***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I didn't watch the ENG/SLO game but I wonder if the Slovenians put it on cruise control when it looked like the USA was not going to win? They would have advanced with a USA tie. Well too bad for them.

PTR

Yup. All the folks Prima-Donavon-ing him can STFU for a while.

Give Howard a ton of credit getting that ball up off the solid header attempt. He blazed that ball out and created the 4 on 2.

Howard is ridiculous...what a keeper!

LOL, I never will....I'm on record as being very impressed with his first two matches this WC, and this sealed the deal. The guy has evolved into a star, and the backbone of this team. His set pieces are better, his decision making is better, he's not backing down as much, and he's letting his play do the talking instead of his mouth. Kudos to him!

His set pieces are top notch, and both goals this WC were crucial. I´m so happy man. TODAY IS A GOOD DAY. I´m going to get HAMMERED TONIGHT!!! :w00t:

Oh and I believe there is a good chance we end up playing Serbia.

what a game!!! I wondered how much mud would be flying if the US got screwed on two games and didn't advance.

tghat said dream scenario Ghana and Australia win. US v. Australia in round of 16

Yeah FIFA dodged a bullet there and would've killed plenty of momentum for soccer in the USA.

Absolutely the best sports moment for me in my life. They were doing their best Buffalo impression but Team USA came through like none of my teams ever do.

Let's not get carried away. This is just Algeria. And only a group stage victory.

My best sports moment so far:

Obviously I didn't watch the ENG/SLO game but I wonder if the Slovenians put it on cruise control when it looked like the USA was not going to win? They would have advanced with a USA tie. Well too bad for them.

PTR

I had both games on (thank you CBC streaming). Slovenia tried the whole game. They knew that they were in a fragile position. The kept coming and had some decent chances, but overall, England were clearly the better team. Could have been 3 or 4 nil.

Loving the World Cup but don't know if I'll ever be a diehard soccer fan. Still can't get past guys who act like they been shot in order to get a call. But that was a great effort by the US and I'm glad they pulled it out. They deserved it and only Algeria's really good goalie was preventing it.

It's so funny seeing the US as a gritty, underdog type of team. But I really like them. It'd be great if we could pull out a game in the next round.

Let's not get carried away. This is just Algeria. And only a group stage victory.

I don't know that the opponent mattered all that much...it's the fact that we had quite literally TWO MINUTES to find a way to save ourselves and carry on in the tourney, or we're done for another four years. It's not the biggest sports moment of my life either, but that was HUGE. This is the biggest forum in world sports and we just went BIG time clutch in order to advance to the elimination bracket. My pulse is still racing! lol

Loving the World Cup but don't know if I'll ever be a diehard soccer fan.

That's okay, man....just enjoy the times when you do watch, especially times like this! :w00t:

Still can't get past guys who act like they been shot in order to get a call.

Yet you watch football where the third guy in on a 1 yard loss on first down celebrates like he won the lottery.

There's douchey behavior in lots of sports. Baseball players feel it's ok to hock loogies hour after hour...and yet that's not OK in 99% of life. Basketball players flex and pose after scoring on the easiest shot in basketball: the dunk. Soccer has the flop nad fake injury. Just another flavor of the same stupidity. Not saying you should like it but merely noting that it's hardly unique.

holy crap...if Germany wins one of the brackets will have Argentina England and Germany in it

:w00t:

Things are gettin' GOOD!

We could be looking at USA, Serbia South Korea, Uruguay

Uruguay in particular is very dangerous. Diego Forlan is a monster, and I don't know that we'd have an answer for him. I don't know much about the S.Koreans, but Serbia would be a pretty tough match up for us, too.

From out of the Cup to winning the Group in one kick...

That is why I enjoy these tournaments so much.

When my dau was a youth player, we had the exact same thing

occur in a tournament. We scored late and advanced

...and won the whole kitandkabootle

What a sham that would've been if the US didn't advance. Getting jobbed out of 2 goals got me thinking about the handball vs. Germany and some of the PK's shots against vs. S. Korea & Mexico in recent WC memory....

So has the US ever benefitted from a call that really mattered? When was the last time they even had a PK? Sure seems like we have to overcome an awful lot to win these games.

Yes it's gonna suck for the team from Deutshcland.

GO USA

I would never route for my "heritage team" over the US team, but I hope it doesn't come to that :w00t:

Loving the World Cup but don't know if I'll ever be a diehard soccer fan.

The World Cup matters so much players are giving 110% all the time. That makes it compelling. The NBA is boring until the playoffs. Hockey can be too.

PTR

Yeah FIFA dodged a bullet there and would've killed plenty of momentum for soccer in the USA.

FIFA could care less about soccer in the USA. They prefer the status quo of the Europe-S.America power base in the sport, which is why you better be prepared to see more crooked officials trying to prevent the US from advancing in the next round.

lol, just saw this posted by a friend:

Not bad, but I prefer:

Fixed

International

Football

Association