Is anyone thinking Cam Newton?

zevo

I read somewhere that he will be entering the draft....does he interest anyone and it will be interesting to see just how high his stock rises. I admit that I am intrigued. If luck comes out...then I am less intrigued.

No, we should focus hard on convincing ourselves that a Stanford QB is the answer since it's worked so well in the past for us.

Luck is a winner, Edwards was not. Luck has stayed relatively healthy, Edwards did not. Luck has put big numbers in college agaisnt good competition, Edwards did not. Ask Denver how the Stanford QB they drafted worked out. :thumbsup:

I worry he only had 1 year of serious competition

I have to agree with you here. While he does have a lot of the physical tools to potentially be a franchise QB at the NFL level, I think he would benefit tremendously from staying in school an additional year.

No, we should focus hard on convincing ourselves that a Stanford QB is the answer since it's worked so well in the past for us.

Ummm isnt this the thinking that got the bills f.o. in trouble for not drafting orakpo because they hated UT players. Each player is a separate entity and should be treated as such. Do you get judged on your work performance because someone who went to the same college as you did a good or bad job? :wallbash:

Racist comparison. Their styles of play are not alike in the least.

ummm does it have to be racist or could it be that he was thinking that cam newton would be a bust?

ummm does it have to be racist or could it be that he was thinking that cam newton would be a bust?

I seriously doubt that was his thinking. And even if it was, the comparison still wouldn't make sense. Russell was a first overall draft pick. Newton won't even go in the first round.

Racist comparison. Their styles of play are not alike in the least.

WTF???

It's 'racist' to think Newton will be a huge bust in the NFL, like Russell???? :blink:

Racist comparison.

I seriously doubt that was his thinking. And even if it was, the comparison still wouldn't make sense. Russell was a first overall draft pick. Newton won't even go in the first round.

How do you have any idea what i was thinking? Are you sitting here next to me?

Newton goes against Nixs' philosophy of taking guys who have proven 3-4 years of productive college careers. That's not saying Newton won't be really good in the pros. I don't think he will be another Jamarcus Russell but he's probably not worthy of a top 5 pick.

I read somewhere that he will be entering the draft....does he interest anyone and it will be interesting to see just how high his stock rises. I admit that I am intrigued. If luck comes out...then I am less intrigued.

Sure!

We could use a TE (he caught a TD pass from the wildcat last game), or even a LB, but as a QB...NOPE!

He's Vince Young without the arm.

I just have one word: and without this you can't be a great QB in the NFL and sorry but Cam doesn't have that one thing...

"accuracy"

It's Andrew Luck or Ryan Mallett - anyone else is a waste of time.

See Pat White for further discussion...

Pat White wasn't 6'5" and 260 pounds

see Jamarcus Russell

Yeah and it turned out horribly for Denver too.

Worked out good for Oakland too.

Only Notre Dame QB alums have won more Super Bowls with 5. Stanford is tied with Alabama, Purdue and LaTech with 4.

So based solely on Super Bowl success you'll be hard pressed to do better than Stanford.

I can just see the headlines when the Bills draft Luck and then 2 years later cut him loose for being a total disappointment. "Bills out of Luck" "No Luck for the Bills". Ech its almost worth not going after the guy just for having a stupid last name. Then again we took Losman and that turned out ok... oh wait nevermind.

Although I like the kid I have to agree with your point, I even said the same thing the other day. The question I've been asking for a couple of weeks now is can he throw the ball? Otherwise he will be Tebow2.

That he can... the huge difference here is Newton can throw the ball well... pro style arm and accuracy seems legit... this run first crap is starting to drive me nuts... yes they played an inferior team last saturday but thats all the guy did was sit back in the pocket... now in no way am I saying he will be a superstar QB...but assuming facts is annoying to me

Worked out good for Oakland too.

Only Notre Dame QB alums have won more Super Bowls with 5. Stanford is tied with Alabama, Purdue and LaTech with 4.

So based solely on Super Bowl success you'll be hard pressed to do better than Stanford.

That's back when Bill Walsh was at Stanford grooming those guys. Now a days Stanford cranks out NFL starts like Trent Edwards. There is no reason to think that a QB from Stanford now has anything to do with the stars coming out of the school when Walsh was there.

I just have one word: and without this you can't be a great QB in the NFL and sorry but Cam doesn't have that one thing...

"accuracy"

It's Andrew Luck or Ryan Mallett - anyone else is a waste of time.

Pat White wasn't 6'5" and 260 pounds

see Jamarcus Russell

Just for that, the Bills are going to pick somebody else. If only you had kept your mouth shut about the time wasting!

I'm sure some folks are interested - I just hope they don't work in the Bills' front office.

Last year there was a lot of talk that the Bills were interested in Tebow as a second round pick. Nix was the main selector in last year's draft.

Edited by JohnC