Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

No matter how stupid Burress was shooting himself in the leg...Maybe it's something you joke with your buddy's about over a beer...as an end-zone celebration it was SO classless to me...)

I have not seen this point made yet on here, but I agree. I think anything another player does ON THE FIELDcould be open to trash talking. I saw a guy that sacked Aaron Rodgers imitate the belt thing (which is dumb too). I thought that was funny. But to mimic someone for something bad they did to themselves or happened to them OFF THE FIELD should be off limits by anyone with any degree of "sportsmanship".

Reminds me of basketball fans who trash talk a guy who's child died or who's father got killed by the PLO. I would hope a Buffalo Bills player would have more sense of dignity than those fans.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those saying let him walk, he's not going anywhere. Fitzpatrick has been resigned to a big contract and Stevie is his Andre Reed. He's here for the long term, case closed. BTW, this team doesn't need any more big holes to fill. They have quite enough of them right now.

The difference is of course that Andre Reed caught the big passes in the big game when Jimbo threw them to him.

I wouldn't be so sure that "he's not going anywhere." Coach Gailey, since he got here, has said he wants to replace the culture of losing with a culture of winning. The team needs to learn how to win the games at the end when we have a chance. Twice now Steve Johnson has been the guy to lose the big game at the end and prolong the culture of losing and preventing the rest of the guys who played well in the clutch (like Fitz, the OLine, the other WRs, the defense,etc)the opportunity to win. Coach Gailey gets judged on one thing. WINS. If he's got a player who continues to hurt the team's chances to win, said player might need to go.

When is StevIe going to drop the next big one or make the next bone headed excessive celebration penalty? Next year when we're playing for the division title in the last game of the season? Does Coach Gailey want to take that chance? I don't. Loud mouth receivers with bad hands are a dime a dozen.

I remember people around here crowing how horrible it was we didn't re sign Josh Reed.

Edited by reddogblitz

The difference is of course that Andre Reed caught the big passes in the big game when Jimbo threw them to him.

I wouldn't be so sure that "he's not going anywhere." Coach Gailey, since he got here, has said he wants to replace the culture of losing with a culture of winning. The team needs to learn how to win the games at the end when we have a chance. Twice now Steve Johnson has been the guy to lose the big game at the end and prolong the culture of losing and preventing the rest of the guys who played well in the clutch (like Fitz, the OLine, the other WRs, the defense,etc)the opportunity to win. Coach Gailey gets judged on one thing. WINS. If he's got a player who continues to hurt the team's chances to win, said player might need to go.

When is StevIe going to drop the next big one or make the next bone headed excessive celebration penalty? Next year when we're playing for the division title in the last game of the season? Does Coach Gailey want to take that chance? I don't. Loud mouth receivers with bad hands are a dime a dozen.

I remember people around here crowing how horrible it was we didn't re sign Josh Reed.

I don't think you understand how good Stevie Johnson is. Comparing him to Josh Reed is simply and utterly ridiculous.

As for his comparisons to Andre Reed, he dropped plenty of balls and his helmet slam in the Superbowl was ten times more stupid than what Stevie did against the Jets. In their first two seasons as full season starters, Stevie beats Andre in both TDs and receptions and Stevie's 2nd season still has 5 games left.

If Gailey wants to screw his and his QB's chances for the playoffs next season then don't sign Stevie Johnson and hope and pray that a #1 receiver drops out of the sky. I think that Stevie actually has more talent than Andre. Stevie reminds me of Chris Carter, a guy was immature in the beginning but who's uncoverable when he's on his game and healthy. He does need to start making the big game winning plays though. He'll get plenty of chances and I think that him and Fitzpatrick do some major damage these last few games.

Edited by 1billsfan

Re-watch Super Bowl XXV and get back to us on this point.

Not to mention the helmet throw, and bumping an official which was a huge penalty in the WC game that flutie lost against miami.

Plaxico: 34-479-7 (3 games with 60+ yards)

Stevie: 54-622-5 (5 games with 60+ yards)

Not exactly "3 times the season" Stevie is having.

