Bills to install A-Turf field

Here is a link to the SMU Mustangs field, also installed by A-TURF.

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/facilities/ford-stadium.html (Just click on the photo gallery link a little way down on the left)

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/view.gal?id=5796 (this should be the photo gallery).

Probably look very close to our new field once it is installed. Back in the 80's the Mustang unis (Eric Dickerson era) had a strong resemblance to the Bills as well.

I live near SMU, they always go with the best.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to the SMU Mustangs field, also installed by A-TURF.

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/facilities/ford-stadium.html (Just click on the photo gallery link a little way down on the left)

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/view.gal?id=5796 (this should be the photo gallery).

Probably look very close to our new field once it is installed. Back in the 80's the Mustang unis (Eric Dickerson era) had a strong resemblance to the Bills as well.

I live near SMU, they always go with the best.

Great point!! I have always thought the Bills helment on TBD here was similar to the one SMU uses. SMU's

program has improved over the last few years. Let's hope the Bills can follow their lead.

The plot thickens. As the story originally posted states, A-Turf was the lowest bidder.

As it turns out, their bid must have been well less than half of the other bids. The owner explained his rationale for lowballing…as it would be the centerpiece for his marketing efforts trying to sell top-tier customers…he's willing to minimize profit to maximize his exposure.

Still, the price is apparently well below the industry norm.

http://profootballta...ory/rumor-mill/

That would make no sense.

If this playing surface is so quality which we've yet to find out by NFL standards, then all future buyers will want the same price as the BILLS got.

If you had a friend who bought a new car and you wanted the same car, you're gonna demand the same price he got.

I actually think white end zones would be incredible...very unique. They would definitely make the field pop, imo, with maybe just the charging buffalo in the middle of each end zone. Just a whole new look for an organization that really needs a new look, which is what they are going for.

Edited by 7boogiewoogie

The plot thickens. As the story originally posted states, A-Turf was the lowest bidder.

As it turns out, their bid must have been well less than half of the other bids. The owner explained his rationale for lowballing…as it would be the centerpiece for his marketing efforts trying to sell top-tier customers…he's willing to minimize profit to maximize his exposure.

Still, the price is apparently well below the industry norm.

http://profootballta...ory/rumor-mill/

If this playing surface is so quality which we've yet to find out by NFL standards, then all future buyers will want the same price as the BILLS got.

If you had a friend who bought a new car and you wanted the same car, you're gonna demand the same price he got.

Look Art. Dobmeier publicly stated that he bid low for the sole reason to land the job that would provide his company and product with a great platform for visibility…for marketing purposes.

He publicly stated this.

It's analogous to when a player accepts a hometown discount because he wants to stay with his current team. The player is giving the discount to one team, not all teams.

An isolated deal like this is considered a market exception and it's understood by everyone in the market and in fact, underselling is a common marketing strategy. For years, companies have had lower price point "loss leaders" which they justify because it achieves their objective of spreading the company name.

And your point is further weakened by the fact that all of these jobs are bid upon. They will invite bids and award bids based on the bids that were submitted, regardless of what that company has bid previously.

like just about everyone else I would prefer red end zones but blue will definitely work

with the new turf and uniforms two of the final reminders of the TD era will be corrected

Edited by Max997

Look Art. Dobmeier publicly stated that he bid low for the sole reason to land the job that would provide his company and product with a great platform for visibility…for marketing purposes.

He publicly stated this.

It's analogous to when a player accepts a hometown discount because he wants to stay with his current team. The player is giving the discount to one team, not all teams.

An isolated deal like this is considered a market exception and it's understood by everyone in the market and in fact, underselling is a common marketing strategy. For years, companies have had lower price point "loss leaders" which they justify because it achieves their objective of spreading the company name.

And your point is further weakened by the fact that all of these jobs are bid upon. They will invite bids and award bids based on the bids that were submitted, regardless of what that company has bid previously.

I've always wanted us to switch back to grass like in the Rockpile days ... only nicer grass than what we had there.

