What Happens If They Can't Resign Steve Johnson?

box0life

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old story for ralph and the bills.....finding ways NOT to keep talented players! This in itself tells me what ralphs all about....stealing from us fans....he can't go to hell fast enough! And please save the (he's the reason we have a team in buffalo)....its the fans who have continued to use their hard earned to keep this team here.....samme old crap with this crap of a franchise....

Except when we made Lee Evans the highest paid WR a few years back. We like it both ways here. We let our good players walk but we are stupid for signing the players we do, right? Johnson is the best WR we've had here since Evans' better days but is he a guy you pay $9M a year to? Even Jerry Sullivan hedged his bets when he said the Bills should sign Johnson, saying the guy has his brain fart moments.

So again...why are we resigning Johnson? Because he's worth the money, or we just don't want to let a player walk? How will we feel when the next big drop happens?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If Johnson leaves, I can't imagine them doing anything besides spending a #1 on a WR. Which basically means we'll burn off our top draft pick to stay exactly where we are.

I agree with your point but did McKelvin replace Clements? Did Poz replace Fletcher? Did McCargo replace Pat Williams? Forget the stupid idea that they have that they can just replace a good player with a top draft pick.........they can't even do THAT right.

Good is the new Great in Buffalo. When they start accepting that they might not be lucky enough to get a Tom Brady, Larry Fitzgerald or DeMarcus Ware to pay the precious money to then maybe.......just maybe........they will start getting those type of players on draft day.

Except when we made Lee Evans the highest paid WR a few years back. We like it both ways here. We let our good players walk but we are stupid for signing the players we do, right? Johnson is the best WR we've had here since Evans' better days but is he a guy you pay $9M a year to? Even Jerry Sullivan hedged his bets when he said the Bills should sign Johnson, saying the guy has his brain fart moments.

So again...why are we resigning Johnson? Because he's worth the money, or we just don't want to let a player walk? How will we feel when the next big drop happens?

PTR

YES. What else are they going to do with the $20m that they have under the salary cap? What are they saving it for? The last article I read said that the two sides were approximately $2m apart. Maybe they can give Brad Smith's salary to Johnson so that the money would be better spent.

BTW- I find it funny that you are quoting Sullivan for support when you continually bash him.

PTR

We need to re-sign Stevie Johnson because there's no better way to improve the team for the value of that contract. Looking at the roster currently under contract in 2012, our greatest need is probably WR, and Johnson is one of the better players on the market, and the best option given his familiarity with the quarterback, the coach, and the system.

We'll all be pissed as hell when he drops a big touchdown pass. It's how it goes, and it's why he's not going to get Larry Fitzgerald money, or on this market, he won't get DeSean Jackson money. He's not of that caliber. But I'll take his occasional drops over the many times Fitz will throw the ball out of the back of the end zone because Jones, Hagan, and Smith aren't open.

YES. What else are they going to do with the $20m that they have under the salary cap? What are they saving it for? The last article I read said that the two sides were approximately $2m apart. Maybe they can give Brad Smith's salary to Johnson so that the money would be better spent.

BTW- I find it funny that you are quoting Sullivan for support when you continually bash him.

Just pointing out that Jerry Sunshine has his doubts about Johnson. Good point about having $20M in reserve. I'm not saying don't sign Johnson. Just be ready for the next huge dropped pass. He's good for one every season.

I do give credit for Sully not doing a 180 on Fitz. He was the one banging the pay-the-man drum when we were 5-2, like many folks were. But now I see "CUT FITZ!" threads. Fickle, we are.

PTR

I've tended to look at the positive side of Bills personnel decisions; even when I've felt they were wrong I've given the management the benefit of the doubt.

But according to reports Johnson is asking for something around $9 million or less per year. If the Bills let him walk, then I just can't see why I should invest any more emotional energy in this godforsaken organization. For the last ten years their personnel moves have been about replacement, not improvement. They draft players. Many are busts--but every team makes mistakes. What kills me is that when they get someone who can play, even if it isn't at a pro-bowl level, they just let him go when his first contract runs out, and are on a treadmill of having to draft somebody else to replace that person.

No wonder they have no depth. This chicken**** way of running a football team is not worthy of support. Stevie, with all his flaws, is one of the few young, quality players on this team. If they let him walk because they won't pay him what another team will, I give up in disgust. I close the iron door on this ridiculous cheapskate organization.

Apparently Nix has rejected Steve Johnson's last contract proposal. What happens if we don't sign this guy. That puts us in a situation where we will need two starting WR next year along with major starters needed at LB, DE and at CB. Not to mention that they seriously need more depth at almost every position. If they don't fill some needs during free agency and resign some of there key players, this team is two or three drafts from contending.

Gailey says they need 10-12 starters and they may need a few more if they don't sign some of their key free agents. Then you couple that with the fact the Cuomo won't commit any money to improving the stadium and this team looks done.

