First string O and D lines

Dr. K

I just watched the first quarter again, concentrating on the line play, and rerunning to see individual play. I have to say the Bills were getting much better defensive line play that I saw last season. The combination of Dareus and Williams is a handful. Williams was getting the double teams, and Dareus was getting a big push on his men. With Merriman rushing from the outside, and them running various twists and stunts, these three guys were too much for Chicago to handle. Even Kelsay, everyone's whipping boy, was keeping contain, forcing things inside, and getting penetration.

It's just a first preseason game, and I guess Chicago has O-line issues, but it was heartening to see the Bills present them so many problems.

The Bills' first-string o-line, though nowhere near as impressive, did hold its own. On a number of plays they were one block short of springing some big gains, such as the third and long play in Chicago territory, just before the field goal, where Spiller caught a short pass and almost made the first. The play was well designed, and a huge hole was opened up the middle. Wood went unblocked into the second level--his job was to block Urlacher, and if he had, Spiller might have scored--he would easily have had another ten yards. But though Wood got his hands on him, Urlacher shed his block and made the tackle.

It really struck me that on o-line play, every man has to be in synch with the others or the play breaks down. I have hope that, with more practice, they will get enough better that the offense can function efficiently. Assuming nobody gets hurt. The second team, though I haven't had time to break down plays the way I saw the first quarter, looks pretty bad.

It's a work in progress.

Edited by Dr. K

Agreed. I just watched it again the same way you did and had the same reaction. The defensive was really good. Dareus was in the backfield almost every play. Kyle was his disruptive self. Kelsay was steady and didn't do anything bad or good. Merriman was a beast. Edwards was solid when he was in. One guy who impressed me was Andra Davis. He reacted quick and shut down some plays. What a world of difference playing LB on this team when the line is good in front. Granted, the Bears O line is not good but it was their first team on their home field. Both safeties, Byrd and Wilson closed fast. Merriman was flat out great in the two series. On the second sack he beat two guys and slammed the QB backwards to the turf on third and long and just knocked them out of FG range. Don't get much better than that.

On the dareus sack, I think merriman should have gotten a .5. Not only was he half responsible, i actually think he hit Cutler on the ankle before Dareus leveled him. Sure it's only pre-season and it really doesn't mean anything. But the kinds of plays that Dareus and Merriman made, even more than the results, were extremely encouraging. We didn't even bite or get killed on a misdirection end around. That play went for 20 yards or more every single time it was tried last year.

On offense, if this is vanilla, I am going to love the play design and calling that Gailey will use. The line, to me, was adequate. Bell, Levitre, and Wood were decent. Urbik crapped the bed. Pears was actually pretty decent as well. But I loved the play design. Fitz is the right QB right now for this team. Chandler looked pretty good, outside of one drop. Brad Smith is going to be a tremendous addition for first downs and Gailey is going to use him a lot. D Jones had a bad start although he can block. Spiller is going to get the ball. That delay slant over the middle was a beautiful play design, with both Spiller and Jackson in the backfield.

I'm pretty excited. Gailey is a good coach. Merriman, Dareus and Kyle Williams are going to be a tough match-up for teams.

Agreed. I just watched it again the same way you did and had the same reaction. The defensive was really good. Dareus was in the backfield almost every play. Kyle was his disruptive self. Kelsay was steady and didn't do anything bad or good. Merriman was a beast. Edwards was solid when he was in. One guy who impressed me was Andra Davis. He reacted quick and shut down some plays. What a world of difference playing LB on this team when the line is good in front. Granted, the Bears O line is not good but it was their first team on their home field. Both safeties, Byrd and Wilson closed fast. Merriman was flat out great in the two series. On the second sack he beat two guys and slammed the QB backwards to the turf on third and long and just knocked them out of FG range. Don't get much better than that.

On the dareus sack, I think merriman should have gotten a .5. Not only was he half responsible, i actually think he hit Cutler on the ankle before Dareus leveled him. Sure it's only pre-season and it really doesn't mean anything. But the kinds of plays that Dareus and Merriman made, even more than the results, were extremely encouraging. We didn't even bite or get killed on a misdirection end around. That play went for 20 yards or more every single time it was tried last year.

On offense, if this is vanilla, I am going to love the play design and calling that Gailey will use. The line, to me, was adequate. Bell, Levitre, and Wood were decent. Urbik crapped the bed. Pears was actually pretty decent as well. But I loved the play design. Fitz is the right QB right now for this team. Chandler looked pretty good, outside of one drop. Brad Smith is going to be a tremendous addition for first downs and Gailey is going to use him a lot. D Jones had a bad start although he can block. Spiller is going to get the ball. That delay slant over the middle was a beautiful play design, with both Spiller and Jackson in the backfield.

