***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

tomorrow might be dreadful. Relying too much on the old timers. I think they will

pass their group but they are not as good as I think Spain or any other of the favourites.

But anyways, 2006 was a dream that I miss a lot.

Even with the Germans finishing 3rd, I really enjoyed that WC. :huh:

I hope the Italians and Germans play again this time...and throw the US into the mix...would be a blast!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it either. I guess it would be the American equivalent of doing the wave constantly from the start of the match until the end? Sort of ruins the novelty of it. Just blow the fuggin things when someone scores for gosh sakes

I can't really get a visual of these horn-blowers. In my mind, I'm picturing 100,000 people, not paying attention to the game, just on their horns, taking an occasional breath, for 90 minutes.

I can't really get a visual of these horn-blowers. In my mind, I'm picturing 100,000 people, not paying attention to the game, just on their horns, taking an occasional breath, for 90 minutes.

Same here....I don't see how they can enjoy the match when they're constantly blowing those damn things

I'm really trying to get into the Cup this year (in past years i've really only concentrated on USA games), but i just can't. Besides all of those God-awful horns (anyone caught blowing one needs to have it forcefully inserted into their rectum), soccer is still simply slow and boring. There's all this supposed "set-up" that actually gets nowhere. They take 5 minutes to move to the ball near the box, only to have a defender kick it all the way back to mid field. We still have the candy ass divers rolling around like they've been shot only to get up and walk off the field 15 seconds later. Also, someone needs to inform soccer that they actually make clocks that both keep track of time and <gasp> stop/restart. I hate the "stoppage time" where the game just ends randomly.

I'll still follow the US, but trying to watch any additional 1-0 games is soul crushing.

But the horns make it so much worse. I hope that if they continue to allow the horns, its used as a reason to never host a world cup in Africa again. Act like humans, not like the 3rd grade special ed class on a field trip to the stadium.

I'm really trying to get into the Cup this year (in past years i've really only concentrated on USA games), but i just can't. Besides all of those God-awful horns (anyone caught blowing one needs to have it forcefully inserted into their rectum), soccer is still simply slow and boring. There's all this supposed "set-up" that actually gets nowhere. They take 5 minutes to move to the ball near the box, only to have a defender kick it all the way back to mid field. We still have the candy ass divers rolling around like they've been shot only to get up and walk off the field 15 seconds later. Also, someone needs to inform soccer that they actually make clocks that both keep track of time and <gasp> stop/restart. I hate the "stoppage time" where the game just ends randomly.

I'll still follow the US, but trying to watch any additional 1-0 games is soul crushing.

But the horns make it so much worse. I hope that if they continue to allow the horns, its used as a reason to never host a world cup in Africa again. Act like humans, not like the 3rd grade special ed class on a field trip to the stadium.

Maybe just try and revisit it during the knock out rounds...you typically see more intense matchups, and the crap teams will have already been eliminated. Watch Brazil, ARgentina, GErmany, Italy, and the US. Maybe also throw in the Netherlands, cause they're often very entertaining to wtach, too. In between, just set your dvr for World Cup Live or sports center and check out the highlights. There have already been a few really nice goals, and I'm sure it's going to get much better from here. Last WC there were some of the most amazing goals I'd ever seen. If you end up still not getting into it, don't worry, it won't be on again for four years lol

Germany looked very impressive today, they were crisp in their passes, with pace and constantly attacking. They always seem to put together during the WC.

I felt the same way. I know the Aussies aren't the Brazilians, but still, Germany is a very young team and I didn't expect them to look quite that good. They may do some damage before all is said and done. I just hope they don't play the US....I hate when that happens!

I will never understand how in a sport where it is so hard to score like soccer, a referee can make a judgement call that literally gives a goal to a team: e.g. Ghana beats Serbia on a PK. Too me that is sooo effed up.

PTR

I will never understand how in a sport where it is so hard to score like soccer, a referee can make a judgement call that literally gives a goal to a team: e.g. Ghana beats Serbia on a PK. Too me that is sooo effed up.

PTR

The rule is, a foul in the box will cause a PK. It's clear. Every player knows rule # 1. In the box, you do what it takes NOT to handle the ball. Not only did the Serbian player handle the ball, he handled it so clearly it was funny.

Germany looked very impressive today, they were crisp in their passes, with pace and constantly attacking. They always seem to put together during the WC.

Germany always plays well in the WC finals. Specifically, they regularly destroy smaller teams (think 8-0 vs Saudi Arabia).

How they will fare against Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Holland, France and Italy on the other hand is another question altogether.

Very well said; I feel the same way.

I've been a big soccer-basher, but I truly am trying hard to have an open mind about it.

However, as I watch, I can't help feel that there are probably a bunch of rule-changes they could make that would make the game 1000 times more entertaining (and, of course, horrify all the purists).

As someone else suggested, I'm just going to catch the after-the-fact highlights (assuming there are some).

PTR

There are definitely examples where it's controversial, but this wasn't one of them. It was one of the clearest, most blatant hand balls I've ever seen. Just a stupid, boneheaded play that cost Serbia the match.

There are definitely examples where it's controversial, but this wasn't one of them. It was one of the clearest, most blatant hand balls I've ever seen. Just a stupid, boneheaded play that cost Serbia the match.

I'm not questioning the validity of the call. Just that a PK is such a gimme in a sport where scoring is so hard. It's like a death penalty. I can't think of a comparable rule in any other sport....maybe a PI call in the end zone where you get the football on the 1yd line.

PTR

I'm not questioning the validity of the call. Just that a PK is such a gimme in a sport where scoring is so hard. It's like a death penalty. I can't think of a comparable rule in any other sport.

PTR

I've been watching soccer for the last 15 years. Trust me, it's not always a gimme. Obviously the odds are high but the rules are clear.

