Relax, it had to be done

When you hire a new GM and head coach you have to let them build the team and although it may not be popular some tough decisions are made.

Marshawn Lynch was not in Buddy's plans and it seemed obvious when Spiller was drafted. The peek time to trade a player is after regular season injuries. So why is Marshawn on his way to Seattle. The Coaches made their choice and the Bills are not interested in new deals for undependable players.

How will the players react? The players will regroup,back Fred Jackson and C.J.Spiller and move on. The most difficult trades involve team leadership and the Bills simply removed a virus.Lynch wanted out,he wants that big next deal and the Bills were costing him money. Marshawn Lynch begged for this trade and that effects the locker room!

Was it a fair deal? I would say Buffalo did better then expected. Problem players generally repeat and the Seahawks took a large gamble and there is a chance they will lose.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

When you hire a new GM and head coach you have to let them build the team and although it may not be popular some tough decisions are made.

Marshawn Lynch was not in Buddy's plans and it seemed obvious when Spiller was drafted. The peek time to trade a player is after regular season injuries. So why is Marshawn on his way to Seattle. The Coaches made their choice and the Bills are not interested in new deals for undependable players.

How will the players react? The players will regroup,back Fred Jackson and C.J.Spiller and move on. The most difficult trades involve team leadership and the Bills simply removed a virus.Lynch wanted out,he wants that big next deal and the Bills were costing him money. Marshawn Lynch begged for this trade and that effects the locker room!

Was it a fair deal? I would say Buffalo did better then expected. Problem players generally repeat and the Seahawks took a large gamble and there is a chance they will lose.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Agree totally. And, welcome back.

At some point you have to bottom out and gut the roster I expect Whitner to be traded and possibly Stroud. Evans is another player I expect to be traded (Although that one might happen in the off-season). If we can land an extra 2nd (For Evans) an extra extra 4th (For Whitner) and a late round pick for Stroud I would be happy because we needed to start from scratch and getting a top 5 or 3 pick along with getting a ton of extra picks from players already on the roster is a move that had to be done.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Welcome back!

Like to know your views on a couple things. First, is there any chance of trading for a decent LB or two who could help our D this season?

Or in your view, is it too hard to work a player into the system midseason? Does it all have to be done through the draft?

(this scares me 'cuz our draft judgement has seemed to suck esp. on D). Second you say Bills removed a virus, do you think (or have info)

Lynch is part of the "lose the hustle, lose the game, keep the paycheck" attitude?

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Great post, I completely agree.

Welcome back!

Like to know your views on a couple things. First, is there any chance of trading for a decent LB or two who could help our D this season?

Or in your view, is it too hard to work a player into the system midseason? Does it all have to be done through the draft?

(this scares me 'cuz our draft judgement has seemed to suck esp. on D). Second you say Bills removed a virus, do you think (or have info)

Lynch is part of the "lose the hustle, lose the game, keep the paycheck" attitude?

Great question, Most coaches will build a defense by adding a defensive leader,then draft players that work well with a properly motivated Captain. A leader is really a coach.

As for Marshawn and the Virus, this started after the second arrest and the suspension. Lynch came back and was easily replaced by a backup, Fred Jackson. The practices were dreadful and the team turned on him because the effort died and Lynch became a locker room disaster.

GOT TO GO, THE BILLS WILL RECOVER and you never know how those draft picks will be used, it may help Buffalo move up in the draft.

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

Great question, Most coaches will build a defense by adding a defensive leader,then draft players that work well with a properly motivated Captain. A leader is really a coach.

Hmmmm, sounds like a potential rationale for keeping Kelsay around?

Edited by Punch

Great post, I completely agree.

One of the worst teams in the league got rid their best player, and he is 24 years old!

it is like some on this board are plying a video game! Reality will prove you very wrong--I almost guarantee it. And it won't be years down the road, but weeks.

I wonder what you will say after a few weeks of Lynch playing for the Seahwaks...

Great to see ya back on the board.Excellent post.

The roster will be purged even more by next year.This

is going to be a long one,but a necessary evil.We are

stockpiling draft picks like gold,just like the Cowboys did

when they traded Herschel Walker to the Vikes(marshawn was/is no HW)

Wait till the next draft and see all the moves we make.Remember in any

negotiation you want to have the position of strength ie draftpicks to go

get the player we want.I expect whitner to be moved next.Im sure mgmt is real

happy about him running his mouth on twitter and to the press.

I am not a big fan of Kelsay(who is)but I believe he is a leader on our

atrocious defense and someone who can help teach new players how to be a

pro the correct way.That is the only reason he was extended,It sure wasn't for

his outstanding play on Sundays..

the worst is yet to come,but the future will be bright..believe in buddy. I do!

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Welcome back DC.

I agree. It had to be done and that 4th round pick could be a starting LB, a RT, or TE someday.

