Patriots Enternaining Trade Offers.....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballzo...r-ryan-mallett/

Look, I respect any poster who does not agree with me. I'll take it a step further and say that the odds would be in your favor in terms of Mallett having a drug relapse, etc.

That said, if I were GM and thought the kid was healthy and not taking drugs, I would pony up perhaps a 3rd and a 4th. Maybe more. This kid has talent that is very, very rare. There is really no throw he cannot make. I saw him throw a 50 yard post pattern.....flat footed. And there was NO air under it. It was like throwing a baseball.

I am the very first to admit that if he didn't have major issues, he would not have fallen to round 3. And, I am also VERY suspicious of the fact that Belichick would give him up were there not issues. But I maintain that if he, somehow is, or can get his head on straight, he will be able to do things on the field that only a handful of players could ever do. Nick Saban said that he can make throws that only a few people have ever made (I am paraphrasing, but very close).

Blast away at will, but keep in my that my goal, like yours, is for the Buffalo Bills to win football games. :thumbsup:

I guess I don't get why he fell to the 3rd last year and someone would trade a 3rd AND a 4th for him, with absolutely no evidence as to how he's adapting to the pro game.

I also don't think Belichek would give him up if there weren't issues

I didn't expect many to like the idea. But this board is about dialogue. I would only consider a trade because of the raw talent this kid has. And in the OP I did acknowledge the risk. The thing is, Mallet could probably throw Luck 50 yards without much air. I have been around quite some time, and have not seen 5 QBs who can make the throws that he can.

Seriously.

One of the best throwers in the history of the NFL was Jeff George. He had a dollar arm, a penny brain and half-cent attitude. Bill, you have gotten too infatuated with Mallet's arm. You need to end the romance. Why do you think in a qb driven league a prospect who can throw as impressively as he does would be available in the third round?

Maybe Bilicheck does like Mallet and is trying to gin up interest in his backup qbs when the real intention is to instead move Hoyer? If Mallet is as good as you think he is then it would be better to wait until he becomes a free agent. Then the Pats have to either pay up for his in demand services or allow him to leave and test the market.

Last year you were swooning over Mallet? This year it is Hightower. Is it fair to say that you are a romantic at heart? LOL

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/patriots-open-to-trading-brian-hoyer-or-ryan-mallett/

Look, I respect any poster who does not agree with me. I'll take it a step further and say that the odds would be in your favor in terms of Mallett having a drug relapse, etc.

That said, if I were GM and thought the kid was healthy and not taking drugs, I would pony up perhaps a 3rd and a 4th. Maybe more. This kid has talent that is very, very rare. There is really no throw he cannot make. I saw him throw a 50 yard post pattern.....flat footed. And there was NO air under it. It was like throwing a baseball.

I am the very first to admit that if he didn't have major issues, he would not have fallen to round 3. And, I am also VERY suspicious of the fact that Belichick would give him up were there not issues. But I maintain that if he, somehow is, or can get his head on straight, he will be able to do things on the field that only a handful of players could ever do. Nick Saban said that he can make throws that only a few people have ever made (I am paraphrasing, but very close).

Blast away at will, but keep in my that my goal, like yours, is for the Buffalo Bills to win football games. :thumbsup:

With a guy like Mallett, my biggest concern wouldn't necessarily be either the drugs or whether he was healthy. It would be whether he could read defenses and quickly process information. I've read that once the ball was snapped, Brady could process the situation over a full second faster than Bledsoe. Give me someone who processes information at Brady speeds, not Bledsoe speeds. (Even though Bledsoe had the better arm.)

If I had good reason to believe that Mallett was good at reading defenses and quickly seeing multiple reads, then and only then would I be tempted to take a chance on him. As you pointed out, he very clearly has the physical tools needed to be a franchise QB. If he has the mental tools also, not much stands in his way! If he doesn't have those mental tools, he'll never be more than a backup or marginal starter.

This is just further proof that the Pats are horrendous in the draft. One lucky 6th round pick in 2000, and that's it.

They made a couple good picks like Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins, Cassel, (In that they turned him into an early 2nd rounder), Samuel, and Light. But since Pioli left the Pats* haven't had many good drafts (Their 2010 draft being the only really good one since 2005). And the one good draft they had only really restocked the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

The Pats* stopped cheating thus Brady isn't unbeatable in playoff games. They also have a terrible D and haven't been able to restock it in the draft or via free agency.

This goes again to why you should draft a QB every year. A guy just has to play good in a preseason game and some stupid team will throw draft picks your way.

That hasn't happened yet. Bill is probably testing Buddy to see if we got any smarter since Bledsoe.

PTR

I didn't expect many to like the idea. But this board is about dialogue. I would only consider a trade because of the raw talent this kid has. And in the OP I did acknowledge the risk. The thing is, Mallet could probably throw Luck 50 yards without much air. I have been around quite some time, and have not seen 5 QBs who can make the throws that he can.

Seriously.

It takes more than that to be an NFL QB...Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Jeff George come to mind.

One of the best throwers in the history of the NFL was Jeff George. He had a dollar arm, a penny brain and half-cent attitude. Bill, you have gotten too infatuated with Mallet's arm. You need to end the romance. Why do you think in a qb driven league a prospect who can throw as impressively as he does would be available in the third round?

Maybe Bilicheck does like Mallet and is trying to gin up interest in his backup qbs when the real intention is to instead move Hoyer? If Mallet is as good as you think he is then it would be better to wait until he becomes a free agent. Then the Pats have to either pay up for his in demand services or allow him to leave and test the market.

Last year you were swooning over Mallet? This year it is Hightower. Is it fair to say that you are a romantic at heart? LOL

James Harris,Jay Schroeder...

Wow...better hurry up and trade for Hoyer before you can pick him up cheap as a UFA next offseason. Mallett looked like crap in extended play last preseason, Hoyer's looked ok in preseason work, but a lot of junk QBs do. I pray the Bills arent stupid enough to give up a pick for one of these nobodys.

and throw a parade for him when he comes to town. :worthy:

And then teach him to repeatedly scream, "it's MY team" every time we lose (which will be often) and throw his feces at the reporters like a monkey.

I never like disagreeing with my brother Bill, but I was on the anti-Mallett crusade when he was coming out of Arkansas and I'm still sitting high and proud on the mofugger now.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no....HELL no.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/patriots-open-to-trading-brian-hoyer-or-ryan-mallett/

I realize you wanted the Bills to draft him last year also. The FO shipped off Lynch mostly worried that he would get into more trouble the way he was going. This FO does not look like one wanting to take chances on players. There is a dearth of talent on this team right now and we need the picks to fill them (considering that our high needs of OT, LB and WR could not be filled in free agency). Whether he will get his issues corrected is besides the point, IMHO. The FO is too risk averse - perhaps they may act differently in a year or two when the cupboard is stocked. having said all this, it all comes down to the cost. If the Pats* are willing to settle for a 5th, for example, I may not mind the risk.

Hell yeah, After Tannehill none of the other QBs compare to Mallet, hopefully we wouldn't have to give a third and fourth. That said we didn't pick him last year when we had the chance so I doubt Nix would trade for him. Much rather have him than Sheppard.