Disappointment at conclusion of Bills games

Wide right. There is not even a close second for me.

The Bills were the better team that season, they were not in their other SB appearances.

That is the one that got away in my opinion and even "no goal" doesn't come close in my mind.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two answers -- one for a game I attended, and one for a game I watched on TV.

Attended: Music City Mistake. I made the biggest ass of myself in the history of fandom. I had an old "Drill the Oilers" sign from the comeback game, and I literally danced in the aisle after Christie made the FG. Shocked, embarrassed, crushed, you name it. Thankfully, the fans were actually pretty gracious, and seemed to understand the sheer miraculous-ness of what had just happened. Worst plane ride home of my life.

Watched: SB XXV. Everyone gathered around a TV at my friends' apartment in downtown Buffalo, ready to explode and hit the streets.

In other sports, Stars-Sabres "no goal" in the '99 Cup Finals is a close third, followed by Game 7 of ECF against Hurricanes (I was at that one).

Edited by eball

One of my earliest memories ever (not football related memories, overall memories) was my mother crying on the couch after Norwood missed the field goal. How's that for being initiated as a Bills fan? I'll never forget that though, my mother is a diehard Bills fan and now I treat her to training camp and yearly games...we've had some great memories since then but I'll never shake that image of watching her cry after the Superbowl when I was 4 years old. That is until we win the Superbowl this year, then we'll be good. :thumbsup:

Aside from that early memory, I'd have to say the Music City Miracle game (punched a hole in the wall), the "Just Give It To Them" game (easily the angriest I've ever been watching a Bills game) and the Dallas/Buffalo MNF game. I actually turned off the Bills/Patriots "Take a knee, Leodis!" game in the 3rd QTR since I had an early flight the next day so at least I didnt watch that debacle unfold live.

In order:

1. Superbowl XXV

2. Superbowl XXVI

3. Superbowl XXVII

4. Superbowl XXVIII

5. Bills/Jags 1996 Playoffs - end of an era, when Jim Kelly is knocked out of the game

6. Bills/Titans - The forward lateral/Flutie benched - both were B.S.

7. Bills/Steelers 2004 - eliminated from the playoffs by a bunch of backups

8. Bills/Pats - an 11 point lead blown (take a knee McKelvin)

9. Bills/Dallas - MNF - prevent defense & bad special teams cost the Bills

10. Bills/Broncos - Lost by a last second field goal, and horrible game management by Jauron & Losman

+1

most of these games were lost by a simple lack of doing.... nothing. If we just do "nothing" we win against dallas, denver, pats etc. we threw deep on the last third down against denver which fell incomplete and they kicked a FG with 1 sec on the clock, take a knee. We lose a fumble late to the pats, take a knee. We throw on third and goal instead of running and taking a FG and lose by 1 against dallas. the steelers was lost in part because bledsoe chose the wrong side or something at the coin toss. not even a play or gameplan error, just bledsoe being dumb. kellys fumble wasnt a fumble but there was no replay.

Wide right obviously; but it was also on my 14th birthday :cry::censored:

Hey Reed, same 14th Bday for me too buddy...and #1 on my list.

#2 - music city forward pass: at a bar and drank in silence the rest of the night

#3 - last years steeler's loss: at the ralph and had to listen to my bro inlaw all night in the rv park

There are so many to choose from. Here are two from recent memory:

1) Jags beating us in the home opener on the last play of the game.

2) Broncos beating us (I believe it was also the opener) when Elam came racing out to kick the GW FG as time expired. (Gus Johnson yelling, "they're out of time; they're going to run out of time...oh, they got it off. he made it..broncos win...unbelievable....")

I usually attend one game a season and I was at both these games. And another last second loss to the Colts. Worst thing about the Denver game, other than Kevin Everett getting hurt. About a minute after Elam makes the FG a heavy rainstorm starts. Not only did we get soaked on the way out but if it happens a few minutes sooner that kick becomes a lot tougher to make. I looked up to the sky and said 'Not funny dude, give us a break will ya'!

+1

most of these games were lost by a simple lack of doing.... nothing. If we just do "nothing" we win against dallas, denver, pats etc. we threw deep on the last third down against denver which fell incomplete and they kicked a FG with 1 sec on the clock, take a knee. We lose a fumble late to the pats, take a knee. We throw on third and goal instead of running and taking a FG and lose by 1 against dallas. the steelers was lost in part because bledsoe chose the wrong side or something at the coin toss. not even a play or gameplan error, just bledsoe being dumb. kellys fumble wasnt a fumble but there was no replay.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

While there are others that were more heartbreaking, one that doesn't get talked about much is week 1, 2006, 19-17 loss at NE. We had a 10 point lead with the ball inside their 10 yard line. On 4th and 1 we went for it but didn't get it. Pats comeback to tie then win on a freaking safety. Given how close we came to the playoffs that year, that game could have made all the difference in the world and it was our last chance to go to the playoffs with Fletcher and Spikes. 2009 openning loss was probably more painful but we weren't going to the playoffs that year.