This move should have happened in the offseason, during draft weekend, or anytime before the season started. It's embarassing getting a 4th round pick for a player that was drafted first round and has the talent. Everyone knew there would not be enough touches to go around having 3 quality backs. Showcase him in the preseason. Buddy and the whole front office are idiots(i don't know how any of them have jobs), and should have addressed this prior to the start of the season. You would look like an idiot then back in April/May just as you do now in October. Fire the entire FO!

Kelsay deal, are you kidding me!

One of the worst teams in the league got rid their best player, and he is 24 years old!

it is like some on this board are plying a video game! Reality will prove you very wrong--I almost guarantee it. And it won't be years down the road, but weeks.

I wonder what you will say after a few weeks of Lynch playing for the Seahwaks...

Quit spewing your crap in this thread. You already started one with such doozies as "Lynch for a FIRST rounder would have been CRAZY!!!!" or "Lynch was the best player on this team."

Yeah okay. Lynch playing for the Seahwawks won't mean a thing. Dude couldnt beat out Fred Jackson. The ONLY reason he played so much this year was because they were showcasing him - trying to increase his value.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Good to hear a sane voice with respect to all of this. Glad you're back.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

If Lynch wasn't in Buddy's plans, than Buddy should have changed his plans because Lynch has played harder and better than any other player on the roster. By the time this team contends, Fred Jackson will be a senior citizen in football terms and Spiller isn't the between the tackles grind-em kind of back that Lynch can be.

The one thing you say that makes sense is the money part of it. Jackson is signed to a modest contract and won't complain. Marshawn would have wanted a new contract. We all know Ralph only pays big money to mediocre players that he has an inexplicable fondness for. This was all about Ralph's back pocket.

I don't see how the Seahawks took a big gamble. Even if Marshawn gives them nothing, all they gave up was a lousy 4th rounder. This was a BIG win for the Seahawks.

It is a gamble for Seattle. Lynch is 1 strike away from a year suspension. 4th round picks are not lousy. Rounds 3-5 are where the heart of your team comes from. They may take some time to adjust to the league but account for quality starters and depth. Here are some 2006 4th and 5th rounders: Owen Daniels, Brando Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Williams, Dawan Landry.

I don't see how the Seahawks took a big gamble. Even if Marshawn gives them nothing, all they gave up was a lousy 4th rounder. This was a BIG win for the Seahawks.

He is an idiot that hit a person with his car and then got busted for pot and a gun...... That makes him a risk..... A BIG RISK

Edited by GR8PRKN

Lynch himself killed his Buffalo career. No one in the Bills' front office made him hit and run a Canadian chick. No one on the coaching staff made him drive around with a gun in his trunk while smoking weed.

Every team in the league knows Lynch is one strike away from at least a year long suspension. And I know for a fact, that Marshawn has been getting kicked out of bars and getting slapped by females as recently as this summer.

I loved the way Marshawn played but he was hardly a game changing back. Move on.

Lynch himself killed his Buffalo career. No one in the Bills' front office made him hit and run a Canadian chick. No one on the coaching staff made him drive around with a gun in his trunk while smoking weed.

Every team in the league knows Lynch is one strike away from at least a year long suspension. And I know for a fact, that Marshawn has been getting kicked out of bars and getting slapped by females as recently as this summer.

I loved the way Marshawn played but he was hardly a game changing back. Move on.

I loved BeastMode early on... but I wouldn't be shocked if he were out of the league sooner rather than later.

I loved BeastMode early on... but I wouldn't be shocked if he were out of the league sooner rather than later.

I don't mean to trash the guy but trust me, he has not cleaned up his act at all. I know a few Lynch stories of stuff he has done since he has been suspended. Not saying he is the worst person in the world but he still has a long way to go to mature.

Add to that the style he runs with, he may have a short shelf life. Obviously, you wanted to get something a little more but his value was limited.

A player would have been nice, but generally value is set by an active market and the Sehawks were probably offering the most.

I was hoping for a player in return, but its water under the Peace bridge now

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

I agree completely... the bottom line with Lynch was that he was either going in trade or going for nothing a year later. In either case the Bills were going to lose him before they got much better, so he wasn't part of the solution.

It simply comes down to when is the best place to get the most value... draft time, end of preseason or in-season injuries. In-season seems to be the time when its most likely to find the most desperation for someone to acquire a proven player. So that's now.

Its always tough trading for draft picks, because teams just value them too much, plus when you look at when a player was drafted it seems like your getting ripped off. Clearly nobody was ready to give a 3 for him. If the Packers were interested, they clearly will be drafting near the end of each round, so it seems the 4th is the best that can be done. They got another pick thrown in, which is not too bad. Seattle is a team looking to get better over the longer run, so its a good deal for them, but they weren't going to give away the store for him.

