Ruvell Martin

aussiebills

Is it possible that Martin might be one of the first to go to make room for a backup O-lineman who we should pick up from other teams' cuts? Perhaps Martin's hold of 83 might be very temporary. If Ruvell really brings it then it's just a pleasant surprise for us.

With the NFL's willingness to allow WRs to wear numbers in the teens more frequently there's really no reason to continue giving out #83. it is just a number but it has been issued almost continuously since Andre Reed was released (Dave Moore started wearing it in 2002 and right up until Lee Evans was drafted) and it is an unnecessary slap in the face to Reed. At least that's how he's taken it publicly, and it's foolish to upset the team's greatest goodwill ambassadors, especially in such dark times for the franchise where current players are speaking out about being disrespected.

I am afraid the number 83 will be kept in circulation for two reasons.

1. Andre Reed wasn't drafted or picked up off of waivers by this staff.

2. Ralph probably doesn't remember Reed.

So the number stays. Besides, Reed was so many years ago. who really remembers him?

I no i am being picky, but i value tradition, and isnt the Buffalo Bills #83 jersey, reserved for unless they are the focal point of the offense, i just think that since Martin wont even get onto the field why give him a number with such history

History? Let's see:

83 Harrison (Hatch) Rosdahl, Bobby Crockett, Clyde Glossen, Bob Christiansen, Sherman White, Preston Dennard, Andre Reed, Dave Moore, Lee Evans

Other than the great Andre Reed, I don't see anyone else worthy. Evans was OK but still a career loser, and I was never much of a Sherman White fan.

Edited by Rico

Yup.

If they should be off limits, retire them.

I'd prefer if they'd just retire the numbers outright, but the NFL typically frowns on official number retirements. As it is, the Bills have publicly stated that 34, 78 and 32 are no longer issued "out of respect" for Thurman, Bruce and OJ. By continuing to issue 83 it subtly implies a lack of respect for Andre Reed, regardless of whether or not it's true--- I don't think the Bills organization has any ill will or disrespect for him, fwiw, but it sends that message and Reed has commented on it from time to time.

History? Let's see:

83 Harrison (Hatch) Rosdahl, Bobby Crockett, Clyde Glossen, Bob Christiansen, Sherman White, Preston Dennard, Andre Reed, Dave Moore, Lee Evans

Other than the great Andre Reed, I don't see anyone else worthy. Evans was OK but still a career loser, and I was never much of a Sherman White fan.

Evans and Reed have the exact same number of Super Bowl rings. So why is Evans the career loser?

I am afraid the number 83 will be kept in circulation for two reasons.

1. Andre Reed wasn't drafted or picked up off of waivers by this staff.

2. Ralph probably doesn't remember Reed.

So the number stays. Besides, Reed was so many years ago. who really remembers him?

anyone who doesn't remember Andre isn't much of a fan...I can understand not having gotten to see him play live, but he was such a big part of a great era of Bills football, no Bills fan can ignore it

12 is the only retired number. Should 34 and 78 be fair game?

It is time to retire both of those numbers and 15 in honor of the only quarterback who led us to two championships! Having four numbers retired is reasonable and a tribute to Thurman, BRUUUUUUUUUUUUCE, and Jack!

As for 83 ... I saw it as a slap in Evans' face because of the poor value we received in the trade for him but in no way was this a slap at Andre!

Were you in a coma the past 7 years?

I must have been in a coma when Andre Reed led the Bills to hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. I am not even coming close to saying Lee Evans was as good of a Bills WR as Andre Reed was. Not stupid. My point is that someone called Lee Evans a career loser. What defines a winner? Being part of a team with a winning record, or being part of a Super Bowl champion team?

Edited by gugny

It's a number. Nothing more. Not worth losing sleep over.

CodeMonkey, just curious: what's the first year you watched Bills games regularly?

I agree. Besides, if you put the letter G in front of Reed, what does that spell? Ralph!

LOL! Now that's funny! :devil:

12 is the only retired number. Should 34 and 78 be fair game?

IMO Bills should retire all 3 #, 34 78 83. But that's just my opinion.

Wow. I can't believe that there's actually a discussion going on about this. I don't even think Evans OR Martin are good enough to hold Reed's jockstrap. -That's just me. Sure, I agree that there are no longer any sacred cows, but perhaps that's the problem. Just seems like a lot of disrespect to our old standard-bearers.

I must have been in a coma when Andre Reed led the Bills to hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. I am not even coming close to saying Lee Evans was as good of a Bills WR as Andre Reed was. Not stupid. My point is that someone called Lee Evans a career loser. What defines a winner? Being part of a team with a winning record, or being part of a Super Bowl champion team?

Andre Reed was fearless and wasn't afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catches, taking maximum punishment for doing so. Evans wouldn't even attempt to catch a pass over the middle in traffic with the free saftey coming over to lower the boom. Andre wore a jockstrap. Evans wears panties. nuff said.

