Long distance relationship

I have a degree in Environmental Policy and a Degree in Psychology. Im planning on going back to grad school. Im currently interning for NYS DEC as an educator/ researcher about marshes and eels specifically.

So you get eels onto your couch and have them talk about their feelings?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a degree in Environmental Policy and a Degree in Psychology. Im planning on going back to grad school. Im currently interning for NYS DEC as an educator/ researcher about marshes and eels specifically.

Ive been offered to come back, at the same salary of 10 grand... but honestly this isnt what I want to be doing so I doubt Ill take it

Im working near poughkeepsie

You sure there are no jobs in the PacNW for this type of degree? Prob not your first place to live though. :lol:

I started dating my wife when we were both juniors in college (2000-2001). In 2002 she moved to NYC and I stayed in Buffalo to continue with grad school. In 2007 she moved to Milwaukee. During this time we maintained our relationship. In 2009 I moved to Milwaukee and in with her. Long distance relationships aren't for everyone, but if you love each other you end up figuring out the logistics.

She's a keeper

Wow just read this all, I had a 2 year relationship with a woman once in Korea, I ended up moving there and it didn't work out, so I feel for you. I have some advice. Dude, you have 2 useless degrees, go to Korea and teach English (2000$ a month or more, have to be careful about the jobs there but it can be good) and stop going to school. Or do what my friend in Korea did and move to NYC and start a rooftop garden business, stop being so freaking poor and experience the world a bit. Best to you and don't worry about losing one, there are billions of women in the world. Basic math says you have a chance to get your willy wet again.

BTW I also had a woman friend once who said that once a long distance relationship crossed a state line, she was doing who and whatever she wanted. I kind of like that in hindsight.

Edited by bowery4

Wow just read this all, I had a 2 year relationship with a woman once in Korea, I ended up moving there and it didn't work out, so I feel for you. I have some advice. Dude, you have 2 useless degrees, go to Korea and teach English (2000$ a month or more, have to be careful about the jobs there but it can be good) and stop going to school. Or do what my friend in Korea did and move to NYC and start a rooftop garden business, stop being so freaking poor and experience the world a bit. Best to you and don't worry about losing one, there are billions of women in the world. Basic math says you have a chance to get your willy wet again.

BTW I also had a woman friend once who said that once a long distance relationship crossed a state line, she was doing who and whatever she wanted. I kind of like that in hindsight.

Life must be a big party for my Connecticut friends who work in NYC.

I have thought about doing the teach english abroad. Ive herad more negative than positive with that program which makes me a little wary. Im looking to go out west again (I worked in Yosemite National Park a few years ago) also considering getting back into school. Lots of things in the air right now.

Honestly after taking a few days removed from her, I feel this is the right thing for us as indivuduals. We still love each other, that was made clear to me last night. But where we are in life right now (and especially her) It isnt going to work right now. I actually respect her for recognizing that and doing what she did to make herself happy. I think we will both be better people because of this. In a few years it might all be different, but for now, this is the right move for both of us

I have thought about doing the teach english abroad. Ive herad more negative than positive with that program which makes me a little wary. Im looking to go out west again (I worked in Yosemite National Park a few years ago) also considering getting back into school. Lots of things in the air right now.

Honestly after taking a few days removed from her, I feel this is the right thing for us as indivuduals. We still love each other, that was made clear to me last night. But where we are in life right now (and especially her) It isnt going to work right now. I actually respect her for recognizing that and doing what she did to make herself happy. I think we will both be better people because of this. In a few years it might all be different, but for now, this is the right move for both of us

Sounds like you have your head on straight. Follow your own advice and do what makes you happy

Still sucks tho

(We will return to DC Tom's typical internet asshattery after this brief public service announcement.)

That which begins, eventually ends. The real trick to life isn't fighting the endings, but realizing they're natural and accepting them with dignity and respect for yourself and others.

(We now continue with our regular programming...)

That would suck if you lived in Rhode Island or by any state line.

What about crossing international borders. A Canada-US relationship seems very doable for anyone living in Buffalo.

were talking again....

