***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

Couldn't wait for morning...had to get the thread started! WOOOOHOOO!!!!

The world's attention focuses on South Africa for the next 30 days...hopefully this cup will be even better than the last, which I thought was pretty darn good.

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!!

U-S-A!!!! U-S-A!!!! U-S-A!!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XM Channel 236.

Yes, I am listening to football on the radio at work.

I told the guys at work that on Sat at 2PM

there had better be a nuclear meltdown for

them to call me with a problem.

GO USA

...after the USA...GO DUTCH

Ah yes. I think they will do very well. They are always fun to watch. They do not believe in playing cautious. They like scoring goals. <_<

Oh, well... time for me to bow out for a while. I don't want to see any spoiler type info...

Gringo brought out a good point about disclaimers....

Would it be a good idea not to post scores, so that the TiVo

crowd can watch the match without any knowledge ?

My recommendation would be to post the score in white inside < >

so that you have to look for the score if if you want to.

Just an idea from this old feeble mind

And it starts.

Terrible linesman. Should be fired.

Mexico refused a valid goal.

<_<

The rule is you can't be ahead of the second last opponent and NOT the last defender. The goalie came up and Vela was behind him. That was a great call.

The rule is you can't be ahead of the second last opponent and NOT the last defender. The goalie came up and Vela was behind him. That was a great call.

You're right. I just looked it up on wiki.

As a referee, I am looking forward to seeing the replay of this.

When you have a goalie who likes to move forward, you have to be

alert as a linesman..

Too bad SA couldn't hang on for the W.

Agreed! Mexico is by far my most hated team in sports (Duke and Red Sox are not even close). !@#$ing Mexican fans throwing **** (literally) at the USA players, they cheap shot when they are about to lose, they continue to refuse to exchange jerseys with the US, and today before the game they huddled in South Africa's side pregame. The Mexican team always comes across as a bunch of punks to me. Good job South Africa! Go France! Go Uruguay!

Go USA!!!

Gringo brought out a good point about disclaimers....

Would it be a good idea not to post scores, so that the TiVo

crowd can watch the match without any knowledge ?

My recommendation would be to post the score in white inside < >

so that you have to look for the score if if you want to.

Just an idea from this old feeble mind

I don't think that is necessary. The norm on this board is to just not start a thread with a score in the Thread Title or any indication in the Thread Title about the outcome such as Yanks Rout Redcoats. Then you can still come to board but just avoid the World Cup thread until you watch whatever you recorded.

Dang, trying to get as much work done as possible so I can leave EARLY tomorrow and make it home for the big game....glad to see everyone excited about the matches and already enjoying them! Hopefully my DVR will function properly and I'll have plenty of good action - especially WC Live - to watch when I get outta here tonight.

I can't believe it's finally here!!! I'm so damn excited!!

Couple of barn burners so far....

:)

That S.African goal was a thing of beauty! Just saw the highlights...and their goalie had a couple of killer saves...wonder if Howard can get air like that?

Same thing happened with the Italia 90 goal when Italy scored vs England. As a result it is a rule the English are very aware of...

I miss Italia 90 ;)

And USA 94 ;)

And Germany 06 :(

Next WC in USA, I'm going to every Italy game :)

Actually started work 2 hours earlier today so a couple of our Mexican guys could go home and watch the game. He lives 2 mins away so I went with him to watch. Really, the Mexican team should have been up a couple goals at the half. They were lucky themselves though as the SA's hit the post in the last minute of the game

Actually started work 2 hours earlier today so a couple of our Mexican guys could go home and watch the game. He lives 2 mins away so I went with him to watch. Really, the Mexican team should have been up a couple goals at the half. They were lucky themselves though as the SA's hit the post in the last minute of the game

That's how things go. You don't always score when you should.

Good finishers are worth millions.

lol, as much as i respect soccer, having your opening day matches end 1-1 and 0-0 is not a way to win viewers. not that the World Cup needs to worry about that, i guess.

Especially the France game...that was a pretty weak display all around.

Especially the France game...that was a pretty weak display all around.

Round games usually are especially at this point.

The next game should say a lot more about the progression of the group.

Yeah, not too many thrills from Group A. I honestly couldn't say which two teams will make it out. The team with the least amount of talent showed, by far, the most spirit: South Africa. Oh man, I wish that late chance slipped in instead of off the post.

Oh, please please please, team USA, give us a good showing tomorrow! I really think we have a chance. Our back line is going to have to really step it up. They did it a year ago against Spain in the Confederations Cup, also in S. Africa. :)