Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you point to another human being that is 6'-6" 283 Fast, quick, nimble, and powerful?

JULIUS Peppers. . . Maybe JJ Watt. . . And?

The fact of the matter is Mario Williams is a freak of nature.

On top of that he has been productive sack artist. He is on pace to break :worthy: Bruuuuuce's sack record

On top of that he is in the prime of his life right now.

All those factors add up to a once a decade if not generation free agent signing which also means big money is needed to sign a player like that.

Peppers and Haynesworth's contracts did not raise the stakes for everyone else because there aren't Peppers and Marios all over the league. (And there aren't other Redskin franchises)

i´d add JPP to that list

Let's say we didn't spend $16 million per year on Mario Williams?

What combination of other top free agents would have been better for the same amount of money?

John Abraham just re-signed for $7 million per year

Jeremy Mincey got between $6-7 million

Prior to free agency, Robert Mathis got $9 million

Pierre Garcon got over $8 million

Vincent Jackson got over $11 million

Robert Meachem and Laurent Robinson got $6-7 million

Reggie Wayne re-signed for over $6 million

DeSean Jackson re-signed for over $10 million

People who say we could have gotten "several" good free agents for the same price are fooling themselves. For roughly the same amount of money, we could have signed maybe TWO decent players. Like a combination of 34-year-old John Abraham and the overrated Pierre Garcon. I'll take Mario Williams - thank you very much.

Edited by mjt328

there is no amount of money that we could offer mario williams that would be overpaying.

there are moves that change the course of not just sports teams, but sports leagues.

the chicago bulls drafted mj

the cleveland cavaliers drafted lebron

the lakers traded for shaq

the giants got eli

the colts drafted peyton

some moves are bigger than x's and o's.

bigger than dollars and cents.

some moves change the direction of organizations.

this is one of those moves.

this gets hundreds of millions of people that watch football to stop saying "the buffalo bills lol" and start saying "the buffalo bills!"

this makes some 20 year old college football player sitting in his dorm room right now playing madden, make buffalo his "go-to" team cause of mario and stevie.

that same 20 year old that could be sitting in his dorm room with the next great qb, watching pro games on tv, seeing the ralph at capacity.. to turn and say "man, someday we should be playing THERE."

these are the kind of moves that get us 4 prime time games next year. 2 at home.

there is no amount of money in this scenario that constitutes as overpaying.

on thursday morning, we were the buffalo bills. now, we're The Buffalo Bills.

+1...Amen!

there is no amount of money that we could offer mario williams that would be overpaying.

there are moves that change the course of not just sports teams, but sports leagues.

the giants got eli

the colts drafted peyton

this gets hundreds of millions of people that watch football to stop saying "the buffalo bills lol" and start saying "the buffalo bills!"

this makes some 20 year old college football player sitting in his dorm room right now playing madden, make buffalo his "go-to" team cause of mario and stevie.

that same 20 year old that could be sitting in his dorm room with the next great qb, watching pro games on tv, seeing the ralph at capacity.. to turn and say "man, someday we should be playing THERE."

these are the kind of moves that get us 4 prime time games next year. 2 at home.

The Bills will always need to show that the team is viable in Buffalo, including economically. I think the MW signing potentially helps for the following reasons:

1. The Bills need to stay in Buffalo after RW passes. Anything that shows how excited and committed our fans are will ultimately make it more difficult for the Bills to ever leave Buffalo. A better, winning team will also indirectly improve the chances that the Bills stay in Buffalo over the long term, including because of increased ticket sales as noted below.

2. The Toronto arrangement ends after this year and the Bills need to negotiate an extension. I know that many of us do not like the Bills playing any games in Toronto, but it is an important source of revenue for the team and plays into the efforts to regionalize the Bills

3. The Bills will be seeking money from NY State for improvements to the stadium. A winning team with strong fan support may help with this process and put pressure on Cuomo and the State legislature to deliver the necessary funding.

4. There has already been an increase in season ticket sales, and I would expect that the MW addition will lead to improved attendance (particularly if the Bills get off to a good start this year) and increased sales of Bills related merchandise.