Also, Stevie in 2010 went 82-1073-10. 11th in yards, 11th in receptions, T-7th in TDs. By any measure, Stevie was performing at your mythical "#1" WR level last season. Unless the entire NFL only has 10 "#1" WRs.

Not sure what a "mythical #1" is, but it isn't stats that determine who the number #1 WR on a team is, it is the offense run and who the defense considers the #1, and last year it sure wasn't Johnson.

Not sure what a "mythical #1" is, but it isn't stats that determine who the number #1 WR on a team is, it is the offense run and who the defense considers the #1, and last year it sure wasn't Johnson.

Um, no. The team's "Number 1" receiver is, quite simply, their primary target in the passing game.

Last year, it was Johnson. He was targeted 143 times; the next closest WR on the team was Lee Evans with 82 targets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/year/2010/qualified/false'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/year/2010/qualified/false

This year, it is still Johnson. He's been targeted 87 times; the next closest WR on the team is David Nelson with 62 targets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

If you think otherwise, you are watching a different game than the rest of the breathing world (which, based on the reading of your posts, is perfectly conceivable). But by all means, continue on with business as usual--you know, not letting the facts get in the way of your ranting.

Um, no. The team's "Number 1" receiver is, quite simply, their primary target in the passing game.

Last year, it was Johnson. He was targeted 143 times; the next closest WR on the team was Lee Evans with 82 targets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/year/2010/qualified/false'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets/year/2010/qualified/false

This year, it is still Johnson. He's been targeted 87 times; the next closest WR on the team is David Nelson with 62 targets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

If you think otherwise, you are watching a different game than the rest of the breathing world (which, based on the reading of your posts, is perfectly conceivable). But by all means, continue on with business as usual--you know, not letting the facts get in the way of your ranting.

That is your idea of the subject, when all that really matters is who the defense considers the #1 receiver and who they put the double team on, and last year it was for the most part Lee Evans, which led to Johnson putting up the numbers he did. Not sure if you have been a Bills fan for more then a year or two, but do you remember the numbers Peerless Price put up as Moulds #2? How did he do in Atlanta as a #1? Exactly. (Yawn)

That is your idea of the subject, when all that really matters is who the defense considers the #1 receiver and who they put the double team on, and last year it was for the most part Lee Evans, which led to Johnson putting up the numbers he did. Not sure if you have been a Bills fan for more then a year or two, but do you remember the numbers Peerless Price put up as Moulds #2? How did he do in Atlanta as a #1? Exactly. (Yawn)

If you want to make that argument, how about this for a parallel?

Not sure if you actually watched the team last year, but do you remember the numbers Lee Evans put up as Johnson's supposed #1? How is he doing in Baltimore as a #2? Exactly. (Yawn)

Once again, you can ignore the facts all you want, but don't be surprised when you get called out.

If you want to make that argument, how about this for a parallel?

Not sure if you actually watched the team last year, but do you remember the numbers Lee Evans put up as Johnson's supposed #1? How is he doing in Baltimore as a #2? Exactly. (Yawn)

Once again, you can ignore the facts all you want, but don't be surprised when you get called out.

You go ahead and live by stats alone. The Chargers were the #1 offense and #1 defense in 2010 and didn't make the playoffs. Stats are overrated and just something for people that don't really know the game to judge things buy. Evans has been hurt this year, but if you were stretching to prove your point, you would know that has nothing to do with last season.

You go ahead and live by stats alone. The Chargers were the #1 offense and #1 defense in 2010 and didn't make the playoffs. Stats are overrated and just something for people that don't really know the game to judge things buy. Evans has been hurt this year, but if you were stretching to prove your point, you would know that has nothing to do with last season.

So you think the QB rating is overrated? Come on - Don't be so black and white on this - Stats are very useful when put into context and not treated as the "end all and be all" of the discussion.

Is this really 23 pages of Stevie Johnson? I mean really? Over and end-zone celebration? Really? Has anybody else demolished revis this year? I bet he needs to play corner too? I bet he needs to be a better pass rusher too? Can he pass to himself cuz he sure sucks at that. He needs to be a better blocker for himself at quarterback because if Stevie can't block for himself then i don't think anybody can. He should learn to kick the ball farther than 4 yards too. Oh and since fred is gone id call more run plays for Stevie out the backfield cuz he is our best offensive player. Point being the man can't do it all yes he drops passes but who doesn't yes he needs to get better in clutch plays but he's like 25 he can get better. Celebration dances are all good and fun get off the man for that cuz you were laughing when he did it to he just can't do that many if he woulda scored again (if fitzgarbage hit him in the end zone which everybody forgets) he coulda done it again. And y'all would have loved it cuz we won but we lost so y'all jocking Stevie. Once again its not Stevie fault we get a bum a$$ kicker who was working at kinko's that can't hit a sqib kick more than 4 yards.

The AP, citing a person familiar with the NFL's disciplinary decision, is reporting Johnson has been fined $10,000 by the league.

jw

Stevie posted the pic of his fine showing up in his locker earlier today...

Caption: "S/o to the Random FedEx Package in My Locker"

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384668_10150399231889514_109757684513_8263455_56177325_n.jpg

So you think the QB rating is overrated? Come on - Don't be so black and white on this - Stats are very useful when put into context and not treated as the "end all and be all" of the discussion.

Some stats are useful, but to determine everything based on stats is ridiculous. If you went by stats alone the Broncos would be 0-6 in Tebows starts, not 5-1. Just one of many examples.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384668_10150399231889514_109757684513_8263455_56177325_n.jpg

It is more then obvious by this picture that he is never going learn from his mistakes. Time to say So Long to the Ocho Stinko Jr.

Is this really 23 pages of Stevie Johnson? I mean really? Over and end-zone celebration? Really? Has anybody else demolished revis this year? I bet he needs to play corner too? I bet he needs to be a better pass rusher too? Can he pass to himself cuz he sure sucks at that. He needs to be a better blocker for himself at quarterback because if Stevie can't block for himself then i don't think anybody can. He should learn to kick the ball farther than 4 yards too. Oh and since fred is gone id call more run plays for Stevie out the backfield cuz he is our best offensive player. Point being the man can't do it all yes he drops passes but who doesn't yes he needs to get better in clutch plays but he's like 25 he can get better. Celebration dances are all good and fun get off the man for that cuz you were laughing when he did it to he just can't do that many if he woulda scored again (if fitzgarbage hit him in the end zone which everybody forgets) he coulda done it again. And y'all would have loved it cuz we won but we lost so y'all jocking Stevie. Once again its not Stevie fault we get a bum a$$ kicker who was working at kinko's that can't hit a sqib kick more than 4 yards.

Speak for yourself.

i hear he already wrote a song..."stevie gettin fined stacks".....will be performing thursday night at purple monkey on chippewa....then call in sick for practice on friday.

So let me get this straight: the guy that wants to completely ignore the FACTS regarding # targets, preferring instead to make suppositions regarding who other teams game plan for (since there's no way on earth you know what the opponents' game plan is regardless of what you watch on gamedays) and use it as the sole barometer for determining Buffalo's #1 receiver thinks that I'm stretching my point?

That's truly amazing...confounding logic, really.

You are basically making up your own definition for what constitutes a #1 receiver that is pretty much derived from the desire to say that Johnson doesn't qualify. It's really quite simple: guy that QB looks to most often = No. 1 receiver. You mean to tell me that a guy that nearly doubled the # of targets of the next most productive WR last season was not the #1, simply because you assume he was double-covered more often? Really? If the guy you're calling the #1 last year was a #1 receiver, he'd beat a double-team often enough to get more than 57% of the targets that the supposed #2 receiver got. I can't believe that a rational person would disagree with that notion.

Look, stats may not tell the entire story, especially as it relates to wins and losses. I suppose, at this point, it's worth noting that the offensive/defensive rankings per the NFL are based on yards amassed/allowed alone, and not points scored/allowed. If you paid attention to anything besides the first line you read on NFL.com, you'd know that San Diego's "No. 1" defense actually finished 10th in the league in points/game allowed (I assume you at least recognize that points matter more than yards). But go ahead and keep thinking that it's the rest of us that don't know what to judge things by. But I digress, while stats may not tell the entire story, when there's a massive divergence between two players in telling statistics like # of targets, # of receptions, touchdowns, etc., and the coaching staff feels compelled enough by the respective performance of the two players to trade one of them for a mid-round pick, that should tell you everything you need to know to make an intelligent observation regarding who the team considered their #1 target.

