Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a biker- I am sick of dogs chasing after me. There is one house where the dog comes charging out of the yard and up the road after me all the time. I have called Animal Control and the Police many times. If you can't control your dog you shouldn't be a dog owner

To be fair, that is a drug sniffing dog.. :P

As a biker- I am sick of dogs chasing after me. There is one house where the dog comes charging out of the yard and up the road after me all the time. I have called Animal Control and the Police many times. If you can't control your dog you shouldn't be a dog owner

bull ****. I've lived in three different places in New Jersey, and I've never been attacked by a dog.

Telephone poles, yes...not dogs...

My gripe isn't so much with them on the country roads seeing if they do something stupid it's usually them that gets the worst of it not me. No place for them to really ride other than out in the country and those roads typically don't have shoulders so there is not place for them ot ride. .

I ride in the country to train for tri's..while the majority of people are nice and we get along on the road just fine...their are some sick mofo's out there. Can not tell you the number of times people either just lay on their horn, or ride right up on your ass..or pass just as close as they can to make it uncomfortable on the bike. Been called a lot of things as these tough guys pass by(they never stop btw), and have also had all kinds of chit trown at me from windows..now this is over a period of years..

I always ride alone, always as close to the edge of the road as is safe, and always 100% obey all traffic laws...and yes i mean 100%.

I ride in the country to train for tri's..while the majority of people are nice and we get along on the road just fine...their are some sick mofo's out there. Can not tell you the number of times people either just lay on their horn, or ride right up on your ass..or pass just as close as they can to make it uncomfortable on the bike. Been called a lot of things as these tough guys pass by(they never stop btw), and have also had all kinds of chit trown at me from windows..now this is over a period of years..

I always ride alone, always as close to the edge of the road as is safe, and always 100% obey all traffic laws...and yes i mean 100%.

And having also been in this situation, I can say if you think its harmless to come up on a guy on a bike and slam on your horn behind him from 10 feet away, or pass him at 30 MPH faster than hes going 6 inches from his leg its not. It starles the **** out of you and can definitely lead to an accident.

And if you think its funny when a rider goes down.....do broken hips, comound leg fractures, broken backs and death seem funny? Becuase those of the types of injuries that are common with serious road cycling wrecks. A guy in a local club here was killed recently upstate. A friend of mine knows a triathlete that got so screwed up from hitting a car that stopped short in front of her, she will never be the same, physically. And I know THREE riders who got hit by cars and then dragged for blocks by drivers who didnt realize what was going on.

I really dont want to get all preachy and lecture people here, but the snarky "Ill just hit him, screw him I have a car" type stuff needs to be looked at properly.

bull ****. I've lived in three different places in New Jersey, and I've never been attacked by a dog.

Telephone poles, yes...not dogs...

Lemme guess....

Newark

Jersey City

Camden

Edited by RkFast

And having also been in this situation, I can say if you think its harmless to come up on a guy on a bike and slam on your horn behind him from 10 feet away, or pass him at 30 MPH faster than hes going 6 inches from his leg its not. It starles the **** out of you and can definitely lead to an accident.

I would think that that's kind of the point. Why the hell else would you do that?

I really dont want to get all preachy and lecture people here, but the snarky "Ill just hit him, screw him I have a car" type stuff needs to be looked at properly.

I would never seriously say that...but I'm not going too far out of my way to avoid the suicidal douchebags, either. If I have a choice between hitting the cyclist running the red light or swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid him, cyclist loses every time.

Here is another article on it. Link

The crash occurred midmorning on an open stretch of Highway 50 in Clay County. Motorist Robbie Norton of Cedar Bluff ran into cyclist Jan Morgan of Starkville as Morgan pedaled with a friend along the right side of the road.

After stopping and briefly exiting her vehicle, Norton then got back in and ran over Morgan a second time in an apparent effort to pull her vehicle to the side of the road.

Same here in Portland.

The crazy ones are the people who ride their bike up in the west hills here. And there are a ton of people who do this. All of the roads are narrow, windy, steep roads with no shoulders on them. Not to mention the steep cliffs they could fall down if they happened to fall of the road. :wallbash:

I was in Portland last week via Florida. Totally different driving experience. Absolutely beautiful views. Flew into Portland then drove to Astoria, then to Longview Wash and then on to Coos Bay.