I agree with points 1,3, & 4, all good points and all reasonable arguments for the ancillary benefits to MW signing with the BILLS. However, while I understand your logic regarding point #2, I respectfully disagree. The truth is, those Tornoto games didn't sell out because the reach of BILLS football for ticket sales doesn't go quite that far. I'm sure there are many Toronto fans of the Buffalo BILLS, but getting in and out of Canada is no longer as easy as it once was and for many people they can get less hassle at a cheaper price to watch it either on cable or via satellite. Plus, I think with this team, ready to take the locker room today - let alone after FA is done and the Draft is completed - will draw a sell out crowd at that ONE Toronto game, and we wouldn't be sacrificing the home game advantage. Now, the benefit to the Toronto series in hindsight might be phenomenal. Take away the privielge of seeing some good football live and in person, such as when the BILLS played the Jets and the Dolphins, and when this team is competitive again, as we should be this year, and the fans will appreciate what they lost....another chance to inflict upon opposing teams our rabid support of a great team and organization.

1331986829[/url]' post='2412433']

Can you point to another human being that is 6'-6" 283 Fast, quick, nimble, and powerful?

JULIUS Peppers. . . Maybe JJ Watt. . . And?

The fact of the matter is Mario Williams is a freak of nature.

On top of that he has been productive sack artist. He is on pace to break :worthy: Bruuuuuce's sack record

On top of that he is in the prime of his life right now.

All those factors add up to a once a decade if not generation free agent signing which also means big money is needed to sign a player like that.

Peppers and Haynesworth's contracts did not raise the stakes for everyone else because there aren't Peppers and Marios all over the league. (And there aren't other Redskin franchises)

I hope you're joking about Bruce's sack record. 200- 53?

I hope you're joking about Bruce's sack record. 200- 53?

Yeah a bit of an exaggeration, but :worthy: Bruuucce had 57 through his first 5 seasons, then that glorious 19 sack season.

So if Mario has a 19 sack season in Buffalo in 2012, it won't be as much as an exaggeration but that would be a big IF.

I think a dozen is much more achievable goal.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Look, he is recovering from an injury and at 100% is the best defensive lineman, maybe the best defensive player in the game today. Huge huge addition to what has been a weak spot, and there are two proven defensive tackles starting the season. I'm not sure about Kelsay, but between him and possible draft help we will have gone a LONG way toward respectability. I suppose the proof will be in the pudding as to how we do next year, but looking at it as of this moment it is a very good deal for the Bills.

Simmons overlooks the effect signing Williams will have on future free agents. We would have overpaid for all those other players mentioned to have even a prayer of signing them. We may still have to overpay. (It's still Buffalo after all.) But players and agents will listen to our offers instead of laughing us off.

PTR

Yep. We overpaid. Usually do for Free Agents. Thats why you have to develop through the draft and keep your own.

But we have the money. I am glad we spent it. I overpaid for my house too, but I really like it, its a perfect fit for my family, and it has provided me tons of great memories. Oh well. I had to live somewhere, might as well be happy. Ditto for Mario. Hopefully he can help provide us many great memories too.

Its not like we spent 100M on a non-impact player. We got one of the top (if not THE top) DE in football. When was the last time we could say that?

pass rush was the single biggest need for the team by a long shot!!! Williams is possibly the best pas rusher in the league!!! He was signed at what his value was figured to be!!!

So, since its the Bills they were stupid and over paid!!! And if the didnt Ralf is cheep and doesent want to win.

the giants got eli

the colts drafted peyton

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

The question people should be asking is why the hell a team uses the #1 overall pick on a DE and he pans out and ends up being a stud and you let him walk. I realize they switched to a 3-4 but you don't draft guy at the top of the draft and let them walk after 1 contract when they end up being fantastic players. You do everything you can to hold onto them.

The question people should be asking is why the hell a team uses the #1 overall pick on a DE and he pans out and ends up being a stud and you let him walk.

They've mismanaged their cap space. They also lost 2 starting offensive linemen this year that they also wanted to keep. There is no way they could have competed with our offer.

They've mismanaged their cap space. They also lost 2 starting offensive linemen this year that they also wanted to keep. There is no way they could have competed with our offer.

They didn't have to compete with the offer, they had his rights before they let him reach FA. They could have tagged him or come up with a way re-signing him that allowed them to stay under the cap. Imo, you don't let top flight talent walk away from your team for nothing. Tag and trade him- do something, anything - but get some value out of him.

Edited by MDH

They didn't have to compete with the offer, they had his rights before they let him reach FA. They could have tagged him or come up with a way re-signing him that allowed them to stay under the cap. Imo, you don't let top flight talent walk away from your team for nothing. Tag and trade him- do something, anything - but get some value out of him.

His tag number was $22 million for this year. That's a worse cap hit than resigning him.