National Anthem

Toledo Bill

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I guess. Too much improvisation for my taste but completely appropriate given the venue.

If you want to hear God Bless America in all its glory. Try a version by Kate Smith in her prime. No one has done it better.

Are you talking about this bimbo and

?

youtube.com/watch?v=rfcdrUDQ_tc

Aguilera did butcher the song. The over the top Mariah Carey esque approach is horrible for me and messing up the words is just stupid.

However, it is just a song at its base and to the extent it can have special reverence that actually stems from the circumstance and not from the simple words themselves. I make no personal demands that anyone sing it exactly as it was written but only that one make changes which work. Aguilera's rendition is not bad because it changed the original words it was bad because it was not good communication, sharing, entertainment, etc.

My personal favorite national anthem was a personal one when a bar in Greenwich village I was in to watch the US Hockey team beat the Russians in the 80 Olympics spontaneously sang the anthem.

The best performance of the anthem I have seen was by Marvin Gaye at an early 80s NBA All Star game > youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A < Ironically, he probably changed more words than Aguilera (but at least his changes made sense and evoked a sense of reverence in most. He simply showed his mastery of music where he employed a beat timing which was appropriate to the song but unusual in its presentation.

Personally, I think America the Beautiful (in particular the Ray Charles version) would be a far better national anthem than the Star Spangled Banner (easier to sing and speaks to glories of the land that we love rather than the more martial Banner, but either can work in the hands (and pipes) of a good artist.

I would have been calling for the traditional singing like everybody else today, except that my favorite is the one you posted. Marvin Gaye's rendition is so awesome.......Magic Johnson said nobody wanted to play basketball. They just wanted to keep listening to Marvin.

This will always be the standard for me

youtube.com/watch?v=YHmdu_I_0zI

I agree, and contrary to previous posters, she did not just sing it, she made it her own, with her on style and interpretation, but without completely changing its core feels/style. Thats what good artists and musicians do when performing standards, and by doing so, they make their performance the NEW standard (anyone notice how every new artist in some way emmulates a portion of whitney's version while performing the national anthem? She was pretty amazing...but like rick james said, cocaine's a helluva drug.

I'm just sayin.

She muffed the line, big deal. She did recover and went on. Without instant replay and youtube and twitter etc, most people wouldn't have even known. If you've ever performed music in front of large crowds you'd know that it's not a matter of if you're going to make a mistake, but how you recover. She recovered and carried on like a true professional. Nice job CA.

The Mo Cheeks thing was cool though.

Here's the complete opposite of what went down yesterday. A young girl freezes up and Mo Cheeks knows precisely what to do.

Kind of like

I'm okay with non- traditional renditions. Whitney Houston, Marvin Gaye, Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson gave great interpretations. Occasionally I guess you have to put up with Mariah Carey and her squeal or Aguilera, whose renditions seem to forced even when she doesn't blow a line.

I thought it was treasonist.

My 6 yr. old grandgirl came to attention when the first words were sang. Proud of her, I did as well, next to her. SHE caught the flub and was concerned with what she heard, given her expressions, but remained silent and at attention throughout. I hugged her afterward and apologized -on behalf of old Americans everywhere.

I thought it was treasonist.

She made a mistake singing a song and that's treasonous? (yeah it's treasonous, not "treasonist" - that's not a word).

It's called perspective old timer. Get some.

But i guess that's what America is all about: we can all have an opinion. No matter how irrational and reactionary it is.

She made a mistake singing a song and that's treasonous? (yeah it's treasonous, not "treasonist" - that's not a word).

It's called perspective old timer. Get some.

But i guess that's what America is all about: we can all have an opinion. No matter how irrational and reactionary it is.

While Chandler used it as an adjectival noun, ' treasonist ' most certainly IS a word...

treasonist

Noun 1. treasonist - someone who betrays his country by committing treason [syn: traitor]

(It's called literacy, young pup. Get Some.)

Yeah, I thought the national anthem was bad, but it is every year. The NFL hired Christina Aguilera to sing the anthem, because she is who she is, good or bad. They got what they hired. She has vocal skills, though her style is not anything to my liking, I can't see vilifying her for it. Honestly, and I will bet this is true of most here, I tuned out Christina almost immediately, never noticed the flubbed line...

As for the half time show, last year, it was common pop culture humor to rank on the Who for beig old, "can't we they get anyone from this millenium?" So, we got that, and it turns out, it was even worse...maybe the Super Bowl should just avoid this crap altogether...

Well done - i stand corrected. Whether Aguilera is treasonous treasonist or a traitor or turncoat for flubbing a lyric is an important question to consider, and my embarrassing illiteracy will certainly kill the debate.

My apologies to the entire pack of ornery moderators and their precious offended granddaughters for my insolence and limited vocabulary.

She was awful. I think the whole Super Bowl crapped the bed. Fail all over the place.

All that being said, I'd give Aguliera another chance next year to redeem herself. I think that would be a classy touch.

Communist? How dare you, sir? :D

If it makes you feel better, there's nothing like 80,000 drunken English football fans singing "God Save the Queen." And my favorite would have to be Turkey's. Those minor notes are badass.

England's anthem may be the only one I'd put on a par with ours. I love the Brits. And yes, I'm an unabashed jingoist :P

Edited by joesixpack

Yeah, I thought the national anthem was bad, but it is every year. The NFL hired Christina Aguilera to sing the anthem, because she is who she is, good or bad. They got what they hired. She has vocal skills, though her style is not anything to my liking, I can't see vilifying her for it. Honestly, and I will bet this is true of most here, I tuned out Christina almost immediately, never noticed the flubbed line...

