Has Dalton reached his maximum potential?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/bengals-still-have-reservations-about-andy-dalton/

Apparently some in the Bengals organization think so. I had this thought before the draft. Dalton will be a decent starter for a number of years but never elite. Think Chad Pennington

Thoughts?

He may never be an elite QB, in the class of Manning, Rodgers or Brady...but I can't help but think, after a decent rookie season, with some NFL experience under his belt, he might get a little better... of course, I am one who still thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick can, and will, get better.

The article raises some fair questions, but it's silly to assume Dalton can't continue to learn and improve. As always, the answer will be 'let's just wait and see'.

And if his ceiling is Pennington or Kosar, that's not bad company. Pennington was a pretty solid QB when he was able to stay healthy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14012/andy-dalton

You look at the teams he beat tho. Cleveland Twice, Indy, Jacksonville, Tenn, Zona and the Rams and us. Thats a pretty easy schedule. 5 teams that picked in the top ten this year

Lost to the steelers and ravens by a combined 114 to 64.

I think he has alot to prove still

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14012/andy-dalton

You look at the teams he beat tho. Cleveland Twice, Indy, Jacksonville, Tenn, Zona and the Rams and us. Thats a pretty easy schedule. 5 teams that picked in the top ten this year

Lost to the steelers and ravens by a combined 114 to 64.

I think he has alot to prove still

Thanks to a ridiculous call.

He reached the playoffs as a rookie. You can claim it is because of the D and AJ all you want. But he played with in himself and the system.

unfortunately the question here becomes, can a system built around hiding his arm be successful long term. Or can he work his arm into a better weapon?

This is a joke. Just take the pictures, Greg Cossell.

The kid never going to be a top 10 draft pick. He picked up the game pretty quickly with a young crew around him. He's played one year. I didn't see the QB that his doubting and uncomfortable FO drafted as his replacement this year...

unfortunately the question here becomes, can a system built around hiding his arm be successful long term. Or can he work his arm into a better weapon?

i don't have a doubt. brady used to be noodle-armed when he screen passed us to death when he first became a starter. now he can make every throw and throw 80 yards with ease (see: Super Bowl throw to Randy Moss)

The article raises some fair questions, but it's silly to assume Dalton can't continue to learn and improve. As always, the answer will be 'let's just wait and see'.

And if his ceiling is Pennington or Kosar, that's not bad company. Pennington was a pretty solid QB when he was able to stay healthy.

I thought Bernie Kosar was awesome there, for a few years, with his side-arm delivery.

I think its hard to say that anyone has "reached their potential" after 1 year in the league. Of course he's going to get better at reading defenses and learning how to play with his teammates. I don't see any reason to believe he has already reached his ceiling.

I think its hard to say that anyone has "reached their potential" after 1 year in the league. Of course he's going to get better at reading defenses and learning how to play with his teammates. I don't see any reason to believe he has already reached his ceiling.

the other side would be, has the league caught up to the system, or does he have the ability to keep pushing his ceiling up. lots of players looked good for stretches, but without the full tool box people were able to game plan.

i think he will be good, not great. likely not good enough to get them much further than he has, but certainly good enough that he would be hard to replace. a tough spot, if accurate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/bengals-still-have-reservations-about-andy-dalton/

Apparently some in the Bengals organization think so. I had this thought before the draft. Dalton will be a decent starter for a number of years but never elite. Think Chad Pennington

Thoughts?

unless he has a mental handicap he hasn't maxed his potential, every one can get better if they work hard enough.

unless he has a mental handicap he hasn't maxed his potential, every one can get better if they work hard enough.

right, but in a competition, you have to be moving faster than the opponent. the entire premise of this was around the fact that he was able to get away with things early, and down the homestretch his output was going down, not up. ie the gameplans couldnt hide him, and the defensive coordinators were figuring him out faster than his game evolved.

plenty of players have gotten better but not enough to stick around long term. between that and injuries, it makes you appreciate how much it takes to be successful long term.

He had a shortened off season and still had great chemistry with AJ.

