QB Matt Leinart to Bills ??

papazoid

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by: Adam Caplan (Fox Sports)

Matt Leinart, Cardinals QB – Despite throwing for a high completion percentage (82.6%) during the preseason, Leinart actually has not performed at an acceptable level. The southpaw has continued to check the ball down, an indication that he’s not seeing the field clearly.

Because of that and other factors, the coaching staff has decided to move veteran QB Derek Anderson ahead of Leinart on the depth chart. Anderson also started last week’s preseason game against the Chicago Bears. One thing to keep in mind is that the current coaching staff was not around when Leinart was drafted in 2006, so they have no allegiance to him. He’s scheduled to earn $2.845 million this season in base salary.

That's unlikely, to be kind.

You know, looking at his stats, I stand corrected - Anderson is also pretty bad.

And yet, he was better than and will be starting over Leinart - why do we want Leinart again? Because we can have our own slightly older version of Sanchez?

:wallbash: These are going to be a long couple of weeks because this board is going to jump up and down wanting every castaway that other teams are discarding or rumored to be throwing away.

Leinart ... :blink: he's just not very good. Now, I am not saying that we have 4 superstar studs at QB but at least our four have been in camp working through the Gailey system. I don't like Fitz as the #1 but he is a leader that the team respects. I will admit to being in the Brohm camp during the off season but Trent appears to have figured out the Gailey system and is looking like he did when we all had great hope for him. Levi in his brief appearance also appears to have promise.

So, anyone who is suggesting bringing in a headache quarterback to the Bills ... needs to think again.

GO BILLS ... SQUISH THE FISH! :thumbsup:

Sometimes I think Bills fans want this team to suck. It's the only explanation.

PTR

PROMO ... they aren't fans.

They are people who just love to hear themselves rant and scream. They are the ones who sit behind a family at a game and scream curse words at the players and/or refs thinking that somehow by doing that they will change the course of football history while at the same time they are ruining a special family day. They are the teenagers who feel it's necessary to shout epitats at Edwards during a practice session that is open to fans for our enjoyment.

If you are a fan of any team ... you want your team to win NOW ... not tomorrow ... not in 2 years! The only time I can even imagine wanting your team to lose is at the end of the season when they have already failed and have a chance for a higher draft pick.

So, the LIST MAKING boys at GR ... they don't even watch the entire game so let them dream of winless seasons ... the board posters who are closet Fin or Patriot fans .... well they need to find a board where they can hope for undefeated seasons.

I want the Bills to win every game possible .. am not foolish enough to think that anything close to that is possible but this is a better team with Gailey than with Jauron ... I can only see improvements for us.

GO BILLS

#1- the Bills have one of the WORST starting QB's in the NFL in Trent Edwards.

#2- i assume the braintrust at OBD also knows this and will be looking at all possibilities to upgrade the position.

#3- Matt Leinart has a contract that FORCES arizona to dump him.

#4- by most accounts he has played well enough to get the starting job.

#5- ARZ is actively shopping him, but no one will want him at his current contract.

#6- he will probably be cut by saturday, when teams go down to 53.

#7- he is still young and has UPSIDE.

#8- i happen to think he is BETTER than Trent Edwards, but not by much.

#9- he is probably an upgrade over Brohm.

#10- he might view buffalo as a legitimate place to play and eventually start.

#11- i did phrase my post in the form of a ?? question.

#12- it certainly is a possibility.

Trent Edwards is one year younger than Leinart, but has put up better stats than the USC bust (aka Sanchez-West) EVERY SEASON since he's been in the league.

QB Ratings - Edwards vs. Leinart

2009 TE 73.8 ML 64.6

2008 TE 85.4 ML 80.2

2007 TE 70.4 ML 61.9

2006 TE ---- ML 74.0

And that's despite Leinart playing on a generally better team that's consistently had better receivers - arguably the best receiver tandem in the league over that period.

But sure - be a troll and scream how the Bills would improve with this complete stiff.

Edited by BobChalmers

:wallbash: These are going to be a long couple of weeks because this board is going to jump up and down wanting every castaway that other teams are discarding or rumored to be throwing away.

