Bills' 2010 Draft-Worst in NFL?

To pick one small nit... they were 2nd worst by the blogger. Not the worst as the topic title would suggest. :)

I don't disagree w/ the blogger that the draft didn't have an immediate impact. Last year was year 1 of the latest "rebuilding" campaign... we'll have to see how it works out this year (assuming there is a this year). When your team finishes in the bottom 5 of the league - is there much positive to say about them?

The 2010 draft was a piss poor draft. If you can't get 3-4 starters out that group, that counts as a bad draft to me. They have to do waaay better starting tomorrow night, if they want to get out of the cellar. They should know this, but it is the Bills. You know, the guys who are too smart for us and know what their doing.

Obviously Tom Modrak is god and we're just pee-ons compared to his knowledge of scouting talent. :wallbash:

If you include Donald Jones and David Nelson Id say it was a pretty solid class.

They were pleasant surprises, but since they weren't drafted, and that is what the article is about they aren't included. Like I have said in the recent past, the Bills got as much if not more production from the undrafted rookies in 2010 than they did from their draft picks.

Typical knee-jerk evaluation by another writer that doesn't know any better and hasn't learned a thing about the process over the years. Then again, if a writer had to wait the three years it takes to properly evaluate a draft, they wouldn't have much to write about in the interim.

Nobody involved in the game itself subscribes to the line of thinking that one season is enough to evaluate a draft. There has ALWAYS been pressure to win NOW and there has ALWAYS been pressure to make the right personnel decisions. However, there is one thing worse than drafting a player that doesn't look good his rookie year and that's cutting him too soon and seeing him become a great player for someone else. Teams simply have too much invested in the process to think otherwise. While the cap increases the pressure to "hit" on players immediately, the lack of a crystal ball still makes it an inexact science.

But hey, if you like fast-food football, by all means eat this up.

GO BILLS!!!

The 2010 draft was a piss poor draft. If you can't get 3-4 starters out that group, that counts as a bad draft to me. They have to do waaay better starting tomorrow night, if they want to get out of the cellar. They should know this, but it is the Bills. You know, the guys who are too smart for us and know what their doing.

Obviously Tom Modrak is god and we're just pee-ons compared to his knowledge of scouting talent. :wallbash:

Your logic, IMO, is pretty ridiculous. So the barometer for a successful draft class is finding 3-4 immediate starters? Do some research, and find some teams that got 3-4 immediate starters from the 2010 draft. I'll wait.....

Your logic, IMO, is pretty ridiculous. So the barometer for a successful draft class is finding 3-4 immediate starters? Do some research, and find some teams that got 3-4 immediate starters from the 2010 draft. I'll wait.....

The pats did. And yes I agree that is pretty rediculous expectations for most teams, but considering how terrible our roster is and how high our draft slot is, I would almost expect to see 3-4 starters added this year, and I think we could have done that last year too.

I do understand where angst comes from. If you have such a lousey team then rookies should more easily make an impact and be more likely to be the starters. Perhaps though only better teams can afford to plug in rookies and weather rookie mistakes because the other talent can better compensate and the team can afford the increase in athletic talent at the expense of experience.

That combined with coaching philosophy might be the answer to why the bills rookies may still have a bright future despite year one.

Even moats started slowly and he has been the star of the bills class I feel.

I do agree that spillers struggles are a big concern. But he showed glimpses and I think even he could be in for a vastly better year.

Easley and Batten are also completely unknown.

Very funny stuff. The only thing less useful than a 2010 draft grade right now is a 2011 draft grade. I know everyone is rightly disappointed in Spiller's 2010 season, but I think he is being thrown into the Maybin pile way too soon. Whether this was a good draft or not will be determined in a couple years, when Carrington and Troup and Easley and Moats could all be starting, and Spiller may have learned to pick up the blitz and hit the hole and be an impact player. Not saying that will happen or won't happen, but how good this class is depends on if it does happen or not, not on the 4-12 2010 team's performance.

It's semantics really. Judging the spectrum of worst to best based on one year is premature. Judging it based on "first year impact" of the class is more in line with what is being done here. In that case, I can't disagree that the Bill's 2010 draft was low impact in a situation where the opportunity was there to have a high impact.

