Tyler Thigpens Contract

Welborn9

The Thigpen/Smith vs. Miller is my suggestion, not something the Bills were pursing to my knowledge. As far as your second question goes, figure it out yourself smartass. <_<

I have no insider knowledge, so it's information I can't possibly assume to know, sorry for coming off as a smart ass.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but ... what a stupid friggin' post. Damned if they do; damned if they don't. Seems like more and more people have the sole purpose of coming on here and starting topics that do nothing but tell us how much the Bills stink, how much the front office stinks and how much Ralph Wilson stinks. Get a friggin' life or go root for a team that wins more. Not sure what else to tell you. And yes ... I know I don't have to read them. Save that crap, too.

When was the last time Smith played QB?

When was the last time you saw ANY team have offensive success when the 3rd QB was forced to enter the game?

In other words, the answer to your question is irrelevant. Smith certainly has the skill set to run the wildcat or a variation thereof, has been successful at it, and the rules change this season regarding #3 QBs puts the Bills in the rare position of actually being a step ahead of the rest of the league.

Yeah, but go ahead and answer it anyway: all last season he had stints as an option/wildcat QB for the Jets.

Any Bills fan should know. He did, after all, THROW for a TD last year at the Ralph.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but ... what a stupid friggin' post. Damned if they do; damned if they don't. Seems like more and more people have the sole purpose of coming on here and starting topics that do nothing but tell us how much the Bills stink, how much the front office stinks and how much Ralph Wilson stinks. Get a friggin' life or go root for a team that wins more. Not sure what else to tell you. And yes ... I know I don't have to read them. Save that crap, too.

It's a stupid post on many levels. Not the least of which is the unsteady and false premise upon which it was put out there in the first place: we gave Thigpen too much money for a backup. This assertion was obviously made having done absolutely no research whatsoever.

The Jets under-utilized Smith. He'll definitely get to throw some passes, a la Kordell Stewart under Gailey. In addition to being a returnman.

Agreed. What we REALLY need is depth on the O-line, LB, and TE positions. Injuries at any one of those positions could create a catastrophic situation for this team.

The Bills gave Fitz a 9 million dollar contract over 3 years 2 years ago to be a back up. Why is Thigpen's contract a problem now?

Cause people forget salaries have SKYROCKETTED the last 5-10 years and backups- especially those with a shot of real playing time during the contract - get that money regularly.

Agreed. What we REALLY need is depth on the O-line, LB, and TE positions. Injuries at any one of those positions could create a catastrophic situation for this team.

The Bills have depth up the wazoo at all of those positions. Depth ain't the problem,quality is. And training camp is all about finding out if they've got it or not.

3.6 million for a backup is a high cost. But 3ish million is the going rate for a good backup. Hell look at what the Eagles paid Vince Young. A lot of other decent backups get that rate.

Is that too much for a backup QB? Yeah but its the market value, you can say the market value is too high but the Bills ended up paying the going rate.

Bills can't win. They identify a guy they want, have to pay a little more for him (Vikings wanted Thigpen) and fans still complain.

Yeah, is he overpriced? Sure. Does it really matter because we are still wayyyyy under the cap and won't come close to approaching said cap? No.

Gailey got the guy he wanted. Sometimes you have to pay a few more dollars... Also, I thought Fitzy was overpriced when he first arrived (3 mill a year) and making more than our starting QB at the time. Who knows, maybe Thigpen eventually wins the job (probably not happening due to the power of the Fitzbeardy).

We should have overpaid for Clabo

:doh: Thigpen contract clarification. 3 years $11 mill is a hefty price for a backup.

So this is who we over pay??

3+ mill is about right for a backup QB. He knows Gaileys system, played well for him before, has some starting experience, If Fitz has a poor game, hes not really a threat for us to have 5000 post on here on why he needs to be put in over Fitz. Good signing.

Just to add to your comments on Smith. Yes he was a college QB, but despite playing in the wildcat a lot, he has only attempted 7 passes since entering the NFL in 2006. His effectiveness as a passer as a 3rd string QB or out of the wildcat, is a question mark at this time.

Yes it is a question.

All we have to go by is his career passer rating at Missouri which was 114.10 (http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_brad01.html) and his career passer rating as a pro which is 119.6 (http://www.nfl.com/player/bradsmith/2506916/careerstats).

Considering that Smith's always been an effective passer, there's no reason to feel that he won't continue to be an effective passer.

Would you rather have Thigpen and Smith or Zach Miller and <insert some other backup QB). What difference does a backup QB mean this year anyways?

What does Zach Miller have to do with our quarterback situation?

Look people. The Bills are paying their 3 quarterbacks a total of $10.41 million this year. Now I know we'd all love to have a quarterback as great as Peyton Manning who will make $18 million this year but we don't.

We don't even have a guy like Kyle Orton who will make $9 million this year. Again, the Bills QBs combined are making $10.41 million this year.

The signing of a quality 2nd and quality 3rd string QB (who's also a great runner and one of the NFL's best kick returners) is not preventing the Bills from signing players.

If you want to be unhappy about the Bills not going on a free agency spending free that's fine. But it has little or nothing to do with signing two quarterbacks this offseason.