Leinart ... :blink: he's just not very good. Now, I am not saying that we have 4 superstar studs at QB but at least our four have been in camp working through the Gailey system. I don't like Fitz as the #1 but he is a leader that the team respects. I will admit to being in the Brohm camp during the off season but Trent appears to have figured out the Gailey system and is looking like he did when we all had great hope for him. Levi in his brief appearance also appears to have promise.

So, anyone who is suggesting bringing in a headache quarterback to the Bills ... needs to think again.

GO BILLS ... SQUISH THE FISH! :thumbsup:

Hey dopey, learn how to read. Adam Schefter is reporting that the Bills are one of three teams with interest. That's not us "jumping up and down." That's the front offices using the 'ol telephone.

Sounds to me like his agent is talking to reporters. And the wording is kind of interesting and also sounds to me like agent induced. Have had discussions could easily mean the Cards called the Bills and asked if we were interested, or wanted Fitz in return, or wanted one of our DBs in return. it doesnt at all mean the Bills are interested in Leinart and I would be completely shocked if we were for six different good reasons.

Trent Edwards is one year younger than Leinart, but has put up better stats than the USC bust (aka Sanchez-West) EVERY SEASON since he's been in the league.

QB Ratings - Edwards vs. Leinart

2009 TE 73.8 ML 64.6

2008 TE 85.4 ML 80.2

2007 TE 70.4 ML 61.9

2006 TE ---- ML 74.0

And that's despite Leinart playing on a generally better team that's consistently had better receivers - arguably the best receiver tandem in the league over that period.

But sure - be a troll and scream how the Bills would improve with this complete stiff.

you can check my posting history....i am NOT a troll.

if you didn't see my initial post.....i said "i hope not".....meaning i don't want Leinart. i'm just recognizing that the bills could be in the mix for a landing spot for him. i'm sure Arizona called the Bills and intiated the conversation.

Edited by papazoid

Now to throw some water on the fire....Chris Brown is refuting Schefter's report, saying "The report is simply not true."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/01/leinart-rumor-erroneous/

Schefter is another of these self serving NFL 'insiders' who love to stir stuff up and look like they're in the know. Sound and fury signifying nothing. Like Peter King.

#1- the Bills have one of the WORST starting QB's in the NFL in Trent Edwards.-Yes because leinart was taken 11th overall he is better than Trent

#2- i assume the braintrust at OBD also knows this and will be looking at all possibilities to upgrade the position.-Leinart does not have the arm to play in WNY in the winter, pr anywhere for that matter, there is a reason he is getting the opportunity.

#3- Matt Leinart has a contract that FORCES arizona to dump him.-So that means we should def pick him up??

#4- by most accounts he has played well enough to get the starting job.-No he hasn't thats why they are going with Anderson, pay attention.

#5- ARZ is actively shopping him, but no one will want him at his current contract.-You have stated this already

#6- he will probably be cut by saturday, when teams go down to 53.- So will alot of players, our issue believe it or not is NOT QB right now

#7- he is still young and has UPSIDE.-So does Edwards, and he knows our offense and its characters a hell of alot better than anyone stepping in

#8- i happen to think he is BETTER than Trent Edwards, but not by much.-Your opinion

#9- he is probably an upgrade over Brohm.-Who isn't at this point

#10- he might view buffalo as a legitimate place to play and eventually start.-He might, but I am pretty sure the "brain trust" doesn't

#11- i did phrase my post in the form of a ?? question.-

#12- it certainly is a possibility. Its a possibility; the same possibility The Bills and Sabres win championships in the same year.

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

On sports center Schefter claim is Bills, Raiders and Giants expressed interest. Giants lost Sorgey so makes sense, Raiders love big arm QBs. If it was a trade Brohm for Leinhart I might take it since Fitz is gutsy and even though has a lousy arm wins with leadership. Maybe a change of scenery is what Leinhart needs not sure I am willing to go for that.