Tempest in a teapot...but what else is a MB good for.

As the 'Snooze reported:

"...It's hard to avoid giving out all the numbers in the 80s. Tight ends and wideouts can wear 80s. Tight ends also can wear 40s, but so can linebackers and defensive backs. Wideouts also can wear numbers in the teens. But the Bills have all the numbers in the teens given out, except for No. 12, which is retired. All the numbers in the 80s are taken. All but one in the 40s is taken. Once the cuts are made, lots of numbers open up. The Bills should pay respect to Andre Reed and not hand his number out after the final cuts...."

And indeed they have...

Martin is 6'4" and 220 lbs - a big target. Although Chan likes Roscoe, he does seem to generally prefer big targets.

While many of us wanted Naaman to make the squad, Martin got the last wideout slot and could be a competent role player for us.

From Chris Brown:

"Known as a solid route runner, Martin often uses his size and length to make plays on the ball and is adept at coming down with the ball in traffic. Though he does not have elite speed he has shown an ability to get behind defenses as evidenced by his career average of 15.5 yards per catch."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-sign-WR-Martin/7fe6830b-7f02-419b-b00e-24e84393063c

From Brewcity Cheesehead:

"Ruvell Martin used to be with the Packers a couple years ago (2008 was his last year here I think) and I'm not sure where he's been the last couple years... He's a reliable receiver, not going to blow anyone away with his speed, but he has good size and good hands. The Packers used him in their 5WR sets which they used quite often when he was around. Aaron Rodgers always used to joke that Martin was his favorite target when most of their practice reps were on the scout team as backups. The Packers cut him in 2009 in favor of Brett Swain who is probably a worse receiver, but was better on special teams. The cut was one of the surprise cuts that no one expected, as he contributed to the team quite a bit and was well liked."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/133585-ruvell-martin-wr/page__st__20

Ruvel Martin to wear number 82. https://twitter.com/#!/buffalobills

What number will Caussin wear, then?

Speaking about the topic [ahem], In the last game, Ruvell Martin had an excellent ST play, and by my game notes, had 5 pluses and 3 minuses at WR (my very sophisticated rating system).

Kamar Aiken had 4 pluses and 2 minuses, Buster Davis had 4 pluses and 2 minuses. Marcus Easley had 1 plus and 3 minuses, one of which was poor downfield blocking.

Edited by Astrobot

Martin is 6'4" and 220 lbs - a big target. Although Chan likes Roscoe, he does seem to generally prefer big targets.

While many of us wanted Naaman to make the squad, Martin got the last wideout slot and could be a competent role player for us.

From Chris Brown:

"Known as a solid route runner, Martin often uses his size and length to make plays on the ball and is adept at coming down with the ball in traffic. Though he does not have elite speed he has shown an ability to get behind defenses as evidenced by his career average of 15.5 yards per catch."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-sign-WR-Martin/7fe6830b-7f02-419b-b00e-24e84393063c

From Brewcity Cheesehead:

"Ruvell Martin used to be with the Packers a couple years ago (2008 was his last year here I think) and I'm not sure where he's been the last couple years... He's a reliable receiver, not going to blow anyone away with his speed, but he has good size and good hands. The Packers used him in their 5WR sets which they used quite often when he was around. Aaron Rodgers always used to joke that Martin was his favorite target when most of their practice reps were on the scout team as backups. The Packers cut him in 2009 in favor of Brett Swain who is probably a worse receiver, but was better on special teams. The cut was one of the surprise cuts that no one expected, as he contributed to the team quite a bit and was well liked."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/133585-ruvell-martin-wr/page__st__20

and last week, Swain was waived by the Packers. Bills 1, Pack 0.

Caussin was cut

Then added to the practice squad.

WR Kamar Aiken

QB Levi Brown

TE Mike Caussin

DE Lionel Dotson

NT Michael Jasper

DB Joshua Nesbitt

C Michael Switzer

Don't you get a number on the PS?

I no i am being picky, but i value tradition, and isnt the Buffalo Bills #83 jersey, reserved for unless they are the focal point of the offense, i just think that since Martin wont even get onto the field why give him a number with such history

After Reed, number 83 has been worn by Dave Moore, Lee Evans, and Ruvell Martin.

TE Dave Moore wore it from 2002 and 2003

WR Lee Evans wore it from 2004 thru 2010.

WR Ruvell Martin 2011 till ??

and last week, Swain was waived by the Packers. Bills 1, Pack 0.

Then added to the practice squad.

WR Kamar Aiken

QB Levi Brown

TE Mike Caussin

DE Lionel Dotson

NT Michael Jasper

DB Joshua Nesbitt

C Michael Switzer

Don't you get a number on the PS?

I was under the belief that they didnt get #'s on the PS. Not sure why.

Doesn't look like this will be an issue.