Going Behind The Numbers - FITZ

19td 14 ints .... Not really impressive...

But when you consider 7 of those ints came in a 3 game stretch( jets,Dallas,Dophlins).... where your go-to WR didnt practice with the team for over 2 weeks because of nagging injuries, then you lose your number 2 wr ....you dont have your starting OT, nor your backup OT, and you lose your starting Center, and to top it all off you lose the NFL Leading rusher...Oh and He took a nasty shot from London Fletcher in the Washinton game, that rocked Ritz pretty bad, and seem to have lingered with him for awhile....

But Enuff Excuses... More Number.... Previously to the 3 game stretch ... His QB rating was 98.4...behind only Rogers,Brady and Brees...completing 67% of his passes.....Behind only Rogers and Brees.....you cant just erase those 3 games........But you can look at his body of work and call those 3 games an aberration where he threw only 2 tds but 7 ints .....when in the first 7 games he only threw 7 ints....

Last week against the Jets he seem to have returned to his old self with a 116 QB rating and completing 67%.... and with Stevie Johnson finally looking healthy and explosive again...Bell returning...and Urbik providing stability at center, Brad Smith becoming a legit number 2 wr, and Spiller atleast a decent option at RB....

I look to see Fitz and the Bills finish this season strong....

When did he become a legit #2 WR? Just because he is starting or because he made one lucky tip of the ball in last weeks game?

Did you see Gailey's face light up when he was asked by the media about Smith? Fitzpatrick and Smith are starting to get some chemistry. I think he does have a legitimate shot at proving himself worthy at the #2 WR position.

Did you see Gailey's face light up when he was asked by the media about Smith? Fitzpatrick and Smith are starting to get some chemistry. I think he does have a legitimate shot at proving himself worthy at the #2 WR position.

Proving that he can be a #2, and saying he is a legit #2 right now(as the other poster implied), are two different things.

I like seeing him out there, but I couldn't help but compare his salary to what other WRs make:

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/wide-receiver/

I think he'd be 12th highest paid reciever in the league (maybe lower on this list... can't recall how much of his 4 yr/15 mil was signing bonus) as the Bills #2 WR. I guess you can look at it this way: the Bills are paying him, they might as well line him up at WR.

When did he become a legit #2 WR? Just because he is starting or because he made one lucky tip of the ball in last weeks game?

Nothing like making stuff up to prove a point that can't be proven with on-field production. Goes in line with saying CJ Spiller got better as the game wore on last week and that Merriman was improving the pass rush despite not pressuring the QB or getting sacks. Or that Hairston/Bell are now good starters.

Every game counts, not just the ones you want.

Fitz is the guy who played great against the Jets, Fitz is the guy who played lousy vs the Jets.

And he plays tough but screams like a girl.

I don't think there is a QB right now other than Aaron Rodgers who hasn't had a bad game. The entire team sucked against the Jets the first time, and the two following. He's No. 7 in TD passes, 13 in P/R, and has been sacked less than most QBs.

19td 14 ints .... Not really impressive...

But when you consider 7 of those ints came in a 3 game stretch( jets,Dallas,Dophlins).... where your go-to WR didnt practice with the team for over 2 weeks because of nagging injuries, then you lose your number 2 wr ....you dont have your starting OT, nor your backup OT, and you lose your starting Center, and to top it all off you lose the NFL Leading rusher...Oh and He took a nasty shot from London Fletcher in the Washinton game, that rocked Ritz pretty bad, and seem to have lingered with him for awhile....

But Enuff Excuses... More Number.... Previously to the 3 game stretch ... His QB rating was 98.4...behind only Rogers,Brady and Brees...completing 67% of his passes.....Behind only Rogers and Brees.....you cant just erase those 3 games........But you can look at his body of work and call those 3 games an aberration where he threw only 2 tds but 7 ints .....when in the first 7 games he only threw 7 ints....

Last week against the Jets he seem to have returned to his old self with a 116 QB rating and completing 67%.... and with Stevie Johnson finally looking healthy and explosive again...Bell returning...and Urbik providing stability at center, Brad Smith becoming a legit number 2 wr, and Spiller atleast a decent option at RB....

I look to see Fitz and the Bills finish this season strong....

+1. Great post. It drives me crazy to see so many posts from people complaining about our needing an elite QB. They barely exist. I'd love to luck into an Aaron Rodgers as much as the next guy, but Fitz is easily the best we've had since the 90s. This is the most exciting offense I've seen in years. Hardly perfect and with the odd mistake that makes me tear what's left of my hair out, but at least its exciting/competitive. Once the FO wakes up and provides some depth/support we can count on playoff runs. Success attracts better free agents and away we go. Far as I'm concerned anyone who wants to ride Fitz out of town is just not paying attention. I had actually stopped watching when Trent was playing, now I'm as involved as I was in the 90s. Far as I'm concerned that alone makes him a massive success.

Nothing like making stuff up to prove a point that can't be proven with on-field production. Goes in line with saying CJ Spiller got better as the game wore on last week and that Merriman was improving the pass rush despite not pressuring the QB or getting sacks. Or that Hairston/Bell are now good starters.

And the theory of gravity has never been proven.

Spiller did get better with more touches. Merriman did have an impact, at least for anyone who watches the game closely. And Smith so far has been a good receiver.

Every game counts, not just the ones you want.