Don't foul the player, and there won't be any gimme.

It's not hard. At the 90th minute, they announce how much extra time and that's it...

Why don't they just stop the clock when there's a stoppage like for injury? Is there any other timed sport where the actual time left isn't reflected on the clock? If I was a player, I'd want to know how much time I had left to score or defend, which could determine the type of play you make.

Why don't they just stop the clock when there's a stoppage like for injury? Is there any other timed sport where the actual time left isn't reflected on the clock? If I was a player, I'd want to know how much time I had left to score or defend, which could determine the type of play you make.

I don't know. It's probably a 100 year old rule. That's just it though, it's the only sport that is continuous. And it's not that complicated knowing how much time there is left.

I'm not questioning the validity of the call. Just that a PK is such a gimme in a sport where scoring is so hard. It's like a death penalty. I can't think of a comparable rule in any other sport....maybe a PI call in the end zone where you get the football on the 1yd line.

PTR

I agree 100%. It would be like having a 5 hour tennis match come down to one serve where the other player is handcuffed behind his back because he had a double fault.

Meazza, you seem to be the resident expert, and as I'm trying to give this sport a chance, I do have a legit question about the time. I get the clock doesn't stop and they add extra time, but why does it always seem like the game ends with players just milling in the middle of the field? It's seems like either 1) The refs never end the game when there's a scoring chance, or 2) the losing team always just quits at the end. If it was my team, and there was 30 seconds left, I better see them bustin ass to try to get another scoring chance!

Meazza, you seem to be the resident expert, and as I'm trying to give this sport a chance, I do have a legit question about the time. I get the clock doesn't stop and they add extra time, but why does it always seem like the game ends with players just milling in the middle of the field? It's seems like either 1) The refs never end the game when there's a scoring chance, or 2) the losing team always just quits at the end. If it was my team, and there was 30 seconds left, I better see them bustin ass to try to get another scoring chance!

The way I understand it, if the ref sees the losing team getting a scoring chance, they won't end the game and will be a little flexible with the amount of stoppage time. Once there seems to be no immediate threat from the losing team, they'll end the match.

It's number 1. It's an unwritten rule, etiquette if you will, to wait til the ball is out of the attacking third for either team, or the ball goes out of play in the attacking third and possession goes to the defending side.

I don't know. It's probably a 100 year old rule. That's just it though, it's the only sport that is continuous. And it's not that complicated knowing how much time there is left.

The continuous clock is one part of the game I actually like (shocking, I know). It's cool knowing exactly how long a game is going to last in real time. In fact, I think there shouldn't even be extra time unless there was an injury/delay which took an excessive amount of time to clear up.

As this is the group stages, I think the teams are a bit less motivated. Remember that France tied Euro 2000 with 30 seconds left to go and then went on to win in OT. The problem with the WC is that the bad teams are really bad. Nigeria could have easily tied vs Argentina but they couldn't even generate offense. Barely could string 3-4 passes together. I could tell you that I've had my share of heart breaks in the last 3-4 minutes. Wait until the knockout stages and it should be much different.

The ref is not supposed to blow the whistle when there is an attack. Usually the ref will wait until the time is right and it's usually quite fair from what I've seen. You will never see a team in the opponents end close to scoring and the ref blows the whistle.

The continuous clock is one part of the game I actually like (shocking, I know). It's cool knowing exactly how long a game is going to last in real time. In fact, I think there shouldn't even be extra time unless there was an injury/delay which took an excessive amount of time to clear up.

On average, it's 30 seconds per substitution. Throw in a couple of injuries and stoppages and you usually get 2-3 minutes.

If you don't like the horns turn the volume on your tv down. :huh:

No can do! ;)

Baseball, hockey, basketball, football - I can readily do without listening to the game commentary.

I'm a casual watcher of soccer. So for me, the announcers are important - describing plays, strategies, some words about the players, teams, etc.

No can do! :huh:

Baseball, hockey, basketball, football - I can readily do without listening to the game commentary.

I'm a casual watcher of soccer. So for me, the announcers are important - describing plays, strategies, some words about the players, teams, etc.

I have no idea who you get your feed from (mine is CBC) but I think the commentators are rather terrible.

First comment that irritated me. When Maradona threw a ball back into the field, the commentator said, "That's not the first time Maradona's handled a ball at a world cup" - Gee a bitter englishman, what a surprise.

Anytime a team takes a lead, "and it looks like it's all over, maybe a consolation goal".

Seriously this is the best they can do?

I have no idea who you get your feed from (mine is CBC) but I think the commentators are rather terrible.

First comment that irritated me. When Maradona threw a ball back into the field, the commentator said, "That's not the first time Maradona's handled a ball at a world cup" - Gee a bitter englishman, what a surprise.

Anytime a team takes a lead, "and it looks like it's all over, maybe a consolation goal".

I thought that was funny. Maradona is a douche anyway.

Open wide for some soccer!

The Continental Soccer Association is coming to Springfield!

It's all here - fast-kicking, low scoring, and ties.

You bet!

You'll see all your favorite soccer stars.

Like Adiaga! Adiaga two! Badiaga! Aruglia! And Pizzoza!

And they'll all be signing autographs.

This match will determine once and for all which nation is the greatest on earth - Mexico or Portugal!

Er...because of the buzzing, I have decided to lift my leg on WC soccer. I wasn't commenting on the "quality" of the commentary. Go back and re-read my post.

Er...because of the buzzing, I have decided to lift my leg on WC soccer. I wasn't commenting on the "quality" of the commentary. Go back and re-read my post.

I know what you wrote. I was just adding how terrible the commentators are...

No can do! :w00t:

But you can't hear the announcers anyway with all the horns blowin'. :devil: