The Official RGIII thread

rayray808

I mean I'm not an NFL scout

^^This says it all

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't see Weeden as a polished passer. You have to factor the threat of Newton running and that's what has helped his NFL development. Weeden played in a spread offense and had the best WR in the country hands down, but he can't run. To mention Weeden, along with Luck only, as NFL ready boggles the mind. He's Chris Weinke all over, a 28 or 29 year old NFL rookie.

Griffin has the tools. He does not have the classic delivery, but you probably also would have dismissed Philip Rivers on his delivery too. It is not elongated, which is what doomed Leftwich.

The guy I am most anxious to see how he does in the NFL is Kellen Moore. Could be decent, could be Danny Wuerffel II, though that comparison is harsh. Wuerffel's arm was way weak.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds are you might have to trade up to take RGIII

Trading up for the 2nd overall pick would take:

2012 Draft....

1) 10th overall pick

2) Bills second rounder

3) Bills fourth rounder

2013 Draft....

1) Bills first round

2) Possible mid round pick

Trading up for the 3rd selection:

2012 Draft...

1) 10th overall

2) Bills second rounder

3) later round pick

2013 Draft...

1) Bills first round pick

I'm seeing all of these posts about "What would you trade up for him" or "Give this Draft Away for RG3". I know he won the heisman and won their bowl game, but other than that, when did he become the second coming? Is this because Cam Newton actually worked out? (At least for this season that is).

I have no bad feelings towards the kid. I actually have no feelings about him at all. I'm just curious to know what people are seeing in him to merit these kinds of conversations. Is he that accurate and smart to be able to read NFL defenses and hit receivers in stride? Is he that durable for when he scrambles, and yes he will, that he can take a hit and survive?

In the past, more QB's don't make than do and that discrepency gets bigger when you talk about scrambling college QB's. My concern is that, in a Vick/Newton world, people forget about all the busts and now are looking for that unique talent every year.

And to be clear, I'd give the draft away and probably next years too for Luck. The dude can do everything and while prospects are always a bet, he looks to be the safest bet.

RG3 is shorter than his listed 6'2" height, he's lighter than his listed 220 lb weight. He takes a lot of punishment...that he doesn't withstand all that well at the COLLEGE level, and there's a good chance he'll be crushed in the pros. Are you sold now?

Think Vick with Fitz's brain.

That said: he's still not as good as Newton. Never will be.

Think less athletic Vick...takes WAY more punishment running the ball. Think stretchered off the field 2-3 times a year.

RG3 is shorter than his listed 6'2" height, he's lighter than his listed 220 lb weight. He takes a lot of punishment...that he doesn't withstand all that well at the COLLEGE level, and there's a good chance he'll be crushed in the pros. Are you sold now?

Think less athletic Vick...takes WAY more punishment running the ball. Think stretchered off the field 2-3 times a year.

Right. Because everything in his career up to this point suggests any of this.

He's gonna be the second QB taken and most likely a top five pick. I think you better warn all the scouts out there about your concerns before they do something stupid like select him in the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think you understand the importance of getting a player who we can refer to with two letters and a number. Or five letters if you opt for the somewhat more punkish RGIII. You see, being able to refer to a play like this is important to most fans. Very important.

Think about it. If we couldn't refer to Vince Young as VY, he's be just another Madden-covered flash-in-the-pan quarterback backing up some obscure felon on an over-hyped .500 ball club. But he's not Vince Young. He's VY. And that's cool.

That's why we need to draft RG3. Or RGIII. Because it'd be cool.

Dig?

Fans want RGIII. Bills draft RGIII @ #10. RGIII turns out to be a bust (like RJ,DB,JPL,TE). Fans lament how stupid the Bills were to draft RGIII in the first place. Meanwhile the Bills select #1 in 2014 and the fans want them to draft a QB or whatever flavor of the month is popular.

Trust me, I can predict my Bills fans as well as I can predict what the Bills FO will do. Sometimes the two deserve each other.

Odds are you might have to trade up to take RGIII

Trading up for the 2nd overall pick would take:

2012 Draft....

1) 10th overall pick

2) Bills second rounder

3) Bills fourth rounder

2013 Draft....

1) Bills first round

2) Possible mid round pick

Trading up for the 3rd selection:

2012 Draft...

1) 10th overall

2) Bills second rounder

3) later round pick

2013 Draft...

1) Bills first round pick

And the only reason to this is if you are one player away from contending, which the Bills are not.

It's funny because everyone has to compare RG3 to Newton or Mike Vick. Personally, I think he is more like Steve Young. Similar size, very mobile, and very accurate.

I think Young is the best comparison I've seen. He's a far better passer than Vick at similar career stages and he's a pass first, run second QB. I heard that, again like Young, he's planning on going to law school to boot.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Young is the best comparison I've seen. He's a far better passer than Vick at similar career stages and he's a pass first, run second QB. I heard that, again like Young, he's planning on going to law school to boot.

GO BILLS!!!

For the sake of comparison:

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=4312

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/378497/robert-griffin-iii

Robert Griffin was more accurate than Steve Young. People are going to have to try really hard to find holes in RG3's game like they could with Tebow or Newton. He is listed at 6'2" which is the same size or bigger than Brees and Rodgers. The only knock I could see is that he does like skinny. But he is a pass first QB who only runs when he has too.

I think he is going to be very good.

It's funny because everyone has to compare RG3 to Newton or Mike Vick. Personally, I think he is more like Steve Young. Similar size, very mobile, and very accurate.

Exactly, to compare him to Vick is just stupid. This guy had I think 34 td passes this year & threw for a ton of yards. Vick never did either one of these things in college. Vick was a pure runner that happen to play QB. RG is a passer that also is extremely mobile. Size concern a tad but with that being said I would love him in a Bills Uniform.

& if he does happen to turn out to be a player like M Vick, well the bills QB situation has been alot worse since Kelly retired.

I'm seeing all of these posts about "What would you trade up for him" or "Give this Draft Away for RG3". I know he won the heisman and won their bowl game, but other than that, when did he become the second coming? Is this because Cam Newton actually worked out? (At least for this season that is).

I have no bad feelings towards the kid. I actually have no feelings about him at all. I'm just curious to know what people are seeing in him to merit these kinds of conversations. Is he that accurate and smart to be able to read NFL defenses and hit receivers in stride? Is he that durable for when he scrambles, and yes he will, that he can take a hit and survive?

In the past, more QB's don't make than do and that discrepency gets bigger when you talk about scrambling college QB's. My concern is that, in a Vick/Newton world, people forget about all the busts and now are looking for that unique talent every year.

And to be clear, I'd give the draft away and probably next years too for Luck. The dude can do everything and while prospects are always a bet, he looks to be the safest bet.

I was sold after the first game this season vs TCU where he threw for 350+ and 5 TDs. I wasn't too familiar with him before that game but heard he was solid. He blew me away with his throwing touch and accuracy- especially w/ the deep ball hitting guys perfectly in stride.

He went on to do it all season long vs good teams.

For the sake of comparison:

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=4312

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/378497/robert-griffin-iii

Robert Griffin was more accurate than Steve Young. People are going to have to try really hard to find holes in RG3's game like they could with Tebow or Newton. He is listed at 6'2" which is the same size or bigger than Brees and Rodgers. The only knock I could see is that he does like skinny. But he is a pass first QB who only runs when he has too.

I think he is going to be very good.

Terrible comparison. Griffin and Young aren't remotely comparable. Here's proof:

Griffin

Young

See?

Okay, on a serious note, I'm pretty much all in on RG3. There are only 2 real concerns I have at this point. First, it's hard to succeed in the NFL if you're actually a well-rounded person with real life goals like RG3 is. The best players tend to be obsessive cases who are consumed by football and have nothing else to fall back on. Will Griffin put in that extra hour of film study, or will he spend that hour reading a law journal? This wouldn't keep me from drafting him, because he's plenty smart, seems to work very hard, and (I'm sure) will be very motivated in the NFL, and there are plenty of exceptions to the "football maniac" rule, but it's still a concern. You could even see a situation like Robert Smith, the Vikings RB, who was really good, but retired early in his career to go to med school. Wouldn't shock me if RG3 plays for 6-7 years, then retires to enter law school.

Second, his build is pretty slight. There's a reason that Vick gets hurt every couple of games, but Newton and Tebow combined for 248 rushes this year without a single injury between them (Vick had 76 rushes, FYI). Griffin might bulk up some as he plays, but that would cost him a lot of speed. (Vick hasn't bulked up, but some guys have -- Jake Plummer comes to mind. Unfortunately, Jake wasn't really a good enough passer to do much without his scrambling ability.) Then again, Griffin's not much thinner than Aaron Rodgers, who hasn't had much injury history in 3 seasons as a starter, so we'll see. Again, this concern wouldn't be enough for me to pass on Griffin

As for his delivery and technical points like that, I won't pretend I'm a good enough scout to know anything about the details. I just look at the big picture: With that kind of athleticism, putting up those numbers in a strong conference (especially the accuracy!), and with his intelligence and character to boot, I think he'll be a massive success.

I watched him play only about 6 games in 2010 & 2011

I watched Newton play almost every game in 2010.

So I haven't watched RGIII as much as I watched Newton in college.

Watch where RGIII release starts. He keeps the ball low. Its around the top of his numbers. This is not a good place for the ball to be.

Watch the wind up and delivery of RGIII. To me its not where it would need to be to get the ball out as fast as it needs to get out in the NFL.

He does have a funny delivery--it's slow and he releases like he's throwing a baseball.

That's exactly like Vick!

^^This says it all

Yeah because only NFL scouts are allowed to post their opinion of College prospects on this board and they're 100% infallible.

Look at my record from 2011.

Cam Newton = Check (and there was a debate)

Von Miller = Wrong

Marcell Dareus = Check (but there wasn't much debate if he would have an impact)

Jack Locker = Wrong (so far he looked way better than I expected in his injury time play)

Julio Jones = Check (and there was debate of whether he would be a top 10 pick)

Mason Foster = Who I loved and wanted over Kelvin Sheppard looks like a stud

Sam Acho = Who I wanted in the 4th over Searcy looks great and had 7 sacks.

I'm not an NFL scout but I'm not a dingle berry poster that spouts off nonsense about draft prospects.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't see Weeden as a polished passer. You have to factor the threat of Newton running and that's what has helped his NFL development. Weeden played in a spread offense and had the best WR in the country hands down, but he can't run. To mention Weeden, along with Luck only, as NFL ready boggles the mind. He's Chris Weinke all over, a 28 or 29 year old NFL rookie.

Yeah because QBs all suck once they turn 28 in the NFL :rolleyes:

Griffin has the tools. He does not have the classic delivery, but you probably also would have dismissed Philip Rivers on his delivery too. It is not elongated, which is what doomed Leftwich.

The guy I am most anxious to see how he does in the NFL is Kellen Moore. Could be decent, could be Danny Wuerffel II, though that comparison is harsh. Wuerffel's arm was way weak.

Seriously dude, looks at RGIII's wind up again.

When you watch your YouTube clips. Focus on his throwing motion. Like I said it concerns me.

You add that with his slight build and I don't think he is a plug and play QB.

Edited by Why So Serious?