Fitz is the guy who played great against the Jets, Fitz is the guy who played lousy vs the Jets.

Brady played lousy against the Bills too... I like Fitz's trajectory, but we're snakebitten with key injuries every year, so much that it seems we'll never see the full potential of our outstanding players (or any players for that matter)

We have had about 3 games where it was obvious our offense was failing. 3 (offense) is much better than all, minus the Redskins (defense). Fitz has played well enough to make this team a playoff team and for what we're used to he clearly is someone to build around. I could care less whether or not Fitz can lead us to a superbowl right now. I care about what we need for this team to function better and Fitz will be one of the last parts/players that will need to be replaced.

Take out the 2 picks that bounced off receivers hands vs Fish and add in the TD Sunday that was dropped and all of the sudden he's 20 TDs and 12 picks. Regardless, he's got the 5th highest completion percentage and 7th in TD passes.

Geesh you can cherry pick the what if's all you want. How about the TD pass to brad smith last sunday that had INT written all over it. Every game, every pass counts. For every "ignore the tip" INTs you can find one that was an INT until the receiver made a better play than the DB. You have to count them all.

Edited by CodeMonkey

And Smith so far has been a good receiver.

Except for the one on the sidelines that he jumped up for and the football hit him in the hands that he didn't pull in. And the last play where it hit him in the hands (tough catch but still) and the several others he's dropped during the season. He's doing as best as he probably can filling in though.

Edited by reddogblitz

Proving that he can be a #2, and saying he is a legit #2 right now(as the other poster implied), are two different things.

I'll admitt that...but everyone is missing the point....

Fitz has been a stud minus 3 games...once again you can't just erase the game....but the body of work is good

I think Fitz needs a "smith type" reciever.......meaning a big physical target but who runs better routes, has better hands, and gets open deep.

about Smith.... jets had plans on making him there 3rd wr..... he has played with two really good route running wrs .... in holmes and in johnson(who he said has helped him a lot).... he's faster...bigger and stronger than jones .... and he knew eventually he was going to shift to Wr...

All I'm saying is let's see what he does...but Fitz trust Smith probably more than he did for Jones

Picks from a deflected pass should count as half an interception. Not entirely the fault of the QB, especially when they put it on the numbers and it squeaks through for a pick.

How, then, would you "count" a touchdown that a receiver batted in the air to prevent an interception? Just curious.

How, then, would you "count" a touchdown that a receiver batted in the air to prevent an interception? Just curious.

Its all football....brady,rogers,montana who hasn't always thrown best passed and all of them have had passing that turned into ints that wasn't there fault.... the point of this post was Fitz has had a really good a season.... and with 5 games left a december run wouldn't surprise me

Edited by EldaBillsFan

I have 5 bucks, F$tzmonies won't be starting for the Buffalo Bills next season...look into the stats of him throwing the ball over 30 yards...

You're living up to your member name. I'll take that action and ask you to add a couple zeroes on the end of it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 32 games 13W 19L

Trent Edwards: 32 games 14W 18L

Its no about yds, TD, QB Rating or stupid espn's new stat. is about Ws

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-passing.htm

I give credit for the Jets road win in 2009 to Fitz. Sure Trent started, but he went out injured in the first half while we were down by 3. So if you swap those, it's

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 32 games 14W 18L

Trent Edwards: 32 games 13W 19L

But really who cares, both records suck. Of course if a certain receiver had not dropped 2 game winners, Fitz would be 16-16. But, QB can't win or lose it by himself.

Not a fitz lover but think he is not the issue...

3rd all time in yards per game behind kelly and bledsoe

5th all time in TD's

TD % only .1 behind kelly who is at a 5

Wins and loses are a team stat not just a QB stat...

Here is a fun fact at Fitz current TD per game rate he would outpace kelly by 3 Td's playing the same amount of games...So is he now the MVP and franchise guy to lead us to 4 straight AFC titles ? ? C'mon MAN !!!

Not a fitz lover but think he is not the issue...

3rd all time in yards per game behind kelly and bledsoe

5th all time in TD's

TD % only .1 behind kelly who is at a 5

Wins and loses are a team stat not just a QB stat...

Here is a fun fact at Fitz current TD per game rate he would outpace kelly by 3 Td's playing the same amount of games...So is he now the MVP and franchise guy to lead us to 4 straight AFC titles ? ? C'mon MAN !!!

:thumbsup:

You forgot:

Jim Kelly: 32 games 14W 18L

p.s. you're an idiot.

Hmmm....so Trent is the next Jim Kelly!

Anyway, didn't Fitz have 12 starts in Cincy and a handful in St Lou? Are those not counted? Trenty had zero starts--until he started for the Bills...

Now go back and look at all the crap teams the guy was a back up on Rams-Bengals-Bills

Consider the injuries this years and last years Bills teams, to the WR corps, the O lines! Now consider in 13 games last year 3000 yards 23 TD's-15 INT's. This season 2,549 yards passing with 64.0 completion %

Now try and consider what this team would look like with Trent Edwards still at QB, with Tyler Thigpin at QB, when both those 2 would need more then 3 seconds to find the open receiver. Trent Edwards had a quicker release then Fitz does, but what good does it do if he can't find the open receiver and hit him with the ball?

If this HC & GM ever decide to build a proper O line, this Bills team could easily make the playoffs with Fitz at QB