Stevie Johnson Contract SIGNED

iommi

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is really exciting news....lets keep our fingers crossed that its not just posturing...nix did say they would be talking but didn't expect a deal to get done yesterday...sounds like it may be very close!!! :thumbsup:

Looks like Stevie might be staying afterall. From rotoworld:

After meeting with Bills brass Friday, the player rep for free agent Stevie Johnson said he emerged "very optimistic" about Johnson signing a long-term deal to stay in Buffalo.

By most accounts, Johnson's contract demands are within reason and under $9 million annually. "We had a very productive meeting," said Johnson's agent, C.J. LaBoy. "I'm very optimistic. I'm looking forward to continue talking."

Edited by The Poojer

I haven't seen any discussion yet about the possibility of using the 'transition tag' on SJ. Is there any reason this couldn't be used on him? It guarantees him the average of the top 10 salaries at his position (rather than 5 using the franchise tag), and while it allows SJ to negotiate with other teams, the Bills have the right to match any offer. Given that the Bills are so far under the cap, I don't see how another team could 'poison pill' the contract. Seems like a good solution to me.

if this deal does NOT get done...look at our WR's...yikesss, we need to find a way to bridge that 2 mil. gap, make some of it incentive based but this has got to get done, and also find more WR help, we cannot sit and be content at this position...obvious I know

Obvious but 100% correct...The Bills need to retain Stevie AND add a stud at WR either through Free Agency or The Draft...

Projecting a bit...But it's possible The Bills could have Stevie, a Draft Pick/UFA, Nelson, a healthy Easley (I know...fingers crossed and all), Jones, Hagen (who I thought looked REAL good at times and comes cheap), and Aiken in 2012...That's not bad...

But losing Stevie would be a massive blow...The Bills can't afford to keep losing talent and plugging holes...It simply does not work... B-)

I haven't seen any discussion yet about the possibility of using the 'transition tag' on SJ. Is there any reason this couldn't be used on him? It guarantees him the average of the top 10 salaries at his position (rather than 5 using the franchise tag), and while it allows SJ to negotiate with other teams, the Bills have the right to match any offer. Given that the Bills are so far under the cap, I don't see how another team could 'poison pill' the contract. Seems like a good solution to me.

I'm fairly certain that the "transition tag" is not part of the current CBA.

I've stated in the past that I think that Stevie would be gone. Why not test the waters if you're that close to free agency and the Bills did nothing to try and sign you during the year. If he does indeed stay, it would be a surprise. Based on the Bill's track reecord, it would be an about face from past years. I hope the Bills do surprise me and get the deal done but I'll believe it when the contract is signed.

Edited by first_and_ten

I've stated in the past that I think that Stevie would be gone. Why not test the waters if you're that close to free agency and the Bills did nothing to try and sign you during the year. If he does indeed stay, it would be a surprise. Based on the Bill's track reecord, it would be an about face from past years. I hope the Bills do surprise me and get the deal done but I'll believe it when the contract is signed.

You really need to check your facts. The Bills were trying to resign Stevie during the season around the time they were trying to sign Fitz. It was Stevie who broke off contract negiotions not the Bills.

In terms why not test free agency? I believe Stevie is worth more to the Bills than anyone else. The FA WR is deep this year which will lower the price for everyone. Players don't like the uncertainty. If he gets a fair deal with the Bills i believe he will sign.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I just heard Charlie Casserly on wgr. A few things that he said that works for us or against us however you look at it. Just some good insight out of a former GM who is very insightful.

-Stevie would fo better here than any other team in his opinion.

-Stevie is more of a #2 than a #1.

-Stevie is worth between the $4-8million range (IMO that's a huge difference but I suppose it's who thinks he is worth it, it's all about need)

-Stevie is not worth the franchise tag.

-Stevie is hurt if teams think he is immature and won't get better.

-Stevie is obviously wanted by Buffalo or they wouldn't have talks at this point but how much he is worth to Buffalo is the question.

-Bowe, Colston, Welker are not true #1s either and not worth the $8+million mark.

