Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't like the Texans are losing Williams to the Patriots or the Saints or the 49ers or the Ravens. And it isn't like they're losing him to the cities of Miami, New York or Chicago.

The Texans are losing Mario Williams to an inferior team in a city that doesn't offer Williams anything he doesn't have in Houston (unless he likes snow). Ouch.

Poor Tully. :cry:

link to what he wrote yesterday

link to what he wrote today

Perhaps some of our more edumacated fans can send him additional emails.

Also a good Michael Silver piece on what the signing means.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Stevie Johnson sat at a Hooters on Tuesday night, a strawberry lemonade in his right hand, a just-got-paid smile on his face. Then, with one glance at his iPhone, the Buffalo Bills’ newly minted receiver took an emotional trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

“Looks like he’s leaving town,” Johnson said, referring to a report that defensive end Mario Williams, the (non-Peyton) prize of this year’s free-agent class, would depart Buffalo the following day and visit other potential suitors. “That can’t be good.”

Added Johnson: “Signing Mario doesn’t automatically put wins on our record. But it definitely changes the mindset of other players around the league. You hear, ‘Nobody really comes to Buffalo.’ But we just showed you that we can land someone like Mario, and that’s huge. That’s part of building something big.”

“You’ve got to look at the whole [month] and ask, ‘Who made the biggest moves this offseason?’ ” defensive end Shawne Merriman said late Thursday night. “They’re working on a deal for Freddie [Jackson, the team’s versatile running back], too. We’re making moves in the right direction.

“Signing Mario, that makes a huge statement. When I came to Buffalo [in November of 2010], Buddy [Nix, the team’s general manager] said, ‘You come here, we’re going to turn this thing around, and we’re gonna act fast.’ Well, they acted. There’s a real buzz. It’s gonna be a great year.”

link to article

Sorry for shouting! I posted that when I heard ya on the Presser. Nice job man!

oh, thanks. this week has been a fog, between two Sabres games, two Bona tournament berths, and the Bills taking two days to sign some guy ;)

some 12 stories later, and one quick stop at the drinking place, i was trying to pinpoint what happened at 3:29 -- oh, sorry, 4:29 because no one's changed the freakin' time on this board yet -- yesterday.

thanks. :flirt:

jw

oh, thanks. this week has been a fog, between two Sabres games, two Bona tournament berths, and the Bills taking two days to sign some guy ;)

some 12 stories later, and one quick stop at the drinking place, i was trying to pinpoint what happened at 3:29 -- oh, sorry, 4:29 because no one's changed the freakin' time on this board yet -- yesterday.

jw

it's just that Space-time continuum thing...

jw

Dude - take responsibility for your own settings.

Edit your profile, click on the settings tab, then click the checkbox for DST correction...

:thumbsup:

Mel Kiper discusses the impact of the Williams signing on the draft.

One year ago, evaluating team needs was a very different proposition. For instance, we knew the Bills were in need of help in the pass rush. Of course, with the league locked out, there was nothing they could do but wait until the NFL draft in April. The best help for early pass-rush help in their range was Von Miller. Of course, on draft night, Miller went No. 2 overall to Denver, and the Bills (wisely) picked Marcell Dareus to help anchor the interior of their defensive line.

While I think Dareus is better suited for the 4-3, the Bills really didn't have the personnel to go to that defense last year, and they stayed in the 3-4. They also saw their sack percentage drop to 5.59, 25th in the NFL. Now, with Mario Williams in place and the team set to go back to the 4-3, I'd expect to see that sack percentage leap up. What's more, that "DE" I have listed as a top need in the draft for Buffalo can be effectively red-penned.

And the Bills aren't alone. So while there are a ton of big names out there, here are some initial impressions of where draft boards have shifted based on free agency in 2012. Glad to have it back.

Buffalo Bills

The Williams addition is huge for two reasons. One, it gives the franchise some juice it really needed in free agency. I think it's fair to say this hasn't been a destination for a while, and Williams helps buck that trend. Secondly, he opens up the draft board. The Bills need a wide receiver even with Steve Johnson re-signed. It might be a slight reach, but Michael Floyd of Notre Dame could be in the mix there.

They also could use help at outside linebacker, but I think they'll sit on that need. One thing I wonder is whether they'll double down on the pass rush and target a guy like Melvin Ingram. Why have one explosive 4-3 pass-rusher when you can have two? Either way, the draft is wide open again for the Bills.

The Bills will always need to show that the team is viable in Buffalo, including economically. I think the MW signing potentially helps for the following reasons:

1. The Bills need to stay in Buffalo after RW passes. Anything that shows how excited and committed our fans are will ultimately make it more difficult for the Bills to ever leave Buffalo. A better, winning team will also indirectly improve the chances that the Bills stay in Buffalo over the long term, including because of increased ticket sales as noted below.

2. The Toronto arrangement ends after this year and the Bills need to negotiate an extension. I know that many of us do not like the Bills playing any games in Toronto, but it is an important source of revenue for the team and plays into the efforts to regionalize the Bills

3. The Bills will be seeking money from NY State for improvements to the stadium. A winning team with strong fan support may help with this process and put pressure on Cuomo and the State legislature to deliver the necessary funding.

4. There has already been an increase in season ticket sales, and I would expect that the MW addition will lead to improved attendance (particularly if the Bills get off to a good start this year) and increased sales of Bills related merchandise.

Can you point to another human being that is 6'-6" 283 Fast, quick, nimble, and powerful?

JULIUS Peppers. . . Maybe JJ Watt. . . And?

The fact of the matter is Mario Williams is a freak of nature.

On top of that he has been productive sack artist. He is on pace to break :worthy: Bruuuuuce's sack record

On top of that he is in the prime of his life right now.

All those factors add up to a once a decade if not generation free agent signing which also means big money is needed to sign a player like that.

Peppers and Haynesworth's contracts did not raise the stakes for everyone else because there aren't Peppers and Marios all over the league. (And there aren't other Redskin franchises)

Edited by Why So Serious?