As for Marshawn and the Virus, this started after the second arrest and the suspension. Lynch came back and was easily replaced by a backup, Fred Jackson. The practices were dreadful and the team turned on him because the effort died and Lynch became a locker room disaster.

GOT TO GO, THE BILLS WILL RECOVER and you never know how those draft picks will be used, it may help Buffalo move up in the draft.

Thanks for the POV, Die Hard. Talley tweeted Williams is a stud, draft around him, what's your take?

It seems we need at least 3 stud LB and a DE. That seems like a lot to acquire through the draft.

And I cringe at the need to draft talent because of recent years, many of our choices seem so bad.

Maybe it will be different now.

I was hoping for a player in return, but its water under the Peace bridge now

That's what I was hoping for -- a playmaker LB or solid OT

I guess no one was willing to part with someone we liked.

This move should have happened in the offseason, during draft weekend, or anytime before the season started. It's embarassing getting a 4th round pick for a player that was drafted first round and has the talent. Everyone knew there would not be enough touches to go around having 3 quality backs. Showcase him in the preseason. Buddy and the whole front office are idiots(i don't know how any of them have jobs), and should have addressed this prior to the start of the season. You would look like an idiot then back in April/May just as you do now in October. Fire the entire FO!

Kelsay deal, are you kidding me!

Maybe they wanted to show case him in the preseason, but the nut sprained an ankle and could not play until week one, thus the show case. He also showed lack of team when he did not show for OTA etc. How do you trade a guy at that point. Chan show cased him and got a 4th and conditional pick (Nfl Network said a sixth). The Conditional is proably if Lynch does not get suspended.

Edited by Throwback Bills

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

You are right, they just had to trade the one player that has done more than any draft pick the team made during the entire decade (with the only possible exception being Schobel). Weren't you the one who said they were done posting on here?

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

glad to see you back around!! although im not so sure the current state of the board will be any less frustrating :thumbsup:

agreed with your post, and agreed that everyone just needs to relax and let this year happen. its going to be a rough journey this year, and fans going off the deep end only serve to make it rougher. there is a plan, its just not for RIGHT NOW. we're going to have to be patient to see it come together.

Thanks for the POV, Die Hard. Talley tweeted Williams is a stud, draft around him, what's your take?

It seems we need at least 3 stud LB and a DE. That seems like a lot to acquire through the draft.

And I cringe at the need to draft talent because of recent years, many of our choices seem so bad.

Maybe it will be different now.

through ONE draft, yes. but a complete rebuild is at least a 3 year plan. so 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods.

The bottom line for me is whether or not Marshawn Lynch is better than Fred Jackson, with a time horizon of the two years left on his contract. After watching the past two seasons, I think that Jackson has been the better RB. With Spiller doing his thing, that means Lynch's role in Buffalo was going to be RB3, a position that's usually filled by a guy who plays special teams, gets one carry per game, and is at permanent risk of getting replaced by the next Andre Anderson to come down the road. Sometimes it's worth keeping the third-best runner if he's an unusually good pass-catcher (Kevin Faulk) or does great work in blitz pickup. Lynch isn't that guy.

So basically, his value to us stays at "injury replacement" level, and backups are certainly important, we're talking about a third-string backup with no special teams play. I don't think our team is notably worse without him.

So the question turns to compensation, and I mean, if we rejected an offer for a 3rd in April or August, that's on the front office for not anticipating the market accurately. Forgivable, perhaps, but wrong. I don't know for certain that that deal was ever there. But in October, you can only make the moves that are offered to you in October. There's a week until the trade deadline; I don't think a better offer was about to turn up. I don't think Nix ignored better offers in the past ten days. Green Bay didn't beat this offer. Philly didn't beat this offer. If they did, Lynch would be wearing Green.

The mismanagement was in the books before this trade was made - maybe it was wrong to draft Lynch, maybe it was wrong to draft Spiller, maybe we should have traded Lynch in the offseason. At least one of those things is true. But that can't affect the decision-making today.

And I think of it this way: with the BIlls current roster, what would I trade for an RB who's unlikely to earn carries, but if he had a full season, might be an 1100 yard guy? If the Lions called asking if we wanted Kevin Smith, what would we give up for him?

It is a gamble for Seattle. Lynch is 1 strike away from a year suspension. 4th round picks are not lousy. Rounds 3-5 are where the heart of your team comes from. They may take some time to adjust to the league but account for quality starters and depth. Here are some 2006 4th and 5th rounders: Owen Daniels, Brando Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Williams, Dawan Landry.

The Bills record in the fourth round for a quarter century is disastrous.

GO BILLS

DIE HARD 1967

Welcome back, kinda knew you couldn't stay away

It would have been better if they made this deal in the off season pre-draft when Seattle wanted him then, same compensation as I understand it and that 4th could have been used this year.

Anyway, I just don't see this team improving the running offense with the current O line. Why they didn't address the O line early in the draft makes me wonder if this staff has a clue how to build a team.