Are The Bills Trying To Move Up?

The Bills had Matt Kalil in town this week. By every mock draft I've seen, he's expected to be gone no later than pick #5. So why would the FO "waste" one of its 30 allowed visits on him unless...Buddy & Co. are contemplating a move up in the draft. Considering that, aside from Kalil, the likely candidates expected to be available for the positions of need when the Bills pick comes around are pretty much all regarded as not worthy of a #10 pick, maybe they feel they can package that pick with one or two others and grab Kalil for the LT position which now is a position of major need. I'd love it if they did.

The Bills had Matt Kalil in town this week. By every mock draft I've seen, he's expected to be gone no later than pick #5. So why would the FO "waste" one of its 30 allowed visits on him unless...Buddy & Co. are contemplating a move up in the draft. Considering that, aside from Kalil, the likely candidates expected to be available for the positions of need when the Bills pick comes around are pretty much all regarded as not worthy of a #10 pick, maybe they feel they can package that pick with one or two others and grab Kalil for the LT position which now is a position of major need. I'd love it if they did.

It may also be a matter of comparison - if you compare "the best" it helps you decide how you feel about "the rest".

It has to be awful for the player this time of year.

You have countless hours spent traveling around in airplanes, staying in hotel rooms and spending hours being asked questions by teams you're 90% sure you aren't going to work for come May 1st.

I'm not even sure why teams spend the time and money doing it. At least the Bills aren't bringing in RGIII for a pointless chat.

It may also be a matter of comparison - if you compare "the best" it helps you decide how you feel about "the rest".

I agree - I think the Bills just want to better see how other LT's in the draft compare to Kalil. I'm guessing they probably feel there are guys they might be able to get in rounds 2-4 who have similar upside. I really can't imagine them giving up picks to move up for this guy. They're still too many holes away from being a contender. So, it's got to be for comparison's sake.

its called being prepared in case the unexpected happens which most teams do and makes perfect sense

what would happen if the Bills didnt bring him in and he drops? do they use the 10th pick in the draft on a guy they didnt even bring in? wouldnt they feel more comfortable making that pick instead of sitting there wondering whats wrong with him and wishing they did bring him in?

The Bills are not trading up

Edited by Max997

Part of it is strategic. No reason not to host guys who likely won't be there at 10 and it wouldn't raise any suspicions from other clubs. But once you start hosting all the guys who may fall lower, then you may start tipping your hand at where you may go. The best strategy is to have completely random visits by players to keep everyone guessing.

Definitely interesting that we're having these top 6 guys in for visits. If you're talking with the teams ahead of you about moving up, might as well bring in all the guys you might trade up for so teams don't know who you're targeting. When you're not rebuilding and have some extra picks, not a bad time to move up and target an elite talent at a position of need.

You have countless hours spent traveling around in airplanes, staying in hotel rooms and spending hours being asked questions by teams you're 90% sure you aren't going to work for come May 1st.

I'm not even sure why teams spend the time and money doing it. At least the Bills aren't bringing in RGIII for a pointless chat.

I disagree... If I was the player and had the opportunity to go to different facilities and different stadiums to get a feel for how similar/different teams do things I would be very excited and in a way be better prepared of what's to come. (hopefully that is)

yea, it's tough being treated like a prima dona staying in top hotels, eating in the best places, private jets for top picks,all in anticipation of being a multi millionaire in a few weeks. So, being a fry cook is much less stressful. Actually I believe the Bills did talk to RG3 just not in B-LO.

um.....yeah. Would just Hate to be flown around the country while Billionaire teams can bid to make me a Millionaire or Multi-Millionaire. Staying at the best hotels. Going to the nicest restaurants (this post brought to you by Tempo). I've got better things to do with my time!

Yeah. That would suck! :flirt:

Edited by Cville Bills

Having almost no responsibilities other than working out and being wined and dined by million dollar organizations has to be the worst.

yea, it's tough being treated like a prima dona staying in top hotels, eating in the best places, private jets for top picks,all in anticipation of being a multi millionaire in a few weeks. So, being a fry cook is much less stressful. Actually I believe the Bills did talk to RG3 just not in B-LO.

This is how NFL millionaires blow their stack and end up broke. They think the gravy train will never end.

Years ago I heard a Bills GM say that in first round several players slip.

Rule of thumb... if you are drafting 10 your have a 60% chance of picking up players on your draft board from 6 thru 10... Bills could pick up a very good player at number 10 ... without reaching...

