The Official RGIII thread

rayray808

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys....I like RG3 but come on please......

we would have to give up so much to move from 10 to whatever would get us RG3 its not even an option.....we just gave a qb a starting contract.....and we just changed DC's which will probably signal a change in scheme.

The defense is years away from being good. With a talented QB the offense could be one of the best in the league next year. I'd take the chance. Worst case scenario we get the same crap product we've had for 12 years.

I'm used to the abuse by now, take the chance.

As bad as the Bills have been for the past 12 years, the Rams have been worse in the past 5 years, averaging only 3 wins per season.

Their roster is not as good as the Bills and as disappointed as people are in Chan's win-loss record he has certainly shown that he can coax good play out of shabby QB's in his career and gotten remarkable production out of OL who can't even make other teams and receivers that nobody wants. He is not without some merit as an offensive football coach.

I would love to see what he could do with a player like RG3. And Bradford, hell yes I would take him as a consolation prize. They could keep both but I agree with your assessment that they will probably trade Bradford or the pick to improve their roster.

Living in St Louis (though not a Rams fan) I've had the chance to watch the Rams fall from "greatest show on turf" to their present state, up close and personal.

Of course I totally agree that while Buffalo has been bad, Rams have been worse. However, last year there was great hope they were on the rise. They just missed the playoffs. Bradford looked good. I personally felt they had done a decent job with their last few drafts.

I like Bradford. I think he deserved to be picked where he was. I think he has the potential to be a good to great QB in the NFL for a long time. So I'm stunned by all the talk I hear.

He's on the hot seat. He has to produce next year or he's a bust. Yadda yadda.

Two points from all this. Number one, a quality QB can certainly look like crap when he's on a crap team and/or has crap coaching. I think we both agree there. Now that's not to say that a QB who looks like crap when he's on a crap team or has crap coaching, is quality - but he probably is better than he looks.

Number two, a quality QB by himself is not nearly enough to turn a losing team around. I'd be surprised if we didn't agree there too. It may be easier to win with great offense and mediocre defense, but one has to have some weapons on offense and a defense that's mediocre (GB and NE give up lots of yards but are mediocre on points, and it's not just TOP)

I think it's possible some team may land Bradford at a (relative) fire sale price if whoever the Rams bring in wants to start fresh at QB and has a man-crush on RGIII. And I'd be fine with Buffalo trying to get him.

Nothing against RGIII, either, but it's gonna be a crazy bidding war to get him and I think we'd have to give up so much it would gut the rest of the team.

And even Wunderkind QBs need a team around them.

I actually think Chan would be a better offensive coach for a potentially elite QB such as Bradford or RGIII. Whoever said he play-calls like he's got Rodgers in there had a point.

everyone needs to STOP thinking that RG3 is going top 2... that is the problem with most comments on this thread

1) Indy - Luck. even if he isn't a Colt, Andrew Luck's name will be named off here

2) Rams - Kalil. Bradford had one bad year. the rams will get him the best o-lineman in the draft

3) Vikings - Claiborne/Blackmon - shut down corner, or a wideout to compliment Harvin and AP

4) Browns - Blackmon/Richardson - top receiver for Colt, or a runningback for the future

5) Tampa - whoever is left from Claiborne/Blackmon/Richardson

6) Redskins - WANT A QB BAD AND WILL TAKE RG3 IF WE DONT MOVE UP

Basically if we want RG3 we would have to hope that Richardson is left on the board by the time Tampa is picking. That way, they would trade down with us figuring he would most likely be around at 10.

It all hangs on Minnesota in my opinion. The Vikes take Blackmon and the Browns will be ready to deal the pick for any team desperate for RG3. The Vikes take Claiborne, Browns will go Blackmon with quickness, and then Tampa becomes the team ready to deal the pick.

If none of these teams pull the trigger on a trade, RG3 will be a Washington Redskin next year :thumbdown:

You guys may think I'm crazy, but I think we could pull it off with Tampa if the draft works out the way we need it to...

The answer to the question about Fitz ...... he is inconsistent and it's because of the physical limitation of his throwing arm, which is mediocre.

