***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

I'm not ripping on anyone who likes the World Cup, and I plan on trying to watch the USA game tomorrow. However, was that supposed to be exciting today? I'm off on Fridays, and those two games today were brutal. I'm not a soccer fan by any means, but today did nothing to even entice me as a casual fan.

I'm being serious, were those good games today, or was that the equivalent of two Bills-Browns type games?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not ripping on anyone who likes the World Cup, and I plan on trying to watch the USA game tomorrow. However, was that supposed to be exciting today? I'm off on Fridays, and those two games today were brutal. I'm not a soccer fan by any means, but today did nothing to even entice me as a casual fan.

I'm being serious, were those good games today, or was that the equivalent of two Bills-Browns type games?

that.

as some others have said, they were first round games. in a tournament like this, they were basically the first quarter of a game. teams feeling each other out. trying not to make any big mistakes. live to fight another day.

if you were looking for pure entertainment value, you're right, it was tough to find. the bigger deal was that it was the start of the world coming together. you have to think of today on that grand Olympic-esque scale.

there will be better matches as the tournament goes on.

I thought the first one was pretty good. Both teams created some chances. I thought it was exciting at the end when both teams really seemed to want 3 points instead of 1. I was into it the entire time. And it very nearly had a classic ending in the last couple minutes (that shot off the post).

The France / Uruguay game was a bit of a dud. France looks to live up to their current rep: Great on paper, a stinking turd on grass. And Uruguay played the very unattractive style of stacking defenders and basically holding on for one ugly point.

What Meazza said is true. The quality of games typically will build after the first round. And very often, the powerhouse teams will look sluggish in their first games. The popular strategy is to not come out of the gate too fast.

I won't try to convince anybody that they ought to like anything they don't like. It so happens that I am a junky for this stuff. I can't get enough, even including the 0-0 draws. For me, it's all part of the big story. Even the game Uruguay played today... it's not anything flashy, but I can really appreciate the hard work they did keeping France from scoring, especially in the late minutes. That defender in the wall who jumped up to get his head on Henry's free kick... that was something special to me. However, I can see how some people do not enjoy a game like that.

I won't try to convince anybody that they ought to like anything they don't like. It so happens that I am a junky for this stuff. I can't get enough, even including the 0-0 draws. For me, it's all part of the big story.

Very well said! Same here!

That's one of the most exciting things for me as a fan, actually. You're exactly right that it's pointless to try and convince anyone what they should and shouldn't like, but thankfully we don't need to do that. With soccer having such a solid relationship with ESPN/ABC now, and with the expansion of the MLS, enough people are being exposed to the sport that a certain percentage will naturally be drawn to the game, just like we were. The majority of people who take a look may still not find anything that appeals to them, but you can take that small percentatge that DOES get turned on by it and add them into the ever growing soccer population in the USA.

U-S-A, BABY!!!!!

(and Germany!! woohoo!!!)

12:08am counts as morning. ;)

U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!

Tru dat! That means there's only 3hr18min until the morning of the USA match!! :)

I just read an article where the author argued that the matches against our other two opponents were much more important than our match against the English. I completely disagree. I know they were probably saying that because England is sure to come out of the group, but 1) the matches aren't weighted any differently, and 2) the effort we put forth against the English will tell us a TON about how much we've grown in the last four years. I, for one, expect a LOT out of Prima Donovan. I didn't realize this guy was still in his 20s...this WC performance should best the last one easily, and he should take a clear leadership role on this squad. I want to see him look more for the open shot than he usually does. It's great he's so good with assists, but there have been too many times in the past where he should have taken the shot instead of made a dinky cross. Howard is probably the most consistent player of the bunch, so we're solid at the keeper spot. How the rest of the squad matches up against one of the best teams in the world, who knows? I dunno, I just think this is a huge statement game for us. Hopefully we'll have several big matchups to talk about for the US side this WC, and it all starts with our friends across the pond.

U-S-A!!!!

I just read an article where the author argued that the matches against our other two opponents were much more important than our match against the English. I completely disagree. I know they were probably saying that because England is sure to come out of the group, but 1) the matches aren't weighted any differently, and 2) the effort we put forth against the English will tell us a TON about how much we've grown in the last four years.

That's a good point. I think it puts a ton of pressure on the US if they drop tomorrow's match. Now they feel like it's 'must win' and I'm not sure that's the best mindset for this team given their history. Getting a point tomorrow would be huge --- obviously 3 would be fantastic.

U-S-A!!!!

:)

My predictions for Saturday:

S.Korea 2 - Greece 1

Argentina 1 - Nigeria 2 :)

England 1 - USA 1

Argentina is a great team, but they'll get coached out of this cup pretty quickly...worst coach in the cup, they have.

England-USA will be a great defensive game, it'll either be a 1-1 draw or a 1-nil victory for someone.

That's a good point. I think it puts a ton of pressure on the US if they drop tomorrow's match. Now they feel like it's 'must win' and I'm not sure that's the best mindset for this team given their history. Getting a point tomorrow would be huge --- obviously 3 would be fantastic.

:)

If USA ties tomorrow, it won't be the first time they draw-ed against the eventual WC winner. ;)

Beware of Don Fabio, he will have his team ready tomorrow.

I'm rooting for Nigeria to beat Argentina because their deposed king sent me an email and promised to make me a millionaire.

I'm rooting for Nigeria to beat Argentina because their coach is a pig headed coke head who scored the game winning PK against Italy back in 1990.

So is SK that good or Greece that bad?

If the refs hadn't taken away two solid chances from SK in the 1st half that game could have been ugly on the scoreboard.

I think South Korea is that good. They play a precise, compact passing game. They've got some good finishers. They're surprisingly tough physically (given that they are not too large, and play more of a skilled game). And they have a world-class player in Park Ji-Sung.

I doubt they'll beat Argentina, but they could. Should be an interesting game with lots of sweet passing.

My take on the first half....

I LOVE the fact that PrimaDonovan created and took a couple of shots...one of them was almost gold. I also really like him on set pieces so far...Altidore was a few inches away from putting a header in the net. I think it's clear that our ball movement and passing has improved a fair bit since 2006...we're not being disposessed nearly as often. That being said, the back line SUCKS!! I guess we all expected this to be our weakness, but my gosh, CLEAR THE FUGGIN BALL!!! How many second and third opportunities did the English have back there in that first half? Howard's job is tough enough as is....let's not make it even tougher on him.

That "hand of Jesus" goal might come back to be very significant....I still can't believe it went it. Green better file his last will and testament before heading back to England <_<

I sure hope so.

Thank goodness Tim Howard is OK after getting kicked.

When I saw the replay the first time, it looked like the defender's cleat went into Howard's forearm while it was pressing into the ground...I was scared that he broke it at first. He's a gamer, though....thank God he's okay.

1-1 !@#$ yeah! Dempsey makes it happen! Englands goalie sucks! Just keep putting it on net! And the USA offense looks awesome today!

I've been impressed with their ability to control the ball and create scoring chances. Donovan's cross was beautiful, too bad they couldn't finish on that one. But I'll take Dempsey's goalie-confidence rattling score! <_<

The defense however, has been atrocious. They really need to get it together. Thank God Howard is ok.

Some one asked if the USA team had a team nickname.

The defense could be called "Swiss Cheese" since it seems to have so many holes.

Thank goodness for Tim Howard.

:devil:

I like "Sons of Sam" <_<

Some one asked if the USA team had a team nickname.

The defense could be called "Swiss Cheese" since it seems to have so many holes.

Thank goodness for Tim Howard.

I love the nickname for the other England goalkeeper: Calamity James <_<

I was impressed with the USA today. Their passing was fluid, they kept good control of the ball, and they had many good scoring opportunities. Howard was excellent and just might be the best goalie in the WC. And the US speed really presented problems for England. That was one of the best teams in the world. Even though England looked sloppy at times, this game shows me that the US can hang with anyone. Their D is a serious concern though. Bad communication all day. All in a all a very well played game by the USA IMO

Good result against a very good team. Those last 15 minutes were a little scary as England turned up the heat, but Altidore almost had a game winner.

Tim Howard was clearly the best player today, he put on a Milleresque performance.

Looking forward to the next one!

Good result against a very good team. Those last 15 minutes were a little scary as England turned up the heat, but Altidore almost had a game winner.

Tim Howard was clearly the best player today, he put on a Milleresque performance.

Looking forward to the next one!

What's with the way the USA coach dresses? Trying to copy belichik?

Capello must be fuming.

Definitely will take that result...I'm happy our defense held up for the second half, and Howard...wow, what a game. That guy is a fantastic keeper. I think all the time abroad has really helped PrimaDonovan, cause the guy is standing out much more now than he ever did before, IMO. His ball control is better, his decisions are better, and he looks like he actually belongs against the best. Not happy at all with DeMerritt....just a horrid showing today. Bonehead Bocanegra still concerns me a lot, too...wish we had a few more Onyewus back there. Oh well...

We're in good shape for the next two matches, which I expect us to win. We'll get out of the group with a total of 7 pts and be ready for some big matches in the knock-out stage!

I call him "Bob Jauron" to my friends who follow futbol, and they always get a chuckle out of it. I also thought that while the defense was woeful to start, they kept a guy like Rooney in their hip pocket and pretty much a non-factor, which was outstanding.

A lot of cautious futbol so far. I'm looking forward to seeing some more exciting play coming up from Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Brazil in the next few days. I expect Germany to dominate over Australia later today, but that figures to be the typical somber 1-0 game from Germany.

In the meantime, what a shame Michael Essien could not be there for Ghana. Such a world class player. Ghana still has great energy, but they really miss him.