I dont think he has the strongest arm, but neither does Matt Ryan. But Ryna has worked his tale off and been for the most part pretty smart.

The fact that he beat bad teams is a positive to me. How many times do you see teams playing down to their level of competition.

I have no clue if Dalton will be a top ten QB or not. But i would take a rookie that went to the playoffs in a heart beat. he has proven something and he has a ton of upside

Thoughts?

I equate the Andy Dalton situation to the Mark Sanchez situation.

Mark Sanchez had a decent rookie season and made the playoffs too. But it was the team around him, that propelled him to the playoffs, not his play at QB. Same with Dalton.

He had a shortened off season and still had great chemistry with AJ.

I dont think he has the strongest arm, but neither does Matt Ryan. But Ryna has worked his tale off and been for the most part pretty smart.

The fact that he beat bad teams is a positive to me. How many times do you see teams playing down to their level of competition.

I have no clue if Dalton will be a top ten QB or not. But i would take a rookie that went to the playoffs in a heart beat. he has proven something and he has a ton of upside

Sooooo, would you take Mark Sanchez?

He reached the playoffs as a rookie. You can claim it is because of the D and AJ all you want. But he played with in himself and the system.

Exactly.

For him to succeed--aka for the BENGALS to succeed--he has to play smart, risk averse football, his positive plays must always outweigh his negative ones.

His college record indicates he is MORE than capable of meeting that expectation.

PLUS, he's got an asset in Green like he's never had before, he's got his go-to guy, and the sum of that whole will only continue to improve.

http://profootballta...ut-andy-dalton/

Thoughts?

I think it's very premature to judge what a QB can or can't achieve after one year with no OTAs and limited pre-season.

Dalton played with poise and typically didn't lose games for the Bengals. For a rookie, he did well.

I understand (and may not agree with) criticism of a QB who has been kicking around the league a number of years such as Moore or Fitz.

I don't understand why people are quick to pigeonhole a 2nd round rookie like Dalton. He outperformed a number of QB who went much higher in the draft, no reason to think he can't continue to improve.

Mark Sanchez had a decent rookie season and made the playoffs too. But it was the team around him, that propelled him to the playoffs, not his play at QB. Same with Dalton.

To me the difference is between the helmet. Various evidence suggests that the ability to make pre-snap adjustments and progressing through multiple reads is a stretch for Sanchez

As far as I know, no one has like concerns about Dalton. The concern on him is his arm. He can develop better arm strength a la Brady if he chooses to work at it the right way.

It's easier to fix arm strength than stupid. You can't fix stupid.

I agree. It's hard to imagine this thread gets started. Does anyone really believe that the Bengals FO and coaching staff is going to whine to a camera man about their rookie QB who led them to the playoffs in their first year?

No way, even as a rookie you could tell Sanchez was not ready at times. He single handedly cost his team some games. The Bills game in NY where he threw like 4 picks, comes to mind. Bills had were getting gashed by the run. I think Sanchez is average, at best. And i think The Teebow thing causes a lot of problems for him and the Jets this year.

Dalton i have to believe develops into a solid guy. I do not see him as a Stafford, because he doesnt have the physical tools Stafford does. But think with that D and AJ he will be just fine.

To me dalton is a great example of how a less talented qb with a good head on his shoulders and some great wr talent can make for an effective nfl offense.

The D there is stout too.

Agreed. Dalton is good enough. But the comparison to Sanchez is total bunk.

Sanchez, unlike Dalton WILL cost his team games, and he already has a history of it.

Agreed. Dalton is good enough. But the comparison to Sanchez is total bunk.

Sanchez, unlike Dalton WILL cost his team games, and he already has a history of it.

I do believe I said situations, not Andy Dalton is Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez looked average to garbage most of the regular season his first year. Andy Dalton looked average and was able to manage games. If Andy or Mark had the Bills defense, their teams wouldn't have made the playoffs.

They both came into situations where their defenses were outstanding therefore their wasn't pressure to perform. They could afford to make mistakes or play averagely.