:o.....:cry:.......:beer:

Kelly threw too much in the first half, they should have run Thurman more. Belicheat even stated he setup a new defense specifically for that game. A 5-1-5 defense and Lawrence Taylor was the only backer to spy Thurman, so Kelly threw right into the teeth.

I wouldn't say that Kelly necessarily threw it too many times. It was just that the defense couldn't get off the field and the offense had trouble getting into a rhythm.

The one series that I remember the most that no one ever talks about is the offensive series AFTER the safety. The Bills had just gone up 12-3 and the momentum was on their side. They received the ball in favorable scoring position -- and a score there may very well have sealed the game because the Giants' offense was not built to come back. Instead, the offense wasted that series -- all of which were passes: a beautiful throw to Reed that was incomplete due to a crazy hit by the defender, an errant throw from Kelly that went incomplete, and another beautiful throw to Reed that was simply dropped (poor Reed was beaten to a pulp that day and certainly heard footsteps).

The Giants got the ball back, marched down the field on a 8 or 9 minute drive to get within 12-10 -- then got the ball first in the 2nd half to go on another 8 or 9 minute drive to take the lead. The Bills' offense was dormant for over an hour.

Yes, those NFC East teams of the early 90s were a poor match-up for us (always thought the Bills would have fared much better against the 49ers). But Marv was badly out-coached in all 4 of those Super Bowls.

How about the 1998 game vs Pats in NE where the ref called pass interference on Henry Jones in the end zone. No time on the clock. NE got one play from the one yard line and scored. Bledsoe to Ben 'Winter' Coates. I kicked the laundry basket across the room when the pass interference was called and scarred the girl i was hanging out with. Think i shout ' F*cking refs, they screw us every time'. I often wonder if players hurt as much as we as fans do. Ha

Need I say Music City Horseshit? You know, the forward lateral? Yeah that one. Or how about the year before that where Eric Moulds (sp) scored a touchdown late in the game for the go ahead and about 30 seconds after he scored the ref threw a flag for "off sides".

When they lost to the Pats in '98 after an interference call and wouldn't even come back on for the extra point. I believe they stopped them short on a fourth and ten in that one and one of the refs was like, "Just give it to 'em!

The list goes on and on...

This is the worst loss to me because the Bills had it won until the refs gave it to the patsies, but I have seen many over the years. The Bills indeed did stop them on 4th down on what would have been a game ending play by the defense. The replay clearly shows the patsie receiver (name not worth remembering, sorry) was out of bounds on the 4th down pass attempt. If you look at a replay, the receiver was short of a first down AND he was even out past the white marker on the sideline when he caught the ball!!@!@ Andre Reed heard a ref say "give it to them" and they did. Then on a hail mary into the end zone, with everyone pushing and shoving on both sides, they call a pass interference penalty on Henry Jones (?). First and goal, touchdown. The Bills walked off the field in protest before the extra point and vinatari ran it in for 2 points. Bullsh!t calls on a game the Bills had won.

I'm gonna read this thread before my workouts...WOW! Im pumped!!!!!!!!!!

I usually attend one game a season and I was at both these games. And another last second loss to the Colts. Worst thing about the Denver game, other than Kevin Everett getting hurt. About a minute after Elam makes the FG a heavy rainstorm starts. Not only did we get soaked on the way out but if it happens a few minutes sooner that kick becomes a lot tougher to make. I looked up to the sky and said 'Not funny dude, give us a break will ya'!

he never really did, huh?... until now... look out NFL... when the Bills do something, they usually find an unusual way to do it, don'tcha think?...

To:

Mad Town Buffalo.

Don't think about these losses as that only puts all of us in a bad spot. Think about the Houston Win from 35-3 down at the half. That is resilience, determintation, and a "I don't care, but I'm going to kick their ass trying attitude". That makes me want to lift, train, and run harder.

This thread is tough as it reminds me of that Tim Russert exerpt where he talked about the Buffalo Curse. I can't live that way. I'm so excited for this year, adn yes, I've been as disheartened as all of you. I'm just so excited I think we have football people finally running this team since the Butler/Polian Clan of old.

I'll take the Southern drawl all day long.

Here's my challenge to all my Bills friend out there. Forget about all of these miserable games. How about Fandemonium with the Jets win, Houston comeback, smack dpwn on the Raiders by 50 points, etc, etc. Yogi Beara always told his hitters to watch film where a player was killing it, not where he was in a slump.

Short Memories my friends! Short Memories.