certainly where needed. theyve got three solid olinemen including two starters, two solid dlineman, two starting lbs, starting te, and at least promising backups all over from facy and udfa

heck, even if we included the draft id say its high b+. theyve had some misses but everybody does and theyve stocked the cupboards with tons of guys they picked. some time still needed to complete that e v a l but so far it appears theyve been the best pickers weve had here in a long damn time. plus theyve managed to lose very little with poz and donte being the only significant losses. pretty good

I'll sidetrack the discussion with a quick review of the 2010 draft:

9 picks, 6 of them still on the roster.

1 - Spiller -- BPA at the time and should be a Bill for years to come

2 - Troup -- gets an incomplete b/c of health issues (I suppose this is a negative if you think Buddy should have foreseen a broken hand and back surgery)

3 - Carrington -- should stick as part of DT rotation

4 - Easley -- again, incomplete; can't have foreseen injury/medical issues and could very well make the team

5 - Wang -- bust

6a - Moats -- appears to have found a home as a backup OLB and should make the team

6b - Batten -- fan favorite at the time of the draft; also had injury issues; probable cut this year considering depth at DE

7a - Brown -- bust

7b - Calloway -- bust

I still believe you can only give this draft a grade of "incomplete" right now. If Easley becomes a part of the WR rotation, Carrington plays 10-15 snaps a game at DT, and Moats backs up at LB, it's no worse than a C. If Troup somehow recovers and makes the team, it's a B. Conversely, if Easley, Carrington, and Troup are cut, it's an F.

-------------

Now, to the original question asked (about Nix and his pickup of UDFAs or free agents), here are the quality additions to the roster "nobody else wanted":

Pears

Urbik

Chandler

Rinehart

Sam Young

Hagan

Aiken?

Dickerson?

I include Merriman on this list purely because of potential -- it's easy to say he hasn't contributed and the Bills wasted money, but (a) what do we care how much money they spent, and (b) if he becomes an impact player this year was it still a bad move?

That's pretty impressive over three offseasons. It's funny how people are still critical of Buddy for "the 3-4 switch" when that wasn't even his decision. This team had NO players, particularly on defense, when Buddy arrived. Expecting that a roster with the talent like this one now has could have been done in a year is so naive it's ridiculous.

Please find me ONE NFL personnel expert who would legitimately criticize the job Nix has done since becoming GM.

That said, with this roster, it's playoffs or bust, and Nix has said as much himself.

The decision on 3-4 was a mistake, and looking back they probably didn't know what they had in Freddy when picking Spiller. That was a miss not because he's a bad player, but you don't pick a RB at 8 in the first round.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Troup could have been Gronkowski. That said, the previous posts said it on so many gold pick ups on the cheap. I do think it takes 3-5 years to create a real solid winning team for many years as we had squat for talent.

They are on the path so if we hit the wild card with a 10-11 winning game season, and then now can refine next year. Imagine we win 11 games and one playoff game. We are all happy. Now next FA and draft time, we resign our o line in question, and pick up a solid #1 WR opposite Stevie, a TE, LB, Safety as George isn't getting younger as much as I love the guy, and another CB. That is doable as we are still in good cap shape.

We're about to go on a run with a winning team we haven't had in a loonngg time. Whaley is the perfect back fill to Nix in two years, and Chan gets a team he keeps refining over time into a well oiled machine.

One of the reasons why the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and Patriots are as good as they are is they don't blow up the plan every three years. We finally have a good FO (our biggest deficit in the last 12 years), and can give Chan time to make his team great. I also hope we pay Wanny enough to stay for years and create the early 90's Cowboys defense.

Go Bills

2 - Troup -- gets an incomplete b/c of health issues (I suppose this is a negative if you think Buddy should have foreseen a broken hand and back surgery)

4 - Easley -- again, incomplete; can't have foreseen injury/medical issues and could very well make the team

5 - Wang -- bust

6a - Moats -- appears to have found a home as a backup OLB and should make the team

6b - Batten -- fan favorite at the time of the draft; also had injury issues; probable cut this year considering depth at DE

7a - Brown -- bust

7b - Calloway -- bust

I still believe you can only give this draft a grade of "incomplete" right now. If Easley becomes a part of the WR rotation, Carrington plays 10-15 snaps a game at DT, and Moats backs up at LB, it's no worse than a C. If Troup somehow recovers and makes the team, it's a B. Conversely, if Easley, Carrington, and Troup are cut, it's an F.

I don't care if Troupe makes the team and Carrington plays 10-15, drafts are judged on impact not filler. The guys you mentioned, outside of Spiller, are roster players 51-53. I wouldn't be so sure that Carrington is going to make it either. Right now he's running with the 3's and Heard outplayed him at the end of last year. You can give the draft an incomplete but you're really just delaying the inevitable. The 2010 draft gets an D-/F. Hopefully Buddy has learned his lesson and will not be spending an entire draft on small school guys.

5 - Wang -- bust

7a - Brown -- bust

7b - Calloway -- bust

-------------

Now, to the original question asked (about Nix and his pickup of UDFAs or free agents), here are the quality additions to the roster "nobody else wanted":

Pears

Urbik

Chandler

Rinehart

Sam Young

Hagan

Aiken?

Dickerson?

I include Merriman on this list purely because of potential -- it's easy to say he hasn't contributed and the Bills wasted money, but (a) what do we care how much money they spent, and (b) if he becomes an impact player this year was it still a bad move?