-Jackson is the best FA WR available and is the only one worth the high price tag of a true #1 by most teams.

-Nix has a history with Jackson and should know him best if Jackson has become more mature and if he is less likely to lash out, hold out, or have any off the field issues.

Just what I heard and the way I understood it. It's good to hear another GM/Former GM thinks Stevie isn't worth more than $8million. Maybe after all we will retain him even after FA has begun and he is humbled by his offers. It's also refreshing to hear from someone in the know that Nix is rhe best candidate to know Jackson and that may help regardless if we do or don't resign Stevie. It's also nice to hear that he thinks Stevie would do beat here under our system than anywhere else.

Enjoy.

Apparently no one has read my previous post

Don't pimp yourself out.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I just heard Charlie Casserly on wgr. A few things that he said that works for us or against us however you look at it. Just some good insight out of a former GM who is very insightful.

-Stevie is worth between the $4-8million range (IMO that's a huge difference but I suppose it's who thinks he is worth it, it's all about need)

These two don't make any sense. If he's worth a salary of $8M using his high end then he's absolutely worth the $9.4M franchise amount when you factor in a signing bonus (were he signed to an extension). That amount would be more than $9.4M.

You really need to check your facts. The Bills were trying to resign Stevie during the season around the time they were trying to sign Fitz. It was Stevie who broke off contract negiotions not the Bills.

In terms why not test free agency? I believe Stevie is worth more to the Bills than anyone else. The FA WR is deep this year which will lower the price for everyone. Players don't like the uncertainty. If he gets a fair deal with the Bills i believe he will sign.

I think you are correct.

Hope your right :)

Don't pimp yourself out.

These two don't make any sense. If he's worth a salary of $8M using his high end then he's absolutely worth the $9.4M franchise amount when you factor in a signing bonus (were he signed to an extension). That amount would be more than $9.4M.

Not commenting on your opinions of differences, I'm simply saying what Casserly stated on WGR. Said he was in between the 4-8 million range but does not think he is deserving of the franchise tag. Take it how you want. It's his words not mine.

Casserly really needs to get In touch with reality with current WR salaries. He's delusional if he thinks none of those guys are getting 8 million. And, the top WRs make in the 12-14 million per season range.

Also, based on his criteria, there's 2 or 3 #1 WRs in the entire league. :wallbash:

-Stevie would fo better here than any other team in his opinion.

-Stevie is more of a #2 than a #1.

-Stevie is hurt if teams think he is immature and won't get better.

-Stevie is obviously wanted by Buffalo or they wouldn't have talks at this point but how much he is worth to Buffalo is the question.

-Bowe, Colston, Welker are not true #1s either and not worth the $8+million mark.

-Jackson is the best FA WR available and is the only one worth the high price tag of a true #1 by most teams.

-Nix has a history with Jackson and should know him best if Jackson has become more mature and if he is less likely to lash out, hold out, or have any off the field issues.

Just what I heard and the way I understood it. It's good to hear another GM/Former GM thinks Stevie isn't worth more than $8million. Maybe after all we will retain him even after FA has begun and he is humbled by his offers. It's also refreshing to hear from someone in the know that Nix is rhe best candidate to know Jackson and that may help regardless if we do or don't resign Stevie. It's also nice to hear that he thinks Stevie would do beat here under our system than anywhere else.

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting this, good info. The way this negotiation has dragged out I wasn't all too optimistic for Stevie staying but certainly there's room for optimism now and I've got my fingers crossed. It'd be great to see our primary receiver back in the fold for next year.

Not commenting on your opinions of differences, I'm simply saying what Casserly stated on WGR. Said he was in between the 4-8 million range but does not think he is deserving of the franchise tag. Take it how you want. It's his words not mine.

Yeah, understood, those 2 points just don't make sense to me.

I checked, and you're right. But it appears he broke off talks because the Bills were trying to low ball him. So he broke off talks technically but I am quite sure he would have listened if the Bills had made a good offer.It was a negotiating ploy in my opinion. That said, I hope they do sign him now and prove me wrong.