Vernon Carey to be cut soon?

Fingon

David Hyde of the Sun Sentinel says he might be cut soon

http://twitter.com/#!/davehydesports

Edit: ESPN scouting report

Grade: 82 | Key

Comment: He is the most versatile offensive lineman on the Dolphins roster because he has played four positions at one point or another. Carey has settled in well at the right tackle spot. He possesses a nice combination of size and strength for the position. He is a good overall athlete. He has left tackle-quality feet and athleticism. He does a good job of protecting the edges in pass protection and adjusts well versus double moves. Carey will ride the defender wide and allow the QB to move up into the pocket. He plays with good leverage in the run game. He is a solid player on an underrated offensive line.

Edited by Fingon

I actually played against Carey in our senior years of high school. We both played OL and they subbed him in for goal line and he was the biggest person I have ever seen on a field. He played on the same team as Antonio Bryant and Tory Cox, he was hands down the most athletic big man I have ever seen play ball.

Just went to Fin Heaven to see what the deal is and the site's down from too much traffic. Before that I did see the beginning of a long Carey thread, however. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they're dumb enough to cut him....

Edited by MattM

He's 30, coming off a knee injury that required surgery and has a big salary. But if he can return to health, he's money. If he actually does get cut, we need to be all over him.

Minus the big money contract, sounds like a Bills type of guy. Maybe he renegotiates? He'd be very nice, and right in line w/ the approach Nix has stated regarding building the roster.

Well then sign him up.

If Madden rates him high then the Bills should have him ... who cares if his injured knees keep him from making a Dolphin team that has a weak offensive line ... who cares if no other team wants to pick him up ... Madden rules and we need higher rated Madden players on the Bills!

I wrote about this earlier on a different thread and got no responses LOL. I thought I was the only one who heard about this. Its almost a certainty that he is going to be cut. He is a top 6 or 7 right tackle in the NFL and definitely still in the prime of his career. Absolutely no reason the Fins would cut him other than salary reasons. He is a very good player, and can play either tackle position which is rare in the NFL.

Carey is due about $5M this year. If they cut him I think we could pick him up for around 3-3.5M. Clabo signed a 5 yr contract for 25, he's better and younger, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could get him on the lower side of my estimate. They went after Clabo, so you know we're interested in the position. That said, Pears is only making 640k this year and if they only see it as a slight upgrade in Carey, I think they don't pull the trigger.

Carey is due about $5M this year. If they cut him I think we could pick him up for around 3-3.5M. Clabo signed a 5 yr contract for 25, he's better and younger, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think we could get him on the lower side of my estimate. They went after Clabo, so you know we're interested in the position. That said, Pears is only making 640k this year and if they only see it as a slight upgrade in Carey, I think they don't pull the trigger.

I don't see how you can only see it as a slight upgrade. Carey has been in the lower top 10 of RT's for the past few years. Pears is a journeyman. Give Carey a 3 year 9 million dollar deal with a very low guarantee. Its such an upgrade over what we have.

With reports of the Def Line blowing up our Off Line, this would be a great move.

That's the thing about camp, one side is gonna look bad on every play. Is it good news or bad that the O-line is getting mauled?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If Madden rates him high then the Bills should have him ... who cares if his injured knees keep him from making a Dolphin team that has a weak offensive line ... who cares if no other team wants to pick him up ... Madden rules and we need higher rated Madden players on the Bills!

In some ways he could be a perfect addition for the Bills.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that his knee prevents him from playing in 2011. He could spend the year on IR while learning the system. Suppose the Bills lose a lot of games, in part because of guys like Carey not being able to play. Then, going into the 2012 draft, they'd have a very early draft pick. A pick which could be used on a franchise QB.

Then in 2012 Carey comes back from his injury, and becomes an important piece of the Bills' OL.

Of course, the above is a best-case scenario.

David Hyde of the Sun Sentinel says he might be cut soon

http://twitter.com/#!/davehydesports

Edit: ESPN scouting report

Grade: 82 | Key

Comment: He is the most versatile offensive lineman on the Dolphins roster because he has played four positions at one point or another. Carey has settled in well at the right tackle spot. He possesses a nice combination of size and strength for the position. He is a good overall athlete. He has left tackle-quality feet and athleticism. He does a good job of protecting the edges in pass protection and adjusts well versus double moves. Carey will ride the defender wide and allow the QB to move up into the pocket. He plays with good leverage in the run game. He is a solid player on an underrated offensive line.

Sign em, but if Columbo was better we should have gone after him.

That's the thing about camp, one side is gonna look bad on every play. Is it good news or bad that the O-line is getting mauled?

PTR

It just means they are going to be well prepared for the regular season...

I wonder if he's at practice today?

BTW, here's the Finheaven thread (play nice): http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?301991-Vernon-Carey-is-not-at-practice

And an article from today: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/questions-surround-miami-dolphins-right-tackle-vernon-careys-1684438.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

Hmmmmm...

Bad knees or not, seems like this guy could really help our line!

Hmmm.... Not sure if he's even an upgrade (based on teh internets)...

"Carey was ranked as the 25th-best offensive tackle out of 78 last year by the website Pro Football Focus, but he also allowed 23 quarterback pressures in 12 games, the highest number on the team."

"Carey was ranked as the 25th-best offensive tackle out of 78 last year by the website Pro Football Focus, but he also allowed 23 quarterback pressures in 12 games, the highest number on the team."

These are the jamokes who think they can grade players by watching network feeds:

"We use TV broadcasts for both the analysis and the player participation data. We’ve been asked a lot how therefore is it possible to determine who was on the field in every position through TV pictures. Surely that just isn’t possible? Well, just because something is not easy doesn’t mean it is impossible. :worthy: Firstly, the high definition picture from which we work is excellent, and that gives us the best starting point outside of coaches’ film, which isn’t attainable outside of NFL offices."

Garbage video in, garbage "analysis" out. I'd be highly learly of going by anything these jokers produce...

I wonder if he's at practice today?

BTW, here's the Finheaven thread (play nice): http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?301991-Vernon-Carey-is-not-at-practice

And an article from today: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/questions-surround-miami-dolphins-right-tackle-vernon-careys-1684438.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

Hmmmmm...

Bad knees or not, seems like this guy could really help our line!

How can he help if he has bad knees?

Do yourself a favor and stay off that site man. Off the top of my head they ranked Kyle Williams the #3 player in the whole NFL last season, and Corey Webster the best shutdown corner in football. The site is a joke man. They get people's interest by coming up with this outlandish statistics, and rankings. Vernon Carey is an absolute BEAST and would be the best player on our ENTIRE line immediately. His injuries have nothing to do with this move if he leaves. He is one of the most consistent, and least injured Olineman in the NFL. The guy has started 90 out of the last 96 games. If those are knee problems I wish I had them!!!

25th out of 78? Thats pretty damn good. That means he is at least a top 15 RT.

That site is notorious for publishing complete and utter BS...

Great idea though, I should create a website with a bunch of made up lists and try to make money off of it.

Do yourself a favor and stay off that site man. Off the top of my head they ranked Kyle Williams the #3 player in the whole NFL last season, and Corey Webster the best shutdown corner in football. The site is a joke man. They get people's interest by coming up with this outlandish statistics, and rankings. Vernon Carey is an absolute BEAST and would be the best player on our ENTIRE line immediately. His injuries have nothing to do with this move if he leaves. He is one of the most consistent, and least injured Olineman in the NFL. The guy has started 90 out of the last 96 games. If those are knee problems I wish I had them!!!

Lol +1

Edited by Turbosrrgood

That site is notorious for publishing complete and utter BS...

Great idea though, I should create a website with a bunch of made up lists and try to make money off of it.

I'm not defending the site, and like most stats, when I see something from them I read it and think about what they say, and don't accept it as gospel, or the most important indication of a player or team.

But name one time they published complete and utter bull ****. I'm just curious.

"Kelly", I have been reading your posts for about as long as you and I have been on this board so I respect your opinion greatly. However, here is some utter BS that they published. Check out pro football focus top 100 players. Or even the top 20 for that matter if you want a good laugh. Followed by some cornerback rankings which are laughable as well.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-top-101-players-of-2010-the-top-20/

Also here we have the Cornerback rankings where Brandon flowers is #1 in the league, and Revis is #13

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/08/30/idp-cb/

I'm not defending the site, and like most stats, when I see something from them I read it and think about what they say, and don't accept it as gospel, or the most important indication of a player or team.

But name one time they published complete and utter bull ****. I'm just curious.

Edited by coseybedaman

"Kelly", I have been reading your posts for about as long as you and I have been on this board so I respect your opinion greatly. However, here is some utter BS that they published. Check out pro football focus top 100 players. Or even the top 20 for that matter if you want a good laugh

http://www.profootba...010-the-top-20/

That is not complete and utter BS at all. That is not a list of the 20 best players in the NFL. That is one guy's opinion, based on stats, of the 20 players who played the best at their position. Putting Kyle Williams at #3 does not mean the author thinks Kyle Williams is the third best player in the league. It means that based on stats, he played the position of DT better than 99% of the players played their positions compared to other players. I would agree with a lot of the players on that list. My list wouldn't be close to the same, but I would not be using a stat based criterion like that guy was.

It's not complete BS at all.

Did you even read your own link you provided about CBs? It's a fantasy list. Has nothing whatsoever to do with who he thinks is a better CB.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog