Stevie Johnson Contract SIGNED

iommi

Oh God, Lee Evans has derailed yet another thread.

How about we keep this thread to updates about SJ's contract situation? Too much to ask? Thought so.

where else can we point out the hipocracy of so many posters here? I think talk about our previous number 1 is relevant in more than a few ways to our current default number 1

Two questions

1) Who couldn't wait to get rid of him? I remember that trade being met largely with disdain around the fan base.

2) Why are you talking like a guy drafted in 2004 and a guy drafted in 2008 should have similar career numbers?

its called extrapolation, i know, its a math and logic thing:(

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where else can we point out the hipocracy of so many posters here? I think talk about our previous number 1 is relevant in more than a few ways to our current default number 1

its called extrapolation, i know, its a math and logic thing:(

So since you used logic you took the average of the past 2 years of Stevie's career rather than all 4 and multiplied by 2 right? Since he was buried on the depth chart by the previous coaching regime during his first two years and that's not going to happen again. That would work out to 486 catches over 8 years which is a little over 100 more than Evans catch total over 8 years. Even if Stevie missed what amounted to a whole season due to injury he'd still be more productive over the same time period.

The thread is about re-signing Stevie Johnson. We should sign him because he's been very productive since he was inserted into the lineup. Not sure what Lee Evans numbers has to do with it either way honestly.

So since you used logic you took the average of the past 2 years of Stevie's career rather than all 4 and multiplied by 2 right? Since he was buried on the depth chart by the previous coaching regime during his first two years and that's not going to happen again. That would work out to 486 catches over 8 years which is a little over 100 more than Evans catch total over 8 years. Even if Stevie missed what amounted to a whole season due to injury he'd still be more productive over the same time period.

The thread is about re-signing Stevie Johnson. We should sign him because he's been very productive since he was inserted into the lineup. Not sure what Lee Evans numbers has to do with it either way honestly.

talking about evans is a way to compare stevies new potential deal and role here....

Evans broke through the depth chart his rookie year when no one even expected anything of him, so dont blame coaching staffs. Also I agree stevies good, im simply pointing out that if 2 years of production is the basis for over paying him, and claiming hes so good, why did we get rid of evans who had three good years or so followed by 4 years of being "buried" by bad qb'ing? Its like no one blames trent edwards at all for lees' lack of production and now since he got injured, people think they are even more right. I respect what youve said and am mostly pointing out that in two years will be calling for stevie to be traded because, "he makes 8 million a year and cant get open deep"

Side note- stevie hardly ever gets open deep, he has great RAC skills though. But I think he has maybe 3 bonified deep balls that he caught past 30 yards in the air and turned into a td. Pittsburg was a playaction/dropped coverage. He also has shown his dropsies on deep balls. While Evans dropped maybe 1 deep ball his whole career here, he caught around 20 or so over 30 yards in the air. Just my estimation but im sure im close.

talking about evans is a way to compare stevies new potential deal and role here....

Evans broke through the depth chart his rookie year when no one even expected anything of him, so dont blame coaching staffs. Also I agree stevies good, im simply pointing out that if 2 years of production is the basis for over paying him, and claiming hes so good, why did we get rid of evans who had three good years or so followed by 4 years of being "buried" by bad qb'ing? Its like no one blames trent edwards at all for lees' lack of production and now since he got injured, people think they are even more right. I respect what youve said and am mostly pointing out that in two years will be calling for stevie to be traded because, "he makes 8 million a year and cant get open deep"

Side note- stevie hardly ever gets open deep, he has great RAC skills though. But I think he has maybe 3 bonified deep balls that he caught past 30 yards in the air and turned into a td. Pittsburg was a playaction/dropped coverage. He also has shown his dropsies on deep balls. While Evans dropped maybe 1 deep ball his whole career here, he caught around 20 or so over 30 yards in the air. Just my estimation but im sure im close.

Lee Evans was a #13 pick overall. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere. In 8 years, he has had exactly as many 1000 yard seasons as seventh round pick Stevie did in his four. I loved Lee, but he was never quite as good as it seemed he should have been.