Edited by ARTnSocal

• 1 month later...

You can demand it, but that doesn't mean you will get it. And the car is not an analogy that works. There are thousands of car dealers and

there will be several where you can get the same car as your friend. There is only one A-Turf. So if an organization wants that turf they

will pay what the company dictates.

Per a picture and post on the Bills' Facebook page, the removal of the old turf has started.

Link

Nice! Can't wait to see the new turf and what they're doing in the end zones. I know the mockup showed they would be blue (which would be awesome).

I hope Hammer is over there dumpster diving.

I could understand for the old AstroTurf with what happened on it....

But what's the best / most special thing that happened on this stuff?

It's probably more marketable for souvenirs labeled as the turf that was under a Tim McGraw concert.

Personally, I want to forget the last ten years ever happened.

Edited by UConn James

Normally, selling pieces of the old field to fans might be a nice gesture and even be a little income to the county to offset what they spend on RWS. (I'm assuming the county owns the old turf --- they paid for it).

However, in this case with a decade of failure on that turf, I just don't think it'd be pulling in a lot of buyers.

I have a piece of the turf from the 80's. I don't want one from the past decade.

Well there's.... uuhhhmmmm.... hold on.... oh! Our last win against the Pats*, 31-0 on opening weekend 2003!

I do have a piece of the, now former, turf that Hammer got from the last switch out. If he can get some of the new turf I'll donate my old piece to be burned in effigy at the TBD Home Opener Tailgate XII.

Really...I thought the idea was to score in the red zone not in a blue zone.

The red zone is between the 20 and the goal line. With the new turf the blue zone is where you score.

I actually think white end zones would be incredible...very unique. They would definitely make the field pop, imo, with maybe just the charging buffalo in the middle of each end zone. Just a whole new look for an organization that really needs a new look, which is what they are going for.

And how would you tell when they stepped out of bounds?

The red zone is between the 20 and the goal line. With the new turf the blue zone is where you score.

And how would you tell when they stepped out of bounds?

You could have a black or dark blue out line trim the edges of the endzone. There is some sort of little boundary trimmings you could do with that.

FYI for anyone Interested. I recieved an email from a Bills employee that the old turf is going to be used for a tailgating area in the parking lot. That's all I was told. Not sure if ilthis is 100% and neither did he. But that is the word I got. I was actually very interested in buying a 10x10 yard piece if possible. Would have made a really cool man cave carpet.

I could understand for the old AstroTurf with what happened on it....

It's probably more marketable for souvenirs labeled as the turf that was under a Tim McGraw concert.

Personally, I want to forget the last ten years ever happened.

Coinciding, I want to forget the players and coaches of the last decade..

Per the Albany T-U stub article on the front page, the new turf is going in.

Not sure how much I trust that. With its ~3 column inches (unattributed), this is exactly the kind of hack job that would include demolition under the description of "the new turf is going in."

mrags, it's been said all along that the old turf will be donated by Erie County. The stub said that Chris Collins will be revealing the recipient later today. Given the to-do, I highly doubt it will be the Bills.... Perhaps they'll be keeping some unnecessary scrap pieces, so your source might not be entirely wrong. That said, I wish they would just get rid of it all, so as not to infect the new stuff with 'Decade of Fail.'

Well, I'll be jiggered. This is per the Bills' official Facebook page:

Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon comments on the new field design at Ralph Wilson Stadium : “Excited to announce new turf installation began yesterday at RWS. Look forward to seeing the new blue end zones. Other new elements will include red, white and blue stripes on each 20-yard line & a larger logo at midfield. The new surface is expected to be finished this week. Hope fans enjoy the new look.”
Edited by UConn James

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284382_10150309009700659_72631215658_9819453_1584571_n.jpg

In the event my previous post was an epic Fail, it appears the new end zones are all green with 'BILLS' spelled out in each end zone. The new Logo is @ the 50 yrd. line.