Three straight blacked out home games this year along with two or three years more of rebuilding. More black out games to occur in the next two years based on this lousy product and this team looks primed for a move to Toronto or LA.

I honestly am not surprised that the FO is sitting back and not clamoring to get this done right away. In any negotiation, as you guys know, you ask for more than you really want. SJ has asked for 9 mill but has already indicated he wants to stay. Truth is, he probably realizes the Bills gave him his shot and he is accustomed to coaches, teammates, etc. The Bills know this and will come back with a new offer. SJ should ask for 5 or 6 mill but incorporate incentives (10 or more TD's earns another million, etc). SJ should take some of his on field creativity and apply it to his new contract....put the money where his mouth is and get paid based on performance. Either that, or agree to a two year contract with an option to renew at a higher salary if he meets certain goals during those two years....I'm sure the Bills' FO will be pleasantly surprised how well he would perform if he knew there was another 1 or 2 mill on the line.

But if they don't re-sign him, life will go on.....don't anyone go jumping off the Twin Span (did they build that damn thing yet or is it still in the Greater Erie County Niagara Tourism Enrichment Economic Council Whatchamacallit for the last twenty years??)

I've tended to look at the positive side of Bills personnel decisions; even when I've felt they were wrong I've given the management the benefit of the doubt.

But according to reports Johnson is asking for something around $9 million or less per year. If the Bills let him walk, then I just can't see why I should invest any more emotional energy in this godforsaken organization. For the last ten years their personnel moves have been about replacement, not improvement. They draft players. Many are busts--but every team makes mistakes. What kills me is that when they get someone who can play, even if it isn't at a pro-bowl level, they just let him go when his first contract runs out, and are on a treadmill of having to draft somebody else to replace that person.

No wonder they have no depth. This chicken**** way of running a football team is not worthy of support. Stevie, with all his flaws, is one of the few young, quality players on this team. If they let him walk because they won't pay him what another team will, I give up in disgust. I close the iron door on this ridiculous cheapskate organization.

I'm with you 100%. We let London Fletcher walk because he wasn't Brian Urlacher. We let Jabari Greer walk because he wasn't Darrell Revis. Our philosophy of cutting good players because they're not great is moronic. The flawed reasoning is really just a cover up for their cheapness.

I've been a season ticket holder for 6 years because, in part, no matter how bad the Bills mess up the hours between 1-4, they can't screw up the hours between 9-1. Also, I've loved the Bills since I was a kid. They are part of the fabric of the community. They mean something to our friends and families, and transcend generations of Buffalonians. But, it literally hurts watching this inferior product the past few years. Faced with 10 more years of this or not having NFL football in Buffalo, I'd choose the latter. Letting Johnson walk would just be another, in a long line of moves, that would assure our status of a Triple A team playing big league ball.

Stevie isn't worth BIG money. How many big plays has he made. Pittsburgh DROP, NY Jets DROP and Stupid DANCE. BIG money WR's make game winning TD's, and BIG catches on 3rd down. Can you remember any Stevie's made????

He is the best they have, he's young, he's been paid about as little as a player can be paid in the league(7th round contract) and he is on course for his second straight 1,000 yard season.

I am of the opinion that he is a 1A receiver not a true #1. But they need to start spending the cash on their best players and then hope that accumulating talent creates a better team even if those star players aren't transcendent ones. When a contract is up and you don't have a replacement, you gotta pay market.

I mean, if they do actually draft some All-Pro talent it will be YEARS before those rookie contracts are due. So since they shouldn't pay the stars that they don't have what is the plan to do with the savings over the next 4-5 years?

I mean, honestly, if the net profits the Bills made in the last twelve years were kept in an interest bearing account they'd have more than a quarter of a billion in cash to spend over and above their cash to the cap excuse. That is not the way it works......it gets pocketed or burned on front office faves like Chris Kelsay....so remember that when you are hypothetically saving Ralph's money for him.

I'm pretty sure they can lose without him.

Build the defense, receivers as good as Brandon Lloyd are available every year for low draft picks. Don't get distracted by fringe players when you trenches are leaky. 2 pass rushers, 1 Ilb, and 1 OT. The rest I don't care....

Stevie Johnson is a nice player, but he's 1 great catch (per game) away from being a great player.

i agree. But people need to understand this is not a WR or trench problem. The Bills are 20-30 mill BELOW THE CAP. There is NO REASON they can't sign Steve and fix the problems you mentioned. The only problem is the inability of this team to spend the money.

i agree. But people need to understand this is not a WR or trench problem. The Bills are 20-30 mill BELOW THE CAP. There is NO REASON they can't sign Steve and fix the problems you mentioned. The only problem is the inability of this team to spend the money.

Business before winning.