That's pretty impressive over three offseasons. It's funny how people are still critical of Buddy for "the 3-4 switch" when that wasn't even his decision. This team had NO players, particularly on defense, when Buddy arrived. Expecting that a roster with the talent like this one now has could have been done in a year is so naive it's ridiculous.

Please find me ONE NFL personnel expert who would legitimately criticize the job Nix has done since becoming GM.

That said, with this roster, it's playoffs or bust, and Nix has said as much himself.

On your comment on the 2010 draft, I don't believe you should characterize 7th rounders who don't make the team as busts. In fact I don't think it's fair to call 5th rounders busts.

As far as waiver and free agent pick ups, you'd have to include Kirk Morrison and Colin Brown… both solid pickups.

I don't care if Troupe makes the team and Carrington plays 10-15, drafts are judged on impact not filler. The guys you mentioned, outside of Spiller, are roster players 51-53. I wouldn't be so sure that Carrington is going to make it either. Right now he's running with the 3's and Heard outplayed him at the end of last year. You can give the draft an incomplete but you're really just delaying the inevitable. The 2010 draft gets an D-/F. Hopefully Buddy has learned his lesson and will not be spending an entire draft on small school guys.

I hear you, man, but Carrington is another guy who was playing out of position last year. We can nitpick on whether the draft is a C, D, or F, but I agree it wasn't anything to write home about outside of Spiller.

By far, the biggest mistake this "regime" has made was when Gailey hired Edwards as DC. That's not on Nix. Edwards just wasn't equipped for the job, and it did set the Bills back a bit on developing their personnel. Thankfully Gailey recognized his mistake after 2010 and brought Wannstedt into the mix as insurance, and a lot of the guys they already had are good fits in the 4-3.

I think we've seen in the 2011 and 2012 drafts that Buddy wants big time players from big time programs.

On your comment on the 2010 draft, I don't believe you should characterize 7th rounders who don't make the team as busts. In fact I don't think it's fair to call 5th rounders busts.

As far as waiver and free agent pick ups, you'd have to include Kirk Morrison and Colin Brown… both solid pickups.

A bust is a bust; either they make the team or they don't (but I understand your point).

I think Morrison would have gotten attention from other teams so I wouldn't characterize him as a guy nobody else wanted.

Brown -- agreed.

A very interesting subject. Thanks for the post.

I'd grade Nix at A for mining for talent at the free agent bin of NFL-Mart.

Since we follow every move by the Bills it's easy for us to look at the players we sign. But I have no idea how to compare Nix's record to other NFL front offices. I assume it must be good. I am semi-familiar with the Patriots* moves lately and know they whiff a lot.

PTR

I also think that while Buddy's an excellent talent evaluator, a complete perspective has to take into account that Buddy has benefitted from inheriting a very favorable waiver wire "order" - in his first few years he had nearly the first pick of the waiver wire availables.

I don't remember if this was confirmed or just a rumor... but yeah, I remember something like this too.

BTW, I think Doug Whaley in his position as Assistant GM is responsible for scouting pro players. Not to steal any of Nix's thunder, but Whaley deserves credit here too.

An exaggeration. Merriman was the Bills best pass rusher at the start of last year.

Now, that's not exactly high praise considering how bad the pass rush was, but he was the only guy getting some pressure for those first few weeks.

In the pre-season last year, he was amazing - if he's healthy this year, there's every reason to believe he's a huge steal.

An exaggeration. Merriman was the Bills best pass rusher at the start of last year.

Now, that's not exactly high praise considering how bad the pass rush was, but he was the only guy getting some pressure for those first few weeks.

In the pre-season last year, he was amazing - if he's healthy this year, there's every reason to believe he's a huge steal.

I was impressed with his run stopping, as well. It's an area of his game he's worked hard to improve over the past few seasons and it shows.

Let's not pretend Merriman has contributed anything the past two seasons because he hasn't. Those calling it a wasted move by the Bills are correct in that regard. It was a risk, one acknowledged by Nix at the time, and as I've said before, it's not our money so why do we care what Ralph spent? Merriman's compensation hasn't kept the Bills from keeping or acquiring any players.

If Merriman is finally healthy and makes an impact this year, the move will have been "worth it" in my opinion.

Let's not pretend Merriman has contributed anything the past two seasons because he hasn't. Those calling it a wasted move by the Bills are correct in that regard. It was a risk, one acknowledged by Nix at the time, and as I've said before, it's not our money so why do we care what Ralph spent? Merriman's compensation hasn't kept the Bills from keeping or acquiring any players.

If Merriman is finally healthy and makes an impact this year, the move will have been "worth it" in my opinion.

No one's pretending. He played reasonably well last season in the brief time he was healthy and anyone could see that, but the amount of time he's missed since signing here negates that relatively meager on-field contribution. He's made a much larger contribution off the field, which is all anyone is really contending in this thread.

No one's pretending. He played reasonably well last season in the brief time he was healthy and anyone could see that, but the amount of time he's missed since signing here negates that relatively meager on-field contribution. He's made a much larger contribution off the field, which is all anyone is really contending in this thread.

You're preaching to the choir, but I've learned that getting all "rah rah" about Merriman's professionalism, the attitude he brings, and the fact he has been a vocal advocate for playing in Buffalo don't amount to a hill of beans to the "what have you done on the field?" crowd.