As for the half time show, last year, it was common pop culture humor to rank on the Who for beig old, "can't we they get anyone from this millenium?" So, we got that, and it turns out, it was even worse...maybe the Super Bowl should just avoid this crap altogether...

At my little party, which only includes those who I have Bills season tickets with, we were way too busy debating if she is hot or not to notice the flubbed line....

I hate these "artists" who try to make the song about themselves with their own personal wrinkles thrown into it in a vein attempt to differentiate themselves.

Aguilera is a disgrace, and performed the same.

I agree with previous posters that somebody should be selected that will sing the song.

Whitney Houston did it the best.

without reading the previous posts:

i hit the mute-button 10 seconds into it.

never did that b4 and likely never will or have to do again.

but that was beyond awful.

the good thing it saved me from the botched words.

She was awful. I think the whole Super Bowl crapped the bed. Fail all over the place.

All that being said, I'd give Aguliera another chance next year to redeem herself. I think that would be a classy touch.

I saw a youtube video of her doing the National Anthem at an NBA game last year. She is a very good singer for some genres and did okay with the anthem as a child, but as an adult, this song clearly is not meant for her.

England's anthem may be the only one I'd put on a par with ours. I love the Brits. And yes, I'm an unabashed jingoist :P

:lol:

As an Anglo-American, I particularly like one verse from the mid-1700's that is no longer in use:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

:D

Edited by LeviF91

What a bunch of drama queens...it appears a stroke of genious to have the Super Bowl be the lead in for "Glee" :lol:

Whitney lipsynched the anthem. At least CA tried to do it live.

Honestly, Peter, everyone seems to bow to the Whitney Houston version, and it was pre-recorded. In a society where everything is pre-fab, why not just pre-record it, if the results are so "stupendous"?

CA is not my cup of tea at all, but I think way too much is being made out of this horrendous version of the National Anthem...it has been butchered for years, before thousands and thousands sporting events, by some of the best known singers on the planet, and some of the most obscure...don't blame her, blame the NFL, or whoever hired her to sing...she did what she does, and what made her hire her in the first place...she oversang, and over-emoted...that is a very popular style of singing...from the country that gives serious creedence to the winner of American idol, why anyhting else?

Edited by Buftex

My all time fav was when Marvin Gaye did his rendition during the NBA finals back in the 80's for those who remember.

That is how you do it your way. He put alot of soul into it and I think after that they required the song to be sung the way it meant to be.

I agree with the poster that the way Jim C in Chicago did it during the NFC championship game, that gave me goose bumps. Now if your going to have somebody do it correctly the NFL should call the Blackhawks and hire that guy for the next 5 yrs, give the guy a contract and make sure it is done just like that.

Christina just messed it up, sounded like she had a few drinks before the game lol

Marvin NBA all-star game it was..enjoy

Edited by Bufcomments

1) She does not have the vocal talent to sing the relatively demanding song.

You lost all of your credibility there, sir. Please leave the vocal evaluation to the experts.

I agree with previous posters that somebody should be selected that will sing the song.

Whitney Houston did it the best.

Weird how you say that the song should be sung as written, but then use the Whitney Houston version as an example. You do know she used her own arrangement there, right?

You lost all of your credibility there, sir. Please leave the vocal evaluation to the experts.

I'll take this one, respk...

As previously stated, I'm a huge fan of Ms. Aguilera's talents - but, as a music major and accomplished classical performer, I can attest to the demanding intervals contained in our national anthem, requiring huge and sudden leaps across the entire normal vocal range. An acceptable performer of pop tunes specifically written or chosen for her own range, Aguilera, while far more talented, has about the same musical training as Britney Spears (i.e., ex-Disney Mouseketeer).

Christina Aguilera has apparently been affecting the role of slutty, throaty, lounge-singer harlot since about the age of 8 and has achieved much acclaim - well deserved, I'll add - along with financial and popular success.

She's also a ' hottie ' - or used to be before she got fat - but that does not ameliorate her lack of musicality or vocal discipline.

She does not have the vocal talent to sing the relatively demanding song.

My friends and I were busy guessing on an over/under of 90 seconds to finish the song. I picked over, and she crushed it. We clocked her at 122 seconds.

Try to sing that song in your head and see how long it takes. I have a hard time getting past 45 seconds, let alone 90.

:lol:

As an Anglo-American, I particularly like one verse from the mid-1700's that is no longer in use:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

:D

I'm telling you, if I was FORCED to leave the USA and ahd to choose just one country to take refuge in, it'd be the UK.

That's just brilliant.

My friends and I were busy guessing on an over/under of 90 seconds to finish the song. I picked over, and she crushed it. We clocked her at 122 seconds.

Try to sing that song in your head and see how long it takes. I have a hard time getting past 45 seconds, let alone 90.

A friend of mine use to sing the national anthem often at Sabres games. She said that the stock phrase they used to use to describe duties was 2 anthems, 2 minutes and out of here. So at least there was some practical aspiration to do the Star Spangled Banner and O Canada with an allocation of 1 minute a piece.

I will ask to find out whether there was an even split of the time.

A friend of mine use to sing the national anthem often at Sabres games. She said that the stock phrase they used to use to describe duties was 2 anthems, 2 minutes and out of here. So at least there was some practical aspiration to do the Star Spangled Banner and O Canada with an allocation of 1 minute a piece.

I will ask to find out whether there was an even split of the time.

OOOOOOH CAH-NA-DAH oooour hOme an' Native LAAAAAND... ;)