kevin boss

nuklz2594

Nix has already stated he will use the money to resign our own players. Don't expect big signings until we're competing for a playoff spot. Instead, be prepared to see cheap veteran guys that can come in and be serviceable but not necessarily make a huge impact.

Nix has already stated he will use the money to resign our own players. Don't expect big signings until we're competing for a playoff spot. Instead, be prepared to see cheap veteran guys that can come in and be serviceable but not necessarily make a huge impact.

If I was gonna sign a couple of big FAs this is certainly the statement I would make:

Declaring you are gonna go FA bug tine destroys your leverage.

Negotiating with an individual player you would not want to signal that you can and must sign a big FA deal, We recently saw what happened when Arthur Blank publicly promised to sign a WR as an FA to give Vick a weapon, TD immediately franchised Peerless and named their Price after Falcs owner Blank forced himself into having to not only pay a big contract but trade a first for talent he generally declared he would pay a high price for.

What players are worth signing from a 4-12 team? Cheap vets? That's been the Bills MO since Donahoe left. How's that worked out, Ralph? Build through the draft sez Buddy? Well, CJ Spiller ain't exactly a good exhibit A. You get what you pay for. In Ralph's case, you reap what you sew. Bad seeds, bad harvest.

A serviceable alternative could be Matt Spaeth from Pittsburgh. 6'7" 270lbs former 3rd round pick has been stuck behind Heath Miller his entire career.

Interesting tidbit:

son of Terri and Ken Spaeth... father was a tight end at Nebraska (1975-77) and chosen in the fifth round of the 1978 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills

http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Matt-Spaeth/6e953cee-d299-44b8-9896-ca055f8872da

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

i read somewhere he is free agent. is this true? would like to get him. it would be nice to have a complete tight end.

I read he was a FA. And I totally agree with you. He's definitely on my wish list.

There are levels of "big signings." Kevin Boss won't break anybody's bank. But he could make a huge impact for the Bills.

Last year we had ZERO cheap veterans that can in and were servicable. Cheap and filled a slot -yes, they did do hat.

Cornel Grenn was worse at RT than an UDFA.

Andra Davis actually made Poz look good in pass coverage.

Dwan Edwards was ok, maybe serviceable, but not good enough to pressure a QB.

Torbor and Adeleye - part of the worst LB core maybe in the history of the team.

Sad thing is that we are far under the old cap.

The rebuild will take much longer without using Free Agency to fill a few holes. Remember that the Pats* had a lot of tier 2 free agents the year the stole the Super Bowl from the Rams. OK - They also had a strong base of talent that was built throught the draft but still, the Bills need to get seriuos about improving this moribund franchise.

That means take advantage of ALL ways to improve the team. That is what Buddy said. He said they will always be looking to improve the talent ... I guess to him that means raiding other teams practice squads and scouring the waiver wires.

I sure hopes he doesn't sleep through another free agency. Bring in a decent veteran RT, a TE that can play, and one solid LB/DL and then we have some flexibility to draft the BPA at draft slot #3. This is football, not rocket science.

Edited by Bob in STL

If I was gonna sign a couple of big FAs this is certainly the statement I would make:

Declaring you are gonna go FA bug tine destroys your leverage.

Negotiating with an individual player you would not want to signal that you can and must sign a big FA deal, We recently saw what happened when Arthur Blank publicly promised to sign a WR as an FA to give Vick a weapon, TD immediately franchised Peerless and named their Price after Falcs owner Blank forced himself into having to not only pay a big contract but trade a first for talent he generally declared he would pay a high price for.

If I was gonna sign some big time FAs I would come out and say

"we are really looking to add stud veteran TE, LBs, DLs, and Olman this year. We probabaly wont have the cash for all of the guys we want but we are willing to pay top dollar for worthy players. If you are a top player at one of those positions make sure you ont sign a contract until your agent talks to us. We are turning this sh*t around and gonna destroy our opponents in the near future"

That may be tampering but I hope not cause thats what I would say.

I don't mind the cheap vets and they produce, just as long as they stop bringing in guys like Green!

Any decent fa tight end that could start and perform right away. But if we aimed high for short term stability, that would not break the bank. We could use him as mentor there if we see a draftee we want to pick up. Boss sounds like an addition.

Agreed about green and one or two others we have. We needed expd players for our youngsters.

What Nix says he is going to do right now means nothing....you dont tip your hand

Guys I would like to see come back

Davis

Poz

Florence

Daunte's backup

I am quite sure we will fill most of our holes through the draft......but 2-3 select free agents now that Gailey and Nix have seen first hand what the holes are would not hurt

- Overpay for a young quality TE

- Someone who can come in and start immediately (and play well) at RT

Last year we had ZERO cheap veterans that can in and were servicable. Cheap and filled a slot -yes, they did do hat.

Cornel Grenn was worse at RT than an UDFA.

Torbor and Adeleye - part of the worst LB core maybe in the history of the team.

Sad thing is that we are far under the old cap.

The rebuild will take much longer without using Free Agency to fill a few holes. Remember that the Pats* had a lot of tier 2 free agents the year the stole the Super Bowl from the Rams. OK - They also had a strong base of talent that was built throught the draft but still, the Bills need to get seriuos about improving this moribund franchise.

That means take advantage of ALL ways to improve the team. That is what Buddy said. He said they will always be looking to improve the talent ... I guess to him that means raiding other teams practice squads and scouring the waiver wires.

I sure hopes he doesn't sleep through another free agency. Bring in a decent veteran RT, a TE that can play, and one solid LB/DL and then we have some flexibility to draft the BPA at draft slot #3. This is football, not rocket science.

Bob, you and I are on the same page. The Bills really boggle my mind more often than not. Every year - and already I'm doing it again - I say, this year will be different. I am giving Buddy and Gailey this offseason to fix this team and make it competitive before I judge their efforts overall. But, back to the confusing stuff. For the money they paid Green and Kelsay, they could affort one of the best players in the league, salary wise, or a couple very good positional players. They should be able to afford to pay Boss's salary twice with what they're paying Kelsay - and see who benefits the team more. It's not that they aren't paying people. They just need to stop paying for garbage, save that money and place it on a few less, but slightly more expensive, F.A.'s. As the team improves we'll be able to attract better players.

Let's hope they were saving their best for this year, and that last year was really just a "let's see what we've got" year.

Bob, you and I are on the same page. The Bills really boggle my mind more often than not. Every year - and already I'm doing it again - I say, this year will be different. I am giving Buddy and Gailey this offseason to fix this team and make it competitive before I judge their efforts overall. But, back to the confusing stuff. For the money they paid Green and Kelsay, they could affort one of the best players in the league, salary wise, or a couple very good positional players. They should be able to afford to pay Boss's salary twice with what they're paying Kelsay - and see who benefits the team more. It's not that they aren't paying people. They just need to stop paying for garbage, save that money and place it on a few less, but slightly more expensive, F.A.'s. As the team improves we'll be able to attract better players.

Let's hope they were saving their best for this year, and that last year was really just a "let's see what we've got" year.

The Cornel Green signing was mind boggling......I am wondering if they were hoping they could get anohter "under the radar OT" from the raiders like they did before to come in and play well (which he did).....twas not to be

I'm hoping the Bills pony up and go for a promising somewhat young tight end FA. One that will not only come here for the money but one who will also want to be a part of a growing team and would want to stick around. I'm tired of having well below average tight ends for so long. Chan's playbook has been severely handcuffed due to no solid TE. This needs to be rectified. Adding a growng TE would add a dynamic to our offense that would seriously enhance Chan's playbook. So here's to hoping we sign a good TE in FA so we can put more picks toward our D and let Chan drool over the new plays he can finally unleash on opponents.

Edited by Pilsner

I read he was a FA. And I totally agree with you. He's definitely on my wish list.

There are levels of "big signings." Kevin Boss won't break anybody's bank. But he could make a huge impact for the Bills.

+1

Boss is not a big time FA signing, just a smart one that would really help this team.

Edited by Green Lightning

+1

Boss is not a big time FA signing, just a smart one that would really help this team.

I disagree. Maybe it's because I live in the New York area that i think this but he is a pretty big name. But that's no reason why the Bills shouldn't sign him, this is a capped league.

There are a bunch of FA TE's who would be worth pursuing outside of Boss: Marcedes Lewis, Vernon Davis (though he probably stays with Harbaugh taking over), Kellen Winslow Jr. (he seems to have matured a lot, but will probably stay with the improving Bucs), Zach Miller and Owen Daniels.

Edited by Doc

There are a bunch of FA TE's who would be worth pursuing outside of Boss: Marcedes Lewis, Vernon Davis (though he probably stays with Harbaugh taking over), Kellen Winslow Jr. (he seems to have matured a lot, but will probably stay with the improving Bucs), Zach Miller and Owen Daniels.

I think that I would rather the Bills sign Boss than any other free agent at any position. I have seen quite a bit of him, and his size and blocking ability make him an absolutely perfect fit in Buffalo imo. He even reminds me a bit of Pete Metz. If they have to overpay to get him so be it. Let's win. :thumbsup:

Where is the new CBA going to be in all this?? If there is a new rookie cap or a big change in the overall cap structure that will have a huge impact on signings .

