Brandon Lloyd In Buffalo?

Sniper

Yeah I saw what he did in 2009 with Orton, which was sit the bench because Jabar Gaffney outplayed him. This is a guy who got flat out CUT in Washington because he was terrible. They even had to eat $5.5 million and they still cut him lol.

The bottom line is that this guy is not that talented, and accumulated many of his yards last year in garbage time when the Broncos were getting blown out.

I don't think it's insane to want someone better than Naaman Roosevelt (who looked good last game). But those that want to sign him to a long term deal or give up a draft pick for him are nuts.

Yeah it had nothing to do with Jim Zorn's amazing offense right? Or the amazing Jason Cambell's entry to the NFL? The same Redskins that spent 154 mil on Haynesworth and Hall? Sure, blame that on Lloyd.

I am not sure where your anti-Lloyd hatred comes from, but it's a little over the top. It sounds like you never actually watched the guy play.

Even with the Bronco's offense struggling as they are, he still has more yards than Jones, Nelson or any other of "Bills #2's". His 14.9 ypc is 2.6 better than any Bill on the roster, for his career it is 15.8. He also has far better hands than our stone handed receiving core (Nelson excluded). Hate him all you want, but he would make our team better. SJ is good, but we need another downfield weapon to keep this thing going, especially with the way our D is getting gashed. Naaman is a nice depth possession guy, not a number 2.

I am not saying give away a high draft pick, or sign him to a huge contract (not like we don't have the cap space). But look into it, he would make us better.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just throwing this out there. I, like many of you I'm guessing, have seen LLoyd in interviews about his breakout season last year. He is extremley well spoken and humble, also with him being cut from teams and working hard for his success I think he would fit in very well with our whole "Goon squad" misfit vibe. Just my 2 cents.

I am just throwing this out there. I, like many of you I'm guessing, have seen LLoyd in interviews about his breakout season last year. He is extremley well spoken and humble, also with him being cut from teams and working hard for his success I think he would fit in very well with our whole "Goon squad" misfit vibe. Just my 2 cents.

Well said, and we agree.

Should be an interesting Monday/Tuesday huh?

I am not sure where your anti-Lloyd hatred comes from, but it's a little over the top. It sounds like you never actually watched the guy play.

Look, I don't hate the guy, I'm just calling it as I see it. One good year out of eight. 30 years old. Contract year. Those are facts. And I have actually seen him play, in 3 games last year - vs San Diego, Baltimore and Indy. In each of those games he looked good, but piled up most of his yards underneath, against soft prevent defenses late in the game. He does have great hands, and he will make highlight reel catches. I also think the era of six-foot 180lb #1 and #2 receivers is long over.

Look, I don't hate the guy, I'm just calling it as I see it. One good year out of eight. 30 years old. Contract year. Those are facts. And I have actually seen him play, in 3 games last year - vs San Diego, Baltimore and Indy. In each of those games he looked good, but piled up most of his yards underneath, against soft prevent defenses late in the game. He does have great hands, and he will make highlight reel catches. I also think the era of six-foot 180lb #1 and #2 receivers is long over.

Now that's a reasonable description of the guy, won't argue those points one bit. I personally would like to have him, at the right price. Our WR's behind SJ really worry me, I think a solid #2 could make us a real contender. To your point the guy hasn't shown the consistency yet to warrant a huge contract or high draft pick, so I'm hoping they can wheel and deal. Our team has done pretty well with what we have so far, so hopefully we will be alright either way.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I don't mind his age at all, I just question the reliability of his hands. Seems like the dropsies are contagious sometimes, and I don't want dropped balls to be a tumor in the locker room. -Which brings me to my next point. The chemistry in our locker room is good right now. No sense bringing in some "salty" older guy who may or may not be happy with his new "arrangements". If it was at the beginning of the season, I'd be all for it. The guys would have had a chance to gel, and there'd be no awkwardness. So far I like what we've got. maybe sign another guy from the practice squad.

Edited by #34fan

I would do it for a 4th - so in essence, we would have traded Evans for Lloyd. Lloyd is more versatile, bigger, stronger, and he can still stretch the field (which is what the Bills need most right now). And even if it is only for this season--he'll be a free agent--worry about next year next year; plus, all the injured people will be back.

This is the key. Stretching the field. Lloyd's longest pass reception in the last 3 years has been 44 yards or more.

Would the Bills be drafting a field-stretching WR in the first 4 rounds in 2012? Possibly, especially with Easley's heart condition. What if you got a tried and true WR (11 TD's in 2010 and 15 ypc over the last 3 years) and could still have a pick in each round?

If not for the current rash of injuries we have at the WR position, we would not be even having this conversation.

IMO- we should only be making a trade if, as Buddy says, it makes sense for the betterment of the team.

Yes, injuries have created a problem at the WR position. But as others have raised, he is 30. Granted, a 30 year old WR usually has more gas in the tank than a 30 year old running back (Freddy notwithstanding), as they simply don't take the same pounding by the same big bodies that RB's do.

But I'm more concerned about short-changing the future in order to save today.

"Brandon Lloyd, who is rumored to be on the trade block in Denver, has dropped only one pass in 32 targets this season.

ESPN's Mike Sando suggests the Rams as a fit. Not only is St. Louis OC Josh McDaniels familiar with Lloyd, the Rams' receivers lead the league in dropped passes with 12, despite having an early bye. According to Pro Football Focus, Lloyd had only four drops all last season, on 147 targets that ranked fourth in the NFL. For a deep threat, Lloyd has awfully good hands.'

Don't talk unless you know the facts. We could really use this guy he's a FOOTBALL player and Chan loves him some of those. He would be a great fit in this offense and would allow us to stretch the field as well and just throw jump balls we couldn't before this would be a hugeeeeee get for us.

and ndirish- I think that quote was during the rebuilding process when your on the edge of being good to elite and can maybe help that along with a 4th round pick, you make the move

"Brandon Lloyd, who is rumored to be on the trade block in Denver, has dropped only one pass in 32 targets this season.

ESPN's Mike Sando suggests the Rams as a fit. Not only is St. Louis OC Josh McDaniels familiar with Lloyd, the Rams' receivers lead the league in dropped passes with 12, despite having an early bye. According to Pro Football Focus, Lloyd had only four drops all last season, on 147 targets that ranked fourth in the NFL. For a deep threat, Lloyd has awfully good hands.'

Don't talk unless you know the facts. We could really use this guy he's a FOOTBALL player and Chan loves him some of those. He would be a great fit in this offense and would allow us to stretch the field as well and just throw jump balls we couldn't before this would be a hugeeeeee get for us.

and ndirish- I think that quote was during the rebuilding process when your on the edge of being good to elite and can maybe help that along with a 4th round pick, you make the move

Well said. With the news of Wayne being available too, it's a buyers market. I think we offer a 4th, and watch us land a veteran WR.

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety but FWIW, espn just announced that Lloyd is on the block officially and Denver is said to be requesting between a 3-5th for him.

If we can take our extra 4th for him een if it's for the year and he becomes a FA at the end of it, it's a no brained. Best case scenario, we use him like a stud and he takes our offense to even greater heights. Worst case je becomes a @sshole and a cancer and we cut his @ss while only giving away an extra 4th.

The problem is that Buddy Nix thinks of a 4th round draft pick like most fans, including myself, think of a high second round draft pick. I doubt he would even think of giving up a #4 for Lloyd.

Much more likely that its the fans' valuation of the 4th rounder that is miscalibrated, not Buddy's.

Much more likely that its the fans' valuation of the 4th rounder that is miscalibrated, not Buddy's.

Perhaps. It's really just a school of thought. Other GMs, very successful ones, don't value them as much as Buddy does, although they all value them a lot. Buddy comes from being a scout. That's his career. He values draft picks more than other GMs. To me, if you look at not only the Bills #4 draft choices over the years, but the league as a whole, it's a terrible percentage of good players.

Buddy, I'd imagine, would say we got a helluva player in Chris Hairston, and a helluva player in Marcus Easley, who was just unfortunate.

I don't disagree with your sentiment. However, I don't believe he conditioned the statement and I really don't see the trade coming. They keep talking up Naaman and have indicated Brad Smith will be playing a lot more receiver. We have gotten more production out of our late rd draft picks and UDFAs than we have our early ones. We drafted Hairston and Searcy in this year's 4th rd and Easley last year. I don't believe Nix is willing to trade away young prospects, even for a receiver in his prime. Again, I would like to bring him in myself, just not convinced we'll do that. We've all seen the national media's ignorance when it comes to this team in the past. Most likely, they saw we have 2 guys on IR, Jones is out for 4-6 and assumed we needed a WR so they reported we are interested. But, I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by ndirish1978

I don't disagree with your sentiment. However, I don't believe he conditioned the statement and I really don't see the trade coming. They keep talking up Naaman and have indicated Brad Smith will be playing a lot more receiver. We have gotten more production out of our late rd draft picks and IDFAs than we have our early ones. We drafted Hairston and Searcy in this year's 4th rd and Easley last year. I don't believe Nix is willing to trade away young prospects, even for a receiver in his prime. Again, I would like to bring him in myself, just not convinced we'll do that. We've all seen the national media's ignorance when it comes to this team in the past. Most likely, they saw we have 2 guys on IR, Jones is out for 4-6 and assumed we needed a WR so they reported we are interested. But, I hope I'm wrong.

Has anyone officially seen any other teams besides the Titans and Rams? Who the hell are the other two? I hope we are in this conversation.

Float out a conditional 4th that bumps up to a 3rd if the Bills make the playoffs. No more then that if Gailey feels its a fit go for it but it would clearly be a rental and giving up a gauranteed third or more would be too much.

I don't think Denver would take a 4th and I don't think a conditional 4th that could turn into a 3rd would be much better. But its the only logical offer you could make them.

Perhaps. It's really just a school of thought. Other GMs, very successful ones, don't value them as much as Buddy does, although they all value them a lot. Buddy comes from being a scout. That's his career. He values draft picks more than other GMs. To me, if you look at not only the Bills #4 draft choices over the years, but the league as a whole, it's a terrible percentage of good players.