And if you think its funny when a rider goes down.....do broken hips, comound leg fractures, broken backs and death seem funny? Becuase those of the types of injuries that are common with serious road cycling wrecks. A guy in a local club here was killed recently upstate. A friend of mine knows a triathlete that got so screwed up from hitting a car that stopped short in front of her, she will never be the same, physically. And I know THREE riders who got hit by cars and then dragged for blocks by drivers who didnt realize what was going on.

As a person who's been hit by a car while riding my bike, the car was trying to make a quick left and beat a light, I can attest to all of this. I won't get all preachy either, because I do obey the rules of the road, but I lived in LA for years and drivers there just do not give a chit about bikers. An old roommate of mine got side swiped by a car, he was in the bike lane, and the guy didn't even stop. I've also been yelled at, things thrown at... all while obeying the rules of the road.

This is an ignorant question on my part, but is it illegal for a car to go into the bike lane?

I know I've done this several (OK, many.....Uh, all the time) to get around a slow car or car that is turning left.

As a person who's been hit by a car while riding my bike, the car was trying to make a quick left and beat a light, I can attest to all of this. I won't get all preachy either, because I do obey the rules of the road, but I lived in LA for years and drivers there just do not give a chit about bikers. An old roommate of mine got side swiped by a car, he was in the bike lane, and the guy didn't even stop. I've also been yelled at, things thrown at... all while obeying the rules of the road.

Curious...were you riding with traffic when that happened?

I was hit by a turning vehicle once. That's when I learned that, despite what some people say about riding against traffic being better "because you can see oncoming traffic", it's a good way to get hit. Turning drivers (either making a left, or exiting a driveway onto the street) look towards the traffic. If you're not cycling with the traffic, they never see you.

What I don't think people realize is that there are always going to be jerks. Whether behind the wheel, the tricycle or the shoe.

I was hit by a turning vehicle once. That's when I learned that, despite what some people say about riding against traffic being better "because you can see oncoming traffic", it's a good way to get hit. Turning drivers (either making a left, or exiting a driveway onto the street) look towards the traffic. If you're not cycling with the traffic, they never see you.

Yup, I was riding with traffic. The lady, in ever-so-hip toyota prius, was making a left, and I was heading straight on. For some reason or another she didn't see me, probably because she was on her phone, until it was too late. She hit me with the front passenger side of her car. Lucky nothing was broken on my body but I made the mistake of just letting her go without getting any info. My back was messed up for a week or so.

I 100% agree that roughly 80% of bikers have no business being on their bikes.

I've been doing a lot of walking/jogging in the last few years as a means to increase exercise. As a pedestrian I actually find cars to be a lot more friendly towards me than bikers. Walking down a pretty steep hill on a sidewalk around Sammamish, it is commonplace for bikers to whizz from behind me at 30-40mph and barely give me clearance. I can't hear them as they don't have a motor combined with the fact that the multiple lanes of cars are making noise. It scares the crap out of me and I feel like it's only a matter of time before I get hit by one of them.

As a driver they just plain piss me off. This area provides bikers huge bike lanes and they still camp on the left hand side of them, barely giving me clearance to pass. Yes, I get it, you want to announce to the world that you're "green", cooler than everyone else in your spandex, and you want us uncool, normal people that drive, walk, or take the bus to yield to you at all times. Give me a break.

Tom,

I have been hit in this same exact scenario..RT 6 in Goochland County VA...risidng with traffic(100% of the time)dude was just trying to beat the light and never saw me coming from the other way. 100% accident on his part..luckily it was a cold day and I had on lots of gear, as I slammed both front and back brakes and slid under his grill. Whole left side of my body had brush burns from shoulder to knee, but walked away from it.

Funny as I was not pissed at this guy..it was a pure accident and not done on purpose. Guys who mess with you on the road..those are the idiots i hate..just like I hate the bike nazis who ride in 20 person packs and think they own the road.

I 100% agree that roughly 80% of bikers have no business being on their bikes.

I've been doing a lot of walking/jogging in the last few years as a means to increase exercise. As a pedestrian I actually find cars to be a lot more friendly towards me than bikers. Walking down a pretty steep hill on a sidewalk around Sammamish, it is commonplace for bikers to whizz from behind me at 30-40mph and barely give me clearance. I can't hear them as they don't have a motor combined with the fact that the multiple lanes of cars are making noise. It scares the crap out of me and I feel like it's only a matter of time before I get hit by one of them.

