What Happens If They Can't Resign Steve Johnson?

box0life

Apparently Nix has rejected Steve Johnson's last contract proposal. What happens if we don't sign this guy. That puts us in a situation where we will need two starting WR next year along with major starters needed at LB, DE and at CB. Not to mention that they seriously need more depth at almost every position. If they don't fill some needs during free agency and resign some of there key players, this team is two or three drafts from contending.

Gailey says they need 10-12 starters and they may need a few more if they don't sign some of their key free agents. Then you couple that with the fact the Cuomo won't commit any money to improving the stadium and this team looks done.

Three straight blacked out home games this year along with two or three years more of rebuilding. More black out games to occur in the next two years based on this lousy product and this team looks primed for a move to Toronto or LA.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Cuomo realizes that RW will be gone soon and a potential owner with deep pockets could step in and use some of his own capital to make much needed renovations to the Ralph, lessening the amount the state would have to fork over.

Its starting to become clear to me that the chance to sign SJ long term this year is fading quickly. I don't believe the Bills use the tag on him either. I hope that I am wrong.

Edited by It's in My Blood

Honestly, I have liked Stevie since we drafted him...however, I just don't see him as a top tier #1 WR in this league. He struggles with being pressed at the line, is more of a finesse WR, doesn't go up and get balls, is literally invisible way too often in games, and most importantly makes too many drops and critical mistakes.

To be honest, his play on the field reminds me a lot of Peerless who was much better suited as the #2 guy than a true #1.

So, if he wants top 5 WR money, then I say pass...if he wants a contract that is more reasonable then get er done

They're negotiating. No sense in panicking yet.

Maybe Steve Johnson is over estimating his own value? Maybe The Drop and The Drop II and the excessive celebration penalty that he thought was so funny are making the powers that be re think this a little?

It's been known to happen, but past experience says that come March, owners pay a lot of money for second-tier guys. Especially for skill-position players. A superstar makes $15M at WR (Fitzgerald). Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson are going to be well north of $10M. I wouldn't be shocked if some big spending team - Philadelphia, Washington, you know the type comes in and pays Stevie near $9.

Edited by silvermike

Honestly, I have liked Stevie since we drafted him...however, I just don't see him as a top tier #1 WR in this league. He struggles with being pressed at the line, is more of a finesse WR, doesn't go up and get balls, is literally invisible way too often in games, and most importantly makes too many drops and critical mistakes.

To be honest, his play on the field reminds me a lot of Peerless who was much better suited as the #2 guy than a true #1.

So, if he wants top 5 WR money, then I say pass...if he wants a contract that is more reasonable then get er done

Top 5 money, no way. However, the AP story references his position as middle of the pack type money for a #1 receiver. I think he's a middle of the pack, or slightly above, receiver so let's get this thing behind us and go forward filling the holes we presently have, not create new ones.

They're negotiating. No sense in panicking yet.

Maybe Steve Johnson is over estimating his own value? Maybe The Drop and The Drop II and the excessive celebration penalty that he thought was so funny are making the powers that be re think this a little?

yes they are. the guy is a knucklehead.

I guess they pocket more in operating profit. Johnson leaves for greener pastures, the Bills draft a WR who they expect to immediately start while talking up Marcus Easley as being able to replace Johnson.

If and when that happens, you can start a thread and whine about it. In the meantime try to post something relevant to the thread started.

____

I think they should franchise Steve if they can't reach an agreement, Nix should try to avoid him hitting FA.

Edited by Fixxxer

It's been known to happen, but past experience says that come March, owners pay a lot of money for second-tier guys. Especially for skill-position players. A superstar makes $15M at WR (Fitzgerald). Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson are going to be well north of $10M. I wouldn't be shocked if some big spending team - Philadelphia, Washington, you know the type.

Stevie will wait. Why not? if the redskins or niners offer him what the Bills offer, he leaves. that's an easy choice. just the way it goes. he will be gone for the same money at a higher profile franchise. typical bills stuff..has happened a million times before

It's been known to happen, but past experience says that come March, owners pay a lot of money for second-tier guys. Especially for skill-position players. A superstar makes $15M at WR (Fitzgerald). Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson are going to be well north of $10M. I wouldn't be shocked if some big spending team - Philadelphia, Washington, you know the type.

Stevie will wait. Why not? if the redskins or niners offer him what the Bills offer, he leaves. that's an easy choice. just the way it goes. he will be gone for the same money at a higher profile franchise. typical bills stuff..has happened a million times before

I find it hard to believe how upset people are at a good but far from great #2 receiver.

For the Bills yes he is an important part of 2011. Informal record keepers point to a drop that ended in

losses both last year and this year. Also, showing little respect for team,Stevie took the heat and rightfully so

for the Jets pt.2 nightmare. recently stiffs a paid public appearance (which Fred Jackson covered for) and he wants 9 million a year?

There has to be a better option at 9 million a year in free agency. We have been here before(see poz) we ended up with Barnett who some think

was a upgrade. Myself included. Poz says it was all scheme. I think it was all money.

I'm pretty sure they can lose without him.

Build the defense, receivers as good as Brandon Lloyd are available every year for low draft picks. Don't get distracted by fringe players when you trenches are leaky. 2 pass rushers, 1 Ilb, and 1 OT. The rest I don't care....

Stevie Johnson is a nice player, but he's 1 great catch (per game) away from being a great player.

You Franchise him and get a deal done by 2013. You cant bleed off your top talent and expect to rebuild a team. And if you look at the Bills roster, you definitely cant let your top WR walk away.

Im not saying break the bank, or pay him Fitzgerald money, but you have to get a deal done.

I figured that Steve Johnson was gone after the Jets fiasco.

After that game, Buffalo's front office guys had all their excuses lined up on why he wasn't worth a big contract. He drops passes. He doesn't have his head in the game. Etc, etc....

I'm fully expecting the Bills to publicly announce after the season that they "tried" to give Johnson a fair offer, then let him test free agency - where he will promptly sign with someone else. Smart fans will realize that we just let one of the league's top 15-20 receivers walk. There will also be morons who will support the Bills every move, saying idiotic crap like "he's not a #1 receiver" and "he doesn't have high character."

Our starting receivers next year will then be David Nelson and Donald Jones.

Here's the AP story the OP might be referring to:

Johnson ponders future in Buffalo after talks break down

jw

I also wouldnt read much into this story. It's a classic move for players to "negotiate in the media" when they dont get all the money they want. Stevie gets to put it out there that "I'm not asking for much, and I really want to stay" and raise his image, while making the FO look stingy.

Truth is, we have no idea what has been discussed or how far apart they really are.

If and when that happens, you can start a thread and whine about it. In the meantime try to post something relevant to the thread started.

____

I think they should franchise Steve if they can't reach an agreement, Nix should try to avoid him hitting FA.

The question was "What happens if they can't re-sign Steve Johnson" and I replied with what I see happening. Buffalo hasn't used the franchise tag on anyone since Nate Clements during the 2006 season, and granted there weren't a lot of players they could have applied it to, but I don't get the sense they will tag Johnson. Just a hunch, but they're going to talk about the young unproven types when Johnson leaves. And if that's the case, I can see them spending a high pick on a WR to appease fans. In recent memory they've used the draft to fill holes created by allowing veterans to leave, thereby cutting costs. JMO.

The question was "What happens if they can't re-sign Steve Johnson" and I replied with what I see happening. Buffalo hasn't used the franchise tag on anyone since Nate Clements during the 2006 season, and granted there weren't a lot of players they could have applied it to, but I don't get the sense they will tag Johnson. Just a hunch, but they're going to talk about the young unproven types when Johnson leaves. And if that's the case, I can see them spending a high pick on a WR to appease fans. In recent memory they've used the draft to fill holes created by allowing veterans to leave, thereby cutting costs. JMO.

If Johnson leaves, I can't imagine them doing anything besides spending a #1 on a WR. Which basically means we'll burn off our top draft pick to stay exactly where we are. They need to get this done.

I figured that Steve Johnson was gone after the Jets fiasco.

After that game, Buffalo's front office guys had all their excuses lined up on why he wasn't worth a big contract. He drops passes. He doesn't have his head in the game. Etc, etc....

I'm fully expecting the Bills to publicly announce after the season that they "tried" to give Johnson a fair offer, then let him test free agency - where he will promptly sign with someone else. Smart fans will realize that we just let one of the league's top 15-20 receivers walk. There will also be morons who will support the Bills every move, saying idiotic crap like "he's not a #1 receiver" and "he doesn't have high character."

Our starting receivers next year will then be David Nelson and Donald Jones.

Im often referred to as a kool-aid drinker or even Pollyanna for supporting the FO around here. But if we let Stevie walk, I will be very pissed off.

However, I said the same thing about Poz (and even Whitner), and we were able to replace them (Sheppard/Barnett, Wilson/Searcy).

But my first belief is to re-sign your top talent (SJ) and replace the bottom guys (Parrish?).

Why not just get a deal done? There is plenty of cap space, and according to JW's article Stevie told the AP that he requested an average of 9 mil a year. If they franchise him it would be 10 mil. They'd be saving money by signing him.

Unless they have no interest in signing him at all. Hmm?

Why not just get a deal done? There is plenty of cap space, and according to JW's article Stevie told the AP that he requested an average of 9 mil a year. If they franchise him it would be 10 mil. They'd be saving money by signing him.

Unless they have no interest in signing him at all. Hmm?

Which is exactly why I posted this:

I also wouldnt read much into this story. It's a classic move for players to "negotiate in the media" when they dont get all the money they want. Stevie gets to put it out there that "I'm not asking for much, and I really want to stay" and raise his image, while making the FO look stingy.

Truth is, we have no idea what has been discussed or how far apart they really are.

You Franchise him and get a deal done by 2013. You cant bleed off your top talent and expect to rebuild a team. And if you look at the Bills roster, you definitely cant let your top WR walk away.

Im not saying break the bank, or pay him Fitzgerald money, but you have to get a deal done.

DD and all who are speculating on a tag:

at this point i'm being told -- and it's noted in the story -- a tag is unlikely.

jw

Here's the AP story the OP might be referring to:

Johnson ponders future in Buffalo after talks break down

jw

I think the Bills realize how much their legitimacy as an NFL organization is in question. Speaking for myself, as a long time season ticket holder, if they don't resign Stevie that would be my final straw in deciding to renew next year. By drafting a guy, developing him, and then letting him walk, they would be essentially conceding that they are in fact a minor league outfit playing in the big leagues. This seems like the more plausible scenario, and yes, I realize it's written by a guy whose journalistic ethics are very much in question. Still, as inept as they are at attracting free agents to come to Buffalo, I can't fathom that they would create another huge hole on a roster already full of them.

Edited by Nostradamus

Apparently Nix has rejected Steve Johnson's last contract proposal. What happens if we don't sign this guy. That puts us in a situation where we will need two starting WR next year along with major starters needed at LB, DE and at CB. Not to mention that they seriously need more depth at almost every position. If they don't fill some needs during free agency and resign some of there key players, this team is two or three drafts from contending.

Gailey says they need 10-12 starters and they may need a few more if they don't sign some of their key free agents. Then you couple that with the fact the Cuomo won't commit any money to improving the stadium and this team looks done.

Three straight blacked out home games this year along with two or three years more of rebuilding. More black out games to occur in the next two years based on this lousy product and this team looks primed for a move to Toronto or LA.

My take is this:

If you are a team that reaches early in the draft and you subsequently end up assembling a roster that lacks stars.....which is what happens when you do that.....then you owe it to the fans to pay the best players you have like your stars.

It's punishment for your douchebaggery on draft day and at least you don't bone the fans twice by not drafting well and then letting the better players leave because you don't think they match up to some ideal standard..........a standard that you have proven that your talent evaluators can't even meet despite picking early in the draft for like a dozen years in a row.

If you can't be with the one you love then love the one you're with instead of jerkin off and wondering why you ain't makin' no babies.

I will give Buddy the benefit of the doubt that he will get him signed or franchised but you can't let him walk for nothing. No more of that ****.

Same old story for ralph and the bills.....finding ways NOT to keep talented players! This in itself tells me what ralphs all about....stealing from us fans....he can't go to hell fast enough! And please save the (he's the reason we have a team in buffalo)....its the fans who have continued to use their hard earned to keep this team here.....samme old crap with this crap of a franchise....

My take is this:

If you are a team that reaches early in the draft and you subsequently end up assembling a roster that lacks stars.....which is what happens when you do that.....then you owe it to the fans to pay the best players you have like your stars.

Another selfish fan with no consideration for ownership. Again, how can you expect the franchise to stay $20 milliion under the cap if you price experienced players to the market?

no, i know. i misread it. no worries. sorry.

that said, i think the tag is unlikely from what i'm being told.

jw

Thanks for the update. It'd make sense, given that Stevie is apparently asking for the tag number, and they'd give it to him if they were going to tag him. I wonder what other teams think he's worth right now.

You mean none of you guys are looking forward to Derek Hagan and Donald Jones as our #1/2 WRs next season?

If the Bills let Stevie walk, its going to be hard to take anything they do seriously. There's simply no way they can spin it.

You mean none of you guys are looking forward to Derek Hagan and Donald Jones as our #1/2 WRs next season?

If the Bills let Stevie walk, its going to be hard to take anything they do seriously. There's simply no way they can spin it.

I think the final straw must wrap the earth a thousand times because they've been pulling on it for about 6 years now.

the cycle of letting our good players walk as free agents and constant rebuilding will continue...

no team can afford to let players they have drafted, developed, and helped create walk to the degree the Bills have been willing to do it year after year...even good teams would have an issue, but with a team that already sucks, it becomes an endless cycle...

I'm pretty sure they can lose without him.

Build the defense, receivers as good as Brandon Lloyd are available every year for low draft picks. Don't get distracted by fringe players when you trenches are leaky. 2 pass rushers, 1 Ilb, and 1 OT. The rest I don't care....

Stevie Johnson is a nice player, but he's 1 great catch (per game) away from being a great player.

Thanks for writing my post for me...

He is, without a doubt, the #1 WR on the Bills, and I can't think of a team who has a worse #2 paired with their #1 WR than the Bills do (and I like Nelson). He is the WR that gets all the attention. Also, he and Fitz seem to have great chemistry.

And by the way, did you see what he did to Revis, most experts' best cornerback? He absolutely torched him. He is the second best player on the offense, behind Freddy, and I'm scared to imagine the dropoff in production for this offense without him.

And why, on this board of all places, where every other post seems to be a "Ralph is cheap" post, would anyone care how much he is paid? The Bills have the cap room. Its not our money. And contracts aren't guaranteed, so he can be cut at anytime. This isn't the NBA where one overpay will kill you.

To me, SJ is a must sign. Franchise him if need be.