I was hoping for blue end zones, but it seems not.

284382_10150309009700659_72631215658_9819453_1584571_n.jpg

In the event my previous post was an epic Fail, it appears the new end zones are all green with 'BILLS' spelled out in each end zone. The new Logo is @ the 50 yrd. line.

Are you sure that is a picture of the new turf? I don't see the red/white/blue 20 yard line stripe on your linked picture (although I am over fifty and have bifocals!).

Go Bills!

Edited by DGW54321

284382_10150309009700659_72631215658_9819453_1584571_n.jpg

Chandler, that's a photo of the deconstruction e.g. ripping the old one out.

As quoted above, Russ Brandon confirmed blue end zones. They've just started laying out the midfield with the new turf.

It's been three days since they started, and it's costing ~$180K. We'll see if this is going to be one of the rare occurrences where the Project Triangle ("Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.") is wrong.

Edited by UConn James

Chandler, that's a photo of the deconstruction e.g. ripping the old one out.

As quoted above, Russ Brandon confirmed blue end zones. They've just started laying out the midfield with the new turf.

It's been three days since they started, and it's costing ~$180K. We'll see if this is going to be one of the rare occurrences where the Project Triangle ("Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.") is wrong.

I pulled it from their FB page, entered today. That the new logo is @ midfield means it isn't the old turf. The one end zone pictured is green, though they could paint it blue.

Again, I can't click on the link I provided so I'm not positive what you're seeing..:wacko:

I hope it's suitable for work:unsure:

Edited by Chandler#81

I pulled it from their FB page, entered today. That the new logo is @ midfield means it isn't the old turf. The one end zone pictured is green, though they could paint it blue.

Again, I can't click on the link I provided so I'm not positive what you're seeing..:wacko:

I entered your link on The Google and it brought me to a picture that I know for a fact was posted on 9 July... seeing as I linked to it in this thread on that date.

That is the old turf. One hundred percent positive. I can't say it any plainer.

Watch the video link in my above post. As of today, they have only laid out a portion of the midfield from ~ 10 yard line to the 50, and the owner of A-Turf said they would be cutting in for the Bills logo (and it will be 30 percent larger than the previous one at midfield) later this week.

Who's :wacko: ?

Edited by UConn James

C, UConn is correct. You are ABSOLUTELY linking to a pic from the 2010 field. What you saw is BEFORE they started tearing out the old turf. As has been stated in previous posts, Russ Brandon confirmed that the endzones will be royal blue, so fear not.

I entered your link on The Google and it brought me to a picture that I know for a fact was posted on 9 July... seeing as I linked to it in this thread on that date.

That is the old turf. One hundred percent positive. I can't say it any plainer.

Watch the video link in my above post. As of today, they have only laid out a portion of the midfield from ~ 10 yard line to the 50, and the owner of A-Turf said they would be cutting in for the Bills logo (and it will be 30 percent larger than the previous one at midfield) later this week.

Who's :wacko: ?

UC, I think you misinterpreted my response. I :wacko: myself for not being able to re-click on my link to see if I posted the pic I thought I did. I apologize for the misunderstanding and you & others are thankfully correct about the new end zones, which I was hoping for all along.

New field, new uni's, can't wait! Get this damn negotiation over with already!!

I don't care if the endzones are red or blue but the idea of keeping them plain green was so lame. I remember hearing when Donahoe did the new field that it was more traditional or some crap because the grass used to die faster when it is painted. Hmmmm, that's the kind of logic that we used to sign Kelsay.......

Tradition for this Bills fan is whatever we were doing in the early 90's when we were elite.

Now we've gotta work on keeping dudes out of the blue zones and gettin our boys in.

Tradition for this Bills fan is whatever we were doing in the early 90's when we were elite.

Drafting superstars and surrounding them with competent role players. I'm all for a return to that philosophy. ;)

Now we've gotta work on keeping dudes out of the blue zones and gettin our boys in.

Hear hear!! :thumbsup: