The Quick Fix For The Defense

In today's NFL, and especially against the Patriots and whatever else the Dolphins or Jets might end up with, there are 2 key players that would solidify the defense and give us an awesome front 4. Chan and Buddy said we have receivers, so just let Vincent Jackson go. Mario Williams has to be top priority, whatever the cost. Next, we have to leap frog Miami and definetely take Quinton Couples. Buffalo is that close and with some long range signings of recent we can afford to lose our 1st and a 3rd or 4th this year and possibly a 1st or 2nd next year. As the Bills get better their draft position will lower; so, if the Bills make the playoffs giving up a 20 or back for 2013 is worth it for now. We can find a tackle in round 2 or FA on day 1 or after. We have to get to the QB's. Picture this: Mario Williams - Marcel Dareus - Kyle Williams - Quinton Coples - Nick Barnett - Kelvin Sheppard - Shawne Merriman - Drayton Florence - Leodis McKelvin - Jarius Byrd - George Wilson - Terrence McGee for nickel and dime. That is what I am talking about. Buffalo is moving forward by little leaps, that would be a huge bound.

In today's NFL, and especially against the Patriots and whatever else the Dolphins or Jets might end up with, there are 2 key players that would solidify the defense and give us an awesome front 4. Chan and Buddy said we have receivers, so just let Vincent Jackson go. Mario Williams has to be top priority, whatever the cost. Next, we have to leap frog Miami and definetely take Quinton Couples. Buffalo is that close and with some long range signings of recent we can afford to lose our 1st and a 3rd or 4th this year and possibly a 1st or 2nd next year. As the Bills get better their draft position will lower; so, if the Bills make the playoffs giving up a 20 or back for 2013 is worth it for now. We can find a tackle in round 2 or FA on day 1 or after. We have to get to the QB's. Picture this: Mario Williams - Marcel Dareus - Kyle Williams - Quinton Coples - Nick Barnett - Kelvin Sheppard - Shawne Merriman - Drayton Florence - Leodis McKelvin - Jarius Byrd - George Wilson - Terrence McGee for nickel and dime. That is what I am talking about. Buffalo is moving forward by little leaps, that would be a huge bound.

Coples is garbage, I'd pick any DE over him.

why Coples? I think there is a general consensus that he is highly over rated. Whether it is his effort or production that is questioned the only real thing he brings is prototypical size. I don't want him at all but definitely not in a trade up. At 10 give me Martin, Floyd, or Mercilus (I think Ingram will be gone btw).

DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

I have no problem with Coples but don't recommend going up to get him. I'm really starting to like Mercilus a lot but with his short resume he is one of those guys that isn't proven enough to warrant the #10 overall pick but DEFINITELY won't make it to the 2nd round. So sad.

Nix has said the Bills will not reach @ 10 for a DE and you want him to trade up? I don't think you and the FO are on the same page. That's proabably a good thing.

Mayock said he wouldn't take him in the 3rd round.

Edited by qwksilver

Nix has said the Bills will not reach @ 10 for a DE and you want him to trade up? I don't think you and the FO are on the same page. That's proabably a good thing.

Mayock said he wouldn't take him in the 3rd round.

Well Mayock has never been wrong so....

Mercillus is better suited for a 3-4 OLB. So much so that Mayock took him off his board as a DE and added him to the OLB crop. He also moved Upshaw to DE because of his poor combine performance and struggles moving in space. Coples is the only DE with the prototypical measurables Nix said he's looking for, so at 10, you have to say he's probably the only DE we take if he's available. I'd prefer Floyd at 10 and then go DE in rds 2-3. There's no doubt free agency will really affect our draft. If we are able to sign a high profile FA, that will shake up our board. I know we're reputed to be going after VJackson. If we miss out on him, I would REALLY want Floyd at 10. IMO we need to look at defense in free agency because we need depth as well as starters.

There are about five very good DE's available. I wouldn't trade up to get one and in fact might conceivably wait until the second round, depending on what other holes I fill in free agency. If I got Mario...now that would be a different story. Being aggressive in free agency will make the draft a lot more interesting.

Well Mayock has never been wrong so....

