***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to turn the game on right when Ghana scored on that penalty kick. What did Serbia do to get that penalty? I hope they committed murder or something. It seems ridiculous that it's so hard to score a goal, and then there's a penalty and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

This whole thing has been like watching 2 Amish kids on prom night.

I was trying to keep an open mind about it, but it's just not happening. This sport is so utterly boring to watch. The US scored one cheap goal, and had maybe two other scoring chances the whole game?

Also, what was with that annoying buzzing noise during the entire US/UK game? Is that part of the telecast, or are there 100,000 people in the stands with kazoos?

I was trying to keep an open mind about it, but it's just not happening. This sport is so utterly boring to watch. The US scored one cheap goal, and had maybe two other scoring chances the whole game?

Also, what was with that annoying buzzing noise during the entire US/UK game? Is that part of the telecast, or are there 100,000 people in the stands with kazoos?

Same story with me. I'm a natural cynic and I haven't enjoyed the soccer I've watched, but some of my friends told me about how absolutely spectacular the World Cup is, so I entered with an open mind. I gotta say I've been sorely disappointed so far.

To me, enjoying sports is all about tension. The combination of the lack of scoring chances and the very strong possibility of a tie in each game pretty much eliminates all tension.

The air horns are called vuvuzelas and they basically serve to make soccer fanatics 500% more obnoxious.

To me, enjoying sports is all about tension. The combination of the lack of scoring chances and the very strong possibility of a tie in each game pretty much eliminates all tension.

Agreed 100% Part of the "tension" is also tension with the clock, and last-second heroics. If I had to guess, you're never going to see a last-second, GW shot in soccer. Instead, the clock randomly winds up through injury time and the game suddenly stops as the players are dinking and dunking around mid-field.

Agreed 100% Part of the "tension" is also tension with the clock, and last-second heroics. If I had to guess, you're never going to see a last-second, GW shot in soccer. Instead, the clock randomly winds up through injury time and the game suddenly stops as the players are dinking and dunking around mid-field.

Good example was today's Ghana-Serbia game. Ghana scores on a penalty-kick in the 82nd minute to go ahead 1-0. Including extra time, there were about 12 minutes left for Serbia to score the equalizer. In most sports (most notably hockey) this would be 12 minutes of action pack, do or die mayhem. In this game, Serbia barely amped up their efforts (if they did at all) and the general attitude was that the game was over. One of the announcers even said "And for Serbia, who have to play Germany, this is a crushing loss."

I was thinking "WTF, THERE'S 12 MINUTES LEFT!"

I was wondering wtf that noise was, too?

I think the game would be improved if they wore spiked helmets...

From everything I've heard and read, they're really turning away a lot of casual fans trying to give soccer a shot. If the South African fans want to say that they're a part of their culture, allow them for South Africa games only.

I lasted for about 10 minutes watching today's Ger. - Aus. game before the buzzing got to me.

I lasted for about 10 minutes watching today's Ger. - Aus. game before the buzzing got to me.

I have to admit, it's annoying. After a couple games, you get used to it. Still, it has a cumulative effect of getting into your body and making you feel a little nervous or irritable. The sad part is that it completely drowns out any chanting or singing from the crowd, which is really quite pleasing to listen to and actually adds to the experience. I doubt they will make the decision now to ban them, but I will be happy if they do.

I have to admit, it's annoying. After a couple games, you get used to it. Still, it has a cumulative effect of getting into your body and making you feel a little nervous or irritable. The sad part is that it completely drowns out any chanting or singing from the crowd, which is really quite pleasing to listen to and actually adds to the experience. I doubt they will make the decision now to ban them, but I will be happy if they do.

I'm not getting used to it. I enjoyed the last world Cup, but sad to say, I'm done with this one.

It was a lunacy to allow them in the first place. With hope, the market responds and their tv ratings tumble down a diamond mine and go splat - well, at least I did my part. <_<

Good example was today's Ghana-Serbia game. Ghana scores on a penalty-kick in the 82nd minute to go ahead 1-0. Including extra time, there were about 12 minutes left for Serbia to score the equalizer. In most sports (most notably hockey) this would be 12 minutes of action pack, do or die mayhem. In this game, Serbia barely amped up their efforts (if they did at all) and the general attitude was that the game was over. One of the announcers even said "And for Serbia, who have to play Germany, this is a crushing loss."

I was thinking "WTF, THERE'S 12 MINUTES LEFT!"

why would you enjoy soccer more if you never did? The sport is setup in a way to make it difficult to score and much more based on tactics.

I hate curling. I never watched curling even when everyone was watching it and Canada could have won the gold. I hate the sport and I don't understand how anyone could like it. But that's my taste. If soccers not your cup of tea, I suggest you enjoy your summer.

Not surprised at all. Germans always do well.

I guess I had my doubts since we're in the middle of a youth movement here, but so far so good. I'm glad to see Klose picking up where he left off last WC....the guy is goal machine

I happened to turn the game on right when Ghana scored on that penalty kick. What did Serbia do to get that penalty? I hope they committed murder or something. It seems ridiculous that it's so hard to score a goal, and then there's a penalty and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

handball and fully deserved.

I guess I had my doubts since we're in the middle of a youth movement here, but so far so good. I'm glad to see Klose picking up where he left off last WC....the guy is goal machine

I can't believe he just one so far. Really, he should have a hat trick at least.

Whoops. Muller just made it 3-0.

Those !@#$ing horns are unbearable. I actually tried to get into this "sport" this year. I can't deal with the horns. Unreal. They should be banned. The problem is they are constant. Its not like is used to celebrate anything. Its just constant noise. !@#$.

Those !@#$ing horns are unbearable. I actually tried to get into this "sport" this year. I can't deal with the horns. Unreal. They should be banned. The problem is they are constant. Its not like is used to celebrate anything. Its just constant noise. !@#$.

totally agree

Years from now, soccer fans will remember this World Cup as "the one with those !@#$ing horns."

Either that, or "the one where team USA totally shocked the world and won it all!" <_<

or the one where master lippi does it again :devil:

I don't even get what the people blowing the !@#$ing things get out of the experience? Do these people actually enjoy the noise or are they just deliberately trying to annoy everybody and draw attention?

I don't even get what the people blowing the !@#$ing things get out of the experience? Do these people actually enjoy the noise or are they just deliberately trying to annoy everybody and draw attention?

There are lots of i-net articles. It was only a matter of time for ones to pop up saying that banning them would be racial discrimination. Oh brother... <_<

It's pretty fuggin ridiculous...I knew about them before the matches started, but seriously....enough with the horns. I don't know what is wrong with these people. I know it's a cultural thing, but ENOUGH already!

I don't get it either. I guess it would be the American equivalent of doing the wave constantly from the start of the match until the end? Sort of ruins the novelty of it. Just blow the fuggin things when someone scores for gosh sakes

The Germans are on fire. Looks like they want to make up for that semi final and how they lost by such heart break <_<

lol....that was AWFUL...I remember that like it was yesterday. I'm just glad that we lost to the eventual champs. That was just your guys' year, man. Nobody was stopping u in '06.

Tomorrow should be interesting!

lol....that was AWFUL...I remember that like it was yesterday. I'm just glad that we lost to the eventual champs. That was just your guys' year, man. Nobody was stopping u in '06.

Tomorrow should be interesting!

tomorrow might be dreadful. Relying too much on the old timers. I think they will

pass their group but they are not as good as I think Spain or any other of the favourites.

But anyways, 2006 was a dream that I miss a lot.