Is this a fair question for new registrants?

SDS

How many Super Bowls have the Buffalo Bills played in?

I'm looking to cut down on the spam accounts that register. Many times real people from Asia sign-up, so I'm looking for a basic question that anyone with general football/Bills knowledge would know.

Is this question fair to younger fans? Is there an even easier question to ask that weeds out the spammers, but lets legitimate people register?

Serious replies only please. Don't waste my time with nonsense replies.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to cut down on the spam accounts that register. Many times real people from Asia sign-up, so I'm looking for a basic question that anyone with general football/Bills knowledge would know.

Is this question fair to younger fans? Is there an even easier question to ask that weeds out the spammers, but lets legitimate people register?

I think it's more than fair. Even if a younger fan from another market didn't know it, they could google it where a spam account couldn't.

If you're worried about the youth and want something more current you could go with Who is the Buffalo Bills starting QB (or head coach, owner, punter, etc)

Appreciate the effort SDS! I think the SB's is too easy -a quick Google will tell them this, to say nothing of it being part of Sports lexicon.

How 'bout name the teams' HOFers? If KRC replies, we'd ALL have to take a college course..

I'll give this more thought.

If KRC replies, we'd ALL have to take a college course..

All I would do is ask questions that can only be answered by buying one of my books. :devil:

Seriously, the Super Bowl question is fine. Anything that would require an additional step is good and any Bills fan should know the number of Super Bowls they attended. If you are a fan of another team and want to discuss upcoming games, it is not too much to ask them to learn a simple trivia question about our team before joining the discussion.

I think it's an eminently fair question.

The answer is sixteen, right?

It just feels like 16.

I'm not sure how the spam thing works. Is it automated or is someone actually typing?

Anyway, you could ask "What animal is pictured on the side of the Bills helmet?". You could require that "buffalo" be spelled correctly. I think that would stop spam from asia and pretty much all Canadians.

It's a logical place to start. Try to get a sense of how many of those junk accounts you note in a month; add your first 'filter' question and see if it makes a significant impact. Pending results, add further more 'advanced' questions.

...and the number of the counting shall be 4. You may not proceedeth to 5. You may not stop at 3 unless, of course, you directly proceed to four.

As with security, you can make three questions:

1. As above

2. Which city is home to the Bills (you will be surprised that ignorant people may not know that or even that they may think its a trick question and answer stupidly)

3. Who is the owner of the team

It seems completely reasonable to me, Scott. Even a younger fan who somehow doesn't know could easily look up the answer on one of many football reference sites.

It's a fair question for any avid fan, young or old.

I know you wanted to limit the responses to serious answers but there is a comedic gold mine in coming up with a question for new registrants.

GO BILLS!!!

A CAPTCHA is a type of challenge-response test used in computing as an attempt to ensure that the response is generated by a person. The process usually involves one computer (a server) asking a user to complete a simple test which the computer is able to generate and grade. Because other computers are assumed to be unable to solve the CAPTCHA, any user entering a correct solution is presumed to be human. Thus, it is sometimes described as a reverse Turing test, because it is administered by a machine and targeted to a human, in contrast to the standard Turing test that is typically administered by a human and targeted to a machine. A common type of CAPTCHA requires the user to type letters or digits from a distorted image that appears on the screen.

It just feels like 16.

I'm not sure how the spam thing works. Is it automated or is someone actually typing?

Anyway, you could ask "What animal is pictured on the side of the Bills helmet?". You could require that "buffalo" be spelled correctly. I think that would stop spam from asia and pretty much all Canadians.

Hey now...be nice to us!