***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

That BS call hurts even more now. Had USA won today, they would have have been through already.

That said, we're back in the driver's seat. First place is still in grasp.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That BS call hurts even more now. Had USA won today, they would have have been through already.

We needa win no matter what. The boys need to man up go out and get it done.

Edu was making a run from the back and when you see that replay, he clearly didn´t even come close to fouling anyone, if anything, their defender was holding Edu. Terrible call, we won that game, what a shame.

I was telling my father when we were down two goals in the first half, that this U.S team has tons of resiliency with one of the best fit teams in the world and we have a knack for fighting back when we are behind. Today they showed a lot of heart, and it´s too bad the ref stole a game from us. I thought Altidore looked awfully tough today, such a strong player that is proving to be very effective at posting up in the attacking third, giving our team a chance to set up our offense through him. His header to Bradley was perfect.

Donovan had one of the best goals of the tournament, talk about a big goal. Totally surprised the keeper, blasted it right over him, keeper never had a chance.

England, Algeria result was perfect. 0 0 tie. If we ever get to a tiebreaker situation, we will be in good position with the goals scored tiebreaker as we have 3 and England has 1 and Algeria none. All we have to do is beat ALgeria and we are in. :thumbsup:

A win today would not have clinched anything. We still could've been eliminated in a tiebreaker.

We needa win no matter what. The boys need to man up go out and get it done.

I think U.S. can still advance with a tie now if England and Slovenia also tie and U.S. maintain the GS advantage over England (currently +2). A win is definitely better so we don't need to worry about tie-breakers.

It happens man. Be happy it didn't happen in a knock out round. Then it hurts ten fold.

Good luck against Algeria.

No team that qualifies through Europe should ever be dismissed.

And that comeback was very important. If we lost, Slovenia would have advanced. Then all England would be facing is Algeria and then a disinterested/already-advancing Slovenia.

Strike that. I should've written: "No team that qualifies through Europe should ever be dismissed."

I think U.S. can still advance with a tie now if England and Slovenia also tie and U.S. maintain the GS advantage over England (currently +2). A win is definitely better so we don't need to worry about tie-breakers.

I dont see England tie-ing in all 3 mathces. They are going to be P.O.'d coming into that next match with the tie against Algeria, a game they should have one.

We need a win not only for position, but for the confidence of the team going into the round of 16

I dont see England tie-ing in all 3 mathces. They are going to be P.O.'d coming into that next match with the tie against Algeria, a game they should have one.

On the other hand, Slovenia only needs a tie to ensure they advance. They may be very conservative in that game and play for a tie.

We need a win not only for position, but for the confidence of the team going into the round of 16

The scenario analysis is:

- we win = advance

- we lose = eliminated

- we tie and England wins = eliminated

- we tie and England loses = advance

- we tie and England ties = tie-breaker on total goals or "drawing of lots" between England and us

A win today would not have clinched anything. We still could've been eliminated in a tiebreaker.

While you are right, out of 100 likely outcomes in that case, the US would have gone through on about 90% of them.

I just finished watching the England game at the South Street Seaport: they've converted the area into a little soccer mecca with big screens and bar outside and a mini field where people can sign up to play games all day. I've been watching it from my office window for two weeks so thought it was time to go over for a game and a beer. There was a good contingent of England fans as well as a plenty of USA fans who knew a tie was a win for us!

The scenario analysis is:

- we win = advance

- we lose = eliminated

- we tie and England wins = eliminated

- we tie and England loses = advance

- we tie and England ties = tie-breaker on total goals or "drawing of lots" between England and us

England would have to score two more goals than us to tie us in goals scored. So if we tie and England ties, it's likely we advance.

PTR

I am curious to hear Gringo's take on todays game. I hope you didn't hear the result before you got the chance to watch it!

Do you want to hear my take :thumbsup:

I just rewatched the game, the full 90 minutes. A few thoughts.

1) Defense needs work. For the first goal, there shouldn't have been as much space for a shot. The defense was playing way too passive. You can't give a guy space at that point on the field.

2) Donovan's goal. WTF are the defense of Slovenia and GK doing? The GK gets out of the way of the shot and the defense was horrible. :devil: Still a great shot though.

3) I think the US team showed a lot of spirit to come back down two goals. Well done!

I think if the defense could get their act together, they will be a team that will give a hard time in the knockout stages. It is important to note that Ohneyu (sp?) has only played two full games since October back in Milan. He doesn't look fully fit but he should be able to pick up his game.

Good luck my friends. It's time to take on the Kiwi's :unsure: No matter how much history a team has, you're always stressed. :thumbsup: