Spiller

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post kills me..."Time for him to step up!!"

This statement makes it seem like he has been holding back - he has another gear - he can play better. Oh - good - can't wait to see him step up!!

My take on Spiller is this: If you look at his college highlight real - most of his big runs were sweeps to the outside - he had enough speed to get to the outside and once there - he had one defender to beat and used his speed. Can't do that in the NFL - he doesn't know how to run in traffic - which is what FJ does well. This is why the Bills use him in screens and pass plays - put him in positions where he can try to use his speed - he lacks traffic skills.

I live in EA and watched Kelso's kid play little loop - at age 9 kid knew how to use his blockers - he would follow/wait and then hit the hole (FJ)....that is not Spiller.

Spiller doesn't have a "step up" - he is what he is.

Jets #1 goal will be to stop FredEx. Chan needs to have a plan for CJ, and CJ needs to show something this week.

Yep I agree. Revis takes away SJ and the Jets stack the box to stop FJ. Get Spiller in open broken field and let him uses his speed and moves.

for him to step up!!!!!!

It is far from a secret to regulars here how I felt about this draft selection. Well, the jets are a very physical team that plays a sophisticated defense. They are a hard team to overpower, and they will be blitzing.

I can't think of a better opportunity for Spiller to run between the tackles and past blitzing linebackers (who are very good). We used a #9 on him. 24 games into his career, I would like to see some real dividends. If Spiller and yes Smith can confuse the jets defense, we can put the rest of what we do into effect and win this football game.

The jets are good but I don't think that they can win a shootout with us at home. C'mon CJ, prove me wrong! Take over a football game and win it for the Buffalo Bills and us fans!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are well acquainted with my position on CJ. He's not the player I would have preferred (my preference would have been to trade down and acquire multiple picks) but I have no problem with the pick as you already know. He was a top ten rated player who was drafted in the vicintiy of his ranking. That is a drafting philosophy that over time will prove to be successeful.

CJ is not a workhorse player like Freddy J is, and he will never be. What he is is a big play player. He has explosive speed that he has on a very limited basis demonstrated. Whether as a receiver, on punt returns or as a back I see Gailey using him a little bit more in this very critical conference game. Sometimes a speedburner like CJ makes an impact even when he doesn't get the ball because the defense has to account for him.

I've suggested patience against your predilections toward CJ since he was drafted. Ultimately, I feel confident that the CJ pick will turn out to be a quality pick for us.

On a side note I also see the creative Gailey using Brad Smith more than usual in this upcoming game.

agreed. he's due. sunday it's time for him to break out. agree with everyone. energy will be focused on stevie and freddie. that leaves spiller open to quick passes, slants and screens and let his god given speed take over from there.

go cj. go bills.

Bill,

I just don't see Spiller getting enough carries.

I think it will be a big surprise if they can do a couple of reverses and putting him in space to have big gains after a quick catch. And if they have to cover Spiller, then there will be a mismatch for either Nelson or Chandler (or even for Roosvelt) that they can use to their advantage.

I am hoping Spiller has a breakout game.

for him to step up!!!!!!

It is far from a secret to regulars here how I felt about this draft selection. Well, the jets are a very physical team that plays a sophisticated defense. They are a hard team to overpower, and they will be blitzing.

I can't think of a better opportunity for Spiller to run between the tackles and past blitzing linebackers (who are very good). We used a #9 on him. 24 games into his career, I would like to see some real dividends. If Spiller and yes Smith can confuse the jets defense, we can put the rest of what we do into effect and win this football game.

The jets are good but I don't think that they can win a shootout with us at home. C'mon CJ, prove me wrong! Take over a football game and win it for the Buffalo Bills and us fans!!!!!

Fred should get lots of touches and that makes Spiller's chances to run from scrimmage less.

I too am looking for the day that Spiller becomes a play maker. Maybe this week as a receiver that Revis or Cromartie are not covering. Chan has to find a way to utilize this guy.

This post kills me..."Time for him to step up!!"

This statement makes it seem like he has been holding back - he has another gear - he can play better. Oh - good - can't wait to see him step up!!

My take on Spiller is this: If you look at his college highlight real - most of his big runs were sweeps to the outside - he had enough speed to get to the outside and once there - he had one defender to beat and used his speed. Can't do that in the NFL - he doesn't know how to run in traffic - which is what FJ does well. This is why the Bills use him in screens and pass plays - put him in positions where he can try to use his speed - he lacks traffic skills.

I live in EA and watched Kelso's kid play little loop - at age 9 kid knew how to use his blockers - he would follow/wait and then hit the hole (FJ)....that is not Spiller.

Spiller doesn't have a "step up" - he is what he is.

Huh??

What is EA?

Who is Kelso's kid?

What is little loop?

Are you comparing Spiller to a 9 year old?

I had the same thought Bill. I love Freddy - we all do - and there's no denying that he's the focal point of the offense. But Rex knows how to take away the focal point of the other team's offense, and I'm hoping Chan is planning to switch things up a bit on offense (without outsmarting himself like Mularkey used to do). The Jets' aggressive blitz system is exploitable by having a lightening-quick RB who can burn through the holes created by blitzing players. Fred is amazing, but speed is not his greatest asset. This is definitely a game where Spiller could be featured successfully.

for him to step up!!!!!!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/137912-cj-spiller-vs-the-jets/

How is a 2nd year player playing behind maybe the best all-around rb in the league a bust? We draft spliier to be explosive so so if he becomes explosive at wr ...so be it....btw: 51 yard pi call this past Sunday that set up an scoring opportunity...also the ball was under thrown....and cj had his man beat.....

How is a 2nd year player playing behind maybe the best all-around rb in the league a bust? We draft spliier to be explosive so so if he becomes explosive at wr ...so be it....btw: 51 yard pi call this past Sunday that set up an scoring opportunity...also the ball was under thrown....and cj had his man beat.....

It's idiotic when people say that. Spiller is averaging 7.1 ypc. He simply doesn't get enough touches because FJax has become Marshall Faulk (and isn't a douche like MF).

While he hasn't broken out, Spiller has made some key plays this season. I think he has tons of talent. But does anyone want to take the ball out of Freddie's hands at this point?