Fans should realize we are still in rebuilding mode.

The only thing I am dissappointed in is the 4th round pick for him. Thought it was a bit low (3rd sounds realistic). But other than that Evans is a one dimensional WR with fly route capabilities that can't run the crucial underneath and timing routes in the NFL. He does not make or break our offense and has pretty much been invisible for a number of years now. Did we really lose a leader? I dunno, I never seen it on the field. Was he a class act? Sure.

However, I don't mind dumping his salary for the sacrifice of the rebuild, locking up guys like Williams and Stevie long term, hopefully have a top 3 draft pick next year and make a splash next offseason in fa to polish the turd into one shiny one. :)

We are not winning this year anyways. Its not that bad people.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I am dissappointed in is the 4th round pick for him. Thought it was a bit low (3rd sounds realistic). But other than that Evans is a one dimensional WR with fly route capabilities. He does not make or break our offense and pretty much invisible for a number of years now. Did we really lose a leader? I dunno, I never seen it on the field. Was he a class act. Sure.

However I don't mind dumping his salary for the rebuild, locking up guys like Williams and Stevie long term, hopefully have a top 3 draft pick next year and make a splash next offeseason in fa to polish the turd.

and this is what stands for hope, nowadays. yikes.

jw

Like it or not, trading veterans on the downside of their career is the Patriot Way. Now, if we had been winning more, lee might have fetched more than a 4th. But look at what bellicheck has done to build his team (not to mention, he just outright cut, CUT Lawyer Milloy who at that point was a hell of a lot more consistent than lee). You guys can't have your cake and eat it to. Either you get a FO that starts acting like a real FO and trades players trending downward for draft picks while there is value, or you continue the model of riding them out through their contract and getting nothing. Ya'll can say Nix and Whaley have lost it, but they've done EXACTLY what the Pats would do and have done:

trade AWAY - 2010 Moss and a 7th for a 3rd (want to argue Lee is worth more than that? it's the same as a 4th). http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5653186

trade FOR - 2011 CO 5th and 6th (again want to argue Lee is better than CO? look at the numbers), http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6813469/cincinnati-bengals-deal-chad-ochocinco-new-england-patriots-source-says

trade FOR/AWAY - 2010 Deion branch 4th round pick (this is about what Lee is worth) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deion_Branch

*** to be noted - they originally sent him for a 1st because 1.) he came from a winning team (always inflates value) 2.) was younger.

and this is just the WRs.... This hasn't even touched on the other trades like laurence maroney (under achieving 1st rounder they at least got some value for in getting back a 4th - again coming from a winning team, value always inflated with draft picks). Bottom line - you guys can't have a competent front office and NOT have moves like this. Grow up and shut up. Nix is following a winning model, whether you like it or not. Just look at what winning franchises do long term - trade the vet talent once down hill and let the young guys build up and start rocking out.

Love the move = GO BILLLLLS!!!!

The only thing I am dissappointed in is the 4th round pick for him. Thought it was a bit low (3rd sounds realistic). But other than that Evans is a one dimensional WR with fly route capabilities that can't run the crucial underneath and timing routes in the NFL. He does not make or break our offense and has pretty much been invisible for a number of years now. Did we really lose a leader? I dunno, I never seen it on the field. Was he a class act? Sure.

However, I don't mind dumping his salary for the sacrifice of the rebuild, locking up guys like Williams and Stevie long term, hopefully have a top 3 draft pick next year and make a splash next offseason in fa to polish the turd into one shiny one. :)

You are correct, we're not winning this year.

Why?

Because the Bills continue to lose ground to the NFL powers. We aren't getting better by getting an additional 4th round pick and what makes you believe that this team will make a splash next offseason? Wasn't this the time to make a splash? What O-linemen do we have to show for it? Merriman and Barnett aren't going to be playing at a high level in 3 more years (possibly sooner, much sooner). What do we do next offseason? Should we jettison them? They aren't going to be around when the team is ready to make a run are they?

The Bills seem to fit a kind of circular logic illogic mode. We aren't good enough in 2009 so we'll get a couple extra draft picks. We're not good enough in 2010 so let's get a couple extra draft picks.

Sooner or later you've got to keep the players you have an improve around them.

Beerball you are really slacking now!

I hate to use the "R" word, but I'm starting to think this trade makes a little sense. Lee is 30...he doesn't have many years left, but he's still got it. The Bills probably won't win much this year, so now is the time to get the younger guys in there. Plus, Lee will have a chance to win now in Baltimore. It's the perfect trade for the Ravens, though I think the Bills could have gotten a better deal - maybe a 3rd round pick or an additional later round pick in 2013.

The downsides are obvious - the Bills lose a mentoring WR and someone to take attention away from SJ. They'll struggle for a while, but I have a feeling they'll be ok.