Buddy, I'd imagine, would say we got a helluva player in Chris Hairston, and a helluva player in Marcus Easley, who was just unfortunate.

There isn't one successful GM that doesn't value draft picks.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi strongly believes that Brandon Lloyd will be traded prior to Tuesday's deadline.

"What I find humorous, is that they said they'll take a 3, 4, or 5 (round draft pick)," said Lombardi on Around the League Friday. "Well if I was a general manager, why would I offer anything but a sixth-round pick for the guy." Lombardi named Tennessee, Carolina, and St. Louis as possible destinations. "I think there's a 90 percent chance he's not a Bronco (next week). They should have traded him before the season started."

rotoworld

offer a 5th or 6th imo, we r not going to resign him

I don't see that happening. Even if it did I think I'd still rather have Lloyd. There is no doubt Wayne has talent, but is he really THAT good? Or were all of his great stats a result of being Manning's receiver for his whole career?...

I think Lloyd is more well rounded, and would fit in perfectly to our offense.

Are you serious? Wayne is a borderline HOF candidate, has 7 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and over 800 catches for his career. Lloyd had 260 catches and one, 1,000 yard season.

I changed my mind about him, he's averaging 5 catches and 70 yards a game in a bad offense. Although hes not gettin in the end zone that could change

He could help in the run for the playoffs, then re-evaluate at years end depending on how things go with Easley and Stevie, for the right price. Although if for some strange reason the Colts were ready to sever ties with RW that would be option #1.

Not really, esp. if we get rid of our later 4th round pick. Few players drafted that late have gone onto have the sucess Lloyd has.

Buddy does this professionally. He is far more qualified to appraise the value of a pick than some internet message board mob.

I don't like the idea. The Bills are in need of a deep threat; however pull from what we have. The players have been stepping up since last year. If you bring in a Lloyd or Wanye in the middle of the season you are basically telling the team no one on the squad is good enough to step up. The way this team is designed, that would destroy the confidence of the team.

I don't like the idea. The Bills are in need of a deep threat; however pull from what we have. The players have been stepping up since last year. If you bring in a Lloyd or Wanye in the middle of the season you are basically telling the team no one on the squad is good enough to step up. The way this team is designed, that would destroy the confidence of the team.

Not really, to me it says-

we have been hit hard at WR with inijuries,

we also think we have a team here that can make a run into the playoffs.

Oh and by the way we haven't been to the playoffs in over a decade. Wouldn't it be nice to give our fans something to cheer about in January?

To who? The rest of the team working its butt off to win?

Do you care if Ruvell Martin's skills are questioned?

We have 3 HURT RECEIVERS.

Shirley, you can't be serious? And yes, I will call you Shirley.

Not really, to me it says-

we have been hit hard at WR with inijuries,

we also think we have a team here that can make a run into the playoffs.

Oh and by the way we haven't been to the playoffs in over a decade. Wouldn't it be nice to give our fans something to cheer about in January?

To who? The rest of the team working its butt off to win?

Do you care if Ruvell Martin's skills are questioned?

We have 3 HURT RECEIVERS.

Shirley, you can't be serious? And yes, I will call you Shirley.

The confidence and chemistry of this team has been very carefully crafted. Bringing in any new guy, particularly a veteran in the middle of the season, always carries this kind of risk. That doesn't mean that we absolutely shouldn't do it, just that its a concern that we can only hope Buddy is taking more seriously than you guys are.

The confidence and chemistry of this team has been very carefully crafted. Bringing in any new guy, particularly a veteran in the middle of the season, always carries this kind of risk. That doesn't mean that we absolutely shouldn't do it, just that its a concern that we can only hope Buddy is taking more seriously than you guys are.

They brought in Kirk Morrison late, when Torbor went down. He hasn't had to play much, but he was precisely the kind of player and person and leader that Buddy and Chan want. If the player fans want to bring in are just good players but jerks or not the type that Buddy wants, there is zero chance that he will bring them in. If they are great leaders, practice players, locker room guys, etc, who can also play, then not only will he consider it, but it has virtually no chance of ruining any team chemistry or confidence. They will love the guy because just like them, he's doing all he can for the team and not himself.

I don't think he is going to make a move. If he does it will be to bring up Aiken. I doubt very much he will bring in a guy like Lloyd or Wayne.

I don't think he is going to make a move. If he does it will be to bring up Aiken. I doubt very much he will bring in a guy like Lloyd or Wayne.

You're probably right.. Jones will be back for the stretch, Let a young player play who knows the terminology.

Next April draft a receiver or two.

You're probably right.. Jones will be back for the stretch, Let a young player play who knows the terminology.

Next April draft a receiver or two.

Sure that might be a good idea. If we are trying to make a playoff push, we need that true compliment to Steve Johnson.

Donald Jones is not it. He is a strong role player.

Bringing in Wayne or Lloyd shows the team/fans/league that we are serious about winning. Its a ll a confidence issue. Some thinks it hurts confidence, I think it helps it.