DT Kellen Heard

So...the Bills just signed DT Kellen Heard off the Raider's practice squad.

The guy is an absolute monster at 6' 5" - 355 pounds, and is reputed to have a nasty demeanor on the football field. After doing a little online research about the guy, I discovered that he also played RT in college (for Texas A&M and Memphis). Apparently, he was known to be a nasty run blocker. I know that it's probably unlikely to happen this season, but is there any chance this guy gets a look at RT?

Interesting :)

The guy is an absolute monster at 6' 5" - 355 pounds, and is reputed to have a nasty demeanor on the football field. After doing a little online research about the guy, I discovered that he also played RT in college (for Texas A&M and Memphis). Apparently, he was known to be a nasty run blocker. I know that it's probably unlikely to happen this season, but is there any chance this guy gets a look at RT?

I doubt it unless they use him only as a run-blocker.

This... from Oakland beat writer Jeff Armstrong 6/12/10

"Oakland has not seen anything like this in a very long time, if ever. Even if Kellen Heard just stands in his gap responsibility and doesn't move at all, it will still be a nightmare trying to run around him and Henderson. I hereby declare the "one' holes officially closed for business. Heard won't just stand like a statue, however, because he is surprisingly quick and agile for a man his size. He is a mauler with attitude."

hmmm....If this guy works out....could we see a move back to the 4-3 with Troup and Heard at DT and KW and Carrington at DE? Now that would be a monster D-line.

Troup is still learning the game. We do not know if he will take the next step as a NFL player.

Heard is straight off the practice Oakland PS. How good can he be right now?

Kyle Williams is a DT not a DE.

Carrington is learning and having a very tought time against the run.

Who rushes the passer? How is this a monster line?

Edited by Bob in STL

hmmm....If this guy works out....could we see a move back to the 4-3 with Troup and Heard at DT and KW and Carrington at DE? Now that would be a monster D-line.

We just picked this guy up off Oakland's practice squad and you're talking about him being a potential starter? Give me a break.

In part due to injury, and dare I say it, also in part to Nix and company trying to find players who can help the team, we seem to be very actively scouring our opponents practice squads. Whether we find any real players or not, I do like how Nix & company aren't simply sitting on their hands. D-line help is obviously needed. TE's have been an issue for a long time. LB's also are needed. We have a lot of holes, and if the Bills can hit on a couple PS signings, our draft may be able to be a bit more focused and productive.

This is exactly what the Bills should be doing, pilfering other teams' practice squads. I like this.

Agreed. Love what Buddy is doing. PS guys are guys with potential. Look at the good use the Bengals made of the PS two years ago when they were good. Bill Parcells had exactly the same attitude and approach. When he was turning a franchise around he would say that he would just keep bringing guys in until he found some that could play. Ans another teams PS is a good place to find them. Buddy is a pro.

In part due to injury, and dare I say it, also in part to Nix and company trying to find players who can help the team, we seem to be very actively scouring our opponents practice squads. Whether we find any real players or not, I do like how Nix & company aren't simply sitting on their hands. D-line help is obviously needed. TE's have been an issue for a long time. LB's also are needed. We have a lot of holes, and if the Bills can hit on a couple PS signings, our draft may be able to be a bit more focused and productive.

Ok, I give him some props for working it. Now, when real free agency starts lets hope he stays awake long enough to get us some help at TE, OT, DE, Dt, ILB, and OLB. I am talking about adding instant starters and leaders that wil help us win games.

Edited by Bob in STL

For what it's worth...Oakland is pretty deep at the DT position. They have Seymour and Tommy Kelly, with John Henderson rotating in. Maybe...just maybe this kid has talent, but was just buried in their depth chart. I really like the fact that he plays with a "nasty demeanor," as I feel that we need a little more of that on this team.

So far the reaction by Raiders fans is quite underwhelming.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/173014-dt-kellen-heard-signed-off-raiders-ps-buffalo.html

I was quite surprised that when I visited the site a few moments ago that there were only two members and one guest logged onto the board. At the same time, we had 30 members and 70 guests on our site. And Raidersfans.net is the self-proclaimed "Largest Oakland Raiders Fan Community on the NET!" And this for a team in playoff contention with a supposedly zealous fan base.

Further evidence that Bills fans are among the very best…several steps above Raiders fans.

BTW, there is very little out there on Heard, scouting reports and stuff like that. He was offered a scholarship to Miami, attended Texas A&M for three years, and transferred to Memphis for his senior year. He was undrafted this spring and it doesn't seem that he started many games in college.

Unlike most of his draft class, Heard is not 22 years old. He's 25.

This guy kind of reminds me of Lonnie Hearvy a guy we claimed off of Carolina's practice squad when Fewell took over last season. Hearvy was a big DT with a lot of potential who was suppose to be the next Pat Williams. Heard has potential he is nasty but he was an UDFA which means there are obviously flaws to his game or else he would have been drafted by some team.

Man I hope not, we need SIZE on the D-line there will be plenty of big O-line guys in the draft we can get.

Heard is straight off the practice Oakland PS. How good can he be right now?

Ask Danny Woodhead.

Ok, I give him some props for working it. Now, when real free agency starts lets hope he stays awake long enough to get us some help at TE, OT, DE, Dt, ILB, and OLB. I am talking about adding instant starters and leaders that wil help us win games.

The problem with this assertion is that Nix has stated that he doesn't believe in signing top name FAs, but rather bringing in guys that are complimentary, good but not great players. He believes in building through the draft and it's hard to argue with teams that have taken that approach, ala Patsies, despite my disdain for them and their organization - it is hard not to respect how they go about their business and keep building the depth of their talent.