The Official RGIII thread

rayray808

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, a QB in the first round is not wise given the state of the defense, more games were lost due to bad defense than bad QBing.

I think the Bills are at the point where they need to make a gigantic "we're going all in" move. I would fully support the move to trade up for RG III and giving up a boat load of picks.

Picking a LB this year in the 1st, then adding a 1st rd. CB in 2013, then a 1st rd. whatever in 2014 would do little but help us keep ending up around 8-8.

We are in the "Arena League" age of the NFL. I could see a guy like RG III being very much worth 3 first round picks to get to the #2 overall pick this year. If you had an almost unstoppable offense, all you would need is an average defense patched together with free agents and 3rd and 4th rounders to win a Superbowl.

C'mon Nix, do it! Go all in for RG III in this coming draft.

Edited by 1billsfan

He'll suck. Cam Newton he is not.

I was a big fan of Newton and Newton is certainly built to withstand a pounding that RG3 is not. But RG3 has a chance to be a passer on par with Brady and Rodgers and has track star athleticism on top of that. He's also a very cerebral player which bodes well for long term success.

The team that has the chance to draft him and trades that pick.......even for a bounty of draft picks......is making a mistake.

I think the Bills are at the point where they need to make a gigantic "we're going all in" move. I would fully support the move to trade up for RG III and giving up a boat load of picks.

Picking a LB this year in the 1st, then adding a 1st rd. CB in 2013, then a 1st rd. whatever in 2014 would do little but help us keep ending up around 8-8.

We are in the "Arena League" age of the NFL. I could see a guy like RG III being very much worth 3 first round picks to get to the #2 overall pick this year. If you had an almost unstoppable offense, all you would need is an average defense patched together with free agents and 3rd and 4th rounders to win a Superbowl.

C'mon Nix, do it! Go all in for RG III in this coming draft.

Having a great QB for a decade is the easiest way to success on the field and off.

The Colts have been going to the playoffs for years with a roster that has been one of the 5-10 worst in the league. The Pats defense has been lousy for several years, yet they are always there because of Brady.

It's that simple, really.

Off the field.....Manning basically got a stadium built in a town that previously was not that into the Colts.

The concept behind owning a football team is to convince the locals to root for you. You do that with hope. Great QB's bring that. That's how you start maximizing your earnings potential and maximizing the value of your franchise.

The NFL is not MLB, but look at the deal CA Angels made with Albert Pujols. They signed him to a huge contract and a day later signed a new TV deal that dwarfed the Pujols contract.

The NFL shares tv revenue, but the point is that there is a lot of outside earning potential being wasted in Buffalo by the lack of a direction, by a lack of a great QB to raise fans hopes and create new fan interest.

My vote for most misguided thread of the New year. Of course you make the trade. Immediately

At the cost of not being able to fill other needs (pass rush, WR, CB)? No. We have way too many holes for a rookie QB to overcome.

The Bills would have to make a major deal to get RG3, and then make some major FA signings to make up for the loss of draft picks to fill the craters in their lineup.

I don't think that Nix (or Nix under Wilson) has the chops to make the deals to make this happen.

trade up with Jacksonville and draft Robert Griffin III...

next year we have a double headed MONSTER of Freddy and CJ running the ball. Healthy wide receivers, and big Tight End's to throw under...

most importantly, with RG3 our o-line will have less pressure as he can manipulate the pocket almost every play...

defenses will have a field day trying to guard the multiple options we can run every down (opens up Brad Smith even more)...

_________

Kyle Williams back, and Dareus with experience our d-line is back in bizz...

Aaron Williams with experience and our secondary creates more turnovers (like we saw in the beginning of the year)

_________

we had a great draft last year and can afford to trade up, not to mention the Lynch trade pick we can move...

DO IT BILLS, DO IT!

Nothing against RG3 but the downside is this:

1. It will cost lots of draft pick, over a few seasons, and we have huge holes at OLB, DE, WR and LT to fill.

2. RG3 will not help our OL because, as a rookie, he will most likely not be able to read defenses or avoid sacks beter than Fitz. He has a much bigger top end than Fitz. No doubt.

Nothing against RG3 but the downside is this:

1. It will cost lots of draft pick, over a few seasons, and we have huge holes at OLB, DE, WR and LT to fill.

2. RG3 will not help our OL because, as a rookie, he will most likely not be able to read defenses or avoid sacks beter than Fitz. He has a much bigger top end than Fitz. No doubt.

I will take my chances with a QB with that kind of talent.

To me, the fans tend to look at things like "how close are we to getting into the playoffs if things fall right" and fixate on patching holes on draft day.

Regardless of whether you are trading up or not, that's not the proper approach to drafting for success.

The plan should be building a team that can win a SB. Gonna' be REALLY hard to do that without an elite QB.

This year has shown the NFL has shifted to a passing league. Two QB's broke Marino's passing record. The current rules favor the offense over the D. The Bills need a QB that can produce yards through the air but also gain yards if things breakdown. RG III may be our best shot at that. Fitz can't carry an offense.

Edited by Drifter

I like the idea depending on the price. I'd give up this years 1st and 4th, (we have two) and next years second or even first for a Franchise type QB. We can get a pass rusher with the second pick, plus having KW back will be huge. Also, we could sign Matthis as a 1-2 year stop-gap. Plus, the new DC will help. (can't be worse than Edwards).

This year has shown the NFL has shifted to a passing league. Two QB's broke Marino's passing record. The current rules favor the offense over the D. The Bills need a QB that can produce yards through the air but also gain yards if things breakdown. RG III may be our best shot at that. Fitz can't carry an offense.

You hit the nail on the head. The Packers D gives up more yards than there offense gains, but look, they have the #1 seed in the NFC. The Pats D is ranked dead last in several important categories, but they have the AFC #1 seed. Fitz just can't put up the points needed to compete week in and week out. Great backup, but RG3 has the skills to compete at the NFL level. Plus, Freddie and CJ are going to be unstoppable next year.

I have nasty visions of Mike Ditka wearing a dreadlock wig and trading his entire draft on Ricky Williams. Don't fall into that trap. This team isn't ONE player away.

Did you really just compare RG3 to Ricky Williams?!?!

Once again, a QB in the first round is not wise given the state of the defense, more games were lost due to bad defense than bad QBing.

False. See Packers and Pats D's, both of which are statistically worse than ours.