I'm pretty excited. Gailey is a good coach. Merriman, Dareus and Kyle Williams are going to be a tough match-up for teams.

No no no,haven;t you been reading ESPN or any of the other "experts" The only D-Line anyone is going to worry about is Detroits line.

I only listened, but it was obvious to me even on radio that the addition of Dareus to the DL is going to free up Merriman to rush the passer and other LBs to simply hold serve and do their jobs, even after one/two series. This is not to say that Dareus alone is the cure to our defensive ills, but I'm very pleased that Den took Miller and Dareus was there for us. If Willams and Dareus do indeed require 4 blockers, we may actually not allow 200 ypg on the ground this year and that is certainly a step in the right direction for our D. Hard to be grumpy about the Williams/Dareus combo after tonight.

but those second stringers looked rough especially the O-line, D-line looked better as night went on.

There was a run play late in the 3rd quarter - White took the hand off, and was met by the entire Chicago front 4. I watched the play several times (on the dvr). Our entire O line - all 5 of them - whiffed on their blocks. Two linemen missed badly on cut blocks, another went to block a linebacker, but the backer sidestepped him, the right tackle completely missed sealing the end, and the center barely put a hand on the tackle.

I hope none of the starters gets hurt. To call that group "journey-men" is a disservice to journey-men everywhere.

I just watched the first quarter again, concentrating on the line play, and rerunning to see individual play. I have to say the Bills were getting much better defensive line play that I saw last season. The combination of Dareus and Williams is a handful. Williams was getting the double teams, and Dareus was getting a big push on his men. With Merriman rushing from the outside, and them running various twists and stunts, these three guys were too much for Chicago to handle. Even Kelsay, everyone's whipping boy, was keeping contain, forcing things inside, and getting penetration.

It's just a first preseason game, and I guess Chicago has O-line issues, but it was heartening to see the Bills present them so many problems.

The Bills' first-string o-line, though nowhere near as impressive, did hold its own. On a number of plays they were one block short of springing some big gains, such as the third and long play in Chicago territory, just before the field goal, where Spiller caught a short pass and almost made the first. The play was well designed, and a huge hole was opened up the middle. Wood went unblocked into the second level--his job was to block Urlacher, and if he had, Spiller might have scored--he would easily have had another ten yards. But though Wood got his hands on him, Urlacher shed his block and made the tackle.

It really struck me that on o-line play, every man has to be in synch with the others or the play breaks down. I have hope that, with more practice, they will get enough better that the offense can function efficiently. Assuming nobody gets hurt. The second team, though I haven't had time to break down plays the way I saw the first quarter, looks pretty bad.

It's a work in progress.

For some reason the game was blacked out live on the NFL preseason package, so I listened to it from 97 rock and read commentary from The Rumblings site, then played it after the fact. My take was slightly different.

Listening and reading, my impression was the O-line sucked and the D-line was unstoppable. The truth was in between. I agree, the O-line looked better than I expected, and you could see the potential. There was that terrible Urbik play.

On D, the sacks came after Cutler left, and it appeared their QB held it too long--the coverage was just as much responsible. That said, the push was much quicker than in the past. Without MD (a nickname in there somewhere), there would've been a little more time to allow the QB to find his second or third option. On the negative side, Barnett didn't look so hot. ILB could be the weakness of this defense. Hopefully Shep will provide help at some point.

For some reason the game was blacked out live on the NFL preseason package, so I listened to it from 97 rock and read commentary from The Rumblings site, then played it after the fact. My take was slightly different.

Listening and reading, my impression was the O-line sucked and the D-line was unstoppable. The truth was in between. I agree, the O-line looked better than I expected, and you could see the potential. There was that terrible Urbik play.

On D, the sacks came after Cutler left, and it appeared their QB held it too long--the coverage was just as much responsible. That said, the push was much quicker than in the past. Without MD (a nickname in there somewhere), there would've been a little more time to allow the QB to find his second or third option. On the negative side, Barnett didn't look so hot. ILB could be the weakness of this defense. Hopefully Shep will provide help at some point.

