Long distance relationship

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the bolded, (and i'm going to flat out give you the harsh truth), it sounds like she wants to ride as much pole as she can before she enters the real world.

Maybe, maybe not. (OP did say she was shy.) The fact that she has new friends and wants a break, yeah, there is at least one guy that piqued her interest, and he's local. She wants to test those waters without fully letting you go.

I concur with the others. Time to head out, and see what you can find locally.

Maybe, maybe not. (OP did say she was shy.) The fact that she has new friends and wants a break, yeah, there is at least one guy that piqued her interest, and he's local. She wants to test those waters without fully letting you go.

I concur with the others. Time to head out, and see what you can find locally.

Im reluctant to do that until I know fully where I stand with her. We are still a couple on Facebook. She hasnt changed that and I'm not sure what to think about it until I talk to her again. I decided to wait a few days before contacting her again just to let things settle and before tempers rage and destroy everything.

My thinking right now is, Ive invested a lot in this relationship, I love her, and Im in no rush to find someone else. Im going to be coming home around thanksgiving so finding a girl down there for 3 months isnt worth it to me. After talking with my sister last night, I'm gonna let this whole thing play out. I drove almost 700 miles to go see her every few weeks. She meant that much to me. I dont regret doing it and I would do it again. Until I know where we stand as a couple, single, whatever, Im not gonna do anything to jeopardize a future with her

Im reluctant to do that until I know fully where I stand with her. We are still a couple on Facebook. She hasnt changed that and I'm not sure what to think about it until I talk to her again. I decided to wait a few days before contacting her again just to let things settle and before tempers rage and destroy everything.

My thinking right now is, Ive invested a lot in this relationship, I love her, and Im in no rush to find someone else. Im going to be coming home around thanksgiving so finding a girl down there for 3 months isnt worth it to me. After talking with my sister last night, I'm gonna let this whole thing play out. I drove almost 700 miles to go see her every few weeks. She meant that much to me. I dont regret doing it and I would do it again. Until I know where we stand as a couple, single, whatever, Im not gonna do anything to jeopardize a future with her

Sorry my friend, but she already has another man or at least has one in mind. Time for you to bang a few hoes, even if you do get back together with her, in 10 years you'll wish you used this opportunity, especially after you find out she did.

Important question: how many times did she drive (or take the train, bus, etc) 700 miles to see you?

My guess is that Cynical is closest to being right. There's a fun, new guy on the scene and she's young and fickle and not looking for a permanent relationship anyway. "I have a boyfriend 700 miles away" isn't a lot of fun for a girl, and it's certainly an invitation for any guy to hit on her. As for your phone call, everyone says 'I still love you' when they are breaking up with someone so she may have just been trying to let you down easy.

Important question: how many times did she drive (or take the train, bus, etc) 700 miles to see you?

My guess is that Cynical is closest to being right. There's a fun, new guy on the scene and she's young and fickle and not looking for a permanent relationship anyway. "I have a boyfriend 700 miles away" isn't a lot of fun for a girl, and it's certainly an invitation for any guy to hit on her. As for your phone call, everyone says 'I still love you' when they are breaking up with someone so she may have just been trying to let you down easy.

You guys may be right. that was actually one of my first thoughts when she said all this. I dont want to assume to much right now because it really might not be the case. If there was another guy on the scene Im sure she wouldnt keep us a couple on FB. Shed want to let him know soon I would think. This happened over two days ago. Its not like she hasnt had time. I refuse to do it because this isnt my idea.

She made the trip a few times. She doesnt have a car which makes it difficult and she had a job this summer that required her to work nights weekend ect. If after i talk to her in a few days and see where we stand then I'll make a decision about whether to pursue something else and move on. Until then, a week to let things settle isnt going to mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I appreciate all the advice though guys

Just encourage her to be upfront with you when you speak and don't get angry no matter what she says (and don't put too much stock in Facebook updates -- if there is another guy it's new and he doesn't give a damn what her Facebook says). But for you it's better to know the ugly truth so you can start to move on.

And "move on" means dealing with the reality that it's over. That's different (and more important) than "start dating others". Nothing wrong with going solo for a few months.

had 2 long distance relationships. one worked out beautifully and one crashed and burned. thankfully, the good one happened after the bad. i see it as a stress test for a relationship which is a good thing cuz there will surely be more stressful times to weather as a couple. if the relationship can't withstand a few months of seperation, it wasn't very strong or likely destined to ever be very strong.

Please don't evaluate the strength of a relationship on a facebook relationship status. C'mon man: You're broken up.

To put it in a context that the pre-Facebook generation would relate to, just because she has your varsity jacket doesn't mean you're still steady.

Dude girls wanting space means they want to ride new pole and not feel guilty over it....she probably honestly doesn't want to hurt you and she has a comfort level with you so she wants to let you down easy and perhaps keep you hanging around in case she decides she made a mistake. Don't pay attention to Facebook status....it doesn't mean much other than a sentimental comfort blanket for you to be able to sleep at night as long as the status doesn't change regardless what is happening in the real relationship.

Honestly take a step back. Evaluate your life. What you like, what you want to do etc... plan for life without her and start moving on. If she realizes she loves you great she will be back. If not then you didn't actually lose anything.

Go out and enjoy life. You are in a great time of your life with minimal responsibility. Enjoy it now or regret it later

I'll be completely honest with you: the exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. We kept it going for a year afterwards, but it sounds like we had the same problem: moving on out after school, going to different cities and barely seeing each other.

It sucks. It completely sucks. But you tried, and if you loved her there was no way you were simply going to give up without doing that much.

Its over... were gonna see how we feel in november when im home but i doubt anything will happen

That seems to be for the best. Just remember, you don't need to regret everything you did for her just because you guys broke up. But it's important to move on. Don't sit around banking on something happening in November. Go out and bag some hoes, or just hang out with some of your friends and cheer on the Bills. It's important to live your life how YOU want, and not worry about what SHE will think.

Also remember, there will ALWAYS be another girl down the road that will make you feel as strongly as you did for her.

That seems to be for the best. Just remember, you don't need to regret everything you did for her just because you guys broke up. But it's important to move on. Don't sit around banking on something happening in November. Go out and bag some hoes, or just hang out with some of your friends and cheer on the Bills. It's important to live your life how YOU want, and not worry about what SHE will think.

Also remember, there will ALWAYS be another girl down the road that will make you feel as strongly as you did for her.

Thanks for the kinds words guys. Im lucky to have the support system I got. Brother, sister and mom and dad all called me within about 20 mins to see how i was doing and said something similar. Ill be ok. Well try to stay friends but I did alot for her, I have no regrets other than I wish she was willing to stick it out like I was willing to. Gonna go bang someone tomorrow if i can

Thanks for the kinds words guys. Im lucky to have the support system I got. Brother, sister and mom and dad all called me within about 20 mins to see how i was doing and said something similar. Ill be ok. Well try to stay friends but I did alot for her, I have no regrets other than I wish she was willing to stick it out like I was willing to. Gonna go bang someone tomorrow if i can

Pics please.

That's the spirit! Nothing will get you moving past all of this quicker than bringing the white rain of a thousand loads to vaginas near and far.

And in the spirit of Steel Panther...17 Girls in a Row (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhbj0jVMFs

Edited by BillsFanNC

Everyone says it during the break up but I don't recommend actually trying to 'stay friends' with a girl who ended it. All that does is prolong your recovery period. Just like with smoking, cold turkey is the only way to quit.

Everyone says it during the break up but I don't recommend actually trying to 'stay friends' with a girl who ended it. All that does is prolong your recovery period. Just like with smoking, cold turkey is the only way to quit.

You saying he should quit dating girls? :w00t:

Hey, no matter how difficult it gets, just always remember:

You're not MDP.

This is true. Normal platonic friendships are rarely derived from a scenario with intense feelings. "Staying friends" is a good deal for divorced parents with kids. Otherwise, no.

Kind of been following this thread. Sorry it did not work out. Listen man, I am a little older then you so there is a lesson to be learned here. When a girl inititiates the breakup they usually have another guy already in the fold to replace you. I have 3 friends that their wives all initiated the divorce proceedings & all 3 rtimes it came out at a later date that they were seeing someone else. For whatever reason girls do not want to be alone & will very rarely look for a breakup if they do not have another option.

I went above and beyond in this relationship. Im making 120 a week, it would cost me almost 100 dollars to drive there and back and I did it every three weeks. I facetimed her every night, sent her flowers, gifts, letters emails every day. In the end that wasnt enough for her. I have absolutely no regret and dont think I could have done anything more to show her i care and wanted to make this work. She gave up and didnt want it as bad as I did. That part hurts. The thought of someone else hurts. But for the first time in any relationship ive been a part of, I cant say I should have done more. I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Its nobodys fault. Just didnt work. In a few weeks, Ill be in Buffalo and prolly wont even call her

I went above and beyond in this relationship. Im making 120 a week, it would cost me almost 100 dollars to drive there and back and I did it every three weeks. I facetimed her every night, sent her flowers, gifts, letters emails every day. In the end that wasnt enough for her. I have absolutely no regret and dont think I could have done anything more to show her i care and wanted to make this work. She gave up and didnt want it as bad as I did. That part hurts. The thought of someone else hurts. But for the first time in any relationship ive been a part of, I cant say I should have done more. I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Its nobodys fault. Just didnt work. In a few weeks, Ill be in Buffalo and prolly wont even call her

As was mentioned, go cold turkey.

You don't want to find out who she's with now. It'll just piss you off, and make it harder to move on.

Oh, and next time, don't do all that extra stuff like flowers/gifts/etc..., unless that's just how you are. If you're doing it to impress her, or keep her around, just don't. If she needs that stuff to be interested in the relationship, all it's doing is buying you a little time till something comes along that's more interesting than flowers.

I facetimed her every night, sent her flowers, gifts, letters emails every day. In the end that wasnt enough for her.

Yikes.

It wasn't 'not enough' for her, it was too much. Waaay too much. Dude, you can't smother women, no matter what the stupid ass Hollywood movies tell you. They will run away every time (unless they are crazy needy and then you'll need to run away).

I'm sure Captain Hindsight won't make that mistake next time.

I think I make that in an hour now.

This is the first time in a long time I'm appreciating being older.

Healthy attitude. Seriously.

You don't want to find out who she's with now. It'll just piss you off, and make it harder to move on.

Unless it's a chick...

Yikes.

It wasn't 'not enough' for her, it was too much. Waaay too much. Dude, you can't smother women, no matter what the stupid ass Hollywood movies tell you. They will run away every time (unless they are crazy needy and then you'll need to run away).

I'm sure Captain Hindsight won't make that mistake next time.

Yup, you over compensated captain and she saw you as needy. Live and learn.

Intern...

Welcome to the life of college graduates. No one hires you anymore, they give you an internship

What is your degree in? Are you working in Buffalo? What are the chances you get a full time job at this outfit.

What is your degree in? Are you working in Buffalo? What are the chances you get a full time job at this outfit.

I have a degree in Environmental Policy and a Degree in Psychology. Im planning on going back to grad school. Im currently interning for NYS DEC as an educator/ researcher about marshes and eels specifically.

Ive been offered to come back, at the same salary of 10 grand... but honestly this isnt what I want to be doing so I doubt Ill take it

Im working near poughkeepsie

Edited by Captain Hindsight

I have a degree in Environmental Policy and a Degree in Psychology. Im planning on going back to grad school. Im currently interning for NYS DEC as an educator/ researcher about marshes and eels specifically.

Ive been offered to come back, at the same salary of 10 grand... but honestly this isnt what I want to be doing so I doubt Ill take it

Im working near poughkeepsie

Well there's your problem. Everybody knows there's no money in the eel business. You get into eels because you LOVE EELS.