He's a gamer but he's not a gifted passer. He has to hurl his body into throws, which disrupts his mechanics and makes him wild. Does he make a beautiful throw over 20 yards occasionally? Yeah, but it is generally a struggle. The throw that separates the good arms from the weak is the deep out. Yesterday Fitz had Nelson wide open on a deep out on third and 18 and missed BADLY. It is a fairly routine throw for a QB with a good arm, but for Fitz it is simply a step back out of his range. That is a hindrance.

Hey Dick,

Appreciate the info and I'm sure you're seeing what you're seeing. The question I have, or puzzlement, is it fundamental to Fitz, or does he have poor mechanics at some times that make him wild, and not others? He has several games in a row with very high accuracy, and he's actually #9 in throws over 29 yds on the Washington Post statistics. He had several consistent >20 yd throws in the first quarter of the NE game.

I posted at length about this and mentioned your name in the "So, why no love for Fitz?" thread if you want to check it out - I'd love to link it and make life easy but I can't figgur how.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/140642-so-why-no-love-for-fitz-how-was-6-10-his-fault/page__view__findpost__p__2352919 (Edited by moderator)

Just so it's clear, we do agree that Fitz does not have a particularly strong arm. I do wonder if this could be improved. I had heard Brady came into the league kind of noodle armed and worked his a** off to get stronger. Fitz had other priorities when his job was to pass courses at Harvard and then to learn a new offense each week on the scout team. His job description has changed, and he did look like he'd buffed up at the start of the season (then sagged as the season progressed - I swear right now he looks pudgy. Well, so do I, but I'm not paid millions of bucks for athletics). No time like the present, Fitz.

No way Cleveland passes on RG3. McCoy is no one's idea of a quality starting QB. If they have a chance at RG3 and pass him up, the Browns' braintrust is even dumber than the Bills', which is saying a lot.

And Washington too..

everyone needs to STOP thinking that RG3 is going top 2... that is the problem with most comments on this thread

1) Indy - Luck. even if he isn't a Colt, Andrew Luck's name will be named off here

2) Rams - Kalil. Bradford had one bad year. the rams will get him the best o-lineman in the draft

3) Vikings - Claiborne/Blackmon - shut down corner, or a wideout to compliment Harvin and AP

4) Browns - Blackmon/Richardson - top receiver for Colt, or a runningback for the future

5) Tampa - whoever is left from Claiborne/Blackmon/Richardson

6) Redskins - WANT A QB BAD AND WILL TAKE RG3 IF WE DONT MOVE UP

You're absolutely crazy if you think the Rams are turning down 2 extra first round picks just so they can draft Kalil.

The Rams are going to trade out of their pick to the highest bidder who are looking to draft Luck or RG III. Bank on it.

I'm seeing all of these posts about "What would you trade up for him" or "Give this Draft Away for RG3". I know he won the heisman and won their bowl game, but other than that, when did he become the second coming? Is this because Cam Newton actually worked out? (At least for this season that is).

I have no bad feelings towards the kid. I actually have no feelings about him at all. I'm just curious to know what people are seeing in him to merit these kinds of conversations. Is he that accurate and smart to be able to read NFL defenses and hit receivers in stride? Is he that durable for when he scrambles, and yes he will, that he can take a hit and survive?

In the past, more QB's don't make than do and that discrepency gets bigger when you talk about scrambling college QB's. My concern is that, in a Vick/Newton world, people forget about all the busts and now are looking for that unique talent every year.

And to be clear, I'd give the draft away and probably next years too for Luck. The dude can do everything and while prospects are always a bet, he looks to be the safest bet.

1) I'm not calling you on it because a lot of people do it but the Newton comparison is so lazy. RG3 has very good speed but he is a pass first QB who only runs when he has too. Newton ran a lot more than RG3.

2) People who doubted Newton were idiots. He was a stud who dominated the best conference in college. RG3 dominanted the 2nd best conference at a historically crappy university. He carried Baylor by himself to a top 10 finish.

3) The only knock people had against Newton was his "character." Well RG3 is like a smaller version of Newton with Tebow's character. He was raised by military parents; already graduated as a junior; is looking to law school; and is engaged. His character is nearly flawless.

4) He would look and be rated awesome in Madden. :thumbsup:

I hate the idiot of trading so many picks for one player. But I love RG3 and if you are going to trade that much, it better be for a franchise Qb.

1) I'm not calling you on it because a lot of people do it but the Newton comparison is so lazy. RG3 has very good speed but he is a pass first QB who only runs when he has too. Newton ran a lot more than RG3.

2) People who doubted Newton were idiots. He was a stud who dominated the best conference in college. RG3 dominanted the 2nd best conference at a historically crappy university. He carried Baylor by himself to a top 10 finish.

3) The only knock people had against Newton was his "character." Well RG3 is like a smaller version of Newton with Tebow's character. He was raised by military parents; already graduated as a junior; is looking to law school; and is engaged. His character is nearly flawless.

4) He would look and be rated awesome in Madden. :thumbsup:

I hate the idiot of trading so many picks for one player. But I love RG3 and if you are going to trade that much, it better be for a franchise Qb.

Seriously Newton was so clearly talented the comparisons to Tebow or Russell were so far off.

RGIII is not as good as Newton, lets just start there.

I personally thought comparing Newton to McNair was closer and Newton even exceeded what I thought he would do this early in his career.

RGIII is a hard to compare imo to other QB. Mini-Newton is lazy but not together far off. I worry that RGIII is more of an injury concern in the NFL, like Vick.

I don't think RGIII is as polished a passer as Newton. Anyone that thought Newton couldn't pass, couldn't see past his rushing TDs.

I don't think RGIII is as plug and play-able as Cam Newton right now. I think RGIII would need a year to learn the pro game but with his intelligence and handwork RGIII can pick it up. You can stick him under center as a starter in 2012 in the NFL and his athletic talent will take over but I think it could slow his progression long term to becoming an NFL QB. If he comes out to the draft in 2012 I'd like to see go to a team that can sit him for a 8-16 games like the Bills, than a team that will throw him into the frying pan like the Dolphins.

I personally believe RGIII is going back to Baylor for another year,

1.) He needs to in order to be a better NFL QB.

2.) He is smart enough to know he needs it, and will work on polishing his passing game.

3.) He knows the NFL will be there in 2013 if he performs well and works hard in 2012 and he has confidence in himself to perform well and work hard

4.) The Rookie pay after the lockout encourages QBs to go back a year because it is easier to "reach" on a QB in the draft a la the 2011 draft with Ponder and Dalton. In 2010 or 2009 no way a team takes them that early with the $$$ they would have to cough up. So even if RGIII has a "so-so" 2012 he'll still be a top 12 pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

quote]

There is nothing you say that is even arguable about RG3, Plus his Dad is the complete opposite of Newtons.

I believe he's almost done with a Masters degree. That's besides being a very good Quarterback. Personally I would trade the house for him. But I also

want to win a super bowl. Making the playoffs (with Fitz) is meaningless unless you're built as a team to win the big prize.

I do not see any evidence anywhere in the Buffalo Bills brain trust, that we are building a (super bowl winning) contender.

But the whole RG3 story/discussion is moot because there is NO way the Bills would make a move on him.

Meaning paying the price to get him. Fitz is clearly Chans guy. They may go down and crash and burn together,

but I have feeling Fitz will be here until Chan is fired or wins with him.

Edited by Best Player Available

RGII was the "source" that said RG3 was going pro. I'd bet he's going, but it is not official...yet

RGIII is a better passer than Newton. Two different athletes. Newton is bigger and stronger, Griffin is faster. Arm strength is debateable, probably Newton's is stronger. Newton's confidence allowed him to adjust to the NFL quicker than many thought. Griffin is a smart kid, but the transition to the NFL is obviously not always a smooth one for top rated college QBs.

Seriously Newton was so clearly talented the comparisons to Tebow or Russell were so far off.

RGIII is not as good as Newton, lets just start there.

I personally thought comparing Newton to McNair was closer and Newton even exceeded what I thought he would do this early in his career.

RGIII is a hard to compare imo to other QB. Mini-Newton is lazy but not together far off. I worry that RGIII is more of an injury concern in the NFL, like Vick.

I don't think RGIII is as polished a passer as Newton. Anyone that thought Newton couldn't pass, couldn't see past his rushing TDs.

I don't think RGIII is as plug and play-able as Cam Newton right now. I think RGIII would need a year to learn the pro game but with his intelligence and handwork RGIII can pick it up. You can stick him under center as a starter in 2012 in the NFL and his athletic talent will take over but I think it could slow his progression long term to becoming an NFL QB. If he comes out to the draft in 2012 I'd like to see go to a team that can sit him for a 8-16 games like the Bills, than a team that will throw him into the frying pan like the Dolphins.

I personally believe RGIII is going back to Baylor for another year,

1.) He needs to in order to be a better NFL QB.

2.) He is smart enough to know he needs it, and will work on polishing his passing game.

3.) He knows the NFL will be there in 2013 if he performs well and works hard in 2012 and he has confidence in himself to perform well and work hard

4.) The Rookie pay after the lockout encourages QBs to go back a year because it is easier to "reach" on a QB in the draft a la the 2011 draft with Ponder and Dalton. In 2010 or 2009 no way a team takes them that early with the $$$ they would have to cough up. So even if RGIII has a "so-so" 2012 he'll still be a top 12 pick.

Sorry, but your opinion is wrong about him. You must not of watched him play much. He is NFL ready right now & he has nothing left to prove in College. + he has his degree already. I think it is a real long shot that he goes back to Baylor next year, rookie pay scale or no rookie pay scale. He is a polished pocket passer that will run when he needs too but looks to throw first. He is accurate, has a very live arm & is extremely quick. I think he has a chance to be better then Newton(& I was hoping the Bills had a chance to draft Newton last year, I loved his game) & I will go on record right now & say that he is going to have a better career then Luck. This guy has it all & I would not care what the Bills gave up to get him. I think he is going to be that good. I do worry about him getting injured as he is not as big as Newton & question whether he could take the pounding that a running QB takes, but with that being said, he looks extremely comfortable in the pocket so maybe he could be taught to run only when necassary. This guy is the real deal. I would love to see him in a bills uniform. I know it will never happen with the chickenshit decisions that are always made at OBD but I could dream I guess.

Sorry, but your opinion is wrong about him. You must not of watched him play much. He is NFL ready right now & he has nothing left to prove in College. + he has his degree already. I think it is a real long shot that he goes back to Baylor next year, rookie pay scale or no rookie pay scale. He is a polished pocket passer that will run when he needs too but looks to throw first. He is accurate, has a very live arm & is extremely quick. I think he has a chance to be better then Newton(& I was hoping the Bills had a chance to draft Newton last year, I loved his game) & I will go on record right now & say that he is going to have a better career then Luck. This guy has it all & I would not care what the Bills gave up to get him. I think he is going to be that good. I do worry about him getting injured as he is not as big as Newton & question whether he could take the pounding that a running QB takes, but with that being said, he looks extremely comfortable in the pocket so maybe he could be taught to run only when necassary. This guy is the real deal. I would love to see him in a bills uniform. I know it will never happen with the chickenshit decisions that are always made at OBD but I could dream I guess.

^This. RG3 has no place to go but down and it's not like Baylor is gonna compete for a national championship. Then again, I thought Luck had no place to go but down and he ended up doing ok for himself. Anyway, I'd be surprised if he stayed in school after winning the Heisman.

GO BILLS!!!

RGII was the "source" that said RG3 was going pro. I'd bet he's going, but it is not official...yet

RGIII is a better passer than Newton. Two different athletes. Newton is bigger and stronger, Griffin is faster. Arm strength is debateable, probably Newton's is stronger. Newton's confidence allowed him to adjust to the NFL quicker than many thought. Griffin is a smart kid, but the transition to the NFL is obviously not always a smooth one for top rated college QBs.

I watched him play only about 6 games in 2010 & 2011

I watched Newton play almost every game in 2010.

So I haven't watched RGIII as much as I watched Newton in college.

Watch where RGIII release starts. He keeps the ball low. Its around the top of his numbers. This is not a good place for the ball to be.

I don't care about the hype about this kid says, he is not ready to start in the NFL.

Yes he has about 2000 more yards passing than Netwon had in his Heisman year but that doesn't mean he is a more polished passer.

Watch the wind up and delivery of RGIII. To me its not where it would need to be to get the ball out as fast as it needs to get out in the NFL.

I mean I'm not an NFL scout but I don't see an NFL ready prospect in RGIII like Luck or Weeden. That doesn't mean he won't be in the NFL a stud QB in 2013 or beyond .

Edited by Why So Serious?