On sports center Schefter claim is Bills, Raiders and Giants expressed interest. Giants lost Sorgey so makes sense, Raiders love big arm QBs. If it was a trade Brohm for Leinhart I might take it since Fitz is gutsy and even though has a lousy arm wins with leadership. Maybe a change of scenery is what Leinhart needs not sure I am willing to go for that.

I really don't know why they hired Schefter, reporting has become such a joke. Lets see, Jamarcus Russel is released, the Bills, Browns and Seahawks are interested. What a joke, its not reporting its process of elimination.

Leinart was great in college. Fitzy isn't the most accurate guy but Leinart isn't either in the NFL. He's been checking down a lot lately which keeps his completion percentage at a decent level but other than that not too much accuracy or good consistency. I'de say both qb's are fairly on par with each other with the exception of one thing. I can see our players rallying behind a leader like Fitz but not so much behind a whiner and complainer like Leinart. Just my 2 cents.

Your two cents are worth a lot more than you think, Pilsy. :thumbsup:

...but at the very least we got 4 cents off of your post.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I choose to believe this one (he said hopefully).

No, we are choosing Leinart over Edwards, and I am not listening to anyone else. I heard it on WGR, so it's true. My mind is made up. Bills suck, The Toronto Bills.

Bills suck. Toronto Bills. Bills suck. And I am a better fan than you, you homers. You are all homers. Bills suck, you homers. Toronto Bills.

What is it with Shefter? It seems he twitters crap thats not true. Wasn't it him that twittered a trade was imminent with us and Baltimore for Gaither? This guy has no credibility with me. :thumbdown:

1) QB becomes available.

2) List all teams you think need a QB.

3) Instant news story.

4) Get back to golf game.

PTR

That probably means its going to happen now.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/01/leinart-rumor-erroneous/

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on his twitter account that the Bills were one of three teams that have discussed trading for Arizona QB Matt Leinart along with the Raiders and Giants. That report is erroneous.

Buffalobills.com has confirmed that the Bills have not had any discussions with the Cardinals in regards to Matt Leinart and aren’t anticipating any in the future. The report is simply not true.

Wow, Schefter is off to a rough start today...

Updating a previous item, Byron Westbrook has not been released and will make the trip to Arizona for Thursday's preseason finale.

It's rare that ESPN's Adam Schefter gets anything wrong, let alone a story that involves his buddy Mike Shanahan. There's likely more than meets the eye on this story, but the fact remains that Brian's little brother is still fighting for his job.

Edited by Section444

No one knows a player better than their own team and coaches. That means not only how they play but how their team responds to them. By listening to Wisenhunt's comments, Leinhart does not inspire confidence of his coaches or teammates. We need a strong leader in Buffalo and Matt would not be that IMO!

You sure about that? Fitz won 3 or 4 games for us with last years line, injuries, coaching changes, etc.

Fitz is a decent backup that can step in and make some plays.

Fitz is a decent 3rd string option and that is it. The guy is absolutely not good. Though admittedly I can't say I'd rather have Leinart in there than Fitz. But Fitz is just a terrible QB. He does have guts and it seems he has a level head - but he is a horrendous passer and should never be counted on even in a backup role.

You know, looking at his stats, I stand corrected - Anderson is also pretty bad.

And yet, he was better than and will be starting over Leinart - why do we want Leinart again? Because we can have our own slightly older version of Sanchez?

Actually, Anderson was behind Leinart until now. Also, Anderson was let go by Cleveland, the team with the worst QB roster in the league.

Fitz is a decent 3rd string option and that is it. The guy is absolutely not good. Though admittedly I can't say I'd rather have Leinart in there than Fitz. But Fitz is just a terrible QB. He does have guts and it seems he has a level head - but he is a horrendous passer and should never be counted on even in a backup role.

He was our best QB last year. He won 4 games, more than our starter. What is your point again?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Simple.

You actually get the player with a trade. A cut player can sign wherever he chooses.

He's worth a 7th round flyer in 2011.

I'd take a chance on him for a 7th. Though he'd have to be willing to re-do his contract, he's due $7.36 million with a $5.5 million roster bonus in 2011.