Who's next??? Capitalize on this momentum!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario signing is PHENOMENAL!!!! Also, sends a major message to other FA's...

So now that this deal is done, who is next? Who would you like to see us target next?

I would like Flynn and Manningham to be considered...

I could not agree more.

I always said that pre-Super Bowl days, Kelly opted to play in the USFL with the Houston Gamblers rather than come to Buffalo. Bruce Smith did not like it. Cornelius Bennett always scoffed at Buffalo the City. Thurman Thomas was so pee'd off at the rest of the league for not drafting him in the 1st, he gladly came to the Bills to get revenge on all of the teams that did not draft him.

In other words: no one wanted to come to Buffalo.

I could not agree more that now with Super Mario, the Bills have some major help in selling the team to other free agents.

The 3 days did stress me out some, but in the end it proved to be worth it.

GO BILLS!

I wasn't going to re-up my Sunday Ticket...now I don't really have a choice! :thumbsup:

Now that we've signed Mario Williams, we have an epic front four with Williams, Williams, Dareus, and...who? Kelsay? Merriman? Can we trust them on the other side of the line? What if we went out and capitalized on our new found attraction after the Super Mario signing and pick up John Abraham on the other side of the line? This would most definitely be the best d-line in the NFL. Abraham would just be a stop gap, since he's aging, but he still plays at an incredibly high level. Should we get him?

i would like to see the bills add a vet LT to really open up the options on draft day. a guy who wouldn't require a long-term committment and could hold the job or, if someone pushes him, serve as a quality back-up. this would allow the bills the flexability to take a martin at #10 but also not lock them in there if the BPA is not a OT. likewise, it wouldn't box them out from taking a guy like martin as signing a younger guy to a long-term/big money deal would.

on that note a guy i'd target is jeff backus from the lions. 34 years old, long-time starter, probably could be had on a 1 year deal to keep the seat warm. with the lions bringing mcneil in for a look backus must be looking around to see what he can land, bills should kick the tires (and as he's coming off some surgery, need to give a good kick, but i think he'd be a good fit).

Now that we've signed Mario Williams, we have an epic front four with Williams, Williams, Dareus, and...who? Kelsay? Merriman? Can we trust them on the other side of the line? What if we went out and capitalized on our new found attraction after the Super Mario signing and pick up John Abraham on the other side of the line? This would most definitely be the best d-line in the NFL. Abraham would just be a stop gap, since he's aging, but he still plays at an incredibly high level. Should we get him?

I'd rather sign Manningham and draft pass rush in the first 2 rounds.

Abraham would just be a stop gap, since he's aging, but he still plays at an incredibly high level. Should we get him?

All I can do is point out that we once got Art Still to bookend Bruce. He played pretty well until Leon Seals took over. In the mid-'90s we picked up Jim Jeffcoat to do the same thing and he played pretty well until we drafted Marcellus Wiley. It's not a bad idea.

What about the falcons Lofton? The bills still need a LB, and he is very good.

He plays ILB, or did, in a 4-3 scheme here in ATL. Not saying he would not be good at OLB, but the knock on him in Atl and why he got let go was he can not cover. Falcons were dead last in 2011 in third down defense.

basically Falcons felt like his asking price was to high for a two down LB. FWIW.

Not sure who is next.

Where are they now in cap space? How much could they free up by cutting Edwards??

He plays ILB, or did, in a 4-3 scheme here in ATL. Not saying he would not be good at OLB, but the knock on him in Atl and why he got let go was he can not cover. Falcons were dead last in 2011 in third down defense.

basically Falcons felt like his asking price was to high for a two down LB. FWIW.

Pat Kirwain and Tim Ryan discussed where Lofton would fit. Pat believes that Sheppard would be a good fit at the strong side line backer. The would put Lofton in the middle and Barnett at weak side LB. I don't think it will happen though.

Me too. Lets fill some other holes before the draft. I'd like Flynn. Even Dennis Dixon. We def need to get a QB in here. We have no backup. It would be terrible for Fitz to get hurt in the first game and have the season totally tank.

Flynn isn't going somewhere to sit I don't think. As soon as Manning signs he will go to a team that missed out.

Flynn isn't going somewhere to sit I don't think. As soon as Manning signs he will go to a team that missed out.

Could be true.

But also sounds like teams are thinking twice about making another back up who showed his stuff in one game.

I mean you got Ryan Mitchell and Rob Johnson to remember that leason.

Also got to wonder how him playin gon GB makes teams hesitant. Good team, good system. Might work against him some?

I am sure he will get a decent contract, but it will be incentive laden.

Could be true.

But also sounds like teams are thinking twice about making another back up who showed his stuff in one game.

I mean you got Ryan Mitchell and Rob Johnson to remember that leason.

Also got to wonder how him playin gon GB makes teams hesitant. Good team, good system. Might work against him some?

I am sure he will get a decent contract, but it will be incentive laden.

Teams are in a holding pattern on QBs because of Peyton. PFT (who was wrong every time in the Mario stories) says the Fish are going all in on Flynn, but Seattle may make him a sizeable offer.

1331846189[/url]' post='2409892']

How about Mark Anderson or Kameron Wimbley? They probably aren't going to be all that expensive and they have a track record of being solid pass rushers.

I don't think Wimberly is even available. If he were a available, you are incorrect, he will most definitely be expensive. Anderson won't command the same money Wimberly does.

I'd rather sign Manningham and draft pass rush in the first 2 rounds.

Then Hairston is your starting left tackle? That position absolutely needs to get addressed way before the third round. I'm hoping they could resign Bell for a reasonable number.

When asked about the possibility of making other major free agent additions Nix said the following.

“I told you guys earlier this week that we may be out of the business by Friday,” said Nix. “Did you see (Mario’s) contract? We may be out of the business.”

I doubt we're signing anyone else ...

When asked about the possibility of making other major free agent additions Nix said the following.

I told you guys earlier this week that we may be out of the business by Friday, said Nix. Did you see (Marios) contract? We may be out of the business.

I doubt we're signing anyone else ...

I think Nix is saying, for the right price at the right position, we may make a deal.

If they could get a player at WR, OLB, or CB for a fair price, they will look at it.

I do not believe he is going to look at LT, because in his mind he wants one of the guys in the draft. IMHO.

But i do not think they will make any deals till at least after the weekend. At this point, the longer a guy sits out there, the better it helps the teams looking.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Need a WR, LT and OLB.

OLB,OLB and LT. WR not as big a priority. We need to put more work into the engine before

getting the fancy chrome and wheels.

Great start though.We now have 4 out of 7 spots filled on the D front.

LB,LB and LT...unless we feel there is a steal at QB somewhere.

-ps--talking BOTH FA and draft here.

Edited by Tcali

i just think both floyd and wright are going to be great wideouts and when bell is in he is a top half lt i don't know if i wanna pass up the ability to solidify our wr corps for 5 years.

we need 1 olb for sure t cali. LT I agree with you but i disagree when it comes to wideout with you its a huge need. Stevie was good this year but he can be great with a little help.

i agree i think resigning bell, trying to trade back, and drafting floyd or wright would do the most to improve our franchise. I would like to get some lb depth in free agency, any d.es that will have an impact are just going to be too costly at this point.

You are the first person to mention Kendall Wright. I was just talking to another Analyst about the possibility of the Bills taking the speedy, field-stretching WR who gets separation first, and taking a taller WR later, say RD4 (McNutt, LaVon Brazill, Lavoisier Tuinei). We could still do the opposite and take the speedy guy later, as there are a bunch of them:

Kendall Wright

Joe Adams

Isaiah Thomas

Marquis Maze

Chris Rainey

You are the first person to mention Kendall Wright. I was just talking to another Analyst about the possibility of the Bills taking the speedy, field-stretching WR who gets separation first, and taking a taller WR later, say RD4 (McNutt, LaVon Brazill, Lavoisier Tuinei). We could still do the opposite and take the speedy guy later, as there are a bunch of them:

Kendall Wright

Joe Adams

Isaiah Thomas

Marquis Maze

Chris Rainey

we need a QB to get the ball to that fieldstretcher.otherwise we are wasting him because the DBs are gonna pinch in/play up like they did last year.

I'd argue that w/ Williams in tow, the Bills should not hesitate about taking some risky short term gambits in the draft/trade market. Personally, I'd be comfortable with the Bills grabbing the top LT on the board at 10 and then trading back into the 1st for a solid WR. That being said, there are a few guys in FA worth taking a shot on. And Mike Wallace is out there...

i gotta disagree with you there union. Ive been reading this book its called war room and it follows bill belicheck, thomas dimitroff, and pioli and talks about building the perfect franchise. I think we would be making a huge mistake making a run at a bunch of guys this year and leaving us no picks for next year, we have a lot of long term key components locked up were 2 good drafts away from being Super Bowl contenders I want to stay at that pace.

Signing one player doesn't erase "Ralph is cheap." That's erased if the Bills spend up to their cap limit. If they tie up money into one player and remain $25M under the cap, that is cheap and just a splashy signing to sell tickets. Remember it's not $100M contract, its $50M guaranteed, the only thing that matters.

I'm for the Bills getting another elite DE--FA or draft. I assume draft and target Couples/Upshaw/Ingram. They should use existing FA money to sign WR (I like Lloyd for best fit although rumor has him going to New England) and address LB. They can draft tackle/LB/best available after getting their bookend DE's. Pass rush is critical and can mask other weaknesses and make an average secondary look stellar. Case in point, NYG. They can harass any passer, Rodgers/Brady/etc. That's the key to beating elite teams.

I'm also not sold on Fitz--I really don't think he's a starter, but he's an elite backup. I would like to see Bills address QB at some point, probably after this year. Flynn is not Fitz competition--he's signing as a starter and could be a bargain for whoever gets him. He could also be a Kolb-like flop. Like another poster said, I hope I'm wrong about Fitz but he seems to weaken with the season and isn't strong-armed enough to handle Buffalo. Few are, maybe the elite QBs and Cutler types.

There is reason for optimism, but if Buffalo stops after Williams, it seems more like a big marketing ploy than anything else. Ralph should prove everybody wrong and show he's serious about winning before his own clock expires. If I were him, I would go all out for a Super Bowl while he's still alive. Honestly, what's a billionaire saving money for at this point. C'mon Ralphie.

Edit: I really like Wallace and think he's worth a #1 but not for Bills because Fitz doesn't have the arm strength to utilize his deep speed like it's meant to be utilized.

Edited by ozone

Also, I'd argue that its far more important for the Bills to acquire a WR who can get up and pull down a 50/50 ball, than it is for them to get a burner. Fitz doesn't have the arm to beat people down the field with frequency. Sure, every once and awhile he'll get a one on one and catch the defense sleeping, but he doesn't have a rocket that is going to benefit someone like Manningham, or a burner in the draft. But, what he does do well, is anticipating coverage and putting the ball in a place where his receiver can make a good play on it. Getting someone who is big, physical (with 4.48-4.55 speed) would be huge.

Mario signing is PHENOMENAL!!!! Also, sends a major message to other FA's...

So now that this deal is done, who is next? Who would you like to see us target next?

I would like Flynn and Manningham to be considered...

Manningham is being considered.

Flynn wants to start. He's already backing up the NFC champion QB. He will go somewhere where he can be annointed "Starter" from Day 1

I hear you and thats a great point. I'm not talking about trading away the farm, but I am talking about trading back into the late first round if a good OT/WR is still on the board. My viewpoint is essentially, the Bills are still a a 8-8/9-7 team with Williams. One player can change the dynamic of a franchise, but he can't change a 6-10 team to a 10-6 team or a 11-5 team. The Bills need to make upgrades on offense. They cannot enter the season with the current WR/OT depth and hope to avoid the pitfalls of last season. So, they can use what they have and see what happens. Or they can keep the momentum and make some strategic moves, acquiring what they need in the process. Note the WR depth in this year's draft is weak. And I'm well aware that 1st year WRs don't make a huge impact, unless they're name AJ Green. But that, to me, is even more reason to draft the talent now, so that they can develop in the next few years when the Bills will finally be a team ready to push for a deep run in the postseason.

Honestly, after Blackmon, I think there are a dozen receivers that bring different strengths to the fore. I had been leaning towards Floyd myself, but his game speed and separation skills aren't that much better than many others. I'd prefer to go after Randle, McNutt, Childs or Fuller in the 2nd thru 5th and focus on still more pass rush and an OT for the early picks.

If you want to bring in another #3 WR to compete with David Nelson, that's fine. Manningham has never shown to be anything more than that.

And you want another open QB competition going into next season? Less than a year after signing Fitz to his new deal? No man, that's not a good idea. Flynn will go where they hand him the starting job. He's not interested in competing with anyone for it. You know that, don't you?

I agree. Manningham is decent but no way I would pay him #1 receiver money. I would rather take my chances drafting one this year in the first round.

OLB,OLB and LT. WR not as big a priority. We need to put more work into the engine before

getting the fancy chrome and wheels.

Great start though.We now have 4 out of 7 spots filled on the D front.

LB,LB and LT...unless we feel there is a steal at QB somewhere.

-ps--talking BOTH FA and draft here.

I'd Hardly call WR Fancy chrome and wheels In todays pass happy nfl... More like tires

Personally, OT at #10 would be fine. But if what you really want is a stud wide receiver. Sign Mike Wallace and give Pittsburgh our #1 pick... Really, could you draft a better WR at #10???

What is he going to demand for contract though....9-12 mil a year????

I'd Hardly call WR Fancy chrome and wheels In todays pass happy nfl... More like tires

agreed #2 wideouts are no longer luxury, there needs. Between this pass happy league, having the jets and there corners in our division, and to beat elite teams such as the (49ers who we play this year) or texans, etc etc we need to be able to exploit them and we can't do that without a true threat at 2.

What is he going to demand for contract though....9-12 mil a year????

I just read in an article he's gonna want 10.5 ish i think he deserves it too.

agreed #2 wideouts are no longer luxury, there needs. Between this pass happy league, having the jets and there corners in our division, and to beat elite teams such as the (49ers who we play this year) or texans, etc etc we need to be able to exploit them and we can't do that without a true threat at 2.

I just read in an article he's gonna want 10.5 ish i think he deserves it too.

Do the bills want to pay that money...i think that is going to take up the rest of our cap space wont it?