Years ago I heard a Bills GM say that in first round several players slip.

Rule of thumb... if you are drafting 10 your have a 60% chance of picking up players on your draft board from 6 thru 10... Bills could pick up a very good player at number 10 ... without reaching...

I don't understand your mathematics but I agree the Bills will have a pool of very good players available at #10 like Richardson and DeCastro. The problem is, they're not the ones the Bills really need. And the players they need seem not to be worth a #10 pick. They're pretty much all a reach, including Floyd. With Bell signing with the Igles, LT becomes a critical need. But again, after Kalil there really isn't one likely to be available who's worth a #10. Which is why I think it makes sense to package the #10 with some of the other picks and move to #3 for Kalil. Thinking the teams from 3 to 9 are all going to pass on him is Magical Thinking.

I've got this recurring nightmare containing a sequence where we move up to take Trent Richardson.

...Okay, so it's more of a Beer-induced daydream. still, When I think of us taking Spiller #9 overall when we already had good backs in Lynch, and Freddy, I get anxious.

Buddy wouldn't do it.

Not again.

Would he?

Dammit, he's thinking about it, isn't he?

I knew it.

In some people's twisted minds, Richardson is the BPA after RG3. I mean he had a stellar pro day. Richardson showed tremendous speed, strength, and versatility. Which is why I'm hoping like heck Buddy isn't interested in another back.

Freddy's no spring chicken. Him going down last year may have left Nix with a bad taste. -Probably why he's not that interested in paying him much. I like Richardson, but if he's going to run behind that O-line, it needs some shoring-up. A first-round talent at WR couldn't hurt either. Bottom line, -I REALLY don't want us drafting another RB in the first round this year. I Sure hope this fear I have proves to be irrational.

I've got this recurring nightmare containing a sequence where we move up to take Trent Richardson.

...Okay, so it's more of a Beer-induced daydream. still, When I think of us taking Spiller #9 overall when we already had good backs in Lynch, and Freddy, I get anxious.

Buddy wouldn't do it.

Not again.

Would he?

I knew it.

In some people's twisted minds, Richardson is the BPA after RG3. I mean he had a stellar pro day. Richardson showed tremendous speed, strength, and versatility. Which is why I'm hoping like heck Buddy isn't interested in another back.

Freddy's no spring chicken. Him going down last year may have left Nix with a bad taste. -Probably why he's not that interested in paying him much. I like Richardson, but if he's going to run behind that O-line, it needs some shoring-up. A first-round talent at WR couldn't hurt either. Bottom line, -I REALLY don't want us drafting another RB in the first round this year. I Sure hope this fear I have proves to be irrational.

I wonder if Spiller or Jackson would be used as trade bait to pick Richardson. Them having Richardson in for a visit is just plain weird.

Looking at the Buddy's pre draft visit list for the Bills tells me that they are fixin' to trade up for somebody.

Buddy wouldn't do it.

Not again.

Would he?

I knew it.

I think Buddy's proven that the slam on him of being "old" doesn't really hold. But there is one area where his beliefs may have been shaped by "the way things are done" from the past, and that's taking a RB high in the draft. By now, it's pretty clear that the league no longer values RBs the way they used to. It seems to me that in the current Pass First NFL, Cornerbacks have replaced RBs as the more highly sought after talents. I just don't know that Buddy has internalized that change so maybe you're right that he might go for Richardson. Jeez, I certainly hope not.

Edited by yungmack

Buddy wouldn't do it.

Not again.

Would he?

I knew it.

Not that I disagree with you, but Richardson didn't just have a stellar pro day, he had a stellar collegiate career playing in the SEC. I think he's actually the surest bet in this draft.

Well you never really now with Buddy , i for one never in a million years thought he would put out the money he did for Mario but he did ..

This year we have a few extra picks from the Evans trade , the Lynch trade & a compensatory pick we could offer our first & those other picks (if it added up) & have a top LT for the next 5 or more years with Hairiston as a back up ..

At this point i wouldn't count Buddy out of any thing !! There was also talk of Nix retiring this year but heres a thought ??

What if he has been thinking about retirement but just not last year & wanted to set his legacy in the NFL as one of the better GM's , what if he is thinking next year or the following year if he was to make all these great deals to brings the Bills back to a relevant status he would go down as one of the greats as far as a GM is concerned .

His name could then be put in with the likes of Pollian & Newsome !! Ya never can tell !!

Edited by T master