Bills Spoke To 4 QBs at Combine

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/3/2/2024588/nfl-scouting-combine-bills-spoke-with-gabbert-newton-locker

Gabbert, Newton, Locker, & Kaepernick. Thinking more & more that Kaepernick is our developmental guy - similar combine to newton, scrambler, tall, big, intelligent, smart. Maybe cutting Brohm is a smoke screen? - so we get our DL/LB we love with pick 3. And fall back on Kaepernick in round 2? Here's some additional thoughts Gabbert & Newton will be gone by #13 Minnesota. Locker by the end of round 1 leaving Kaepernick within our grasps. Being that a team can talk to 60 guys at the Combine these are the final 4 canidates for Fitzy's understudy in 2011. Unless I'm missing something this means we have to take a QB with one of our 1st 2 picks.

Go Bills!

Those are the QB's that we know about. It is uncertain whether or not they spoke with other QB's. Also, how is cutting Brohm a smoke screen? The guy sucks, so we cut him. Locker isn't a guarantee to go in round 1, neither is Kaepernick in round 2 (which I think is too high for him). Again, you're assuming that Nix only spoke with those 4 and not more. And just because they spoke to QB's doesn't mean they liked them enough to ensure using either of our first 2 draft picks on any of them.

and I'm sure they met with Ponder, McElroy, and Dalton extensively when they were coaching them at the Senior Bowl. I don't think you can read into who they visit with to narrow down who they like. The Bills will be meeting with tons of prospects and a handful of QB's.

Kaperneck from Nevada has little chance to become a starter in the NFL, IMO. This is a passing league and he has a big arm, but little accuracy and little experience running a pro style offense. He also has a lanky, wirey build, which won't hold up, from a physical standpoint. I compare him to Dennis Dixon, who's been a backup with the steelers and looks to be just that, a lifetime backup.

Any word on who's been to Buffalo to visit? I thought I saw somewhere that a few had been planning to come up to OBD? I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills do not bring up Newton and I still would think they'd draft him without doing that.

And, as far as Dennis Dixon - you need a quality backup QB. It is a key to #WINNING.

Well those guys were expected since Dalton/Ponder/McElroy were on the South team. If they don't take a QB in the 1st, or Ponder in the 2nd, I bet it's McElroy in the 4th or so.

McElroy & Fitzpatrick, the Wonderlic twins on the same roster ?!!! Are the Bills trying to solve the energy crisis or win Championships? Maybe they can use their extra brain cycles to help the Bills Brass evaluate draft prospects better.

:thumbsup: Kaepernick Rnd 2

Yawn.

Kaep and Locker would be 3rd & 4th round targets.

Edited by Why So Serious?

and I'm sure they met with Ponder, McElroy, and Dalton extensively when they were coaching them at the Senior Bowl. I don't think you can read into who they visit with to narrow down who they like.

And. in fact, Gailey specifically said (you can find the video on the bills site) they weren't going to use interview time at the combine on the players he already knows from the Senior Bowl - Game-MVP Ponder being high on that list.

Mayock has Locker as his #2 QB. Right between Gabbert at #1 and Newton at #3.

and I'm sure they met with Ponder, McElroy, and Dalton extensively when they were coaching them at the Senior Bowl. I don't think you can read into who they visit with to narrow down who they like. The Bills will be meeting with tons of prospects and a handful of QB's.

Kaperneck from Nevada has little chance to become a starter in the NFL, IMO. This is a passing league and he has a big arm, but little accuracy and little experience running a pro style offense. He also has a lanky, wirey build, which won't hold up, from a physical standpoint. I compare him to Dennis Dixon, who's been a backup with the steelers and looks to be just that, a lifetime backup.

I agree. His frame lends himself to running, something he did exclusively at Nevada. And as CJ Spiller proved, you can't run around everyone in the NFL. Von Miller actually caught him in space twice at the Senior Bowl.

I find it ironic people are willing to overlook someone like Kaperneck's mechanics (which resemble Vince Young), but will condemn Locker who actually made huge strides w/ his mechanics and accuracy at the combine. To each their own, I suppose.

And if they're not there by 3 or 4, I hope they don't reach. I can live with someone like Dalton or Kaepernick, but I'd want to make sure they address the defensive and OL needs first.

If we take Kaepernick with the 34th pick or McIlroy in the 4th everyone should be fired immediately. Kaepernick is 3rd round value at best and before the Senior Bowl McIlroy didn't even look like he was going to get drafted.