I was very happy with our defense last night, especially considering how much time first-string players got. While nine sacks per game is obviously an unrealistic expectation, the defense looks like it will be significantly improved. As for the o-line, things really aren't looking good. If Buffalo's defense puts up good numbers this year while Fitzpatrick takes David Carr-level sacks, and the running game gets crushed at the line of scrimmage, Nix will have a lot of explaining to do. I'm not naïve enough to think we're a playoff team this year, but I do believe that adding one or two quality offensive linemen for the short term will help our young receivers, Spiller, and Fitzpatrick build confidence and chemistry.

The fact that Brad Smith is a legitimate WR threat has me giddy. What's a defense to do when he is on the field? Will he line up at WR or QB? I didn't realize he was so big either.

There was a run play late in the 3rd quarter - White took the hand off, and was met by the entire Chicago front 4. I watched the play several times (on the dvr). Our entire O line - all 5 of them - whiffed on their blocks. Two linemen missed badly on cut blocks, another went to block a linebacker, but the backer sidestepped him, the right tackle completely missed sealing the end, and the center barely put a hand on the tackle.

I hope none of the starters gets hurt. To call that group "journey-men" is a disservice to journey-men everywhere.

I think I remember that play. I think it was Cordero Howard? Is that his name? a right tackle, whiff on two lineman in the same play. He missed his man then whiffed on the guy coming in behind him. Definitely not his best moment.

Kraig Urbik is not a starting OG in this league. How can a guy that big be so consistently out muscled and pushed around? Pears actually held his own but Urbik needs to go.

Why not try Hangman there? probably not as strong, but I think he is quick enough and smart enough to get the job done.

I know it's only two weeks of practice and one pre-season game, but I think the Urbik experiment, while a good idea (he is big and strong), is just not working???

Why not try Hangman there? probably not as strong, but I think he is quick enough and smart enough to get the job done.

I know it's only two weeks of practice and one pre-season game, but I think the Urbik experiment, while a good idea (he is big and strong), is just not working???

Based on this first game, the Bills would've been better keeping Hangartner at center and Wood at guard.

Agree. By my count we have 5 waiver wire pick ups on the OL...two of them are starting and three are primary backups. That's not investing in your OL. It's plugging bodies into positions that are not that important to you. If we can drop $4 mil a year on a gadget guy for crissakes get a real starting OG and some depth player on the OL in here.

Kraig Urbik is not a starting OG in this league. How can a guy that big be so consistently out muscled and pushed around? Pears actually held his own but Urbik needs to go.

Careful ... Lots of Urbik fans out there. Because Whaley picked him up and he was a Steeler he must be good. Right?

My opinion is to give him more than one partial game before we judge. The OL takes longer to jell and he has very little playing time. The guy could not get on the field at Pittsburgh.

I am hopeful that he develops but he did not get off to a great start yesterday. If Urbik fails then what is behind him? Hangartner? Cordero Howard? Chad Rhinehart? Or do we go back to Hang at center and Wood at RG. Come on Urbik. Step up!!

Careful ... Lots of Urbik fans out there. Because Whaley picked him up and he was a Steeler he must be good. Right?

My opinion is to give him more than one partial game before we judge. The OL takes longer to jell and he has very little playing time. The guy could not get on the field at Pittsburgh.

I am hopeful that he develops but he did not get off to a great start yesterday. If Urbik fails then what is behind him? Hangartner? Cordero Howard? Chad Rhinehart? Or do we go back to Hang at center and Wood at RG. Come on Urbik. Step up!!

He's had a brutal camp. Sign a true starter now and let the guy "develop" without killing Fitz or having Spiller met at the handoff. He didn't see the field in Pittsburgh because he's not good enough.

I do think that, watching the o-line play last night, though it was adequate for the most part (better in pass protection than run blocking), it is the weakest unit on the team right now (though special teams coverage looked terrible also).

The right side is weak, Urbik looked bad, and I dread the thought of any injuries. I just hope they get better and nobody gets hurt. I don't see where they are going to bring anybody in at this point that will help this season. Gailey is aware of the problem and seems to be game planning to minimize the effect of its weakness. NOt the ideal situation.

It's a work in progress.

Agree about the D - if this is a sign of things to come, I am quite excited. However, I respectfully disagree about the performance of the OL. They flat out sucked. Few holes opened, not holding blocks long enough to allow a pass play to develop. The majority of the line has been the same since last year (yes there were some injuries last year but still). 'Allow time to gel' should not be an excuse any more. Heck, if it takes Urbik, Pears etc so much time to gel we should have acquired linemen who can hit the ground running much faster. If there is a OL to be had in a trade, the Bills better be ready to deal. But, I realize thats not how we roll.