Screw the "mAsses". Buncha chicken littles that react to every move the same way.

What, you mean the typical "The Bills should trade this guy away to get something for him. Another team is looking for a player at that position and the guy has lost a step or two and is not great" Then, when they make the deal and its not for the ransom that fans wanted "Why did those senile idiots just give him away???? He was valuable here and now they have another hole! The Bills and Ralph are cheap, Buddy's asleep on teh job, everything sucks here WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

how 'bout we play a couple preseason games and see how these guys play before we hit the panic button? maybe see if there is any promise in our youngsters before we hurl them into the streets? or maybe even wait to see what kinds of players are going to get cut from other squads? yeah, i know that is just rifling through other peoples trash piles...or maybe there will be a player or two that are victims of some really good competition. ya never know.

Screw the "mAsses". Buncha chicken littles that react to every move the same way.

i'm been posting/lurking on this forum since the Mike Williams draft. your name stands out more than most because i used to agree with you a lot - you're an optimistic guy who never finds fault in the bills for anything (draft picks, trades, cuts, FA pick-ups, coaching hires). but now it's just a joke really. this team has SUUUUCKED the entire time frame i just referenced, yet everyone else is a "chicken little" because they're pissed we traded one of our best players away for a 4th round pick?

for how long do i need to be told "we're rebuilding" or "it's a 3 year plan"? it's been a 3 year plan since 20 !@#$ing 01. now we trade away a legit NFL WR so a scrub rookie FA can fill the spot? or so we can take that 4th rounder and draft a speed WR so we hope to god he can turn into lee evans? how many times do we have to lose a starter just to have to replace him with a worse player or a draft pick? (winfield, clements, greer, fletcher, pat williams, henry, mcgahee, lynch, peters, and now evans).

seriously dude - i used to be in your camp. but how in the christ can you rip on the collective board for "reacting to every move the same way" when EVERY MOVE TURNS OUT THE SAME WAY! failure. 8-9 years later this team STILL can't compete, but we're all overreacting bitches. whatever.

i'm been posting/lurking on this forum since the Mike Williams draft. your name stands out more than most because i used to agree with you a lot - you're an optimistic guy who never finds fault in the bills for anything (draft picks, trades, cuts, FA pick-ups, coaching hires). but now it's just a joke really. this team has SUUUUCKED the entire time frame i just referenced, yet everyone else is a "chicken little" because they're pissed we traded one of our best players away for a 4th round pick?

for how long do i need to be told "we're rebuilding" or "it's a 3 year plan"? it's been a 3 year plan since 20 !@#$ing 01. now we trade away a legit NFL WR so a scrub rookie FA can fill the spot? or so we can take that 4th rounder and draft a speed WR so we hope to god he can turn into lee evans? how many times do we have to lose a starter just to have to replace him with a worse player or a draft pick? (winfield, clements, greer, fletcher, pat williams, henry, mcgahee, lynch, peters, and now evans).

seriously dude - i used to be in your camp. but how in the christ can you rip on the collective board for "reacting to every move the same way" when EVERY MOVE TURNS OUT THE SAME WAY! failure. 8-9 years later this team STILL can't compete, but we're all overreacting bitches. whatever.

Yes, the fact alone that you site 10 years when we are only in Year 2, proves you are all overreacting bitches.

Your letting Donahoe's mistakes from years ago send you into a panick.

Yes, the fact alone that you site 10 years when we are only in Year 2, proves you are all overreacting bitches.

Your letting Donahoe's mistakes from years ago send you into a panick.

same owner dude. same owner who didn't want orakpo. same owner who (probably) forced nix's hand by having him cut salary (evans).

same owner dude. same owner who didn't want orakpo. same owner who (probably) forced nix's hand by having him cut salary (evans).

There is only one small part of your post that is legit. The rest you are making up in your overreactionary head because it gives you a reason to B word.

We dont know what part, if any, Ralph played in this.

Its funny, Just a few days ago, everyone here was talking about the abundance of WR's in teh Bills camp and how many the Bills can keep, worrying they would need to cut someone like Roosevelt, or hide him on the PS. Now they make a move so they can open a roster spot and give these guys some game experience, its a horrible move. There were a bunch a posts about how they should deal Evans, and how the Bills didn't really need him. They do it, and now he is a great player they can't live without? The Bills have lost plenty with Evans, its not like they are suddenly going to lose more because he's gone

And the locker room is not in chaos. Or at the very least you have absolutely no way of proving that.

I beg to differ. I was in the locker room today and it was pure unadulterated chaos. Towel snappings were at an all time high, KW clogged all the sinks with papertowels, and the Jasper and Troup gave all the toilets upper-deckers. It was madness!

I believe the real reason the Bills traded Evans was because they have 4 WRs from the class of 2010 that they don't want to cut. While their future is yet to be determined, one of them might just be an important player when the team gets good. By the time the team is good, they realize Evans' contract will be up & they had no intention of giving him another big $ contract.

So, to play it safe, it's better to keep Easley, Jones, Nelson & Roosevelt on the roster. With Johnson & Parish that's 6 receivers. Since they don't want 7 receivers on the roster,the oldest guy, Evans, was the odd man out. It's more a classic example of a team

knowing they're not winning this year & are investing time, including added playing time, into the future at the WR position.

At the risk of swimming against the current tide of outrage, that's a reasonable take. After all, who knows which one might be the next Steve Johnson.

I know people are pissed about the prospects for 2011, but this is not a playoff team with or without Lee Evans. They are looking to the future.

I believe the real reason the Bills traded Evans was because they have 4 WRs from the class of 2010 that they don't want to cut. While their future is yet to be determined, one of them might just be an important player when the team gets good. By the time the team is good, they realize Evans' contract will be up & they had no intention of giving him another big $ contract.

So, to play it safe, it's better to keep Easley, Jones, Nelson & Roosevelt on the roster. With Johnson & Parish that's 6 receivers. Since they don't want 7 receivers on the roster,the oldest guy, Evans, was the odd man out. It's more a classic example of a team

knowing they're not winning this year & are investing time, including added playing time, into the future at the WR position.

Absolutely correct.

Just as TO delayed the development of Stevie Johnson, the presence of Lee Evans is going to unnecessarily delay the development of such players as Donald Jones, Namaan Roosevelt and David Nelson.

This is a move that simply had to be made. Granted a 4th round pick is relatively paltry compensation for a player of Lee's caliber, this team needs to rid itself of Evans, who is a one-dimensional receiver past his prime. He'll flourish in Baltimore working across Anquan Boldin, but his best days in Buffalo were certainly behind him.

Absolutely correct.

Just as TO delayed the development of Stevie Johnson, the presence of Lee Evans is going to unnecessarily delay the development of such players as Donald Jones, Namaan Roosevelt and David Nelson.

This is a move that simply had to be made. Granted a 4th round pick is relatively paltry compensation for a player of Lee's caliber, this team needs to rid itself of Evans, who is a one-dimensional receiver past his prime. He'll flourish in Baltimore working across Anquan Boldin, but his best days in Buffalo were certainly behind him.

Ask Steve Johnson if TO delayed his development. Stevie was like a little puppy following the big dog and emulating every movement. TO taught SJ a ton and probably escalated his ascension enormously.

I agree he will likely flourish in Baltimore.

Ask Steve Johnson if TO delayed his development. Stevie was like a little puppy following the big dog and emulating every movement. TO taught SJ a ton and probably escalated his ascension enormously.

I agree he will likely flourish in Baltimore.

I was watching the Balt game last night and there was discussion on Falco needing another target and I immediately thought Lee Evans. Lee will do great in Balt maybe our pick is conditional!!!

Its funny, Just a few days ago, everyone here was talking about the abundance of WR's in teh Bills camp and how many the Bills can keep, worrying they would need to cut someone like Roosevelt, or hide him on the PS. Now they make a move so they can open a roster spot and give these guys some game experience, its a horrible move. There were a bunch a posts about how they should deal Evans, and how the Bills didn't really need him. They do it, and now he is a great player they can't live without? The Bills have lost plenty with Evans, its not like they are suddenly going to lose more because he's gone

I am with you. Evans is a nice player, but a few days ago there was a projected opening day line up. The main area being discussed was how many wrs to keep. And who goes. I think Buffalo saw that Evans main specialty was as a speedster. That is not the starting qbs main specialty. And Evans was only going to be under contract for two more years. Not saying i am happy about only getting a fourth for him. But i bet the younger guys in the locker room appreciate the faith they are being given. It never seemed to me that Fitz and Evans were a great couple. So maybe the Evans trade helps take pressure off Fitz to force him the ball? Maybe a glass is half full approach, but dont think the locker room is going to sulk over Evans going, just like they didn't when Whitner left.

Absolutely correct.

Before this gets closed...Evans was a good team player--thats it! With a contract close to 10 million over the next 2 years...trading him seemed likely!

Fans can go on and on about "Ralph is cheap" or "When will he die" posts, but Evans career with the Bills is over...from a business standpoint this opens up competition for the #2 spot and will help us extend the contracts of Kyle, Stevie & Fitz!

I beg to differ. I was in the locker room today and it was pure unadulterated chaos. Towel snappings were at an all time high, KW clogged all the sinks with papertowels, and the Jasper and Troup gave all the toilets upper-deckers. It was madness!

I knew Jasper would take this hard. He and Lee were like brothers during their long career here together.