Edited by jwolf02

Those are the QB's that we know about. It is uncertain whether or not they spoke with other QB's. Also, how is cutting Brohm a smoke screen? The guy sucks, so we cut him. Locker isn't a guarantee to go in round 1, neither is Kaepernick in round 2 (which I think is too high for him). Again, you're assuming that Nix only spoke with those 4 and not more. And just because they spoke to QB's doesn't mean they liked them enough to ensure using either of our first 2 draft picks on any of them.

People just love talking about smoke screens when it comes to the draft. Has anyone claimed that the new unis are a smoke screen yet?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/3/2/2024588/nfl-scouting-combine-bills-spoke-with-gabbert-newton-locker

Gabbert, Newton, Locker, & Kaepernick. Thinking more & more that Kaepernick is our developmental guy - similar combine to newton, scrambler, tall, big, intelligent, smart. Maybe cutting Brohm is a smoke screen? - so we get our DL/LB we love with pick 3. And fall back on Kaepernick in round 2? Here's some additional thoughts Gabbert & Newton will be gone by #13 Minnesota. Locker by the end of round 1 leaving Kaepernick within our grasps. Being that a team can talk to 60 guys at the Combine these are the final 4 canidates for Fitzy's understudy in 2011. Unless I'm missing something this means we have to take a QB with one of our 1st 2 picks.

Go Bills!

i would not mind Kapernick in the second @ all.

physically he has it all,size,great arm strength and fantastic mobility it will just take him a while to adjust to the NFL style of QB play.

secondlt he is a very clean player and hard worker. still have my doubts about those charistics witn newton.

i would not mind Kapernick in the second @ all.

physically he has it all,size,great arm strength and fantastic mobility it will just take him a while to adjust to the NFL style of QB play.

secondlt he is a very clean player and hard worker. still have my doubts about those charistics witn newton.

Kaepernick = this year's John Skelton.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Go Bills!

The Bills are short by their own admission 2 DEs (even in a 3-4 btw so I think they are blowing draft smoke here and will look to get 1 DE likely with their first pick). 2 LBs (this likely is true but my GUESS is that they only expect to get 1 it is to be hoped LB starter from this draft- yet you already are in roun2 and 1st rounders appear to be only slightly above 50/50 to be starters by the end of they year.

The good news for us is that our second rounder will be about as high a pick as can be and we get the advantage of overnight negotiation to try to multiply this pick with a trade.

This need is necessary because even devoting the first two picks to the D we are still likely a D player short of what we would love to see of contributors from this draft.

By spending this high high second round pick on Kapwhathisname you do several things:

1. By definition in your post as we assign him the back-up role to him and we all know how Mr. Ralph hates to pay for someone to sit whether it be Wade whom he contractually agreed to pay even if he was sitting in his sons high school games or RJ whom he designated the starter after he gave him a guaranteed contract based on him dismantling and Indy team which had given up on the game. The boss will almost certainly chafe (if we are lucky silently) every time he signs the big check evem if the K-man is sitting for his own good. Further, a small but loud and whiny part of the fan base will be calling for the rookie to play every time Fitzy makes even a slight error. They will be egged on by WGR and Sully who will be happy to sell commercials and fill column inches by stoking the next QB controversy. If we spend a 2nd on a QB it remains ugly around here.

2. This essentially will be a declaration of no mas for the 2011 season by the Bills. They not only forgo using the #2 for an LB they desperately need to be even adequate against the run, but in doing so they put off by another round their search for a player and a half (RT and a swing guy they need on OL to have it be adequate.

3. We are also telling the team and Fitzy we are giving up on 2011. In fact, given the OL boot down in the draft we are not only demanding Fitzy survive with an undermanned OL, but if worse comes to worse it forces the K man into th line-up with an inadequate OL to protect him and him not having had the usual 2 years a Gailey failed vet QB has of seeing NFL Ds before he gets thrown to the wolves.

I just do not see taking him so early as worth the cost and risk.

Any word on who's been to Buffalo to visit? I thought I saw somewhere that a few had been planning to come up to OBD? I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills do not bring up Newton and I still would think they'd draft him without doing that.

Bowers agent was reportedly setting up workouts for him with all of the top 5 teams. That should mean he comes to Buffalo as long as they oblige.