I don't expect too many FA will be signing until this thing is worked out....And maybe the front office will surprise us.

Ralph may be old but he is not dumb. I'm hoping he has been holding the "Cash to cap" down the last few years with an eye on the economy and the future.

Ralph has shown he will spend money....sometimes. Maybe he will surprise. Heh Ralph , you can't take it with you, the estate tax man is just around the corner. How about one more big run before you go.

Cornel Green was worse at RT than an UDFA.

Torbor and Ayodele - part of the worst LB core maybe in the history of the team.

<..>I sure hopes he doesn't sleep through another free agency. Bring in a decent veteran RT, a TE that can play, and one solid LB/DL and then we have some flexibility to draft the BPA at draft slot #3. This is football, not rocket science.

Me too on the "stay awake this year, Buddy". You get one year of sleeping on the premise you need to figure out what our real gaps are in a new system.

Now you know.

I thought Dwan Edwards was serviceable, but has a lot of mileage. Injuries no surprise there. Davis showed some moments, again, injuries no surprise.

Green, Torbor, and Ayodele are Exhibit A of what worries me most that we don't have the FO we need to win yet. Sorry to be a downer here, truth hurts.

I was going to vent my feelings on the Bills coaching and pre-season acquisitions here

I think they may take up their own post though.

Vernon Davis re-signed earlier this season with SF.

Seeing discussion of the TE's, I don't think they want anything more than a scaled down OT to help blocking at this point and for next season. They've got major issues at RT, ILB, OLB, and smaller positional problems at LT, NT, and CB. As much as we want a TE who can out-do the 23 catches their TE's put up this season, they've got more important priorities right now.

Besides, the GM brags about being asleep when UFA opens. What makes us think he's changed his mind or the powers that be have given him the budget to pursue anyone worth signing? Season ticket and attendance dropped sharply in 2010, which has probably affected their 2011 budgeting.

Edited by BillsVet

I think that I would rather the Bills sign Boss than any other free agent at any position. I have seen quite a bit of him, and his size and blocking ability make him an absolutely perfect fit in Buffalo imo. He even reminds me a bit of Pete Metz. If they have to overpay to get him so be it. Let's win. :thumbsup:

I'd be fine with Boss. Prior to the late season meltdown, I thought there was no way he'd leave the Giants. But he might want a change of scenery, and if the Bills give him a little extra, he might just come.

Vernon Davis re-signed earlier this season with SF.

Seeing discussion of the TE's, I don't think they want anything more than a scaled down OT to help blocking at this point and for next season. They've got major issues at RT, ILB, OLB, and smaller positional problems at LT, NT, and CB. As much as we want a TE who can out-do the 23 catches their TE's put up this season, they've got more important priorities right now.

Besides, the GM brags about being asleep when UFA opens. What makes us think he's changed his mind or the powers that be have given him the budget to pursue anyone worth signing? Season ticket and attendance dropped sharply in 2010, which has probably affected their 2011 budgeting.

You are correct about Davis. Although again I doubt he would have left with Harbaugh arriving.

I disagree about TE. I think that they're looking to get a dual-threat. Whether Buddy is sleeping at the start of FA again remains to be seen.

Me too on the "stay awake this year, Buddy". You get one year of sleeping on the premise you need to figure out what our real gaps are in a new system.

Now you know.

I thought Dwan Edwards was serviceable, but has a lot of mileage. Injuries no surprise there. Davis showed some moments, again, injuries no surprise.

Green, Torbor, and Ayodele are Exhibit A of what worries me most that we don't have the FO we need to win yet. Sorry to be a downer here, truth hurts.

I was going to vent my feelings on the Bills coaching and pre-season acquisitions here

I think they may take up their own post though.

Whenever I think about Nix's comment about sleeping when free agency started I picture George Costanza. Recall that George made a cozy little nap space under his desk while "working" in the front office at Yankee Satdium.

Whenever I think about Nix's comment about sleeping when free agency started I picture George Costanza. Recall that George made a cozy little nap space under his desk while "working" in the front office at Yankee Satdium.

The Nix line reminds me of when former Bills QB Billy Joe Hobert said that he "didn't study his playbook because he didn't expect to play" after a disastrous loss to the Pats* where he relieved an injured Todd Collins (Hobert later admitted his comment was untrue…he was only saying it for comic effect).

Sadly Nix, like Hobert, will probably never live down his words.

I disagree. Maybe it's because I live in the New York area that i think this but he is a pretty big name. But that's no reason why the Bills shouldn't sign him, this is a capped league.

On this side of the state he's a nice player and head and shoulders over anything we've had for a decade. That said he's not elite. Still won't be cheap but a perfect signing for us.