I suppose there's no point in arguing this further, as I believe that the facts speak for themselves.

Some stats are useful, but to determine everything based on stats is ridiculous. If you went by stats alone the Broncos would be 0-6 in Tebows starts, not 5-1. Just one of many examples.

It is more then obvious by this picture that he is never going learn from his mistakes. Time to say So Long to the Ocho Stinko Jr.

hahahahahahaa WOW

http://a6.sphotos.ak..._56177325_n.jpg

I'm still a bit sore at him for not owning any part of the dropped passes… but I'm glad to see he's not wallowing in despair and self-hatred.

I wanna see Stevie strong and happy and to look back on last week's game as a big positive turning point in his career.

bull ****. His celebration cost us nothing. If dave friggin rayner can hit a kickoff like any other kicker in the NFL, the jets have a much more difficult time in scoring. Blaming stevie for the kickoff is asinine, and a sign of trollish behavior from someone who doesn't understand a bit about football.

You do know that Stevie blamed that TD on himself, right?

So now Stevie's a troll who doesn't understand a bit about football? Well, you might be right about that.

Why put a backup kicker in this position in the first place? Because Stevie is a selfish clown and not a team player.

This is on HIM!

And he set up the Jets with really good defense for our horrid defense too. It would have been good field position even if Rain Man nails that kick.

I'm still a bit sore at him for not owning any part of the dropped passes… but I'm glad to see he's not wallowing in despair and self-hatred.

I wanna see Stevie strong and happy and to look back on last week's game as a big positive turning point in his career.

This.

Though I don't think he's a "despair and self-hatred" kind of guy.

I am wondering why he took the Bills background off his Twitter page. Not sure it's a bad thing, if it means he's trying more to separate his Bills job from his off-field enterprises, be a wild 'n crazy guy off field and a bit more business on it.

Ah. There's some truth to the point that stats require intelligent interpretation. One must understand what a stat means and what its predictive value is.

For example, while the 1010 Chargers were #1 in YARDS gained on offense and YARDS given up on defense (the default sort on nfl.com), they were 10th in the league on points given up, 2nd or 3rd in points scored, and 4th or 5th in 3rd down conversion on offense. It's not a huge surprise that a team that doesn't convert well on 3rd downs AND doesn't keep the other team from scoring points, would not win enough games to earn a playoff appearance.

On the other hand, to dismiss stats as "just something for people that don't really know the game to judge things buy(sic)" is simply silly. Sites like "Cold Hard Football Facts" charge a fee for their customized statistics precisely because they have demonstrated predictive value to people who want to put their money on the line betting on games.

As a grad student, I kept myself in beverages with beer-bets on football games with custodial staff that had played and fancied their football knowledge, hee hee.

I would cherry-pick the stats intelligently and drink up on a regular basis.

The only time I lost was when I went with my heart and bet on the Bills :bag:. Then it was "Beer on Hopeful"

LeBron just can't stand not being in the news and/or on SportsCenter. "Lebron's Flag Football Classic"? Really? That's almost as bad as the Obama Basketball Classic. Can anyone do anything privately or quietly any more?

:thumbdown:

LeBron just can't stand not being in the news and/or on SportsCenter. "Lebron's Flag Football Classic"? Really? That's almost as bad as the Obama Basketball Classic. Can anyone do anything privately or quietly any more?

:thumbdown:

Professional Athletes are, themselves, corporations. Corporations have teams of PR, Marketing, and Advertising people to make sure their product stays in the spotlight and in demand.

So no, high profile professional athletes can NOT do anything privately or quietly anymore. And Im sure more than a few would love to be able to.

You can blame it on the athlete. You can blame it on their agent/people. But they wouldnt do it if there wasnt a market for it, so you can also blame the fans that spend their free time scouring the sporting news outlets and discussing every move to death on message boards... 0:)