As a driver they just plain piss me off. This area provides bikers huge bike lanes and they still camp on the left hand side of them, barely giving me clearance to pass. Yes, I get it, you want to announce to the world that you're "green", cooler than everyone else in your spandex, and you want us uncool, normal people that drive, walk, or take the bus to yield to you at all times. Give me a break.

Then you see a person on a bike going against the grain of traffic! No doubt and God forbid a driver ever clipped one... The burden would be on the driver.

I was wondering about that... I see a lot of bikers riding against traffic. Hike against traffic, NOT bike!

Well I live in SF now and bikers here don't give a **** about pedestrians and car drivers. They "rule" the road here. Bike ridership has increased 70% in the short three years I've been here. And it's not that car drivers don't give a **** about bikers in LA it's because LA was designed around the automobile.

Yup, I was riding with traffic. The lady, in ever-so-hip toyota prius, was making a left, and I was heading straight on. For some reason or another she didn't see me, probably because she was on her phone, until it was too late. She hit me with the front passenger side of her car. Lucky nothing was broken on my body but I made the mistake of just letting her go without getting any info. My back was messed up for a week or so.

She's turning left and hit you with the front passenger side of the car. Does that mean she turned in front of you last second, you had no time to stop and ran into her?

She's turning left and hit you with the front passenger side of the car. Does that mean she turned in front of you last second, you had no time to stop and ran into her?

What he explained is the number one cause of motorcyles getting hit by a car too! That is, they are in the opposite lane of traffic going the other way when the car turns right in front of them. The driver will claim "they just didn't see the bike." Not siding with the car, but motorcycles and bikes seem to come out of nowhere... I find it plausible that the car doesn't see them. I never got the whole "start seeing motorcycles" campaign. How can you start seeing something that you can't see or process fast?

What he explained is the number one cause of motorcyles getting hit by a car too! That is, they are in the opposite lane of traffic going the other way when the car turns right in front of them. The driver will claim "they just didn't see the bike." Not siding with the car, but motorcycles and bikes seem to come out of nowhere... I find it plausible that the car doesn't see them. I never got the whole "start seeing motorcycles" campaign. How can you start seeing something that you can't see or process fast?

Try driving in the morning before sunrise or after sunset when the person on the bike is wearing the color of choice here in the Bay Area......black.

Woman struck and killed last night on rural country road while cycling. http://m.the-dispatch.com/article/20120229/news/302299991/1005/cyclist_dies_after_accident_on_ridge_road

Doesn't sound like an automobile was involved. Article says she was riding with a group of cyclists when she fell and law enforcement is not involved either.

Doesn't sound like an automobile was involved. Article says she was riding with a group of cyclists when she fell and law enforcement is not involved either.

I had seen headline up last night. Figured nada changed. Either way, bike on bike is a serious crime.

I had seen headline up last night. Figured nada changed. Either way, bike on bike is a serious crime.

Now that I think about it, if this woman's crash involved another biker why aren't there legal issues here? She's dead, seems like potential for reckless op, manslaughter, and more. Same rights/responsibilities as a motorist?

Try driving in the morning before sunrise or after sunset when the person on the bike is wearing the color of choice here in the Bay Area......black.

:lol:

Sure "death on the highway!"

The dynamics of the peloton can get ugly!

Too many drivers out there distracted with their Ipod, coffee, cell phone, kids, etc instead of paying attention to driving and traffic which is what they should be. They're careless and wreckless in their driving habits. That's why it is "start seeing mc's".

One of the things I've found in my years of riding and going thru an intersection is to keep somewhat close to the car in front of you. Too big a gap and the car making a left across your lane may decide to cut in front of you. Yeah you have to pay attention to everything

As a long-time motorcyclist I can attest to the truth of this.

The speed/size ratio of motorcycles is something that most car drivers' brains simply cannot process fast enough to react appropriately. My MC philosophy, which has enabled me to survive 25+ years of motorcycling in California, mostly in L.A., goes well beyond this however. I don't merely assume car drivers don't see me. I drive as if they do see me... and are actively trying to kill me. The second some cager asswipe starts doing anything goofy, I don't stick around to see what kind of festive cluster-!@#$ is going to ensue. I just go immediately to warp drive and put at least a couple of miles between us. (But I also do try my best to minimize lane-splitting, lane-sharing, and other behaviors that enhance the likelihood of a bad situation.)