Yeah the #13 overall pick usually has no expectations, I mean its a surprise he even made the regular season roster

:rolleyes:

BTW the average STARTING WR plays 6 seasons. So 2 productive season is about 1/3 of a career.

4 seasons on the roster is more than enough time if to know if the player is worth FAIR MARKET VALUE of 8 MIL a season.

8 Mil a year is only overpaying to cheap Bills fans.

Bills fans are Cheap!

What??!! Evans was the 13th overall pick, genius.

Stevie is a bonified #1. He gets open, period. The Bills had nothing to complement him this past season and he still went for over 1000 yards. He more than held his own against Revis. He's a #1, and what people do or don't think about Lee Evans has nothing to do with it. Nothing.

First of all, everyone stop arguing with loserlover. He is making as much sense in this thread as he normally does.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, and ON TOPIC, I've had a few friends point out how quiet Stevie has been today on the social networking. Not one tweet or FB post, or even response to someone else's tweets, which is strange for him. Maybe he is busy getting down to business?!?

First of all, everyone stop arguing with loserlover. He is making as much sense in this thread as he normally does.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, and ON TOPIC, I've had a few friends point out how quiet Stevie has been today on the social networking. Not one tweet or FB post, or even response to someone else's tweets, which is strange for him. Maybe he is busy getting down to business?!?

His agent told him "tweeting at the Lord = you stay in Buffalo, silence = payday"

Yeah the #13 overall pick usually has no expectations, I mean its a surprise he even made the regular season roster

:rolleyes:

BTW the average STARTING WR plays 6 seasons. So 2 productive season is about 1/3 of a career.

4 seasons on the roster is more than enough time if to know if the player is worth FAIR MARKET VALUE of 8 MIL a season.

8 Mil a year is only overpaying to cheap Bills fans.

Bills fans are Cheap!

ok lets pay him the average then= 3 mil! you cant quote the average and then use it to say stevies good and that he should be paid top dollar. Good receivers play about 10 years,(on average)And I love how people make a lame point, I counter it, then people take my counter point and act like it was my original point. Every time I talk about this I hear the two same lame statement

1. "ask revis about Stevie"

2. "only Bills reciever to have 2 concecutive 1000 yard seasons"

WOW ok I get it guys, I got it when I saw them both happening live. But under that logic every other bills receiver wasnt as good as stevie, not Reed, not Moulds, not Evans-becuase they only had 900+ yards per season after their many thousand-yard seasons. And no reciever has ever beat Revis so much for 7 yard slants. So Calvin Johnson isnt as good, the giant receivers must suck, only stevie is good.

Wait I do remember lee out jumping Revis for a big game winning TD once. But we won the game because of it so I guess thats not as good as 7 catches for 90 something yards in a loss though. Stevie is much better at dropping game winners but still expects for Lee evans type money afterwards.

Edited by loserlovers

ok lets pay him the average then= 3 mil! you cant quote the average and then use it to say stevies good and that he should be paid top dollar. Good receivers play about 10 years,(on average)And I love how people make a lame point, I counter it, then people take my counter point and act like it was my original point. Every time I talk about this I hear the two same lame statement

WOW ok I get it guys, I got it when I saw them both happening live. But under that logic every other bills receiver wasnt as good as stevie, not Reed, not Moulds, not Evans-becuase they only had 900+ yards per season after their many thousand-yard seasons. And no reciever has ever beat Revis so much for 7 yard slants. So Calvin Johnson isnt as good, the giant receivers must suck, only stevie is good.

Wait I do remember lee out jumping Revis for a big game winning TD once. But we won the game because of it so I guess thats not as good as 7 catches for 90 something yards in a loss though. Stevie is much better at dropping game winners but still expects for Lee evans type money afterwards.

1. I'm not 100% sure, but i think that stevie was the only reciever to go deep on Revis all year. I think he had a 52 yard catch if I remember correctly.

2. See Evans drop from this years playoffs, which is worse than stevie's combined.

You should feel proud you just made my ignore list. Only 4 amazing posters have ever made this list. Have a good life.

Stevie is a bonified #1. He gets open, period. The Bills had nothing to complement him this past season and he still went for over 1000 yards. He more than held his own against Revis. He's a #1, and what people do or don't think about Lee Evans has nothing to do with it. Nothing.

We had Moulds and Reed and evans was a luxury pick that didnt even start,plus i was also only refuting the statement that johnson was "buried onthe depth chart"

13th pick or not doesnt mean you automatically are good. Evans proved his rookie year he was good due in part to having a good qb. Then if johnson is sooo good, why didnt we all see this in his 2 first seasons? why did people here say he would be cut in training camp 2010 and then again after a drop in green bay?

Why did people say it would be evans parrish and easley in 2010 as our starting three even after 2 full years to show his stuff? easley hadnt even stepped on the field yet!

We had Moulds and Reed and evans was a luxury pick that didnt even start,plus i was also only refuting the statement that johnson was "buried onthe depth chart"

13th pick or not doesnt mean you automatically are good. Evans proved his rookie year he was good due in part to having a good qb. Then if johnson is sooo good, why didnt we all see this in his 2 first seasons? why did people here say he would be cut in training camp 2010 and then again after a drop in green bay?

Why did people say it would be evans parrish and easley in 2010 as our starting three even after 2 full years to show his stuff? easley hadnt even stepped on the field yet!

You do know that all footballs players take time to develop, especially late round picks, right?

You do know that all footballs players take time to develop, especially late round picks, right?

Jeesh again, that was someone elses point not mine. and agian evans didnt have a "drop" and agian 52 yards is nice, but did he score?

Edited by loserlovers

Did anyone see the Doug Whaley article in this morning's Bflo News - going by what he said, it tells me they are hell-bent on re-signing Stevie:

"If you look at the teams consistently competitive, they are consistently hitting on their draft choices," he said. "That's why I think Buddy and I have clicked so well, because that's our philosophy. You piece free agents in but you want to hit on as many draft choices as you can and then re-sign those guys. That's where I think you can get depth and compete."

Although the following doesn't pertain to Stevie - I love the overall philosphy:

"It's pretty obvious where our glaring needs are," Whaley said. "I tell people what I think is a very promising thing is from my background, you build a team that's consistent from inside out. So if you look at the inside of our offensive line, defensive line, we're pretty solid there. We start getting the outside guys, the edges, somebody to complement (receiver) Steve (Johnson), a pass rusher. Those are those outside pieces; now we're a complete team. So that's where I think we're heading."

You gotta like this guy!

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

Did anyone see the Doug Whaley article in this morning's Bflo News - going by what he said, it tells me they are hell-bent on re-signing Stevie:

"If you look at the teams consistently competitive, they are consistently hitting on their draft choices," he said. "That's why I think Buddy and I have clicked so well, because that's our philosophy. You piece free agents in but you want to hit on as many draft choices as you can and then re-sign those guys. That's where I think you can get depth and compete."

Although the following doesn't pertain to Stevie - I love the overall philosphy:

"It's pretty obvious where our glaring needs are," Whaley said. "I tell people what I think is a very promising thing is from my background, you build a team that's consistent from inside out. So if you look at the inside of our offensive line, defensive line, we're pretty solid there. We start getting the outside guys, the edges, somebody to complement (receiver) Steve (Johnson), a pass rusher. Those are those outside pieces; now we're a complete team. So that's where I think we're heading."

You gotta like this guy!

He makes way to much sense... He must be lying

Your and idiot.

Good point. Imagine if they had another WR. He'd be wide open. I'd love to see him and Vincent Jackson together. When you beat the best CB in the NFL, have a 1,000+ yard season, your QB is average, and there is no legit WR opposite you, you are clearly a #1 WR!

Some of this is new news to me, about Whaley especially but the twitter activity being quiet is interesting too in it's way. well i am off to read the interview. But before i go. I still think Stevie can become the best # 2 WR for us in a long time. and maybe one of the best in the league. He does not personify a # One. He just doesnt. But here is an important key, he is by leaps (hehe)and bounds our Best WR. I think the comparisons are useless mostly. He is not elite but he has more potential yet. An upside still.

Pay him Doug. and Stevie, i hope you work hard and earn it. for us. Don't dissappoint. Our #2 is just as important as our # 1 in our system just different. Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12

The media has been very quiet on this all week as well. Neither a pessimistic nor an optimistic report. Almost no news at all since Sunday.