Bills playing Hardball with Packers re: Lynch trade

DaveinElma

http://joeslockerroom.com/On_The_Sidelines.html

First the Lynch rumor. I have learned the Packers and Bills have been in discussions that had the Packers sending Donald and/or Pat Lee along with a 4th round pick (that could move up to a second rounder based on performance) to Buffalo for Lynch and a 7th round pick (that could move to a 6th based on performance). The sticking point at 5:30 pm (pst) was Lynch wanting a new deal (or years added on) to his contract while the Packers (GM Ted Thompson) wanted to wait to address his contract situation until after the season.

As of 9pm (pst) I received an e-mail from a source who said that the Bills now want OLB Brad Jones and Pat Lee for Lynch and a late round conditional pick and that the deal was "dead at the moment, but the two teams agreed to talk again Thursday." The Bills say that Lynch is not on the market, but I was told that he is indeed on the market and that the Bills are playing "hard ball with the Packers". I was also told that "a couple Packers called Lynch and he wants to be a Packer".

:cry:

I know. It sucks. I remember posting something about that when Rodgers was drafted. That from now on JP would be compared to Rodgers because he would have been there for the Bills had they not made the move.

Of course at the time I was on the JP bandwagon ... :wallbash:

This is going to sound far fetched, but if this is true maybe the reason the Bills want a corner is that they know of another team in need of a corner that is willing to trade for a player we want at a position of need...... I know it sounds stupid but I just thought I'd speculate

The report indicated the earliest the trade would take place is next Tuesday.

That makes sense. If Lynch does not suit up this weekend, we'll know he's history. Can't imagine they would play him, especially vs. Green Bay, if there was a deal in place or imminent.

Our hopeless situation is attributable to the offensive line, to wit, the two tackles. We should have addressed that long ago, and if there is a possibilty to get an adequate offensive tackle for Lynch, I say go for it. I just don't think there is any adequate tackle that any team is in any position to give up right now. Like a previous poster says, why trade for a receiver to whom we can't get the ball. Why not be able to get the ball to Vince when we are already successful at not getting the ball to Roscoe or Lee? I disagree that it is the quarterback until we have an actual pass blocking situation that allows me to see whether the quarterback can get the ball to the receivers.

Aaron Rodgers would have been blown up in Buffalo. It takes coaching talent to create a QB. We have not had that here or JP would still be playing.

He doesn't spend years behind Favre if we hadn't drafted JP. Then again, maybe Losman would have spent those years behind Favre instead...

I haven't seen it discussed in this thread, but ESPN Rumours is saying that a trade could be Lynch for AJ Hawk (LB). Apparently he barely played against the Eagles. I didn't realize he was in the doghouse in GB. Not sure if there would have to be any draft pick adjustment to that one?

I'm ignorant of Hawk lately, but I know he was picked very high 5th or 6th overall a couple years ago. Lost track of him in Green Bay.

Do we like that one?

Edited by cage

How many years does Hawk have left on his deal? I can't imagine too many. The only deals that make sense for the Bills are ones that stock draft picks quite honestly. I don't know enough about Hawk to make a judgment, but I do know that he is heavily criticized by Packers fans for lacking a certain football IQ. Any linebacker could help the Bills sure, but I don't see what Hawk brings the team.

Unless we are trading for a OT, I'd rather see the team stock draft picks.

That being said, 0 credible sources have mentioned the Bills/Packers trade talks. That could be because we are playing the Pack this week, but who knows. If Nix doesn't have Lynch on the block, he has to be crazy. 3 RBs are only useful if a team calls 25-30 running reps a game. I don't even know if the Bills called 30 offensive plays IN TOTAL against the Dolphins. Having that much talent doesn't make sense IMO.

Personally, I'd rather keep Lynch and get rid of Jackson. Not saying Lynch is the better player. Just saying that Lynch is 24 and Jackson is rounding the corner to 30.

Edited by Union2008

So now we have to waste top ten picks on RBs so that we can justify trading our other should-not-have-been top 12 pick RB....

The stupidity in the Bills FO is mind boggling.

Its a fair point. At this point, Lynch can be considered a lost cause and a wasted # 12 pick I think. The interesting aspect is that the guy is a talented RB. I don't doubt he is capable of putting up big numbers if he gets 20 reps a game behind a good O-Line. And no one really expected Fred Jackson to explode on to the scene like he did. I don't any of us can hate on the Spiller pick too much. Nix explained the approach very honestly and said that they were focused on OT, but the two OTs they saw as worth taking at 9 were off the board (Okung and Williams). Which, by the way, seems to have been a fairly accurate assessment. Williams had a great showing against the Cowboys. I don't know about Okung because he has been injured. But, after those two, look what you have:

-Anthony Davis who was responsible for two sacks, a forced fumble and a false start as RT against the Seahawks last week.

-Bulaga isn't even starting and might not even end up playing as a OT

-Saffold seems to have had a good game. But, there is 0 chance he was going as a top 10 pick, so its not really worth debating

-Beadles struggled with penalties against the Jags and had the expected rookie troubles with speed rushers, but wasn't even penciled in as a OT. Was playing LG until an injury forced him to RT.

-Ducasse, we've all seen hard knocks and know the answer to his poor transition

-Charles Brown isn't starting, but he is on the Saints, so its hard to tell what he could have brought to the table. Saints have a good O-line as it is.

Those are the OTs drafted in the first 2 rounds. Certainly not saying these guys will be busts. In fact most of them will probably put together very solid careers. I'm just staying, none of these guys were ready to step in at LT on day 1 and provide the Bills what they need most. I wouldn't have taken any of them over Spiller. Throw me Trent Williams and I might feel differently, but otherwise, all indications point to the Bills making the right call.

Edited by Union2008

Honestly, I be surprised if anything happened until AFTER the game on Sunday. Swapping players who had knowledge of each other playbooks doesn't make sense until after the game is over.

Agreed, if this is indeed true.

Pat Lee is a CB, i don't see any possibility that he is involved with this trade and leads me to think these are just rumors.

I could see him as a negotiating tool that they'll drop to look like they are giving in on something. JMO

It's also possible that what is written below is part of it too.

This is going to sound far fetched, but if this is true maybe the reason the Bills want a corner is that they know of another team in need of a corner that is willing to trade for a player we want at a position of need...... I know it sounds stupid but I just thought I'd speculate

As long as we're making daring predictions I'd say that if Lee is involved that Amstel could be right. The Bills, supposedly, want Gaither. BMore supposedly wants CB's. Could it be Lynch for Lee and Jones from GB and then Terrence McGee to the cRavens for Gaither?

That makes sense. If Lynch does not suit up this weekend, we'll know he's history. Can't imagine they would play him, especially vs. Green Bay, if there was a deal in place or imminent.

Or they could showcase him to get GB to agree to the deal. The danger there is that he ends up sucking or injured.

So now we have to waste top ten picks on RBs so that we can justify trading our other should-not-have-been top 12 pick RB....

The stupidity in the Bills FO is mind boggling.

If you have not noticed ...its a different front office than the FO who drafted Marshawn Lynch...

These guys have drafted Aaron Maybin, Eric Wood, Andy Levitre, Jarius Byrd, CJ Spiller & Torrel Troupe in their first 2 rounds...

That does not sound far fetched.

Perhaps we will move a McGee, McKelvin, Youbuty, or Florence for a player/ draft pick and we bring in this Lee guy to fill their slot.

I'd love to see some wheeling and dealing.

The OLB had 4 sacks. I don't see Kelsay getting anything close to that.