Too many drivers out there distracted with their Ipod, coffee, cell phone, kids, etc instead of paying attention to driving and traffic which is what they should be. They're careless and wreckless in their driving habits. That's why it is "start seeing mc's".

One of the things I've found in my years of riding and going thru an intersection is to keep somewhat close to the car in front of you. Too big a gap and the car making a left across your lane may decide to cut in front of you. Yeah you have to pay attention to everything

I don't think it is distractions as much... True, that is part of the problem from time to time. Bikes and cars just don't mix. More car drivers just misjudge, not knowing the severity of their action/choice. Poor judgement. Then on top of it, you got bikes doing things you least expect. It is a clash. The person in the protective "cocoon" is going to be better off in the end.

On another note... Sometimes loud pipes don't even help the way they are building the better cars now. One is so desensitized to what is even happening out there. It is like car builders want to put you to sleep!

The speed/size ratio of motorcycles is something that most car drivers' brains simply cannot process fast enough to react appropriately. My MC philosophy, which has enabled me to survive 25+ years of motorcycling in California, mostly in L.A., goes well beyond this however. I don't merely assume car drivers don't see me. I drive as if they do see me... and are actively trying to kill me. The second some cager asswipe starts doing anything goofy, I don't stick around to see what kind of festive cluster-!@#$ is going to ensue. I just go immediately to warp drive and put at least a couple of miles between us. (But I also do try my best to minimize lane-splitting, lane-sharing, and other behaviors that enhance the likelihood of a bad situation.)

BINGO!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm amazed that you are still alive. In a car I am terrified of SoCal drivers let alone on a bike.

Which is the way to do it but most motorcyclist don't. The way they weave in and out of traffic on the freeway is insane. Those mother!@#$ers are whacked.

I'm amazed that you are still alive. In a car I am terrified of SoCal drivers let alone on a bike.

Wussy. devil.gif

I do everything by that philosophy. I don't even think I brush my teeth without assuming someone's trying to kill me.

Motorcycles (other people on them, that is) scare me for that reason - speed/distance judgement is usually off - as well as around these parts there's just too many idiots on Japanese crotch rockets actively trying to kill themselves without anyone's help.

And every person I've ever known who's regularly rode a motorcycle has ended up with an extended hospital stay (and in one case, a segment on "Rescue 911".)

And I still want a vintage '40s BMW with a sidecar.

I do everything by that philosophy. I don't even think I brush my teeth without assuming someone's trying to kill me.

Motorcycles (other people on them, that is) scare me for that reason - speed/distance judgement is usually off - as well as around these parts there's just too many idiots on Japanese crotch rockets actively trying to kill themselves without anyone's help.

And every person I've ever known who's regularly rode a motorcycle has ended up with an extended hospital stay (and in one case, a segment on "Rescue 911".)

And I still want a vintage '40s BMW with a sidecar.

Why do you think I had kids? They're my official toothpaste tasters! :devil:

Don't know too much about current D.C. traffic conditions, but riding in a sidecar in L.A. would definitely be suicide.

I am a strict Neo-Darwinist, so the squids on ricers issue really doesn't bother me too much. It's a self-correcting problem. (Although the paperwork would be a drag, if I squished one with my car.)

The best thing to do when driving a car, and approached by a MC traveling at a high speed (or any speed, really) is to do nothing. Like I always tell my (nerdy) passengers riding pillion: "When I'm driving a motorcycle I'm desperately solving a dynamical system of partial differential equations in my head. Every time you lean, wiggle or even breathe hard, you change a bunch of the coefficients in an unpredictable way. And for the record, I'm not that great at PDE's to begin with -- so KNOCK IT OFF!!"

I'm amazed that I'm still alive too, but motorcycling is only about #10 on the list of reasons. :blush:

Which is the way to do it but most motorcyclist don't. The way they weave in and out of traffic on the freeway is insane. Those mother!@#$ers are whacked.

Some of it is age + having a family. My riding style has calmed down a lot compared to my 20's. And, umm, 30's.

• 1 month later...