Last year's draft looks terrible right now but can still be saved if Troupe, Carrington, Easley and the LB's develop. I'm not counting on Spiller ever being much.

I agree it can be saved long term if these guys show up. But as bad as we were it was rough to not have them make a bigger impact. And Spiller will be something man, have faith. Jesus...Spiller didn't blow up but he didn't look terrible give him time. Bush is a good player in the league and he struggled. The idea backs just come in and explode right away is not true. A lot of them take time. Freddy himself took a long time, and had a long time, to get to where he is. Spiller is talented. More so than Fred.

It's semantics really. Judging the spectrum of worst to best based on one year is premature. Judging it based on "first year impact" of the class is more in line with what is being done here. In that case, I can't disagree that the Bill's 2010 draft was low impact in a situation where the opportunity was there to have a high impact.

And then you have Buddy sticking to his board and drafting the BPA... maybe the problem is the board? Nah.

I dont think you can judge a draft after 1 season of play. I think you need 3-4 years before you judge a draft. Personally, I like Troup and Carrington. We'll see. Jury is still out.

I agree that it might take a little time, but if you wait 4 years, you will be saying that that pick finally turned out to be good now that he is playing for another team because his rookie contract is up and he left as a free agent. That is the reality of the NFL today, so is that really a good draft, when they finally pan out after 3 or 4 years just in time to leave for big bucks somewhere else? What does the team that drafts them get out of it besides at best a low compensatory pick in the draft?

I agree it can be saved long term if these guys show up. But as bad as we were it was rough to not have them make a bigger impact. And Spiller will be something man, have faith. Jesus...Spiller didn't blow up but he didn't look terrible give him time. Bush is a good player in the league and he struggled. The idea backs just come in and explode right away is not true. A lot of them take time. Freddy himself took a long time, and had a long time, to get to where he is. Spiller is talented. More so than Fred.

If you ever watched Spiller trying to block in the backfield, yes he did look terrible-"lost" is another good way to describe his rookie year. He WAS the biggest disappointment in the entire draft when you take the draft slot, expectations and everything else in consideration.

Edited by billsfreak

What's the point of judging a draft one year out?

It kinda goes back to that Bill Parcells draft special. He stated that he only ever graded one prospect, Billy Sims as a 9 (on a scale of 9), a guy who could walk right in and go right to the Pro Bowl. When you think of all the great players Parcells was involved in drafting, and it was only Sims that was ever graded that high, that really put the draft, and what to expect of draftees in their first year in the pros, in perspective.

I expect more out of Spiller and the gang in the second year of their careers, but I would not label that class a bust.

2010's Worst Drafts

I guess I am not the only one who thinks Buddy and the gang blew their first draft in Buffalo. Let's hope the second time through the process is a charm. Go Bills!

Spiller has a ton of potential, so waaay too early to declare him a bust. Needs to get better in pass protection (most young RB's do) so he can get on the field more...

Troup, Carrington, and Moats are all very promising too and we wont really know how good they will be until this year when they get significant playing time (or at least should)

Easley got hurt...he didnt bust, he got hurt.

So overall, we have some promising young players from last years draft...have they proven themselves yet, no, but I actually think 3 years from now its going to look like a pretty good draft.

2010's Worst Drafts

I guess I am not the only one who thinks Buddy and the gang blew their first draft in Buffalo. Let's hope the second time through the process is a charm. Go Bills!

Easley got hurt, players get hurt every year. Troup started coming into his own towards the end of the year, and he was very productive when compared to the DT's drafted above and below him, including the ones drafted by teams that were not considered "reaches", as the drafting of Troup in the 2nd round was. Carrington? Well, very few stars run into the starting lineup in the NFL directly from the 3rd round. Carrington will be judged more during this his second season. And Arthur Moats can turn out to be the steal of last year's draft if he improves on the rookie season he had - the kid is a player.

Drafting C.J. Spiller was stupid in my opinion. But even with him, it's even more stupid for a sports writer to waste time "judging" a team's draft one year later!!