Silly comment. Of course he has. But just about everyone recognizes that of all the draftniks, Mayock is one of (if not the) best at film analysis. He doesn't simply rely on what others tell him (a la Kiper and McShay). He actually played in the league too.

FWIW, I'm as uneducated in reviewing tape as anyone, and I was completely unimpressed with the effort shown by Coples for much of the past season. Unless the light suddenly comes on and he matures, whoever drafts him should prepare to be disappointed (if he's drafted in the 1st or 2nd).

Silly comment. Of course he has. But just about everyone recognizes that of all the draftniks, Mayock is one of (if not the) best at film analysis. He doesn't simply rely on what others tell him (a la Kiper and McShay). He actually played in the league too.

FWIW, I'm as uneducated in reviewing tape as anyone, and I was completely unimpressed with the effort shown by Coples for much of the past season. Unless the light suddenly comes on and he matures, whoever drafts him should prepare to be disappointed (if he's drafted in the 1st or 2nd).

He is also the lone dissenter that doesn't believe that Coples is the top DE prospect. So...either he is brilliant and EVERYONE else is wrong or...maybe this is one of the times that he is wrong and EVERYONE else is right. Just sayin'.

Aaron Williams will be The Bills #1 CB in 2012...

Just saying...It's in pen... B-)

He is also the lone dissenter that doesn't believe that Coples is the top DE prospect. So...either he is brilliant and EVERYONE else is wrong or...maybe this is one of the times that he is wrong and EVERYONE else is right. Just sayin'.

Even if he is the 'lone dissenter' Nix said he isn't reaching for a DE @ 10. So maybe he is the top DE where the DE's have lower grades than usual this year.

Still silly to trade up for Coples.

merriman will play DE not olb in the 43.

i like coples tho and still think he would fit well. people were bitching about his stats but they moved him all over the line played on the left and then bounced inside and teams ran away from him. its not like hes some bum. just watch some games of him without listenting to the talking heads so much

Even if he is the 'lone dissenter' Nix said he isn't reaching for a DE @ 10. So maybe he is the top DE where the DE's have lower grades than usual this year.

Still silly to trade up for Coples.

Already agreed to that. No argument here. I don't think Nix will draft him if he does fall either. I wouldn't mind at all if we did but I think we are going LT unless we can't find a WR in FA.

merriman will play DE not olb in the 43.

i like coples tho and still think he would fit well. people were bitching about his stats but they moved him all over the line played on the left and then bounced inside and teams ran away from him. its not like hes some bum. just watch some games of him without listenting to the talking heads so much

:thumbsup:

Coples has good size and good athleticism but not in the class of Peppers, Williams or Watt- but that wouldn't matter if he was a bright eyed kid but he's not in fact every time I see him interviewed it looks like someone just woke him up from a deep sleep- you got Coples, Ingram, Perry, and Mercilus and none of them seem like the total package you'd want a 10- of course I'm not that hot on the OTs, OGs, QBs WRs, LBs either in fact I like the DTs and CBs talent wise, my preference in order are Claiborne, Trade Back,Cox, Brocker, Poe, and Floyd.

Edited by ....lybob

Coples is garbage, I'd pick any DE over him.

I totally agree with you on that, coples is trash. I love Nick Perry i'm so shocked that no one is really showing him any love, I think he's the top DE in the draft personally. Call me crazy but he know's how to ball

if we go get mario williams he will be playing DE for us meaning we would probably address a different need in the draft, maybe a corner or trade out of the pick and get a TE or WR, colby fleener or mike floyd later in the first.

I'll be all over the Mario Milliams jersey!

[/i] MS"] I would not depend on seeing a healthy Merriman or Kyle Williams at the start of the season... If Bell is not re-signed I believe the Bills will draft a OT with their first pick... Go DE with their 2nd pick and maybe DT with their 3rd pick... I just hope they build the O-line and D-line with high picks... Right now it is what Overdorf and Littman do that is most important... Have they ever got it right during the preseason? Nix is good when it comes to the draft... He has some good guys advising him (Gailey & Wheley) but Overdorf really pinches da bucks and lets good talent get away from him when we have the chance to sign them up ........ I hope it is different this year... Bills need more talent ...

I totally agree with you on that, coples is trash. I love Nick Perry i'm so shocked that no one is really showing him any love, I think he's the top DE in the draft personally. Call me crazy but he know's how to ball

coples is trash but perry is ok? i just didnt see that. perry goes awol for whole games in a row not just a play or 2 off he just doesnt even show up in games period. i wouldnt mind if we got him later but at 10? i would be pretty bummed.

coples runs circles around perry imo

You guys are on drugs !! THIS AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN !! You got as much of a chance of sleeping with Faith Hill as you do getting Williams , he's to much money !!

We can get Coples in the first IF thats our pick & we can get another pass rusher in the second but i think we'll go in another direction ,I think we might go with a CB . With Mckelvin , & Mcgee play & health not real good , & getting rid of Corner add to that what Buddy said about being deep in the later rounds for the pass rush .

We'll see !!!

I seriously doubt we can pay Williams the kind of coin he's looking to get. There's only one owner in this entire league that would drop that kind of green without so much as a second thought -Welcome to Dallas, Mr. Williams.

With his productivity and combine scores (4.64-40 35reps 38.5 4.66 7.25 10'4") he will be moving right up the draft boards and may even be gone before 10.

You guys are on drugs !! THIS AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN !! You got as much of a chance of sleeping with Faith Hill as you do getting Williams , he's to much money !!

We can get Coples in the first IF thats our pick & we can get another pass rusher in the second but i think we'll go in another direction ,I think we might go with a CB . With Mckelvin , & Mcgee play & health not real good , & getting rid of Corner add to that what Buddy said about being deep in the later rounds for the pass rush .

We'll see !!!

I agree with you, but I honestly don't think it's even the money. The Bills could throw a load of money at him but, and I think people who start these forums don't understand, he is a FA. He has his choice of going wherever he would like. And other teams are going to throw all sorts of money at him as well as us. There just isn't anything the Bills can offer him that other teams can't, including money. Especially with regards to money with this new system of rolling over money from previous years. There are LOTS of teams with LOTS of cap space.

Edit: If what happened with Clabo last year is any indication, Willliams will use us for leverage for another team to get more money

Edited by Wayne333

Mario Williams has to be top priority, whatever the cost.

“Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you’re not careful you’ll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for,” Nix said. “We’ve been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I’m talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we’ve picked up. They’re out there, and they’ll be out there and that’s kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/buddy-nix-well-be-aggressive-for-a-difference-maker-in-free-agency/

What more does Nix have to say? He doesn't go after the Mario Williams type, it's not his philosophy, he goes after the Nick Barnett type.

What you don't seem to understand is that Mayock is NOT saying Coples will be a flop -- he's saying there are enough questions that would dissuade him from taking a chance with a top draft pick. I'm 100% certain if Coples were available in the 4th round, Mayock would recommend snatching him up in a second.

Coples simply hasn't shown the consistent play or dedication you want to see in a guy you're going to immediately give millions of dollars to -- in Mayock's well informed opinion.

“Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you’re not careful you’ll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for,” Nix said. “We’ve been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I’m talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we’ve picked up. They’re out there, and they’ll be out there and that’s kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/buddy-nix-well-be-aggressive-for-a-difference-maker-in-free-agency/

What more does Nix have to say? He doesn't go after the Mario Williams type, it's not his philosophy, he goes after the Nick Barnett type.

how can you post a link to an article that is titled "Buddy Nix: We'll be aggressive for a difference maker" then say he won't be aggressive? The very first quote from him is this:

“And when I say we’re gonna be aggressive, what I mean is this time if there’s a difference-maker — not necessarily a position — but if there’s a guy that can come in here and immediately improve our football team, we’ll get in the hunt early this time,” Nix said.

how can you post a link to an article that is titled "Buddy Nix: We'll be aggressive for a difference maker" then say he won't be aggressive? The very first quote from him is this:

"And when I say we're gonna be aggressive, what I mean is this time if there's a difference-maker — not necessarily a position — but if there's a guy that can come in here and immediately improve our football team, we'll get in the hunt early this time," Nix said.

Mario Williams would go a long way to helping the Bills pass rush all by himself, and that would be considered an aggressive move for certain. The Bills have been notoriously frugal the last few years, it still remains to be seen who the Bills will actually sign

On Coples,

Coples raised a lot of red flags last year with effort issues. He had just 7.5 sacks in 13 games and was criticized for playing at half-speed so as to avoid injury.

“I am not a Quinton Coples guy,” Mayock said. “He looks the part, he’s pretty, he’s got all kinds of ability and he’s going to remind people of Julius Peppers. That all sounds pretty good, but I’d be scared to death there, because he did not play well or hard as a senior.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/02/22/mike-mayock-nfl-draft-board-not-a-good-fit-for-miami-dolphins-first-round-needs/

According to Mayock after watching the film on Coples he stated that he played like a 3rd rounder this past year, not a first rounder. If it comes down to motivating a player... jeez, just look at what the Bills did with Lynch, Maybin and others. the last thing this team needs is a player whose motivation is questionable

I don't care how talented a player is. Guys who have motivation issues scare the hell out of me. IF you can't motivated in college playing for millions, how are you going to do it with millions in your bank account?

Plus, the reports from coaches on Coples aren't exactly glowing. http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6210

The same cannot be said for players coming out of North Carolina. We posted weeks ago that coaches from the school have not been giving Quinton Coples ringing endorsement. We are hearing the same about linebacker Zach Brown and right now most scouts would be surprised if the talented defender makes it into the first round. Lastly, we hear combine interviews from receiver Dwight Jones did not go over well with scouts.

That would scare the hell out of me if I was a GM. I was on the Upshaw trade but it sounds like he lacks the explosion. Personally if I had to go with a pass rusher, it'd be Ingram out of SC. That said, I'd still have Upshaw over Coples because I jsut don't trust Coples. But's that's just my opinion.

Mercillus is better suited for a 3-4 OLB. So much so that Mayock took him off his board as a DE and added him to the OLB crop. He also moved Upshaw to DE because of his poor combine performance and struggles moving in space. Coples is the only DE with the prototypical measurables Nix said he's looking for, so at 10, you have to say he's probably the only DE we take if he's available. I'd prefer Floyd at 10 and then go DE in rds 2-3. There's no doubt free agency will really affect our draft. If we are able to sign a high profile FA, that will shake up our board. I know we're reputed to be going after VJackson. If we miss out on him, I would REALLY want Floyd at 10. IMO we need to look at defense in free agency because we need depth as well as starters.

Mayock is one of many talent evaluators. He likely says that Mercilus is better suited to 3-4 OLB due to his athleticism and speed imo. I don't think that is a bad thing for a 4-3 DE. I think he has all the measureables that you need for a 4-3 DE and can play with his hand in the dirt as I believe he did in college.

Unless Buddy goes against his statements of liking the DE's in rounds 2-5 we won't be taking him at #10. Nix doesn't seem to be a trade up or trade down guy so it is highly unlikely that he will end up with the Bills. I imagine we would need to move back in the first or move up from the second back into the first to get him maybe around the Jets pick at 16.

Problem is that the Jets might like him at 16 since Upshaw's stiffness and lack of athleticism might prevent some teams from looking at him as an NFL 3-4 OLB. If Mayock is listing Mercilus as 3-4 OLB I wouldn't be surprise one bit to see the Jets try to get him. If we want him I think we might have to move up as high as 15 or drop down from 10. I doubt Buddy will make our first pick a one year wonder no matter how promising he looks. I just know I wouldn't like to play against him twice a year if he went to the Jets.

Edited by PDaDdy

Mayock is one of many talent evaluators. He likely says that Mercilus is better suited to 3-4 OLB due to his athleticism and speed imo. I don't think that is a bad thing for a 4-3 DE. I think he has all the measureables that you need for a 4-3 DE and can play with his hand in the dirt as I believe he did in college.

Unless Buddy goes against his statements of liking the DE's in rounds 2-5 we won't be taking him at #10. Nix doesn't seem to be a trade up or trade down guy so it is highly unlikely that he will end up with the Bills. I imagine we would need to move back in the first or move up from the second back into the first to get him maybe around the Jets pick at 16.

Problem is that the Jets might like him at 16 since Upshaw's stiffness and lack of athleticism might prevent some teams from looking at him as an NFL 3-4 OLB. If Mayock is listing Mercilus as 3-4 OLB I wouldn't be surprise one bit to see the Jets try to get him. If we want him I think we might have to move up as high as 15 or drop down from 10. I doubt Buddy will make our first pick a one year wonder no matter how promising he looks. I just know I wouldn't like to play against him twice a year if he went to the Jets.

It would be horrible for me to have the player I most want to see the Bills draft end up with the Jets or the Pats*. I don't mind cheering for players on other teams.... except division rivals or Cowboys. As an add I have seen several sites that said he doesn't project as a 34 olb and is much more suited for a 43 de. This time of year their really isn't to much consesus on anything. Just have to go with who you trust and what you see to make your own conclusions - and I think Mercilus will be a beast in the NFL for some team.

It would be horrible for me to have the player I most want to see the Bills draft end up with the Jets or the Pats*. I don't mind cheering for players on other teams.... except division rivals or Cowboys. As an add I have seen several sites that said he doesn't project as a 34 olb and is much more suited for a 43 de. This time of year their really isn't to much consesus on anything. Just have to go with who you trust and what you see to make your own conclusions - and I think Mercilus will be a beast in the NFL for some team.

Could be true, just as many drafted players will be. We have to pick the best player available, IMO, because we do have many holes. If we are not willing to trade up to grab a QB, we need the BPA, unless that player is Richardson.

I have a better chance at landing Kate Upton than the Bills have of getting the top player in FA.

So why is that? Is it the city? The franchise? The fact we have sucked for 13 years? Why won't someone make a Reggie White move and come to a small market team?

What you don't seem to understand is that Mayock is NOT saying Coples will be a flop -- he's saying there are enough questions that would dissuade him from taking a chance with a top draft pick. I'm 100% certain if Coples were available in the 4th round, Mayock would recommend snatching him up in a second.

Coples simply hasn't shown the consistent play or dedication you want to see in a guy you're going to immediately give millions of dollars to -- in Mayock's well informed opinion.

Agreed. I want a nasty prick who loves football. Coples sounds like a guy who likes money and football is just what he has to do to get it. I like Perry. I don't know his whole body of work, but he doesn't seem to take plays off and would look good next to Dareus.

As unlikely as it is that we would sign M. Williams, it would be interesting to see how hard we go after him, ESPECIALLY if Miami signs Manning. I mean, Williams was selected #1 overall specifically because the Texans had to face #18 twice a year. Now with Buffalo possible having to face both Manning AND Brady twice a year each, he has to be a top priority for the Bills. THROW THE BOAT AT THIS GUY!!! At least at the end of the day you can say that you tried. I think we actually may need him the most of any other team if this Manning to Miami goes through....

As unlikely as it is that we would sign M. Williams, it would be interesting to see how hard we go after him, ESPECIALLY if Miami signs Manning. I mean, Williams was selected #1 overall specifically because the Texans had to face #18 twice a year. Now with Buffalo possible having to face both Manning AND Brady twice a year each, he has to be a top priority for the Bills. THROW THE BOAT AT THIS GUY!!! At least at the end of the day you can say that you tried. I think we actually may need him the most of any other team if this Manning to Miami goes through....

I think a boatload of money might work, dunno about an actual boat :lol:

FWIW, Buddy Nix has his work cut out for him in bringing any top player into Buffalo at this point. ...a decade of losing...a notoriously temperamental and frugal owner... the city....the weather / snow...

Players want a shot at a ring IMO, they gotta be almost desperate to even look at a team that isn't a serious contender nowadays.

I'd really like Mario Williams but I doubt we get him so lets go Cheap, get Jamaal Anderson he's a good run defender while not much of a pass rusher yet and pick up Bruce Irvin as a pass rush specialist.

trade down with Cincinnati and pick up their 2nd

1. Floyd or Jefferies WR

2a. Zack Brown OLB

2b. Brandon Thompson DT

3. Bruce Irvin OLB

4a. Brandon Mosley OT

4b. Keith Tandy CB

5-7 LBs, DEs, CBs