I agree with you on all that....and there are individual pro days as well that a scout may attend. Also, I forget when or what player, but I believe the Bills drafted someone high the one year that the scouts never even talked to that player at all, which threw off a few teams as they never expected us to draft him based on who we did talk to. So you just never know..and as one recent NFL Story mentioned that it is too early to smoke screen anyone at this stage as you could never sustain it for 2 months. If you do try to smoke screen and throw other teams off it's better to wait within 2 weeks of the draft to do that!

You guys do realize it's like 50-50 that a team brings a guy in for a visit before they draft him? I think a good percentage of our 1s never came in. Probably like 70-30 that we saw them at some event (visit, combine etc...) plenty of times they contact friends, family, coaches through back channels and keep things hush hush if they hear what they want

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills are short by their own admission 2 DEs (even in a 3-4 btw so I think they are blowing draft smoke here and will look to get 1 DE likely with their first pick). 2 LBs (this likely is true but my GUESS is that they only expect to get 1 it is to be hoped LB starter from this draft- yet you already are in roun2 and 1st rounders appear to be only slightly above 50/50 to be starters by the end of they year.

The good news for us is that our second rounder will be about as high a pick as can be and we get the advantage of overnight negotiation to try to multiply this pick with a trade.

This need is necessary because even devoting the first two picks to the D we are still likely a D player short of what we would love to see of contributors from this draft.

By spending this high high second round pick on Kapwhathisname you do several things:

1. By definition in your post as we assign him the back-up role to him and we all know how Mr. Ralph hates to pay for someone to sit whether it be Wade whom he contractually agreed to pay even if he was sitting in his sons high school games or RJ whom he designated the starter after he gave him a guaranteed contract based on him dismantling and Indy team which had given up on the game. The boss will almost certainly chafe (if we are lucky silently) every time he signs the big check evem if the K-man is sitting for his own good. Further, a small but loud and whiny part of the fan base will be calling for the rookie to play every time Fitzy makes even a slight error. They will be egged on by WGR and Sully who will be happy to sell commercials and fill column inches by stoking the next QB controversy. If we spend a 2nd on a QB it remains ugly around here.

2. This essentially will be a declaration of no mas for the 2011 season by the Bills. They not only forgo using the #2 for an LB they desperately need to be even adequate against the run, but in doing so they put off by another round their search for a player and a half (RT and a swing guy they need on OL to have it be adequate.

3. We are also telling the team and Fitzy we are giving up on 2011. In fact, given the OL boot down in the draft we are not only demanding Fitzy survive with an undermanned OL, but if worse comes to worse it forces the K man into th line-up with an inadequate OL to protect him and him not having had the usual 2 years a Gailey failed vet QB has of seeing NFL Ds before he gets thrown to the wolves.

I don't endorse taking Kaepernick with our 2nd round pick. I prefer Kyle Rudolph or DT/DE/OLB/ILB in round 2. My post was just to engage a dialogue on Kaepernick, whom is climbing many mock draft boards. I'm on the record as being a big Fitz endorser. I think he's got a good 4 to 6 seasons of production. If Kaepernick's stock is falling then why waste the time and interview talking to him?

I don't endorse taking Kaepernick with our 2nd round pick. I prefer Kyle Rudolph or DT/DE/OLB/ILB in round 2. My post was just to engage a dialogue on Kaepernick, whom is climbing many mock draft boards. I'm on the record as being a big Fitz endorser. I think he's got a good 4 to 6 seasons of production. If Kaepernick's stock is falling then why waste the time and interview talking to him?

The interviews do not indicate that we will take one of the four. Remember there is no reason to interview either Ponder or McElroy because they were the South QB's at the Senior bowl.

It is still my belief that Nix and Gailey will look hard at all choices for QB before the draft. It is also my belief their first choice will be to select DT Dareus or OLB Miller with the first pick and in the second round they will hopefully select QB Ponder...or the best athlete available at other positions.. God knows the Bills need TALENT everywhere.....

You are assuming that there will be a good starting-caliber LB candidate to pick in round 2. I don't know that

that is a good assumption.

You are assuming that there will be a good starting-caliber LB candidate to pick in round 2. I don't know that

that is a good assumption.

I don't know why you would assume there isn't with pick #34. Just kind of silly to say all the good linebackers are gone in the first 33 picks.

Go Bills!

One scout put it this way, "Kaepernick's footwork is atrocious."