I hate to chime in on these - as we don't know jack about your relationship, despite everyone in this thread claiming otherwise but on a global level....

You're young, have fun. Be happy. If that's with her - go for it. If it's not (and this back and forth doesn't sound like it) then go find something that will keep you happy.

The last thing you want to do is look back and think "wow- wasted that year."

After you got the new car?

Haha ya.

She called me. Wanted to see how I was doing and wants us to be able to talk and be friends. Since im still all smitten by this gal, im gonna play along for now, but i was pretty stand offish last night. I decided tho that if it starts to hurt and i find out things I dont like, im gonna cut bait. I dont deserve that

Haha ya.

She called me. Wanted to see how I was doing and wants us to be able to talk and be friends. Since im still all smitten by this gal, im gonna play along for now, but i was pretty stand offish last night. I decided tho that if it starts to hurt and i find out things I dont like, im gonna cut bait. I dont deserve that

Oh man friends :rolleyes: This is getting too close to home. Do not, repeat do not bite. insist on man/woman relationship..

Haha ya.

Tell her you can be BF-GF, friends...with benefits, or nothing. That is, unless you're okay with being "just friends," which I've found to be impossible when one of the two still has a torch for the other.

(We will return to DC Tom's typical internet asshattery after this brief public service announcement.)

That which begins, eventually ends. The real trick to life isn't fighting the endings, but realizing they're natural and accepting them with dignity and respect for yourself and others.

(We now continue with our regular programming...)

There is hope for you yet DC!

Haha ya.

2-1 odds the other guy she was eyeballing rejected her. Sounds to me like she can't/doesn't want to be alone. But of course thats only based on my experience, not your relationship.

2-1 odds the other guy she was eyeballing rejected her. Sounds to me like she can't/doesn't want to be alone. But of course thats only based on my experience, not your relationship.

Or was seen flirting elsewhere over the weekend

Haha ya.

If it starts to hurt you or you find things you don't like..... You mean like when she broke up with you?

The one foot out, one foot in game that she's playing is the one route I'd very confidently tell you to not pursue, regardless of the fact that we know very little here. It does not work. If you genuinely want to be friends you need space now. If you want to be together, you can't be just friend.

Edited by NoSaint

Still only wants to be friends? Seems like she wants to string you along.

That's ok as long as you have the knife to cut that string when the time comes. It will come, bet on it.

I'm a little worried about that. I mean its only been a week I'm willing to let this run its course for a bit. I really truely believe this isnt forever.

I may not have mentioned this in the thread but im her first boyfriend. She has a lot of stuff she needs to work out. We are just at two totally different points in our lives right now. Love isnt the problem between us. Talking to her last night and her roommate earlier in the week have confirmed that.

I have no one else I want to be with right now, if taking a break from "us" is what lets me have her in a year for the next 50 years, I'm willing to do that. I know that makes me sound lame and like im letting her have the power but when you know, you know.

Its not like im waiting around either. I was cruising on a boat on Canadaigua Lake last night drinking beers with a few buddies and some girls we met.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

I have seen this with my own son. Falls hard and takes long time to find the next one. Let her go. If you are her first boyfriend she will want to find out what some other dude has to offer. If not now, down the road it will only make it harder to let go.

Should have done one of the girls in the boat

I have seen this with my own son. Falls hard and takes long time to find the next one. Let her go. If you are her first boyfriend she will want to find out what some other dude has to offer. If not now, down the road it will only make it harder to let go.

Should have done one of the girls in the boat

I tried haha

I tried haha

Ahhh so you're both going half way, until one of you finds an opportunity and ends up hurting the other one.

I'll maintain- there's almost no good end to the "just talking" after a long term relationship just busted up.

I won't say whether you should chase the relationship or head for the hills, but this one certainly has the biggest potential for disaster.

She heard you have a new car, that's why she called.

Talking to her last night and her roommate earlier in the week have confirmed that.

Wait, what?! You're talking with the roomate also? Why?

(and if she really wants to keep you around, suggest a threesome with the roomate)