Fairley gets arrested again.

bbb

Right after Auburn won the championship, it seemed like Fairly would be a top three pick. I wanted him after that game. Now, he's been arrested for the 2nd time this offseason:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7977231/nick-fairley-detroit-lions-arrested-dui-charge-report-says

Plus Dareus is a way better player so buddy made the right call.

Right after his bowl game though, if you would have taken a poll, Fairley was the popular pick over Dareus.

Truth.

Also glad Buddy is the one making the big decisions. Fairley seems like the type of guy who will never get his head on straight.

By watching the tape Dareus was clearly the far superior talent of the two.

I don't have time to watch the tape. I have my own job. I let Buddy do his. As San Jose said "Right after his bowl game though, if you would have taken a poll, Fairley was the popular pick over Dareus."

maybe right after the game, but by draft time I feel most wanted Dareus.

No doubt.

But right after Auburn's win, the choice in this forum was Fairley.

In fact, at that moment, it seems to me that Bowers was ahead of, or at least neck-and-neck with Dareus.

I think that people viewed Fairley and Bowers as better pass rushers, therefore more-attractive picks.

I wasn't too impressed watching him in that bowl game. He seemed more of natural talent and ability then he seemed actual ability. If that doesn't make sense think of the guy you played HS football with and he was good just because he was a little bit bigger and stronger then most other guys although he lacked work ethic, agility, and a lot of skill.

Everyone in the world who cares about the NFL knew who the first three were going to be that year. The only question was the order. The Bills picked third so they took whoever was left. I like the pick of course, but don't make it sound like a fantastic decision on the part of Buddy Nix. My kids could have made the Bills first pick that year.

To evaluate Nix's first round picks you need to look at the non-givens. Like Spiller and Gilmore.

My post really shouldn't have said much about Buddy. It's more about what a dope it looks Fairley is. And, the fact that right after the college season, a huge majority of this board, including me, wanted him.

Everyone in the world who cares about the NFL knew who the first three were going to be that year. The only question was the order. The Bills picked third so they took whoever was left. I like the pick of course, but don't make it sound like a fantastic decision on the part of Buddy Nix. My kids could have made the Bills first pick that year.

To evaluate Nix's first round picks you need to look at the non-givens. Like Spiller and Gilmore.

He could have traded up or down....it wasnt a given pick.

Right after Auburn won the championship, it seemed like Fairly would be a top three pick. I wanted him after that game. Now, he's been arrested for the 2nd time this offseason:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7977231/nick-fairley-detroit-lions-arrested-dui-charge-report-says

"I think Buddy made the right call with Dareus over Fairley" . . . you think? :wallbash:

1/2 a brain, 1/2 the player he could have been. Fairley showed flashes last year, but I don't see him as much competition to Dareus. As other posters stated, I expected more out of him w/ the Lions defense. He seems to have found himself doing self-prostate exams with his head this off-season. What is wrong with some of these clowns? So many pro athletes seem to forget who and what they represent. Hope the commish suspends him for 3+ games.

Yeah, You and the entire sports world. The top three picks last year were going to be Miller, Newton and Dareus. The Bills were taking whoever the Broncos and Panthers didnt. That happened to be Dareus. If the Broncos or Panthers would have took him, we would have one of the other two. The first two drafts by Nix, he took who was the best availible. Hence Spiller when we already had Jackson and Lynch. This year was the first year they took a need instead and I would probably argue they liked who we had on the roster but took Gilmore because he was there.

Once people got over that one really great game it was clear Dareus was the more complete prospect and that Fairley was a 1st round prospect but highly unlikely to be a top 5 pick and lower 10 top and early teens were the more accurate projections about Fairley. In fact there was talk about Dareus going 1st overall or 2nd overall with how good he looked in the combine.

BTW, why don't these players do what Jim Kelly did. I never saw him out on the town without a limo. He knew not to drink and drive, and I think any NFL player can afford to do the same.

BTW, why don't these players do what Jim Kelly did. I never saw him out on the town without a limo. He knew not to drink and drive, and I think any NFL player can afford to do the same.

With his brother up in the dj booth picking out their next conquest. I'm just sayin...

With his brother up in the dj booth picking out their next conquest. I'm just sayin...

So what? You wouldn't?.........I know Jimbo cheated on Jill when they were married, but he really seems to have turned over a new leaf on that......But, I have to say I really thought he made two good decisions during his career - not getting married when you know you're going to playing the field, and not drinking and driving.

Great to see the Bills pick the right guy. Desperately needing D-line help, once Newton and V Miller were off the board, Dareus seemed like a no-brained safe pick. But then again so did Ngata and orakpo. Personally I was really worried Fairley was going to be the latest of the bills misguided picks.

I'm a huge Bills and Auburn fan, but I agree Dareus was the better choice. Fairley was a one year wonder at Auburn who overperformed his last year to get paid. His trajectory right now is following Albert Haynesworth.

I wasn't too impressed watching him in that bowl game. He seemed more of natural talent and ability then he seemed actual ability. If that doesn't make sense think of the guy you played HS football with and he was good just because he was a little bit bigger and stronger then most other guys although he lacked work ethic, agility, and a lot of skill.

You're crazy. He absolutely dominated that game. The most dominating college DLine performance that I have seen in a long time.

I had serious doubts about Fairley when I heard him interviewed just prior to the draft on Sirius' "Moving the Chains". He seemed totally distracted during the interview (strike one) and when was asked how much weight he was pushing in the weight room he said didn't know (strike two). You ask anybody who is serious in the weight room how much they are lifting and they can tell you. They are always looking to better their mark. To me, not knowing is not caring (strike three). I wanted nothing to do with him after that.

I think jboys got it right.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

Did he give any signs of having character issues in college? If so, that may have taken him right off of Buddy's board regardless.

I remember he was flagged a few times for late hits and dirty plays. he was a pretty dirty playe rin college. Not saying a 'mean streak' isn't a good quality in a DL. If you can not control your emotions or actions though, then you end up with problems on and off the field.

I do not remember anything thou off the field in college. The injury that surfaced right after the bowl win seemed to drop him in the draft, IIRC

He could have traded up or down....it wasnt a given pick.

Nix does not like to trade up, and I think trading down would give him horrible nightmares.

After his first round pick the previous year could not find the field that season, he could not afford a whiff that year.

And for the cherry on top, the Bills needed significant help on the DL.

It was 100% a "given" pick in my opinion.

Fairley played his best college game on the biggest national stage of his career.

His timing was perfect in that regard, but that's why good GM's like to judge someone on their full body of work, on and off the field over years of being productive, good teammates, hard workers etc.

This is why Buddy wouldn't likely draft a guy like Fairley, Easley or Maybin, Coples etc. All guys that had relatively short spurts of production at college.

Fairley couldn't qualify academically for Auburn and had to go to community college. He was originally going to play offensive guard in college. Maybe he can play prison guard now....

ps (i was one of those mentioned that was all for us drafting Nick after the BCS game.) My guess is the interior line of Oregon in the 2011 championship team had nobody that made it to the pro's because they made Fairley look like a future hall of famer.

When I heard of the weed thing I though, no biggee. For NFL players, the off season is weed time. But, DWI AND running from the police spell T-H-U-G. Sort of reminds me of Lawrence Phillips. We all know how that one turned out.

Good job not drafting him. But he fell and would have been a reach at 3.